Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 Voice Recognition...

Advisor
aziraphale

Lumia 800 Voice Recognition...

i've recently discovered that the Lumia's voice recognition software is quite good. I mainly use it for text responses as i find the portrait keyboard too small, and landscape's full stop key is too large (for me) so i keep hitting that instead of space bar.

the only gripe i've got is that the voice software doesn't know how to punctuate. how do you persuade it to use commas, question/exclamation marks etc? do you have to directly instruct it like .."hey comma how are you question mark"?

i wouldn't have trouble going back and simply punctuating what was in the message before sending, except that it's damn hard to do so. there's no "back" key for the cursor, you have to touch where you want the cursor to be and 9 times out of 10 this simply highlights the whole word you've touched - it's damn hard to get the cursor into a word space!

is this to be addressed? anyone else with the same issues? i like the software but can't properly use it....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Doug48

Re: Lumia 800 Voice Recognition...

I cannot believe you would say how good it is . It can only recognise 1 name out of 200 names in my contact list. Even simple names like Ian or Glenn it does not recognise. When it has read names back to me the pronunciation has been absurd, for example pronouncing Leah as Lee or Fozzard as Fizzerd. This is not just the difference between Australian accents and us but bad programming. I am a long time user and loved my Nokia E71 but this phone is rubbish.

I find it absurd that you cannot send PDF via email. for that matter I cannot get me POP3 outgoing email account to even work.

What a backward step in technology.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
happytoon

@doug48 I am sorry to read that you have issue with the voice recognition... On my personal experience, I have been using Nokia (symbian) device for ever and the voice recognition never really worked for me... With the Lumia, it works brilliantly indeed... a vast improvement vs the Symbian voice interface... I am french, ie with a strong accent in english and the voice recognition is nearly 90% of the time a great success... Sure the first few days were absolutely terrible, but with a bit of practice (training the phone to get used to my accent ??? or training myself to better use it, not sure which one improved, but felt like the phone was actually learning...)... I nearly lost patience on a few occasion, but persistence did pay at the end... A lot of voice recognition rely upon an initial training period (see Nuance.com for instance) Now, it is a real pleasure to be able to sent text messages, call people, listen to text message etc hands free while cycling to work ! or even driving... I need to get used to talking to my phone rather than pushing buttons ... (ask Ziggy app is pretty good as well, once again need some training...). I hope your experience will improve, this is great once it is finally working ! Patience ! Tony.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
forbiddenshani

[ Edited ]

by simply tapping on the text once will highlight the entire word however in order to get to the spaces between words, you'll need to keep your finger pressed on the text and then a cursor will appear thereafter by keeping your finger pressed on the screen, move the cursor to where you desire to add the punctuations.

i find the voice recognition rather useful. i was a N78 user therefore i used to be able to text without the need to look at the screen. switching to a full touch screen is new to me.

i only use the voice recognition when i am driving and preferably when alone so i don't look like a psycho pronouncing everything word in the most precise manner i can find.

sure the voice recognition is not 100% accurate, so is Siri however i somehow believe the system is evolving to our pronounciation because somehow the phone now recognises the word that i spoke in which previously it did not =O

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

I have very little love for Lumia but to be fair the voice recognition especially if using Dictation Station is pretty good. Not sure if it's significantly faster than using the keyboard except for short sms messages and or "call x" but it's fun to use.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
brianburroo

I absolutely agree - the thing has a mind of its own, some days it will work - others it will not.  For example this morning it would not recognise a name I use every day and when it eventually did it could nt even make out a simple "hello" or Good Morning".

For a phone as advanced as this it is simply not good enough.  I am thinking of returning it as faulty goods as I use my car a lot and this is a very handy tool - when it works!!!!!

Please use plain text.