Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 bluetooth calling with 350Z car kit

Contributor
Rustyk1
Accepted Solution

Lumia 800 bluetooth calling with 350Z car kit

I received my new Lumia 800 last week and so far I'm very happy with it. I like how slick and polished it feels compared to Android and iOS. Once the app selection catches up we should be in for an interesting fight!

However, there is a problem I can't seem to solve: calling via bluetooth in my Nissan 350Z bluetooth car kit. I can connect to the car via bluetooth no problem (in the bluetooth settings page) but when it comes to making a call I can't figure out how to route it through bluetooth. The bluetooth icon on the calling screen seems to be greyed out, and pressing it has no effect. Can someone suggest what the issue is and how I can solve it please?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rustyk1

Just as an update, I have tried bluetooth calling with a Nokia bluetooth headset and it works fine. So this issue is specific to my car kit. Does anyone have any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Rustyk1,

Welcome to the Nokia Discussion Boards and thanks for posting.

If you can make calls with your headset it is likely the carkit is not compatible or uses wrong settings.

Windows Phone requires a Bluetooth v2.1+EDR compatible connection. It does not support SAP (SIM Access Profile) but does support PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile).

For a carkit to work with Window Phone it has to use HSP(Headset Profile) and HFP(Hand Free Profile) for making and receiving calls.

Hope this helped,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rustyk1

Thanks for the welcome Kosh.

Ok, so the bluetooth car kit is fairly old and I'm not sure on what profiles it uses. I do know that it has zero cnfiguration options (no screen or buttons) so any solution must be phone-based.

This bluetooth kit works fine with every other phone I use it with (iPhone, Android phones, old Nokia business phone) so it seems ridiculous that it would not be supported by the Lumia 800. Is this what you are suggesting?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

It's the carkit which is not supporting the Lumia, not the other way around. Check with your dealer for a software update for the carkit.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rustyk1

Apologies if I'm being niaive but can you explain what you mean? The car kit is c.10 years old in design (less than 1 year since I purchased it) and I assume used the appropriate standards at the time. The other phones which I have used have been backwards compatible with these standards, it seems Windows Phone is not. Am I missing something here? Why can't Windows Phone offer compatibility with this as all other phones I have used do?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Kosh has explained in detail what Windows Phone supports with regard to Bluetooth functionality. The limitations are inherent to the OS, you'll have to direct your further feedback to Microsoft, there's nothing Nokia can do for you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rustyk1

Ok, fair enough. However, to say that Nokia can't do anything seems a bit niaive also as they are the biggest user of Windows Phone so would surely have some power there! And the point of the matter is I purchased a Nokia phone (not a Microsoft phone) and it doesn't work with my bluetooth headset. I shall go and try and get my solution from Nokia's supplier instead...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Rustyk1 wrote:
I purchased a Nokia phone (not a Microsoft phone) and it doesn't work with my bluetooth headset. I shall go and try and get my solution from Nokia's supplier instead...

Now that is something this forum can definitely help with, you just need to post details of your problem in the relevant section, since it's not a Windows phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rustyk1

I was being facetious. My point was that the phone is from Nokia, and any problems I encounter should be resolved by Nokia, not by their third part supplier (in this case, Microsoft).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it's not possible to get the Lumia or any other phone with the Windows Phone OS to work with your car kit in it's current state, based on the information you've supplied.

Microsoft has strict hardware requirements that vendors such as Nokia has to follow. As suggested a software update for the bluetooth kit may solve this but if like you say it's 10 year old tech that may not be possible.

Iphones, (some) androids and other nokia devices are all comparatively "old" compared to the Windows Phone OS so that is why they are more backwards compatible than your Lumia is. Microsoft is going to allow Nokia more control and customisation of the OS and hardware later this year but that is unlikely to address your issue which is almost certainly due to the bluetooth chip set and/or software that Microsoft decided should be used.

Assuming your car kit cannot be updated you really only have two choices, get a new car kit or get a different phone. If you are unhappy about having to make such a choice and feel the need to take it further you should contact Nokia Care and ask for the complaints address.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
astra2025

Moved to new thread. Although the topic is relevant, it is about a different car kit, and this thread is solved.

Please use plain text.