Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Contributor
dsimonas

Elerond Nokia is just investigating thread, but not the issue :]]

quote: Nokia has been investigating the comments made by our Discussions members in this thread

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rmjersey

Just thought I should mention that I've been using firmware 1600.2479.7740.1145 and the issue persists - no discernable bass with any headphones (no matter what the connector type is).

Can anyone confirm whether A2DP Bluetooth headphones have the same problem? I don't own any but it would be interesting to see if the output is any better on those?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

@ rmjersey >> The A2DP Bluetooth Headsets like Nokia BH-111 etc. are perfect... You can pair it with 800 and connect your own Headphones to the Bluetooth receiver. Sound is pristine, Max Volume Level is also very high and Bass response is good as well..

Moreover all the controls on the receiver works fine with Lumia 800 too... Do remember that the headphones supplied with BH-111 is not good enough, hence you need to connect your own pair...

EDIT: Source: I own one...  :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rmjersey

@rahulxsinha >> Thanks that is good to know because:

a) I now hopefully at least have a solution that will let me enjoy listening to music on my Lumia 800 (even if it is going to cost me more money I shouldn't have to spend!)

b) There probably isn't a fundamental issue with the audio processing chip if it is able to output a decent dynamic range via A2DP. That's my logic, it may not be true, but I hope it is something Nokia can fix!

I have to say Nokia's response to this thread so far hasn't filled me with confidence about the way they deal with problems at all. Sometimes it is better PR to just own up to a problem and engage with customers a bit more so at least they don't feel like their issues are being dismissed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dsimonas

What headphones did you use with BH-111?

Considering to buy it, just want to be sure that it really helps..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

@ rmjersey >> Thanks and Glad I could be of help... Also, I would just like to point that All Stereo A2DP Bluetooth Receivers have internal sound processing mechanism (more like an Amplifier), hence the sound is vibrant...

@ dsimonas >> I have a couple of In-Ears, and since I don't know ur budget I will try to summarize some of them which I personally Use. Remember, the below IEMs, sounds good only when connected to BH-111... If I connect them directly to the 800 Jack, the quality reduces drastically, cutting bass responses and thereby sounds Flat....

Value For Money: Creative EP630 or EP660 >> Low Price and Very Loud + Excellent Audio Output.. Bass is also on the higher end. No one can beat these in terms of Price-Performance Index... EP630 is like a Marathon Earbuds (I have them since two years and its stil going on and on and on...).. Other similar IEM would be V-Moda Bass Freq (but its fragile...)

Mid Range: Sony MDR-XB41EX : Xtra-Bass IEM >> My Fav since its got a relatively larger 13.5mm Neodymium Driver, while most of the In-ears have 9 mm Driver Unit.. These extra Bass heavy headphones will literally blow ur ears...

High-End: Westone UM2 >> Clearly for Audio Purists.. These are damn expensive and as such sound is just Pure Bliss. It wins the similar priced competition by a Mile...  But, not recommended if you are a Bass-Head-Junkie... :smileywink:

I woudn't recommend Bose or Beats by Dr Dre, coz I don't find them pleasant enough for Music playback at Max Volumes through Lumia 800 (with or without bluetooth).. That's however, my findings only, which many ppl would argue....

Cheers !! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TomWithLumia

> none of nokia shops will replace my phone before Nokia acceps tihs issue oficially.

That is very strange.  I wonder what shop in what country this is?  Like I said this is not a general flaw that requires any official acceptance.  It clearly looks to me that some people have broken devices that should get fixed under warranty.  But there are also a significant number of people with incompatible headsets (including me at first).  Some few might complain about missing bass under 60Hz, which might be corrected in software.  If you have a broken device the shop should be able to check the problem and do the normal warranty procedure.  If you bought the device over mail order there is the usual extra hassle to get things fixed over warranty.  Calling a service desk over phone is difficult as they can not check your device for faults but they just try to help on how to correctly use the devices.  Just try to convince your shop to have a listen to your device and repair it.  There is not much more nokia support can help.  Depending on your problem, get a compatible headset, wait for software updates, or get the device repaired if it is broken.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xumix

@TomWithLumia see my post here:

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-disastrous-audio-quality/m-p/1271051#M4230
This is the official Nokia Care center in Moscow, Russia. I've bought my device at 1st Dec in the flagship Nokia shop in Moscow.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The bass frequency cut off is well documented on gsmarena, this seems to be a problem of the phone.

I believe it's either a driver problem or hardware problem.

Either way my old Symbian C7 has very good audio quality with good headphones.

Concerning Windows Phone ill stick to my Omnia 7 and wait for Nokia to come out with more Windows phone devices with DLNA or TV out and good Audio quality.

But really this shouldn't happen. I wouldn't even have dared to release this phone with that bass cut off problem.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rmjersey

@TomWithLumia I would argue that it *is* a general flaw that does require official acceptance. Nobody yet has been able to say that they don't have a drop off below 60Hz, therefore it appears to be affecting all devices. There is no valid excuse for such a poor bass response on a device that purports to be a multimedia product (unless perhaps it is to compensate for a poor built-in speaker...)

If someone has successfully had their phone repaired or replaced (so that it had a decent bass response) I would gladly follow this example and do the same! Unfortunately nobody has been this lucky Tom.

Equally, you seem to be the only person who has an 'incompatible' headset (if there is such a thing). @rahulxsinha put this misconception to rest by pointing out that no matter what type of connector you use the left/right stereo channels should be in contact. We should be getting a decent range of audible frequencies down towards 20Hz no matter what connector. This misinformation is probably clouding the actual issue with the quality of audio output.

Is the problem going to be corrected by a software update Tom? Nobody from Nokia has confirmed this so how can you be so sure.

How long do we wait for an update? Do we wait long enough so that we forfeit our statutory rights to return the product?

I can just about live with the ongoing clicking and mobile interference through headphones, it is pretty rare after all, but the actual audio quality is something I would expect to be better.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xumix

I have just tried Nokia bluetooth BH-111 with my Sennheiser CX-200 headphones - the sound is REALLY better via bluetooth
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

@ Xumix >> Cheers and Enjoy the Missing Sound.. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
polarbear109

It's good to know that the bh-111 could be the answer to the very poor audio quality. However, using this will drain the battery even quicker. I still I'm tempted to purchase this as I don't want to walk about with my Walkman and lumia. The lumia is the first smart phone I have owned and was planning to listen to alot of music on it via spotify or Zune. Hopefully an update will sort the audio. I have phoned Nokia care and they will let my try this product before I buy it. They have to order it in and I will try it next week when I get my new Nokia Lumia replacement due to my full battery capacity being under 1000 mAh
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dsimonas

I bought BH-111 today, and it feels a little beter.
Also i found a way to upgrade firmware (dont know if this is that awaited "January update") but I now have
Firmware 1600.2483.8107.11501

It seems that sound is also better, but now after so much listening my ears may be adapted :] and i have nothing to compare to.

One thing for sure that this update fixed the battery issue.
Please use plain text.
UEXD

Yup, i've got the same problem plus awful cracking noise while listening to music through the inears on my Lumia. I can barely stand the way it sounds through my awesome sennheisers. I have the latest firmware and it doesnt change anything. I am going to the next care point and see if i get a replacement without those issues, otherwise i am going to switch back to HTC.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Savo83

Will we get an official response about this? Will future updates fix this?! I have just bought BASS HEAVY RHA's from Amazon and it sounds far too tinny. It's an absolute joke.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Flakmonkey

Since my previous post, where i was saying about being happy with the lumias audio quality i have done a little experementing with it and some spectrum analyser software, and yes i too get a dropping off of frequencies below 60Hz (well actually the peak was at 55Hz in my case), it wasnt that there was no sound below that level but from a peak of 55Hz it did drop in a linear fashion down to around the 2-5Hz level.
Now this was certainly no scientific test, i just picked a bassy track at random (baby got back) so either the track or the actual audio file may have very little bass below the 55-60Hz range, i will stick the same file on my ipod touch and see what the results are there and post again.

I still think there are 2 issues here, some genuine hardware fault giving crackly distorted sound to some, and a lesser software issue, possible due to no equaliser settings being available for users to tweak to their own personal liking.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

[ Edited ]

C'mon Nokia.... We beg you to Test your own Products together... Your $50 BH-111 Bluetooth Stereo Headset produces Sound much better than your Super Premium $600 Lumia 800... 

What a shame... Are your engineers even listening to the number of complaints... Or are our voices falling on DEAF EARS..  It's okay if you are playin the Apple Game = "Listen to complaints and fix them silently".... But please hear the difference between your own products... We don't want to Miss Out on this VERY IMP FEATURE !!!

Cheers !!! 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stavrojones

Hi all,

I've been carefully following this thread even before my new Nokia Lumia 800 arrived. I have to admit I was somewhat sceptical that the phone would have audio as bad as what has been described here, because my experience with previous Nokia (Symbian-based) products has been legendary as far as audio-output is concerned.

So, how was I disappointed when I compared the output of a 'budget' 5230 and the 800 on my reasonable separates stereo system. Audio matters to me, a lot, and hearing (or should I say not) the 800's inability to produce low frequencies was shocking. The sound stage was just devoid and empty of any depth making it sound like some budget MP3-player.

However, after experimenting further, I can confirm some very good news. The problem is not the audio hardware itself, nor the Windows phone 7.5 API functions, but the actual player (yes, even the Zune one from Microsoft) itself. I have a premium spotify prescription and after downloading their player and listening to tracks through that I've found the output to be equal, if not better to anything I've heard from Nokia in the past. If you don't believe me, try the 48-hour trial of Spotify, it's in the app store. Make sure that high-quality streaming is set in the settings also. Compare the output between Spotify and the Zune player and it's like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Roller-skate. You'll notice that even the blip between tracks is eliminated, and the low rumble on pause.

However, I still remain shocked that the Nokia player delivers so poor a performance.  Maybe they were trying to extend battery-life by incorporating aggressive bass low cut filters?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

@ stavrojones >> Ahhhh.. No wonder why Zune sucked-back-then and is literally dead now...

Nokia are you listening.. One more test at your disposal... It tells you that you should not blindly incorporate everything that Microsoft has to offer.... Afterall its a "Partnership"  & NOT a "Vendor-Buyer" Relationship...

Do not kill your LEGACY.....  Its your IDENTITY ~ Great Products is what separates the rest from You...  

Please use plain text.