Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 WP 7.8 - Audio Volume too Low !!!

Advisor
peejaylumia

Well i bought my lumia 800 with the wp 7.8 update oready on it, as far as i can tell from the volume levels i got to admit they are way to low ,even calling audio is low having to push the phone hard into my ear just to here the person better, not good nokia audio level restrictions has nothing to do with it at all if this was the case then other mobile phone brands would be restricted to WITCH THEY ARNT, i can not put my phone on my stereo amp because all am getting is amp noise due to the fact of the audio level on the phone beeing to low , so when are we getting a fix for this silly bug ?
Please use plain text.
Stakata

Well we wait from long time almost a half yaer and Nokia do nothing about this ... it's weird for me ... but anyway , we keep waiting and praying for some miracle - fix / update ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AlexFranzen

It is a shame Nokia treats their customers as children.
Let me choose what volume I play my music at!
This update completely ruined an otherwise excellent smart phone.
I registered here just to express my frustration.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jensmage

[ Edited ]

AlexFranzen wrote:
It is a shame Nokia treats their customers as children.
Let me choose what volume I play my music at!
This update completely ruined an otherwise excellent smart phone.
I registered here just to express my frustration.

I just repeat the latest comments here. It is really too bad that Nokia / Windows has not fixed this after soon 1/2 year after release of 7.8. Maybe you don't bother and guess people will rather buy a new phone and WP8??
I have been a Nokia customer for so many years but next time I will most likely make a switch (timetoswitch...).
Music to me is almost sacred, and it feels like you have taken my music away from me... :smileysad:
Nokia; if you care, please send me an e-mail with a fix: **********@******

Moderator's note: We removed the email address mentioned in the message as posting of personal information in a public forum is not recommended.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DonneyG

I have the same issue. I used to love this phone, until the 7.8 update made listening to music using the phone almost impossible. Very annoying! I also contacted Nokia support, but no reaction so far. I recommended Nokia Windows Phone to a lot of people.. I guess I'll wait a few more weeks. If there's no fix by then I'll just switch to iPhone.... Never had any problems with my iPad or iPod.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
crazydaze27

It is quite dangerous having the volume too low. I listened to radio 4 on play again on my bose using the aux in jack. The phone was at 30 and the stereo on max. I sat jammed up against it to listen. It finished and it went back to cd and nearly deafened me! Come.on Nokia/Microsoft, don't self-destruct, you have the basis of a good package here. Don't screw it up by not listening.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AndyB12

I must say I agree with all posts in this thread. I even created an account just to point that out...

I recon the same scenario as crazydaze27 experienced. In my car I often uses my phone as player using AUX in. Pre 7.8 i hade the car volume at approx level 23-24 and that is fine for radio, CD and AUX. Now I need to raise to maximum on the car stereo and if I change source without lowering the volume first... I almost runs of the road in chock!

Using the phone in a noisy environment (like outside) is a challange which makes it quite useless.

I tried to restore it to Factory settings but 7.8 is still there. A lot of work for nothing.

I cannot stop wondering: If this is a Nokia Support Forum, how is Nokia supporting us in this thread? I cannot see that they have participated at all...

Anyway, I guess that in the end more Nokia owners will handle this the easy way, in my case I have taken back my old iPhone 3GS.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DonneyG

Actually I also read HTC users have this issue. It's probably Microsoft who's screwing up. For Nokia it should be critically important that their devices work with high quality, to ensure their future in mobile market. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
LTamas

This problem has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft. The folks at Nokia are the ones who should take responsibility but they are trying to blame this problem on some decisions made by the European Commission.

https://twitter.com/NokiaHelps/status/318812828674977792

https://twitter.com/NokiaHelps/status/316175908467793921

This company is simply ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
crazydaze27

AndyB12, re: the issue with your car. It'll probably take an accident and someone to sue Nokia to get them to do something. If it is only a problem with the 800 and 7.8, and not later phones, maybe it's just too much trouble to fix.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
NihilantWonder

This is **bleep** this is simply a bug in their ROM...does Nokia seriously think we are that stupid ???? The volume levels are WAY beyound low....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DonneyG

I guess buying an Android phone is a better solution letting yourself get annoyed and waiting for that fix

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chuangyf

no any update for this bug till now ~?

I'm first supporter when Lumia + WP7.5 revealed

but I think this is my last time to use NOKIA phone

thank you for giving me such a terrible user experience

truely, iOS is better than WP

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

Quit ranting. Nokia/Microsoft have forgotten all about WP7.8. They are only pushing WP8 now. You could upgrade to a WP8 phone but I would seriously suggest taking a look at Android and leaving your frustrations behind.

Please use plain text.
hatemyphonenow

Registered Today to allow to post....

WP 7.8 Update has completley ruined my otherwise great little smartphone.

Does Nokia not realise how important Audio playback is to its customers ??......I got a feeling your about to find out..........Users WILL NOT accept this STUPID audio restiction and we all expect a fix very soon.....Otherwise- will go same way as the likes of  Woolworths......Clock is Ticking Nokia ....Wake up n smell the Coffee .....before its to late !! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DonneyG

I have bought the HTC 8X, I can really recommend it to everyone!!! People at HTC  understand that listening to music is a much used functionallity in phones these days. They did the opposite from Nokia, they improved the speakers in the device and also the software to get better music quality if you listen using a head set. If you turn the volume to 30 you could blow your brains out! :smileywink: 

Please use plain text.
SupremeWeaponX

I think Nokia could definetly be considered for one of the worst companies in 2013. Getting an IPhone tomorrow!

Please use plain text.
Stakata

I check daily this tread and yes - Nokia keep ignoring the angry customers , like this is the easy way :smileyhappy: Soon i switch my lumia for something else ... this is the only solution for now ....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
xconnesso

Support discussion.... those **bleep**ing loosers that work for this company don't give a **bleep** of their customers. I hope you go bankrupt and you all get fired.

Nokia screwed the audio system of my 12 month old phone and nobody is giving a **bleep**.  We should be able to sue with a class action this **bleep**ed up company. 

I hate you all. Go to hell.

Please use plain text.
Upsetboutmefone

I recently complained to Nokia at their UK head office. (Nokia, Complaints Dept, 2 Kingdom Street, London, W2 6BD)

I spoke to one of their staff last week.  (Refreshingly, they were very friendly, understood why I was so frustrated, and really wanted to help.) They told me that the low volume is because of an EU directive.

However, I explained that this was not right. In all other phones I know of, the phone gives a warning about the volume, then allows you to turn it up further. The Lumina 800 does not allow the volume to be turned up further. I added that this issue seems to relate only to the Lumina 800.

I explained that the EU directive being quoted allows for users to turn the volume up further.

I added that as it stands I felt that my phone was “not fit for purpose” under UK statutory rights (because the volume is so low you cannot hear it on a train), and that I had returned mine to my airtime supplier demanding a replacement (I had previously given them a go at fixing it – but they could not).

The person at Nokia promised to get back to me next week. I will post what I find out.

Meanwhile, to avoid any doubt, I have copied the relevant part from the EU standard below. In essence, it says:

1. The default volume limit must be set at a given safe level
  2. Users of the phone must be told about the risks to their hearing of high volume

And… this is the important bit:

1. Users can override the default level and turn up the volume if they want to

Finally, I asked Nokia to post their viewpoint on this issue onto this message board, so that everyone can understand.

ftp://ftp.cencenelec.eu/CENELEC/EuropeanMandates/m452en.pdf

M/452 EN

Exposure to sound levels shall be limited to avoid hearing damage. At 80

dB(A) exposure shall be limited to 40 hours/week, whereas at 89 dB(A)

exposure shall be limited to 5 hours/week. For other exposure levels a linear

intra- and extrapolation applies. Account shall be taken of the dynamic range

of sound and the reasonably foreseeable use of these devices; and

Adequate warnings on the risks involved in using the device and to the ways

of avoiding them and information to users in cases exposure poses a risk of

hearing damage. Information should also be provided when the original set of

earphones is replaced with another type and this causes higher unsafe sound

levels.

The safe exposure levels defined above shall be the default settings on products.

Higher exposure levels can be permitted provided that they have been intentionally selected by the user and the product incorporates a reliable means to inform the user of the risks.

Please use plain text.