Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 cannot connect to Zune

Mathyn
Accepted Solution

Lumia 800 cannot connect to Zune

Hello,

I am trying to connect my lumia 800 to my windows 7 computer but zune keeps saying: cannot connect to phone. Turn your phone off and try again. (something like that, the message is not in English).

I have tried everything I could find to solve this problem but nothing worked so far.

I have tried:

- The fix-it utility of Microsoft. It says there are no problems.

- Reinstalling zune

- Turning the phone off/on

- Delete a certificate used by Zune

- Checking if the drivers are correctly installed. Device manager does recognize a lumia 800, also there are no problems detected there!

- Using a different USB cable

- Using a different computer (have tried 3 computers so far, all gave the same error message)

- Resetting the phone to factory defaults.

I need to install the update to solve the battery drain problem, but nothing works :smileysad:

Does anyone have some extra tips that may help connecting my phone to zune? Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
android

Re: Lumia 800 cannot connect to Zune

m8,

Temporarily disable your firewall, or internet security software if you have. Or, make zune as an exception and give it a shot.

Good Luck 

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted!

If you find it helpfull, it's not hard to click the STAR..

Please use plain text.
Mathyn

I disabled the windows firewall: no change

I added the zune folder and zune executable as an exception to Security Essentials: also made no change.

Thanks for trying to help tough

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

[ Edited ]

Run Windows Update after you connected the phone to PC - maybe phone driver needs to be updated. I have one PC on which I need to wait approx. 3 minutes before Zune detects a phone. Try to run Zune as Administrator by right clicking on Zune icon. Do you have version 4.8 of Zune?

Please use plain text.
Mathyn

I just fixed it. For anyone also looking for the solution this post from the windows phone forum helped me:

(link to post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-sync/cannot-connect-nokia-lumia-800-to-zune/e1...

So first of all: remove the certificate following these steps

1: Go to "Start" and in "Search" type: certmgr.msc

2: Open the folder "Personal" and then "Certificates"

3: Remove the zunetuner certificate (If there are more than one, remove them all)

4: Open the private keys folder by typing in "Start" and "Search": %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA

5: Rename the "S-1-5-21..." folder's name so it ends in .bak. (A new folder will automatically be created when Zune is launched and the phone connected.)

If this corrects the problem, restore the private keys folder:

1. Open the folder at %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA that you renamed to end with .bak. Select and copy all the files.

2. Go back to "Start" and in "Search" type: %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA and open the new folder that was created automatically.

3. Paste all the files back into this folder. When prompted with "There is already a file with the same name in this location" choose to not move the file, leaving the file in the destination directory.

4. The folder renamed to end with .bak can now be deleted.

And afterwards (this fixed it for me):

The devil is in the detail - simply deleting the certificate didn't work for me (it wasn't re-created afterwards).  After deleting all the certificates you need kill the Zune auto-launcher process before plugging the phone back in

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jammycolin

I have tried everything suggested this worked for me this morning got out my old Toshiba laptop downloaded zune and it found and updated my phone straight away although the updates took what seemed ages...hope this helps if it work for you pleas pass it on to others and good luck :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lumia800tester

Really heplfull. Thanks for posting. I followed the steps above and works !

Regards

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
marijon

Thank you for very good advice... :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ashys0818

my lumia 800 is not getting detected by zune. kindly help

Please use plain text.