Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 Turning itself off!

Advisor
lukejade

Lumia 800 Turning itself off!

Dear NOKIA, up until now I have just put up with this phone simply because it has lots of style and and I really like the look of it, obviously as you're probably aware this phone has had lots of complaints most of which are very valid points (BATTERY LIFE, LACK OF BLUETOOTH, LACK OF NOTIFICATIONS, NOT BEING ABLE TO CUSTOMIZE AN SMS TONE, NO MASS STORAGE) Over the last 3 months I have chose to put up with this but today I can no longer 'just put up with it'.......

Last night I set my three alarms on my Lumia to ensure I woke up for work on time, I woke up an hour late for work with no sign of an alarm!(5am) This probably had a lot to do with the fact the phone had turned itself off! I turned it back on, and left for work.  by the time i arrived at work (5.30am) the phone had once again turned itself off! By 8am I noticed again phone was off, surprisingly at 10am I needed to use the phone and it was ON and ready to use! However by 12midday it had turned itself off again! In all the phone has turned itself off 6 times today! obviously the phone had been charged to full capacity over night so has had pretty much a full charge most of the morning? So can someone explain what is going on with it, and what is my next step, I can put up with most things (cosmetic) but how on earth do you expect customers to want to use a phone that is more unreliable than british rail in the 80's? IF there is such a thing in the nokia world as 'customer care' would they PLEASE reply to this post???

Luke, an extremely frustrated, leaning toward disgruntled Nokia Lumia 800 user

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nightboat

Re: Lumia 800 Turning itself off!

Me too.

There have been a few instances over the past few weeks where I've experienced some of the other problems mentioned in the forum, such as not being able to end a call, and the phone running out of battery and turning itself off mid-use even though the battery icon shows it at a low, not critical, level.

But in the past couple of days, my phone's gone off the rails, freezing often or, just as often, turning itself off (not mid-use) and not responding easily to me trying to switch it back on.

It is such a shame. I thought Nokia was supposed to be reliable. After a brief daliance with the disastrous N73, I was giving Nokia a second chance when I opted for Lumia. But I'm falling out of love with this phone so quickly, and having started off being able to - and willing to - recommend it to everybody, with these issues happening I'm afraid I can't recommend it to anybody.

(And don't start me on the camera quality, which is abysmal.)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cdpinker

My black Nokia Lumia 800 on BT also turns itself off randomly. Just now I glanced at the screen that had lit up and was booting up again, so it had somehow restarted itself. Very poor.

Please use plain text.
freetail

I'm having the same problem with my Lumia 800 restarting. The first device did this so regularly I had to have it swapped out for a new (well, refurbished) device. I know four other people with this device, two of whom report no problem but one of whom has had the same issue and also had to have her device swapped out. Even with the replacement, I'm noticing that the phone is restarting 2-3 times a day and there is no pattern to this behaviour. Often happens when the phone is dormant but also ocassionally when in use. Very frustrating but not sure if entirely linked to this phone as I had to change our my LG Optimus for the same reason - it started restarting after an earlier update (no longer available to me to roll back to). So, is it Windows or the phone? Either way, Nokia, really like a response to this as it's not great and having encouraged my other friend to select WP7 over iPhone, it's starting to look like bad advice. We all love the OS and the style of the phone etc is awesome. Battery life is poor but perhaps a future update will fix this but the restarting is an annoyance that can't be ignored and I'll be sending this phone back for a replacement too if the problem persists.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

Re: COUNT ME IN TOO: OMG - MY Lumia 800 Turning itself off!

My Cyan Lumia 800 was bot from 3 and unlocked for use on Vodafone (but I still get the "3" screen on start-up).  It is hardware x.3 and recently the 7740 OS update was loaded, but NOT the firmware, and I am still waiting.

While on the 7720, ie before the OS update, the device NEVER froze, nor restarted, stable as a ROCK.  I did not have much problems with the battery, ad franly did not notice any change after the OS update. 

Now, a day or two ago, it sort of "half" froze - dimmed screen, can scroll the tiles but nothing else happens.  I somehow managed to restart it (press volume-down and power-on button) and it went away. 

Today, it began powering down randomly and even restarting, only beins to work when I plug into charger.

OMG. what else is in store, do I have to humiliate myself to all my friends that have the iThing and sheepishly go to the darl side.  Pls help!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

sorry, my WP version is 8107 after update, not 7740.

Also, I noticed now (ie after the OS update) the battery life is actually worse than before, which was initially erratic,  but then quite good.  I looked at Diagnostics (probably first time since the update to 8107)

Whereas before, my max charge was 1,540 or so, now it is barely 1,500 and the available chagre was 1,340 - now under 1,300 but that is not a real porblem.  What seemed to be the problem was that the discahrge was indicated at above 250 steadily, whereas before, in "steady state" it was under 150.  I changed from 3G to "E" and it cae down to 150 - but before the update, 3G was not causing higher drain...sigh.

I think BTW that before the update, in the Settings/Network screen, the 3G was a slider, now a drop-down menu - I have not noticed any other visual changes after the update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

My phone has been doing this since the latest update too and it is incredibly annoying and reflects really poorly on Nokia and WP.

Annoyingly, it will also not turn on properly. You press or hold the button for ages, eventually it might start, but no guarantee. At least the boot up is quick.

I took a leap of faith by trying Nokia and WP, I now sincerely regret it and will not be getting another given the poor and random battery life, buggy apps from a practically empty marketplace and now this ridiculous glitch that should have been spotted during the QA process.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleaneasy

Sadly Im also having this same problem, its been happening for a few days now, I think I updated the phone but not 100% sure so this may or may not be the issue my side. 

As with the poster above I'm also having problems turning it back on once its turned itself off.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

1. The erratic "power-up" is a well know problem, very annoying indeed, when you dont know what the problem is, and you are disconnected from the world without certainty when it will be powering-up.  Why has Nokia not acknowledged this critical problem?

2. My Cyan Nokia has not been doing the "power-down and out" problem since yesterday, I wonder if this happens when battery is under say 30%?

3. Another Nokia flaw, not related to the Lumia: why is it that when I want to post anything on this forum, I have to login?  Moreover, I dont mind to login, when I am logged in anew, the forum does not bring me to the place that I wanted to reply?

Please use plain text.
DamonBui

I am having the exact same issue and cannot get a response from Nokia support team.  The phone turns itself of 4-5 times a day and as it's my business phone, it is exceptionally frustrating and costly for me!  It's also a recent issue which suggest it's due to a software update?

When I call Nokia support and checking that my firmware was up to date, all they suggest is to do a factory reset (which has not solved the problem) or send it back to the Nokia factory (which means I'll be without a phone for 10 days or more!).

I was a fan of the phone and operating system, and have been raving about it to my friends.  But how Nokia can be so behind in the smartphone race and yet release such a faulty device without proper support baffles me. 

Unfortunately, they are fast losing this advocate for the phone.  Honestly speaking, much more of this and I will be giving up on the brand for good!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nightboat

I was advised to reset to the most recent restore point, i.e. prior to the latest software update, which I did - but this hasn't solved the problem. If DamonBui has tried a factory reset and that hasn't solved the problem either, then there doesn't seem much point trying the same - so I'm going to take it back to the shop and hope they give me a replacement.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jonnyh85

I suffered terribly with the phone turning off over the last week. However, I have noticed that whilst plugged into the charger or whilst the phone is on battery saver the handset remains stable. (at least for a day, so far...) I have tried the restore and factory reset both of which have not resolved the problem. Reccomend anyone gives the battery saver option a go and see if they too notice any improvement. (I agree, you shouldn't have t resort to this!!)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleaneasy

Just posting to update...mayafab suggested it might be related to the battery going below a certain level. This seemed a plausable option so I've been monitoring it. 

Today it stayed plugged in while at work and turned itself off twice, on leaving work (and so not plugged in) but on full battery charge it had turned itself off while on route home. Plugging in at home it was off again when I returned to it, in each instance it was within full charge.

As others have mentioned above this isnt acceptable, and makes the phone useless, I'll be taking it into a Vodafone store this weekend and if they're unable to resolve it requesting a replacement either Lumia or entirely different handset. 

I'll let you all know how I get on :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mayafab

My problem's gone, touch wood for more than 24 hours.  All is stable again, battery life decent etc.  Even though today my kids were gaming with it heavily and discharged the battery to a "critical level" notification, there was no problem, so my hypothesis that it happens under a certain battery level is probably incorrect.

I do suspect that there is a "rogue" process that screws the CPU behaviour and/or drains the battery.  This happens internmittently and therefore so hard to catch.  I wud suggest that if you suffer from an "out-of-the-blue" problem (ie, like me, a stable phone even after the update, then suddenly, freezing once and then the self shut down, etc) then one shud look for a background process on the CPU.  Not that I know how, but that seems to be the problem cause.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lukejade

Well I could no longer carry on with that, on Monday EVERY SINGLE time I tried to use the phone it was off and had to turn it on via holding down the power button for anything up to 30seconds before it came back on!

I'm now using my replacement lumia which I demanded vodafone provide! After about 30mins of this device being plugged in and turned on.....guess what??...... It turned itself off!!!! However since then (8 hours ago) it has stayed alive and well and able to do all things you might expect from a mobile communication device..!! My fingers are well and truely crossed, I must also add that the battery seems much much better than the first lumia at full charge it was telling me 100% 1 day and 18 hours remaining which I would never have had a chance of getting on my old one, I updated to the latest software soon as I plugged it in so I'm running the same software as I was when the last one started switching off, so at present I'm quite happy with the phone but I really do have a strong feeling its not gonna last!!!!! We'll see

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nightboat

Well my phone has taken a turn for the worse. It turned itself off overnight and now, when I switch it back on, stays stuck on the Nokia screen! Back to the shop it must now go.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Betrayed

Same problem.... intiially I thought it runs out of battery but then I realized it's rebooting itself.

Nokia.. please sort this problem out.  It's the most annoying feature. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gu7brian

I thought I was going mad, but after reading this I know I'm not. I sent my Lumia back for repair last week because it kept rebooting itself, often waking me in the middle of the night. Got a replacement phone yesterday from Vodafone and guess what ? It's doing exactly the same ! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nightboat

Anyone from Nokia care to comment on this problem?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lukejade

Nobody from Nokia seems to give a monkeys, and I've noticed any comments from Nokia representatives on here are filled with attitude, they need to acknowledge that they really have messed up with this phone. All they tell you is either reset it or take it back to shop!
its an absolute joke that they could put a phone on the market when evidently it's actually still in the testing phase and we are paying for the pleasure of being the guinea pigs!........ Apart from all that my new phone is really working well, hasn't switched off once and I've had this one over 48 hours now, and generally working as it should, you've really excelled yourselves this time Nokia! 48 whole hours, I'm amazed
Please use plain text.