Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Advisor
xumix

Worst of all this, is that none of nokia shops will replace my phone before Nokia acceps tihs issue oficially. Nokia care center said that it is OK to have this **bleep** sound.
Please use plain text.
Tahnee

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my Jamo in-ears & AKG headphones.
No bass (low ferq.) and crackling sound when skipping to next track.

I'm using now a separate mp3 player instead until it is fixed :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Harish_C6

Really disastrous :smileysad: 

i thought my earphone had some issues. 

Nokia please rectify this...The sound from the earphones are really horrible.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TomWithLumia

There are many versions of the 3.5mm plug.  Stereo headphones (no mic) use 3-pole plugs (TRS= tip, ring sleeve) and headsets have 4-pole plugs.  There are two versions of the 4-pole plugs with different wirings although they look identical.  Now if you have a headset that works with older Nokia devices and plug that into a Lumia 800 you will for sure get low volume, no stereo separation and no bass.  This is because the Lumia has swapped the ground and mic connection around and thus the common return from the earpiece will go through the microphone circuitry and, well, that disaster sound as a result.  Some even mention that slightly pulling out the plug will improve the audio.  That misalignment of the plug could short the mic lines and thus remedy the problem.

So think about this question:

If thousands of people get enjoyable audio from my their Lumia 800 but some people here describe the disastrous sound that you get with an old headset which option is the most likely:

A) There is a bug in the software
B) The hardware design is faulty
C) They have an incompatible headset
D) The device in question is faulty

A) is ruled out because moving the plug does not influence software and software should be identicial to the Lumias that people enjoy listening too.

B) is not likely because, as there are many who enjoy the audio, the overall design cannot be a problem.

C) With my logic this is the most probable cause because it can easily happen and the problem description matches exactly the outcome of an incompatible headset.

D) This is also possible and warranty should cover it.  But first option C) should be checked.

I did measure my Lumia 800 device with a spectrum analyzer.  Connected to my home audio system the frequency response is very flat.  Using headphones the bass starts rolling off below 60Hz.  This is not good but it is not in any way disastrous.  It depends, of course, what music you listen to, and with what headphones.  Some smaller speakers or cheaper headphones will not reproduce those frequencies anyway.  There is always a tradeoff with power consumption and audio quality in mobile devices.  Basses could significantly decrease battery life.  The average user who do not care about frequencies below 60Hz will appreciate the increased battery life.  Someone listening to electronic music with proper headphones will unfortunately notice something, but still I would not call it a disaster.  This feature might even save their hearing.

I'm happy with my Lumia 800 as it is, and I don't have a problem with it.  As I have been an engineer for over 20 years I feel obligated to help out people with technical problems.  We engineers vow to make technology that help people.  Recently the problem reports I have seen are becoming really hilarious.  If there is a slightest problem, instead of waiting for a software fix or getting a warranty repair they throw away their new device and get another brand, which have many more problems.  I have heard that some companies with low ethics have their employees casting slur on competitors all over the internet.  These companies are not run by engineers but greedy economists who only want your money.  Fortunately companies with that kind of strategy will not go on for long.

So check again your headset plug and if your device is really broken get it fixed.  Probably the application Marketplace will get a music player with equalizer sooner or later.  But in my opinion the human ear has a very good equalizer built-in and can adapt to different listening conditions, if you let it.  I certainly hear the difference between my high end devices and mobile devices but that does not stop me enjoying music when I'm mobile, as long as the sound is not disastrous, which it is not at all on my Lumia 800.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xumix

[ Edited ]

@TomWithLumia
***BLEEEP***
Read the topic, we all have awful audio quality with a standard 3-pin jack. I've heard the old nokia 4-pin headset with Lumia and YES, it is even WORSE than with normal headphones. I have compared the audio quality with Lumia 710. and 710 sounds great with THE SAME headphones.
If my device is broken I NEED A CONFIRAMTION from NOKIA so I CAN REPLACE my phone or at least they can FIX it see this msg >> /t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-disastrous-audio-quality/m-p/1269021#M4078

Mod Note: Profanities has been removed from the post. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jarednz101

I'm glad to hear there are plenty of others with this issue. I have the hopeless battery life issue, so after several weeks of to-ing and fro-ing, I'm having a replacement delivered (fingers crossed!) by Nokia tomorrow which I can only hope will be better. T Mobile were all but useless dealing with this by the way, refusing to replace the phone and insisting on sending away for up to 2-3 weeks to 'the factory (nokia)' - even though I'd only owned the phone for 4 at that stage!

Currently I dont consider that I own a smart phone - only a very big 'old phone' - i.e. I can barely use it for anything other than phoning/texting as it runs out in hours. Anyway, I digress...

I was so distracted by the battery issue at first that I didnt have the energy to get worked up about the shock I got from the horrendous sound quality... but I can't leave it be. The walkman I owned in 1987 had better sound depth than this phone.

My issues with the Lumia's media player are many. Firstly, there is no bass - absolutely none. Anyone on here saying the sound is ok and that it's due to 'jack design' is on another planet. Losing bass below 60Hz is ok?! what sort of music do you listen to? other than some classical music, maybe some jazz... what does not need bass below this frequency level?? Drums in indie/rock, basslines in all music, beats in dance music - they are not there and need to get into the low Hz range.

I have listened to the lumia with Dr Dre beats, sennheisers, Klipsch E4s, JVC marshmallows (mega heavy overbass!), and three types of headphones - the lumia sounds dreadful on every single pair. I also tried it on a display of 4 brands I'd not heard of at JFK airport on saturday - and still dreadful.

Secondly, there is no equaliser, which compounds the 'no bass' problem - there is not even a basic bass/treble function, that even my 2001 Ford Focus radio cassette deck has!! I have listened to the same London Elektricity track on my ipod (eq on and off), on my wife's Galaxy S2, and on my old nokia bog standard phone - the 6303. All have plenty of bass, and the ability to modify sound through either presets (ipod) or through a multi band graphic equaliser.  How can a Nokia 6303 have an EQ yet the Lumia not??! (the "AMAZING EVERYDAY"?!?).

I rang Nokia back in November when I bought the phone - and they said the lack of EQ was Microsoft's problem. Although this is partly true in that Zune has no EQ - this is just not good enough - especially as other windows phones have had EQs added from what I've read. The excuse of  some posters re: equalisers draining batteries just doesn't wash either. If this were the case, they wouldnt be on the iphone, galaxy, 6303 etc. and if that was the reason, it should be up to me the user to have an EQ draining my battery if need be.

Finally, there are horrendous cracks, pops etc. when going between tracks - even worse when lsitening to Nokia Music track samples.  When not listening to music, I get a endless pulsing humming/hissing noise.This is just bizarre, and would accept it as a fault on my phone alone, if it were not for the number of posts on these forums complaining about the same thing.

When I spoke to the Nokia UK representative today regarding my replacement delivery (after many calls via India, I'm finally being dealt with here in the UK), I mentioned the audio quality issue, and she claimed she'd never heard of a single complaint re: the audio quality. I told her about this forum and she said she'd 'look into it'. I'm gobsmacked Nokia can be unaware of such problems, where there are so many people posting on Nokia's own forum pages.

I wanted to believe in the Nokia brand and avoid being an Apple sheep, but my faith in Nokia as a brand has been shattered. I've made so many calls, all of which I've had to pay for, to try to sort these problems out.  How can I pay so much for a phone (via a 2 year contract) and be having to go through this within days of owning the phone?? I have never had to do this with any other electronic consumer item EVER. I can't believe Nokia can get away with 'software fix' promises and promising exchanging handsets. For other consumer items there would be a wholescale recall of this defective product if there were this many issues.

My final point is - how can we make Nokia aware of this problem? I'm exhausted talking to Indian call centre droids reading a script, but am not able to accept paying so much for a defective product. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vangrieg

[ Edited ]

That this is Microsoft problem is ***bleep***. It's true that the OS doesn't have an equalizer but it has to be done by the OEM as a part of the driver. Such functionality can't be done as a software solution as it'll drain you battery very quickly.

Mod Edit: profanities edited out of post.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xumix

@jarednz101
>My final point is - how can we make Nokia aware of this problem?
I suppose that a collective lawsuit would definetely help. That is the way we should make Nokia aware of making quality phones.
Please use plain text.
fladimir

I think we should link this thread more over the differnt Lumia forums. There are many users complaining about audio problems, and not much of them find the way to this thread.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

@Tomwithlumia

If you are an engineer, then you would surely realise your points are flawed.

You simply have to look at the amount of people trying with different headsets/headphones to know that the issue is not with them.

Also, you should know that it's perfectly possible for it to be a hardware fault, instances such as the N97 camera lens issue affected many many phones. And that was definatly a hardware defect.

Nokia should have at the very least acknowlaged this by now.

I myself have left Nokia after 8 years and now am very happy with a motorola (Razr), of which the build quality is well above par.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

@ TomWithLumia >> I totally disagree with your "compatible" theory... As bartmanekul has said, ppl are trying all sorts of headphones, High-End, Low-End, Mid-Range... None of them sounds good enough...

If you have found the Sweet "Compatible" Headset, let us know and I am sure someone will check it out the very next day... Be sure to mention some reference tracks/songs you listen with 'em (except Classical or Jazz)

The word "Disaster" is rightfully mentioned in the Title.. These days the portable devices are capable of producing VERY VERY RICH SOUND... So Lumia's sound is a "Disaster" BY COMPARISON...

BTW, Lumia can still send stereo sound to both the Buds... So Not a "Disaster" by very definition of it... If that's what you mean.... :smileywink:    Cheers !!!

AGAIN: Wake up Nokia !!! You simply cannot just launch a Premium Product and Hibernate....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Besides of which, if Nokia has made the Lumia with such tiny compatibility that it can't work with basic and advanced 3.5mm headphones, that's a huge problem right there.

Every other manufactor can manage it.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Nokia has been investigating the comments made by our Discussions members in this thread, and we can now advise that some audio improvements have already been made in software version 1600.2479.7740.11451 for the Lumia 800. You can check your current software by selecting Settings from the applications menu, then select About and More information. Your current version is shown next to the heading Firmware revision number.

If you do not have this version yet, you can connect to Zune to see if the update is already available for your device. To download Zune and get more information about using it, please visit http://www.zune.net/en-GB/products/software/download/default.htm.

Further improvements will be introduced in a subsequent updates.

If you already have version 1600.2479.7740.11451 and are still unhappy with the sound quality of your Nokia Lumia 800, please consult your nearest Nokia Care point. To find a Nokia Care point near you, visit the Nokia web site for your country and click "Support".

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xumix

@michaels
I have 1600.2479.7740.11451 and I still really unhappy with the device sound. The nokia care center said that they have no audio quality standards, so this cannot say if it is a problem(that was on 25-12-2011). What should I do now?
Please use plain text.
Elerond

Did you know that Nokia Lumia 800 don't use standard 3.5 mm plug but instead it uses 3.5mm AHJ Connector, which uses an alternative pinout configuration in contrast to standard 3.5mm audio connectors. If you use headphones that are compatible with standard 3.5 mm audio connector you will get poor or non existent sound.

To get better sound out from Nokia Lumia 800, you must use AHJ compatible headphones like Nokia Purity HD or Apple iPhone compatible headphones (iPhone has AHJ connector too). If you want use your old headphones, you must find from somewhere adapter. AHJ adapter are much easier to find if you search iPhone jack adapters.

An example of jack adapter for iPhone.

http://www.newertech.com/products/iph12.php

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

@ Elerond >> So does Lumia 710... I mean that both the Lumia 710 and 800 use the same AHJ Connector Type... Then why the same song sounds better in 710 and not in 800..

@ michaels >> Thank You for your comment. Me and in-fact, most of the other users here, are indeed running the latest firmware (1600.2479.7740.11451).... I am also, relieved by your statement that Nokia is aware of this issue... However, I need to quicky recap some imp points:

1. As I mentioned above, the sound is much vibrant and feels rich in 710 and not in 800. The bass and mids/highs are well pronounced in the 710 than 800 while playing the same song with same headset. So either there is something wrong in the Music Processing Algo in 800 or a certain batch of 800 are faulty.... 

EDIT: Some songs which have a clear separate Left and Right Channel Sounds are working fine... Hence I doubt about the internal connections screw-up analogy... I can say that the male jack is touching the correct pins inside... Its more of a missing Low freq Bass Issue... 

2. Volume and Speech Clarity of Nokia J Bluetooth headset goes for a Toss when paired with Lumia 800 (Lumia Volume Set to 10). I can't increase the call volume in Nokia J coz of lack of Volume Rocker in the headset. I also have Nokia N8 and the call quality/volume in Nokia J when connected to N8 is loud and clear. This needs attention as well, since both Lumia 800 and Nokia J are premium products.

Both these issues are fairly easy to check since all are Nokia Products... Hope I helped... 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tonkerdog

I have just tried the Apple headphones and compared to the B&O A8 headphones that i have been using, the sound is just as empty and devoid of any bass. Utter waste of money and time. I wish i hadn't bothered trading in my Iphone 4 to give this thing a chance. Never again Nokia.

Back to the Iphone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I suspect Elerond is incorrect, possibly a spammer just making something up to post a link to an affiliated website.

So how does this now proceed?

While Nokia say they are aware of this problem on the forum, why is this never, ever passed on to their support?

And what do users do now, given most have this recent update?

Wait for an update that will possibly never come, or even be impossible due to faulty phones?

Nokia your responses and support need to be better, this is part the reason why I don't use or recommend Nokias anymore.

It's really annoying to see customers (many of them loyal for years) continue to be treated like this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ricosabel

well,

I'm using the Lumia 800 for over a month now and have the same problem.

I had the N9 before, and it had awesome audio quality. I assumed the Lumia 800 had the same sound quality, but it is juts awefull. No low end frequencies, little mid.... ver cold and tiny sound.

I tried all my earphones; Ultimate Ears Triple.fi, Shure SE215, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5, Shure SRH-840, iPhone standard buds, Sennheiser CX300, Shure SE530 and AiAiAi TMA-1.

All the same, so it's not the earphones! :smileyhappy:

I also had the latest FW installed, so that didn't solve anything.

Please Nokia, fix this, otherwise I'm gonna run back to the iPhone. I love the Lumia 800 so faer, but audio quality (phone and music) is really important to me.

Best regards,

ric

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

Alright... Let's analyze this dismal-sound-quality situation a bit more...

Allow me to shed some light on the Jack-Types:

1. 3.5mm Connector (TRS/Standard Connector) - The bottom most portion (the pointed one) is for Left Channel, The middle one is for Right Channel and the Top most (connected to the wire) is Simple Ground. The black rings are the insulating rings.

2. AHJ Connector or TRRS Connector - The bottom most portion (the pointed one) is for Left Channel, The one above is for Right Channel, Then comes the Common Ground and finally the top most (connected to the wire) is for the Microphone. The black rings are the insulating rings

So You see, that whether its a TRRS or a Standard Connector, The pointed Tip and the one above are the ones which actually carry the Stereo Sound (Left and Right)... The Bass also has to go through these two contact points only....Unlike 5.1 channel Speakers, there is no need/provision to carry an LFE (Low Frequency Effects), for obvious reasons - Its Stereo Sound, not surround.

Now, Let us come back to the "Pins-Not-Touching-Inside" Point... If that is the case then, you would be missing one of the two channels for sure... I can see that no one is complaining about a missing Channel here. We can hear sound from both the Buds...

The Bottom Line is - The sounds are pretty Harsh and seriously Lack Reasonable Bass.... Literally crying-out-loud about the Decoding Capability of Lumia 800. Personally, I can barely stand the dull sound and am now listening via BH-111 Stereo Bluetooth Jacked in to my  fav headphones, Instead... 

Please use plain text.