Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 WP 7.8 - Audio Volume too Low !!!

Counsellor
rahulxsinha

Lumia 800 WP 7.8 - Audio Volume too Low !!!

Hi there... What is happening ?? Seems like History is repeating itself. When Nokia launched Lumia 800, we all complained about "Disastrous Audio Quality"... Nokia stepped up and released some fixes which enabled the audio drivers/bass issue.

Now Nokia has finally released the much anticipated WP 7.8 update. Got it installed and to my surprise, the audio volume via "Nokia Monster purity headset" is too low. It feels that I am playing the song @ volume "15", although the volume is set to "30"

Please Nokia, have a second look at your firmware and release a patch to pump up the music volume. Not everyone wants to listen music at "Super Low Volume"... Thanks and hoping for a fix soon.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

This has been discussed in a number of threads here now. It appears that in WP7.8 for some variants a required (by law for the region the variant is intended for) audio level restriction is implemented. As WP7.8 has not yet been released officially there is no official information on this. I guess it is part of obtaining, in whichever way, an unofficial update and installing it. I personally do not have any issues with the soundlevels to be honest.

The issue playing last year was completely different and besides the bug causing a jump in volume for 2 seconds, fixed in a consecutive update, it seems that people are still using headset which are not suitable (mainly high impedance models) causing less then optimal sound levels and audio quality.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

@paulheu : Thanks for the reply mate. Allow me to correct some of the objections you raised.

1. 7.8 install was done by Nokia care. So, I assume that it's an official update.

2. India does not have any such "Low volume regulation".

3. I am using the headphones designed for Lumia. I have stated in my post that it's "Purity Headset by Nokia/Monster". Additionally, the same headset was sounding great with my previously installed firmware - xxxx.12220

Hope, it clarifies some doubts. I would never discuss unofficial methods in an official forum. Thankx...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

I know (some) Nokia Care Centres seem to be updating devices. Whether they should is another matter as the update is not yet available officially. Not the point and for another discussion.

The 'earlier' discussions you raised were what my comments were referring to, not this one. (as far as which headphones are used).

And again, I have no problem with audio levels, I never have had to go up to 30 and now and before a setting of 15 is too loud for me in most cases. But then I have my music properly ripped from the original CDs or bought, I also use MP3 maximizer tools (mp3gain in my case) to get all tracks to an equal and loud enough level.

Mind you, I am not saying you are doing anything wrong or using any music you did not buy or rip correctly, just that I know I have/do and I have no issues with soundlevels at all. As always your mileage may vary here.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

@ paulheu: Yeah, that's fair. I mean everyone has their own volume pref. I raised this concern as I noticed big volume drop in 2 hours (before and after 7.8 update). I listen @ 27-30 volume range...

Lets see how many ppl respond to this thread. Also, all my music rips are done same as you, from original CDs and @ 320kbps CBR and then gained to 98db using mp3 gain. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Wow, and you listen at 27-30 level? I find 15 to be too loud, usually listen at 8-10 on a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ cans. And I maximize at 89dB, which means you are about 2.5 times as loud at 98dB.

[joking sarcasm mode]

And you are sure it's not just your hearing getting worse?

[/joking sarcasm mode]

There is a number of things I'd like to know to be able to answer you, but the forum guidelines would not stretch far enough to do so. Can you tell me what you read at Settings>about 'Carrier'

---

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

@ paulheu: Haha, my hearing is just fine.... To answer your question, I don't have "about > Carrier" in settings... Is there any other place, I can check... Mine is an operator unlocked device (if that helps)..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

Okies, So I found out that I am not alone. Have a look below:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Great-news-for-all-current-Lumia-Windows-Phone-users/td-...

Seems, your listening preference is indeed in very low volume mate, :smileywink: or you are still @ 7.5. Its just that everyone wants the freedom of choice. No forced decision abt someone else's pref.

Nokia, please have a second look at the audio drivers in WP 7.8 update, otherwise after a full rollout you are going to be flooded again with this...

Please use plain text.
SagarSadbhaiya

@rahulxsinha: I do agree with you as the volume has decreased too much n there should be something for it to be fixed. I'm also using Purity Headset & the songs which I used to hear on 7.5 with volume 15-20 now on 7.8 it's to be 25-30 to hear them clearly.
Please use plain text.
cooolaashu

So I think I am not alone. In fact I had direct comparison of my nl800 running 7.8 with my nl710(7.5) and aged n79 with same seakers. Audio output is too low while plugging external 2.1 speakers. I think what I perceive is 40% audio loss. ND I am not joking.
Guys at Nokia - pls fix this problem before official launch. Its embarassing to have low audio output on such a cool phone & blackberries & android crowd which are jealous of looks/performance making fun of audio output of my phone.. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
restyle20

[ Edited ]

cooolaashu wrote:
So I think I am not alone. In fact I had direct comparison of my nl800 running 7.8 with my nl710(7.5) and aged n79 with same seakers. Audio output is too low while plugging external 2.1 speakers. I think what I perceive is 40% audio loss. ND I am not joking.
Guys at Nokia - pls fix this problem before official launch. Its embarassing to have low audio output on such a cool phone & blackberries & android crowd which are jealous of looks/performance making fun of audio output of my phone.. :smileysad:

LOL , how old are u? 7?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
divyanshu_logi

Same here
I am using purity headsets and what I have encountered that audio output is too low and m yet another person who listens on 30.
So Nokia needs to patch this up.
Moreover this was not an unofficial update in any respect.
it was all Nokia care pleasure.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Thornastor

[ Edited ]

I have 7.8 updated by an authorised Nokia centre recently and I also noticed that on the headphones. The volume is low even at level 30.  Nokia please fix it and increase the volume !

Please use plain text.
xCort

it's really bad, now with 7.8 i can't listen to music outdoors...please fix that

Please use plain text.
Contributor
blackdaemon

You are definitely not alone!

It's annoying and very frustrating. I just recently bought EtymoticResearch headphones and was having great time listening to music on Lumia 800 7.5.

After upgrade to WP7.8, it's like I am back in the time before the Nokia fixed the sound via firmware update.

However, to the Nokia defense, the sound limitation is new Windows Phone 7.8 feature, probably not related to Nokia FW.

As I  learned in XDA forum, there seems to be new registry setting for sound limit in 7.8. As it might be OK for other WP phone brands, it's definitely too low setting for L800!

Nokia, please take care of this issue soon!

Please use plain text.
Stakken

Here's one more to the disapointed crowd.

Updated my Lumia 800 last night and got the same problem with too low output.

It really sucks and I'm disappointed to be honest.

Hoping for a update to take care of  this soon. I mean otherwise I really like my phone, but this is just bad.

Please use plain text.
jaxxy8214

Hi guys, I have the same problem with volume control. After 7.8 tha volume got down a lot...my  L800 it's T-Mobile Germany branded. Wake Up Nokia....**bleep** ??? You did it again ????

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

Thats It.... I was waiting for "Official" update.... Reflashed the 7.8 "official" update to find that nothing was changed/done to correct the Low Volume Issue... Also, the Reboot Volume Reset persists in the official release (in case if you havn't noticed already)..

I pity on the Nokia/Microsoft QA guys... Why on earth are they still getting paid ???

At last, I had to, once again, reflash my L800 with WP 7.5 and its finally nice to hear back the nice audio boost. I don't really need the cosmetic makeup while sacrificing core/basic functionality...

Good Luck Nokia with your whole software game... !!! Cheers.. lol

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
andymartin

Very upset about this issue. Some of my quieter music is now unlistenable on my daily commute, whereas before applying 7.8 I was listening to the same tracks at around 20/21 with no problem. Please, please sort it out! If your release notes for 7.8 had mentioned a drop of music volume of around 50% I would never have installed it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
KaranXX

This is very true! the volume has reduced significantly. THE VOLUME IS VERY LOW after receiving the WINDOWS PHONE 7.8 update. The volume was just right before the update but now you can listen to music well with headphones. i pray Nokia fixes this problem. i use my lumia mainly for music but now its become unbearable :smileysad: now i'm sad  i updated my phone, there had to be that problem . Please help Nokia. don't forget about early adopters

Please use plain text.