Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 - Sync Local Outlook Calendar

convertedapple

Lumia 800 - Sync Local Outlook Calendar

Surely Nokia / Microsoft will put out a fix to allow those of us who do not / cannot use cloud based services to sync all our appointments and data ?

Or am I clutching at straws ?

I don't want to go back to an iPhone as I love the Lumia 800 but I may have to................

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peturh

I have the same problem. Everything was so easy w/earlier Nokia models and Nokia Suite
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

peturh wrote:
I have the same problem. Everything was so easy w/earlier Nokia models and Nokia Suite

Keep in mind it's a different operating system and a farily new one at that. I know a lot of people ask for this so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in future updates of the OS.

There are some options, using Hotmail as the backend with Outlook/Connector to sync Outlook to Hotmail. An Office 365 (while cloud based) is another option to sync to Outlook.

There are advantages to having Cloud based storage, when I purchased a Lumia 900 to replace my aging Samsung Focus, took me litterly a minute of entering some account information to get all my contacts, emails, calander etc on my new device.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Shoey5 wrote:

There are advantages to having Cloud based storage, when I purchased a Lumia 900 to replace my aging Samsung Focus, took me litterly a minute of entering some account information to get all my contacts, emails, calander etc on my new device.

Sorry, but where's the advantage? If I have an offline connector I can do the sync against outlook (or whatever) where I store calender entries, contacts etc. locally with any phone too.

I live in a small European country and I'm often outside my home country. Roaming (especially data roaming) is still expensive in Europe and having just the cloud sync is can come quite expensive.

For me e.g. Windows Phone (unfortunately, basically I like the OS) is an absolute no-go as long as there's no offline sync. 

Hopefully WP8 changes this.

Regs, Stephan

Nokia N8 dark grey, Symbian Belle
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
coyotepup4

I have been tackling this problem for over a year.  Microsoft does not provide any known way in Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 to update contacts through a closed, two-way connection over USB, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi.

In fact, they took this even one step farther.  They have no API (Application Programming Interface) for USB, Wi-Fi, or Bluethooth.  With any one of these, an enterprising programmer could write an APP that does it.  Android phones have the same limitation, but they have APIs so APP programmers have created synch software.

Microsoft then added insult to injury.  Windows Phone 7would not allow any APS to read or write contacts except for the one that came for the phone.  7.5 will at least let you write APPS that can read it but not write.

I'm sorry.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for the inconvenience that the limitations may have caused you in either personal or work based basis.

I will raise this issue up and see if I can get a answer for you, but please be rest assured that your issues are not overlooked and we are trying to raise as much as we can to the technical experts and developers. 

As for being in the future updates, we cannot comment on this as no official statement or information has come about, but keep a close eye on these threads.

Thank you for the support in purchasing a Lumia and we hope you are enjoying the phone despite this issue you have.

Kind Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jerryaz

Even though the "How To" links from Microsoft say you can synch your local  Outlook Contacts/Calendar to the 900, this is not the case.  The only way is to synch via Hotmail/Live and the 900 (works fine), but not by local Outlook on my PC.  That is frustratiing because now I have to do double entries (900/Hotmail) and then on my local Outlook.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

jerryaz wrote:

Even though the "How To" links from Microsoft say you can synch your local  Outlook Contacts/Calendar to the 900, this is not the case. "

Actually it's not entirely incorrect, Outlook is and is really meant to be a client for an Exchange server, that's what Microsoft means. I sync my contacts with Outlook but they are stored on an Exchange Server, therefore, all my "Outlook" (Really Exchange) information is sync'd to my phone.

Though like yourself, a lot of people seem to use Outlook without Exchange. I think Microsoft is acknowledging this as a LOT of people are using Outlook locally. As is apparent by the site Microsoft setup....

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jerryaz

Thanks Shoey5, you are correct.   I contacted Microsoft support and got the same response!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Download and install the Microsoft Outlook Hotmail connector.

I never have to double up my calendar entries. I just enter it on my 800 or my Outlook and it syncs to my hotmail account and to the other side.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

It should be that every time Outlook goes to perform a sync operation that the calendar/contacts will sync to your hotmail account. And, every time your phone syncs to hotmail, it will receive the information. The same should go for entries/changes made from the device.

I have no issues at all with making calendar entries in outlook and having them appear on my phone after it performs a sync interval.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
woofmiester

the company that I work for has just recalled all of its Nokia 800's due to this issue as most of use work abroad from time to time and its causing serious issues. I guess when the IT guy read Outlook and Windows I guessed they thought it would be a match made in heaven....they guessed wrong :-) Should have bought iPhones = No issues

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Wouldn't you, at work, be set up with an exchange account? Your calendar in Outlook should sync perfectly fine via Exchange, should it not?

Please use plain text.