Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Counsellor
GeoffN

I've had my Lumia 800 for over a month now and have been reading these posts. I think you must all have a different phone. I have absolutely no problem with the audio. It's no different to my iPod or iPhone allthough an equaliser would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
jwshale

It is highly probable that only some phones are affected, be it either a software or hardware issue. Perhaps the easiest thing might be just to go to back to the store and persuade them to give me a new one...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

[ Edited ]

I somehow doubt it's just some phones. I have 2 Lumia's, one of my own and one from Nokia Finland as a press model. I also tried 3 devices on Lumia 800 Finnish launch. All where exactly the same.

It's not a surprise that most here who are complaining (me included) have collection of these +100 euros in-ears and it seems like impedance also plays a role making the amount of people who care/notice even less.

70% of the people are just happy to have enough volume coming from the phone, even less of those have collected enough of gadgets and experience from headphones to notice the difference in 5 seconds.

Thing is that i could take any of my 100-600 euros Nokia phones and produce better sound quality. It might not be big problem for most, but it's something that certainly should be up there with the competition. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aadicoool

Most people have noticed this pretty soon. Some can't notice the sound issue and some can't be bothered by it. But still there are a lot of people who will complain as the issue is very genuine. Try to listen to the same song via the same earphones on lumia n some other phone. I bet you too will notice the difference. Infact, i can't recall a phone with 3.5 mm jack that sound worse than the lumia 800. It would be acceptable on a 50$ phone but on a premium product like lumia, No sir. not accpetable at all.
Please use plain text.
jwshale

That's a shame [if it's all 800s]. It would mean that even taking mine back to the store wouldn't solve the issue...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrEdward

[ Edited ]

So...I just updated with the new firmware, then rolled back the previous one and updated again...and...and...

Try it and you will hear :squint:

ps : it's not the best in town but it's better than before :squint:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dankspain

I've been reading this post and the XDA's one for a while and I've come to the opinion too that it has to do with the impedance of the headset.

If you read the gsmarena's review you can see this graph:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_800-review-686p5.php

There you can see that the lumia 800 when connected to an active speaker it does provide the bass but when plugged to headset it doesn't.

I do not own the lumia 800 but I've tried in some stores to plug my headphones (16Ohms) to the phone and I could notice the lack of bass. I don't think it's a hardware problem since some of you are reporting good performance after flashing the phone and it does work well in active speakers.

The lumia 710 seems to have some short of similar problem:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_710-review-708p5.php

But the N9 doesn't have that issue...

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-659p6.php

I won't be able to buy the lumia 800 till February but then I will try it with my MDR-V6 headphones which have an impedance of 63Ohms and see how it performs.

I'm not an expert or anything but I would expect for nokia to release an update fixing this since I think it's a software issue.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
5erg

MrEdward, why did you have to update, then roll back and update again? Why don't you just stay on the latest update?
Please use plain text.
c_leckie

Hi folks. Updated to 8107 this morning. I can confirm there is indeed better bass response. Still not what I'd like but it's clearly software fixable.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AnoopParwani

ok i have a new finding.. while i was watching a video i got an email notification sound. When i got the notification sound, the volume levels of the video went high... the video was playing at audio levels like it normally should. i was using the headphones provided with the 800 itself. but after the video got over and when i tried to play it again and at the same part where the volume went high, it went back to being the same low volume again.

I also tried to use my Koss Porta Pro headphones and the lumia 800 sounds fine in that. The headphones are of 60 Ohms.

Another thing.. Is anyone having on call volume issues? i find the on call volume to be very low compared to any other phone. can anyone confirm if they have this issue or not please.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dr1337

[ Edited ]

I too am currently experiencing some terrible audio quality with my Lumia 800. I've just tested the same track (Rolling In The Deep - Adele) on both my HTC Surround and Lumia 800 and there is a distinct lack of bass and muddling of the high frequencies.

The test was done using both the Nokia Monster Purity headphones and my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi Pro headphones that are pretty much the best you can buy IEM.

*Edit* - This is on firmware 11500

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xumix

[ Edited ]

@tonttula most likely this post is based on this thread discussion. Moreover I've tried my 56Ohm monitor headphones with lumia and the sount is still like a 

Moderators notes: Bleep removed

Please use plain text.
5erg

[ Edited ]

Can somebody who understands explain why does impedance improve sound response on Lumia? If it's not too time consuming.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AnoopParwani

Guys has anyone tried to get a free Bluetooth headset from nokia or one of their better quality wired headsets with higher impedance as a workaround for the poor audio quality?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ekw88

5erg wrote:
Can somebody who understands explain why does impedance improve sound response on Lumia? If it's not too time consuming.
Usually the "design rule of thumb" for electronics is low output impedance and high input impedance. This provides benefits such as signal integrity. If you use things such as thevinins theorem you can simplify the two circuits (device and headphones) down to resistances and power sources to see why that is the case.

For example, if the device's output impedance is higher w/ respect to the input impedance of the headphones, less volts will be received on the headphones. You can look up impedance bridging if you want more detail.

The reason why headphones have low input impedance, is so that it can be louder (more current flowing through the headphones due to less resistance). High end headphones have higher input impedance because they care about the quality of the music (signal integrity) and less about volume (since devices these headphones usually connect to can output a lot of power).

I do believe this is inherently a hardware issue which can be helped with software, but you can only do so much.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Overmann

[ Edited ]

I had a chance to test a device today. I brought 2 headsets/earbuds (Sennheiser IE7 "16ohm" and beyerdynamic 770DT pro "80ohm"). I also tested the phone with the earbuds that come with the phone and two headsets that were at the place where i tested (one AKG and one other something. I did not find out the ohm on these).

Unlike everyone else I did NOT notice a huge difference between low ohm and high ohm headphones. The poor bass-response was present either way. However, the sound DOES get better overall. I should note that i only had a chance to test mix-radio, and streaming music is never as good as lossless (is the lumia 800 able to play uncompressed files?).

It sounded to me that the main problems were below 100hz. The bass- and kickdrum-response was almost completely gone (20-80hz) and the fatness in the bass was, well.. NOT fatness. However, the sound has a thickness to it, which would suggest that it has quite a lot going on between 100hz and 300hz and I suggest that this thickness is the reason why so many people are not outraged by this. Also the fact that many low-end headphones have bass and treble boost to give a more hi-fi sound often gives a misleading sound. If not downright ugly sound, no matter what the device (phone) is outputing. People get used to this.

I will not be able to use Lumia 800 as a referance device for music and sound mixes, but I ordered one anyway. Damn nice phone. :smileyhappy: I hope they add EQ quickly. And if they can: Get the bass-response sorted out. This problem is found in ALL Lumia 800 devices. No reason for Nokia not to deal will this full force.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

For some reason Zune PC client has in default that it converts music on the lower quality. Remember to check that it only converts files not supported.

Settings-->Phone-->Conversion settings

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tonkerdog

I have ordered a Bluetooth reciever for my B&O A8 headphones. When i get it i'll plug them in, sync it with the 800 and see if we can then at least bypass this problem. £15 from Ebay.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

Ok as far as i'm concerned it's software problem.

Like some other here, i updated, reverted back and it the bottom end is there now and in general the phone sounds 5x better!

Please use plain text.