Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 can't send or receive SMS or MMS

z0mbee

Lumia 800 can't send or receive SMS or MMS

Hi all,

I've had my Lumia 800 for a couple of weeks, and think it's great. However, yesterday it decided that it will no longer allow me to send or receive text messages of any kind. Both seem to time out with a 'Can't send' error.

My data connection seems to be fine, and I have tried rebooting an using the Network Setup app. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Gary

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 800 can't send or receive SMS or MMS

You said it was working fine previously. Did you check with your network to make sure there isn't a network fault? Did you make any changes to your phone recently? 

Please use plain text.
z0mbee

Hi - thanks for the quick reply!

My wife and I are both on T-Mobile contracts, and she doesn't seem to have any problems at the moment, nor are they saying anything on their status page.

No recent changes made to the phone - I applied the most recent software update last week, but have sent and received SMS since then.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sending SMS and sending and receiving MMS requires settings but the strange one is not receiving sms. No settings are required for this. No harm asking your network to check settings on your account. Otherwise the only thing you could try is a reset. If you do decide to reset, do remember to backup your data beforehand. 

Please use plain text.
z0mbee

Just to further muddy the waters, I've managed to get MMS working by manually entering the APN details. Still no SMS, though, so I've sought assistance from T-Mobile.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Definitely worth having the network check account settings. The Lumia adopts settings from the sim card following a reset. The network setup app allows you to do the same without having to reset. Did you check your message centre number for sending sms's? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

would say it is almost certainly a carrier issue ! My carrier, Virgin Mobile, say the Lumia does not support MMS and yet using a different sim, it does ? Therefore I can only blame the carrier !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

After I've sent my Lumia to Nokia for repair (a Bluetooth issue) I got it back (2 weeks ago) and turned it on without a SIM. I inserted the SIM later. Last Monday I discovered I couldn't receive pictures in MMS messages. I tried to sent one with no luck either. So - as suggested above - last Tuesday I've done a factory reset with my SIM installed. Tuesday evening and yesterday I could send and receive MMS messages, although I sent myself a picture (just to test) but never received it ... until today but the picture (286kB) does not display anymore :smileysad: And I received an other message containing a picture (157kB) but that picture doesn't display either. So it seems MMS stopped again after 1.5 day of working (sort of).

Should I send my Lumia to Nokia again for repair?

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I had the same issue after the upgrade. MMS would not send or receive but had been working perfectly before so I can't see how that is a carrier issue. Also T~ Mobile. My SMS weren't affected but internet disappeared. The network set up App of little use as it just said phone was set up. Much fiddling around including taking sim card out and setting up a second APN called t mobile 2 apn with exactly the standard t mobile UK settings inserted manually eventually worked.

Not that it matters much but since the update can no longer install apps if connected to zune , direct download to phone from marketplace still works.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

caitlin1759 wrote:
Not that it matters much but since the update can no longer install apps if connected to zune , direct download to phone from marketplace still works.

That is changed functionality on purpose as part of the upgrade, not a bug or a fault.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

caitlin1759 wrote:
I had the same issue after the upgrade. MMS would not send or receive but had been working perfectly before so I can't see how that is a carrier issue.

OK, but for me it worked for nearly two days after I've factory restored my Lumia, after the upgrade. I agree: I don't see either how this can be a carrier issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

Suddenly yesterday evening at home I got the mms that was sent to me that morning - or so I thought. It turned out to be the mms I received Tuesday morning but couldn't open. And some minutes later I received the mms I sent to myself Tuesday but never received and I could also resent (and receive) an other test mms to myself that failed yesterday morning.

As I've said before, on Tuesday evening I did a factory reset on my Lumia.

When I received the mms'ses I noticed I had 3G or H where at work I usually have no  more but a fair G signal. So could this be a signal strength/quality issue?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gregorsten

Hi guys,

After reading the forum and deciding i could not be bothered typing in the APN data manually - also, is there different settings for Europe/UK/USA? I didnt know - i have found a solution.

I went to the Network Setup app and changed the operator from T-mobile (who i am with) to Virgin. It took a while to think. After this i clicked back to T-mobile and again it took a while, presumably because something was actually happening.

Working fine now!

Please use plain text.