Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Advisor
RicardoDawkins

I hope they improve this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SamaelRanger

Tested Steelseries 7H. iPhone4 vs Nokia. Same track, same bps, same codec. Nokia cuts off bass. Very sad. :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
YngvarJ

I just installed the Nokia firmware updated that was distributed today, updating the firmware version to 1600.2479.7740.11451 (I first saw it at http://wmpoweruser.com/first-firmware-update-for-the-nokia-lumia-800-now-being-rolled-out/, and the update was available once I connected my phone to my PC and started Zune).

I believe sound is better with the new firmware.

Not having the old version available makes it a little hard to do side by side comparisons, but when listening to music with some Sennheiser HD495 head phones, the cracking and popping background noises are gone, and I believe the bass is a little heavier as well.

The sound is still rather light or thin, compared to my old iPhone 3GS, but the difference I hear now is more a matter of taste, rather than the disastrous sound the Lumia produced before the update.

The volume range does not seem to have changed much, it still goes from silent at level 0, to a little loud at level 1 and then barely changing when increasing it. I would like to see a much wider range in volume level.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
twenty7twelve

Me too:smileysad:

The headphone sound quality is so bad, it's so tinny. I'm using my own headphone which are pretty good quality but the sound coming out out of the lumia 800 is horrible. Very surprised there isn't even an equalizer on the phone.  My previous nokia 5530 had great quality sound coming through the headphones and the loudspeaker. 

I have the same problem with the FM radio...it goes from 0 (silent) to 1 which is too loud for my liking. I don't like others on the train being able to hear what I listen to.

The FM radio also crackles occasionally/randomly and hurts my ears!

PLEASE FIX NOKIA. Am on my 2nd handset already!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stueyboy

When I read this thread first time, I did go and have a close listen to the audio quality as I haven't done much of that with my phone and I did notice it wasn't great. I've just installed the recent software update and it does sound a bit better. I'd prefer a bit more bass to be honest but it's less toppy now.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tannjew

I couldn't notice any improvement with the firmware update.

Please use plain text.
YngvarJ

Seems I was a little fast with regards to the new firmware on Dec 8. The sound IS actually quite good in my Sennheiser head phones, but with the stock earphones the noise is just as bad as it used to be. So, it seems the firmware update did not fix this. I'm having a problem understanding how a firmware/software fix could fix interference noise caused by a poorly insulated/isolated sound chip on a circuit board.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xumix

Still no response from Nokia. Great. Going to replace/cashback my device.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

I am not an experienced audio listener but I find the quality with the standard headset to be what I expect from a mobile phone. It’s good enough for me and I think it’s better that my old Samsung Jet 8000. I quite enjoy what I hear. But perhaps my ears are getting too old to be a good judge ;-).
I am running software version 7740 but I don’t yet have the firmware update of December 7 (perhaps tonight?)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nurium

Out of curiosity, is anyone using their Lumia with Bluetooth headphones (not simply headset)? Any improvement in sound or reduction in static noise?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vangrieg

I'm using my Lumia as the music source in my car via Bluetooth. The sound is fine. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mafiatounes

I used my Lumia 800 in the car with a 3.5mm audiojack before and after the Nokia (Not Windows) update 7740 and everytime when a track ends and changes i hear a click noise does anyone else experience this?
Nokia Lumia 1020 + Sony Xperia Z1
Please use plain text.
martyna

Yes I have the same issue with the click and pops when moving to the next track when sending the 3.5mm jack audio out to my decent sound system. I was hoping the new software update would fix this, but sadly no.

I found this issue to be both when playing through the zune software on phone and the nokia music app.

The crack and pops are heard less through bad headphones... but unfortunately I believe the better your audio system or headphones are the worse it will sound.

Personally I won't play any music from my phone to my stereo until this issue is resolved.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nurium

As noted earlier in this thread, outputting music from the jack to a stereo system apparently produces better results than through headphones. 

For those using bluetooth sound, have you noticed an increase in sound quality as to when you use the phone with either headphones or a stereo out?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

According to gsmarena's lumia800 audio test....stereo crosstalk and intermodulation distortion noise are the main reasons behind poor headphone output so it can be solved on next software update
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vangrieg

What makes you think these things may be fixed by software? 

And there's also a huge frequency response issue apart from crosstalk and distortion.  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vangrieg

Hate to bring bad news, but oh well...

Some people compared audio quality using same tracks on two 800s - one whose user reported sound as "great", and the other one "bad". Turns out they both were equally **bleep**. To make matters worse, the supposedly "great" device carried the latest Nokia update, and whatever they meant by "improved audio quality" doesn't improve anything whatsoever.  

So replacing or reparing the phone won't help. It seems to be a phone with horrible audio quality, however shockingly frustrating it may sound.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

I heard that recent update only improved Bass only
and yes software update can actually fine tune the frequency response by reducing crosstalk and distortion
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vangrieg

Problem is, it doesn't appear to improve anything. 

Please use plain text.
cjmillsnun

I'm so glad it's not just me.

This is my second phone, my primary being an iPhone 4S.  I generally listen with Sennheiser CX-870 earphones, and listen to lossless files.

The two phones are polar opposites in terms of sound quality.  On the iPhone there is tight, powerful bass, clear midrange and a slightly over sibliant high range.  The sound staging is good, but not perfect.  All in all, not bad for a portable device.  

I used to have an N95, and the sound quality on that was better than the 4S.

On the 800, the bass is muddy, and the mid and high range is dull.  The sound staging is almost non existant.  Also between tracks, there is an annoying pop that also happens when pausing or stopping the music.  It is especially bad at low volumes.

For two phones that compete directly against each other at the premium end of the market, it is embarassingly bad for Nokia.  I updated the phone last night using Windows Phone Connector for the Mac, but it has not improved it at all.

I'm returning the phone on Monday as faulty.  A shame as it is an otherwise excellent phone.

Please use plain text.