Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 after update to 1600.2483.8106.11500

Advisor
RodeWouw

Re: Lumia 800 after update to 1600.2483.8106.11500

Update:

- yesterday evening just after I checked and saw the 3% mark the phone switched off without further warning

- reload yesterday evening: same behavior this morning, now at 95%. If dramatic change in performance happens, I will post.

When weather permits (loads of sunshine the last few days) I reload with my Power Monkey with solar panel and 9000mAh backup battery. However a shut down at the 3% mark (I won't let it come to that the next time) was a problem. After a jump start at main grid the Power Monkey did fine, maybe a bit slower (further research is needed).

Tips:

Don't mind the 'Estimated time left' remark, which now says 1 day and 2 hours left (about the same the last full load on Sunday January 29th). Wish for Nokia: based on the average behavior of the owner the software should adapt this estimate.

Don't mind the 'Full Charge Capacity' in Diagnostics, because on January 29th it was 1350mAh (max should be 1500mAh?) and now it was under 1300mAh. This morning however above 1300mAh.

Watch out with making new posts: this morning I typed in the full text and when I applied the Spell Check an error message appeared, losing the full text.

So: type text in Word(pad) and then copy and try to avoid Spell Check (Nokia!?)

Greetings, Marc

Please use plain text.
Thatshuge

[ Edited ]

Im having the same issue as most of you, i can get 1.5 day on one charge, and the next one gives me 12 hours. with the same kind of use, i had 75% when i went to bed last night, i had 16% when i woke up.

This stuff is so inconsistent, a reboot usually gives me the battery time i want, but i dont want to charge it and restart it every day.

I just gave it a hard reset, running 8107. Hopefully this might help me.

Please use plain text.
Doodling

Hi,
I've only had the phone for a few days and actually this is my 1st smart phone. My battery life before and after the update was around 1.5 days. It's full battery capacity is 1463 with it generally reaches but reading some of the comments about people getting 3/5 days is making me a little concerned that my phone isn't performing as well as it could. I am a light user and have turned off most functions as well as background apps. My questions are, Is my battery life "normal"?  and if not Is there a definitive method to getting a good battery life?
thanks in advanced    

Please use plain text.
Pescadorssp

Hey everybody, as mentioned by Nokia that diagnostics tool is a internal SW and makes only and estimation. Even when it says that the battery has less than 1450, the real capacity still 1450mAh.

This is not restricted to this phone, laptops and several other Android phones and even Iphone have the same behaviour, these estimations are not very accurate they are always a bit above or below the nominal capacity, but testing the battery with a precise battery analyser you can confirm that it has the nominal capacity. I can tell it because I worked with mobile phone repairs :-)

Please use plain text.
Pescadorssp

1600.2483.8106.11500 and 1600.2483.8107.11501 are the same SW. 500 the one available trough Zune updates and 501 the one from new phones shipped with from Nokia with the latest SW.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
RodeWouw

Pescadorssp, thanks for the useful tech info.

Current status after latest 100% load with battery saving on:

Battery left: 63%
Time since last load: 1 day 10 hours

I have deleted the Diagnostics tool and reinstalled it with ##634#,
which gives the new function:

Detailed Battery Info, which shows in Overview:

Temperature Celsius: 19,15
StateOfCharge: 63%
AverageCurrent: -125mA
StandbyCurrent: -5mA
MaxLoadCurrent: -822mA
StateOfHealth: 857

Please use plain text.
sweeteuphoria

[ Edited ]

I have a Lumia 800 and I think I'm going to do the same thing I did to my iPhone 4S and for the same reason: return it to the store. IT'S UNACCEPTABLE THAT THIS BATERY ONLY LASTS 1 DAY FULLY CHARGED. I'm not even  using location of wi-fi scan... This is too stupid.

Please use plain text.
Thatshuge

sweeteuphoria:
what do expect on a smart phone?

try using the iphone 4s or lumia as you did with a normal phone before these came out. I had my iphone 4 in standby for 6 days until it needed charge. If you use a phone like we do these days most people charge them every night.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
RodeWouw

Sweeteuphoria, important to keep track of are the Background Tasks. This weekend I noticed that some apps, when you start them once, immediately reset the Background Task status to ON. Resulting on my phone in decline of battery performance.

So regularly check:

Settings -> Applications -> Background Tasks

and set all apps to OFF or only leave those apps on that are really useful in being active in the background, for instance email polling.

Multitasking is an energy consuming function and so should be used in moderation.

Look also at the Detailed Battery Info and keep track of the settings (at this moment on my phone|):

AverageCurrent: between -125 and -140 mA
StandbyCurrent: -4 or -5mA
MaxLoadCurrent: -860mA
StateOfHealth: 856

If your values are near to these ones your phone should hold more than 1 day (see my earlier posts).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lomax_hjs

Is there a date known for the next Lumia update?

I like the audio, camera and lack of thetering to be fixed asap :smileyhappy:

(and a good look to the not yet solved battery issues)

Please use plain text.
sweeteuphoria

[ Edited ]

Maybe its ok for some, but not for me. How did Nokia tested this phone to get 365 hours of stand-by ? Easy, there were no tests.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RodeWouw

Sweeteuphoria, I do understand you are frustrated at this moment, because I also was at the moment my phone ran empty without apparent logic.

However don’t stare blind on what all kinds of consumer product makers promise in their brochures and other marketing. If you take literally everything they say you will be disappointed many times.

Did you follow my tips on improving performance? Did it work in any way?

Hopefully in a future Windows Phone firmware releases (Nokia and Microsoft, is there one on the brink of release?) the multitasking functionality is improved and it is less of a strain on battery life.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
WarB1rd

Same problem....can't get my battery life take more than 1.5 days. And usually wifi, bluetooth off and always check email manually but max battery life was around 36h. Kinda fail....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
RodeWouw

Update: Monday morning I did a full reload. Current status:
Remaining battery: 50 %, time since last reload: 2 days and 9 hours

So the battery behavior has not changed since the first successful session (total of 4 days and 1 hour).

In my earlier posts I already mentioned my phone usage is quite minimal (radio, music player, 3G standby, incidental: texting, phone calls and internet).

I agree with Thatshuge's contribution on February 5th. With the extensive use of the smart phones with lots of graphical stuff like colorful games (no gaming on my phone) etc, it is not strange that a daily reload is necessary.

Until better batteries than lithium-ion ones appear on the market, we will have to accept this reality.

To cut things short: since the better performance I'm very pleased with this phone. I think its look and feel are better than the iPhone 4S (but that's personal taste) and especially the silicon cover gives it good handling (with dry hands and cold weather the iPhone slips through your fingers).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
l3yl05

Thatshuge's comment is rubbish  if you read through the posts those who have battery issues are complaining due to the fact that they are getting pathetic battery life with the phone on standby not after none stop heavy use - no one would be complaining in that case!!

RodeWouw you are in the minority here re what you are getting from your battery post update here is definitely something wrong with a batch of phones here as I've had to revert to the previous version of firmware as the new one messed the phone up and I'm getting to the point of sending it back now.

Today's battery tech should last a lot longer and to be honest I don't think the battery is the whole problem but the rate of discharge which at times is heading towards almost 400mah without reason. All apps off, location off, wi fi off, updates and syncing off - inn fact everything that makes a smart phone a smart phone off - this really is a joke!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RodeWouw

l3yl05, you are right when you talk about the dire state of an unknown number of Lumias, but Thatshuge's comment is referring to the general use of smart phones these days. In my opinion these are separate matters.

If you have taken the measures you mention and still suffer from battery draining, then Nokia should act very thorough. I'm surprised that they do not mingle in this discussion more often (or should I be in a different one). The last reaction of the Community Manager was on January 27th, so some extra info is welcome!

Is it probably helpful for Nokia to mention your Detailed Battery Info if anyone posts, so they can make an inventory of bad pieces.

Anyone out there with acceptable performance should also contribute, so it gets clear whether I'm part of a minority or not.

Please use plain text.
Ivan53

On my Lumia this update has no difference at all. The only service I use is the Hotmail Push Email set to retrieve only when new mail arrives running on 3G, the rest of the services have been switched off. My phone is fully charged at 06h00 and by 14h00 the battery save enters rendering my network connection useless. I have resorted to carrying a Mobile charger and PC Usb charge cable plus extra wall chargers in every office to use when there to avoid running out of power. My old Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro ran for 2 days using the same fucntions. The Lumia needs a 3000mAh battery or another SW Update if not will be DOOMED to be a "LEMON" as the yanks say. 

Please use plain text.
Mark_JT

I have only had my phone a week, so have only had experience with the 11500 firmware. I sold my iPhone 4 to get this phone because I fancied a change, I'm pleased overall but the one thing killing my experience is the battery life. I charged to 100% last night so that I could unplug the phone and check what it was like when I woke up the next morning (so that I could see a true "standby" figure, not one where I was playing every few minutes!). In the 6 hours where I had no interaction with the phone, the battery went from 100% to 74%. Massive disappointment. With normal use - the odd text, rare phone call and browsing online for around 10 minutes cumulatively each day, I get around 8 - 10 hours before I get the "goodbye" message on my screen as the phone powers off. Max battery capacity states 1335mAh for me. I've tried a soft and hard reset but these have absolutely no effect. I'm hoping Nokia sorts this issue soon, because it's clearly a common problem!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stevej75

I'm experiencing the same issues.  

I charge my phone each day overnight...before this update my phone would last all day and still have about 25% charge left..after this update my phone runs out of power at about 8pm.  I don't even use the phone that much, maybe a couple of short calls a day and keep an eye on my emails but nothing more than that.  

Come on Nokia..sort this out!

Please use plain text.
pasztor

Hi

I have got Lumia for few days, and can't really say how long it works. First day didn't shocked me, but it was acceptable (About 3/5 day, little sad, but nothing to do about it), because all my friends wanted to play with this phone. Yesterday when it had about 20-25% of baterry I decided to check standby time and it gives me standby/very light usage 17hours, so it's nice.

Today when I was charging I looked into diagnostics and it was very strange for me, because it shown average current over 300mA, then I started game to see what would happen, and it gave me about 250-260mA. Strange? After this I turn game of, played little bit with settings and unchecked localization in camera and turn on general localization (because I turn off localization few minutes before), and guess what? 80-86mA! This is sick. I try to turn localization in camera to check if it causes hard battery drain, but after this nothing happened, still 80-86mA. I think it's lottery...

After disconnecting charger it show now 167mA, but I noticed that this app drain lots of power, so I uninstal it.
Phone shows now 1 day and 15 hours (Actually it was showing, because when I turn on diagnostic it ate 1% of battery, and now I'm charging it again, to gain full capacity)

PS: Sorry for my bad English :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.