Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 Turning itself off!

Advisor
tacolinoqc

Re: Lumia 800 Turning itself off!

[ Edited ]

Well apparently NOKIA is really **bleep** people off.  I will be joining that LARGE group of **bleep** off users!  Not to say that I have 2 Lumias and BOTH are having this problem.  Yesterday my wife's Lumia completely shut off after an overnight charge - it was 2 hours after she unplugged from charger that the handset turned off.  NOW the phone is showing a drained battery and when I hold the reset button for a at least 30 seconds it still DOES NOT turn on.  Mine on the other hand just switches off whenever it feels like it.  When I am on a call, it switches off, when I play a game it heats up and my hands catch fire.  This IS TERRIBLE!  Not to say that I have recommended this phone to all of acquaintances and I've done two market research projects for my MBA thesis on this damn campaign and handset!! I am HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY disappointed with what is going on. 

Can someone PLEASE recommend what we should do/where we should turn to resolve this irritating situation?.. Do we go to the place where we bought it? - because I got it from Dial A Phone, and I don't trust them. Do I turn to NOKIA to send it for repair? DO I throw it in the trash and smash it with a hammer? 

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Post has been edited as it contained offensive language which is inappropriate to Nokia Discussions board. Please follow the Forum Guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleaneasy

tacolinoqc wrote:

Can someone PLEASE recommend what we should do/where we should turn to resolve this irritating situation?.. Do we go to the place where we bought it? - because I got it from Dial A Phone, and I don't trust them. Do I turn to NOKIA to send it for repair? DO I throw it in the trash and smash it with a hammer? 

Your contract is with the company you bought the phone from not Nokia, so like them or not you'll need to go back to Dial a Phone, thats not to say companies don't make exceptions to the rule but legally thats the situation

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lukejade

@ 'moderators note' ....MODERATOR’S NOTE: Post has been edited as it contained offensive language which is inappropriate to Nokia Discussions board..........
Errrm what do you expect Nokia when there is such a big issue that you are showing absolutly no interest in!! People are bound to get irrate and frustrated by it!!!!! SORT IT OUT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jonnyh85

I found that my phone was stable when i had it set in 'battery saver mode'. I then noticed when It has turned off I had recieved multiple emails pushed to the phone from Hotmail. I have tried setting the email sync to manual, which HAS stabilised the phone for the whole day. Before it was turning off regularly less than every hour... Worth a go to see if anyone else has some luck with this.
Please use plain text.
pejohn

Oh Dear!

Hi guys. 4 weeks in to the Lumia experience, phone turning on & off at random, difficult to navigate through the phone, difficult to navigate through to 'people'  to call.....what a shame. Phone has been fine until this week. Updated to latest software 4 weeks ago when phone was new and worked fine until this week, very weired. What's gone on this week to cause this?

I don't run any apps, as far as I know, in the background and don't use social networking at all. Battery is fully charged yet still I have noticed this strange behaviour. I am willing to give Nokia a short time to correct this, surely not beyond the realms of all those highly paid techies they employ? This is my first nokia after 10+ trouble free years with Ericsson. Not an auspicious start! Come on Nokia you have the makings here of a very fine phone, let's get with it...please. Would appreciate an early fix as friends are having a bit of a snear at 'nokia & windows' expense, now getting embarassing.

Is there anyone there fom Nokia to reply????

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zuritamarduk

[ Edited ]

What's the weather like? At what temperatures does your phone turn itself off?

Because my cyan N9 has the same problem too. It's because of the cold I think, if you call +5C "Cold" of course.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pe12

[ Edited ]

Same here. My black Lumia 800 has turned itself off every now and then. Mostly when I'm trying to call to somebody. The phone starts calling, but then you don't hear any signals. After I have waited for ten or so seconds, the phone boots itself and shows an empty battery image (red line in the bottom of battery). Yet, the battery is normally in these situations about fully charged. After that the phone works perfectly a couple of hours or days for instance.

This is very annoying. You'll never know if it will be working or not, when you have to make an urgent call. This is not the business communication quality that I need when talking with customers.

I bought the phone from Movistar in Madrid for one or two months ago.

It's strange that there are no positive comments from Nokia here on this topic although the first reclamation has been entered already for 10 days ago. As a Finn I'm not too proud of such lack of professionalism there at Nokia. I still have some patience left. I hope that you there will find a solution to the problem soonest, Señores Nokia.

Best Regads.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lukejade

Well I've had my new/replacement/reconditioned lumia now for 3 days and as much as I was trying to convince myself that 'this one's alright', it really isn't! In the 3 days I've had it it's switched itself off about 8 times! All at different times i.e. Full charge, outside in cold, inside in warm, 50% charged, whilst in a call, whilst surfing web, etc, etc so there's really no pattern or reason for it! I don't really know why I'm bothering to relay this information on this forum because it doesn't seem to be an issue Nokia deem to be high on their list of priorities as NOT ONCE HAS ANYONE FROM NOKIA EVEN ACCEPTED THAT THIS IS AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS AND VERY VALID ISSUE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE SEEM TO BE EXPERIENCING ! How can you (Nokia as a company) be aware that your latest top of the range phone is NOT ACTUALLY FIT FOR PURPOSE yet do nothing about it when your customers are screaming out for support!!!??? YOU ARE FAST BECOMING A TOTAL JOKE OF A COMPANY AND OBVIOUSLY LACK ANY CUSTOMER CARE........ I came back to Nokia after having an h.t.c. Android but unless nokia do something about this problem looks like the galaxy s2 for me, from what i hear the galaxy s2 actually does what a mobile phone was invented to do! (hold a charge, be able to call people) NOKIA AND MR GATES, dunno who this fault lies with and don't know if you even care (probably doesn't matter now people have lined your pockets with millions of pounds from faulty/not fit for purpose handsets) but if  nothing gets sorted in next few weeks weather you care or not I'll be off to a company that makes devices that work properly.

Luke(totally **bleep** off with it all)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tacolinoqc

[ Edited ]

So I went to Phones4U and I exchanged my wife's phone ... BRAND NEW Lumia ... FULLY 20 hour charge, from 6 PM on friday night to 9 AM saturday... On saturday it turned itself off 14 TIMES!!!!! 14!!!!!!!! I was at work, and I tried to call her for half an hour, her phone was OFF, with FULL battery.... this is very depressing and very irritating and not to say i am about to say some very nasty things to/about NOKIA!! IF YOU DO NOT RESPOND TO OUR PROBLEM I WILL COMMENCE A FULL CAMPAIGN AGAINST YOU .. and TRUST ME , I can notice way more problems with the LUMIA than I initially have. THIS IS A JOKE, and we are treated accordingly. You  do not care about us! My phone is turning on and off, I have an emergency on Sunday afternoon and while calling the AMBULANCE the phone switched off... are .. you SERIOUS?! ./.... FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators notes: Profanity removed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tacolinoqc

[ Edited ]

and i thought this was nokia S U P P O R T ?!?!?!?! ... where's the support?!

Moderators notes: Profanity removed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleaneasy

my phone has now been ok since late thursday night, *touch wood*

If the problem starts up again I won't delay in taking it back and given the failure to resolve the problem others replacements have had I'll be asking Vodafone for an entirely different handset. Not something I want to do, when it works I rather love this phone, but this isnt acceptable so please Nokia figure out whats happening so we can all love the phone in peace :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lukejade

Hi Mr Raoul_Duke, I notice you had the time to read through this thread and remove the 'profanity' left by very frustrated customers experiencing valid problems with their phones (last edited on 20-Feb-2012 07:23 AM by Raoul_Duke) half of the frustration (leading to the 'profanity') is the distinct lack of ANY customer 'care' or any form of explanation or acceptance or basically any response AT ALL yet I notice you can trawl through threads removing 'profanity' yet don't even bother to get involved in the issues we are having here, not even an 'I'm sorry your experiencing these issues, we're trying to rectify it in next update' but instead Nokia just ignore the problem like it doesnt exist????

On another not i must say although the last update seems to have given us this reboot/switching off problem it has certainly fixed the poor battery life issue, before the update out of a full charge i was getting about 12 hours (if i was lucky) but since the update a full charge nearly gives me 2 DAYS normal use of battery life!! This is brilliant but not at the expense of the phone turning itself off instead! At least when the battery was the problem you could carry a charger around with you everywhere you went but what do you do for a phone that turns itself off intermittently throughout the day ??!! come on RAOUL_DUKE GIVE US SOME ANSWERS , Why is this happening? Are nokia aware and working on this problem, What is the next step? Does anyone a vodafone give a monkeys??
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DavidSalazarPar

This has really become quite a problem, my Windows Phone Developer Nokia Lumia 800 not only randomly turns off with no derrmined pattern, but it also hangs calls at any point of the call. I've tried to get in touch with Nokia's representatives that sent the device but the haven't yet answered. Even thought the device is quite appealing, its a huge problem the fact that it has all this issues, even my old Samsung Focus SGH-i917 works flawlessly with the 8107 update installed by force, and the Lumia which has all the updates in the "legal" and nice way works like a piece of **bleep**. I really hope Nokia fix all this issues cause honestly I've been waiting a long time since Windows Mobile, for a Nokia Windows device. Please Nokia give us a hand in this one!!!

David Salazar
Software Engineer
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Betrayed

yes.. come on Nokia.... any answer???? I'm sick of this... If you list this "turning off" as one of the features on the box, I wouldn't buy it... this is becoming a joke... it's almost there to annoy you.. ever since it happened, it's becoming more frequent.... At least give us some reassurance that you're looking into the problem rather than concern yourself with genuine users' profanity... 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Betrayed

No... last time I checked, they give **bleep** Windows..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
paddyrose

I have found this phone for the top of the range to be a complete disaster, with very poor support from nokia, I have been waiting to get this phone and now that I have it I am very disappointed, low volume, poor ringtones, Bluetooth issues,not working with ovi suit, shutting off, as and from yesterday I changed back to my e5 nokia no issues easy to use Bluetooth all OK,connected to my ovi suite immediately,  and I advise all to send the lumia back or get it changed this is my course of action anyhow,

Dump it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Wixtr

So, same issues as all of you. Hung on the phone with Nokia, It seems a reset is in order..
I was told to update my phone to the latest version available, then do a factory reset, then re-update.
I'm going to try this tonight. The Lumia doesnt necesarily turn itself off, its freezing, thats why holding down the power button for 10 seconds and restarting is what gets the phone going again. 

In all likelyhood its a conflict between WindowsPhone software and Nokia's firmware.. 

Will keep you posted if this solves it for me..

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

this is Yvonne from Nokia Care. Thanks for your feedback on this issue. We are investigating it and we hope to share a solution as soon as possible.

In the meantime, to help us with the investigation, please provide us with the following information:

1) your country and city

2) your operator network.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DavidSalazarPar

Thanks Yvonne, really need this problem to finish, as a Windows Phone Developer, I've been eager to tell my customers to trust Nokia Lumia brand, but so far I've been keeping it in low profile until it really works. I've been a Nokia and Windows Mobile user for a long time and now with Nokia and Windows Phone as one I hope it work even better than iOS with iPhone or any Android device. My case is a bit more complicated since the phone not only turns off randomly, no pattern or reason, simply turns off and sometimes reboots. Now, more commonly it hangs calls randomly too, I suspect this last is due to the carrier, Tigo in Colombia. Since Windows Phone platform is barely being introduced and so far Tigo is testing some devices, I believe the Samsung Focus W, they might be offering devices at the end of 2012, hopefully Nokia will be in their lineup. My concern so far goes to the Lumia 800 I own as a Windows Phone Developer Device given by Nokia to test it. It has been updated to version 7.10.8107.79 with no problem, but the calls hanging down has been happening before that, no battery issues, actually since the begining the battery reported 1,525 mAh of charge in the Diagnostics App, so battery haven't been an issue and I've only used the provided charger. Im attaching a picture taken from the Diagnostics app where yo can detail some of the battery performance, might be a reason for the rebooting or turning off issue, still, again, I hope you can help too with the hanging call problem, cause I have to recall sometimes even 5 times to get a call done, cause they last about a minute or two and it really gets to be a pain in the ... I've been confident about Nokia and really hope you can help us solve this since I really want to put my old Samsung Focus Gen1 (SGH-i917) in the drawer and use full of confidence my Lumia 800.

Thanks, and anything you might need as support information just ask for it, any help to solve this helps.

David Salazar
Software Engineer
Please use plain text.
Advisor
WhiteAlien

[ Edited ]

skyee wrote:

Hi all,

this is Yvonne from Nokia Care. Thanks for your feedback on this issue. We are investigating it and we hope to share a solution as soon as possible.

In the meantime, to help us with the investigation, please provide us with the following information:

1) your country and city

2) your operator network.

Thank you!

A.r.E y.o.u. r.E.a.l.?. :smileysurprised:

1. France, Paris
2. Bouygues

Can I have your phone number so we can talk a little :smileywink:

Please use plain text.