Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Advisor
Overmann

[ Edited ]

@tonttula

Could you possibly do some kind of test like the one on GSMarena? I just ordered my device and I will do one "out-of-the-box", but it would be a great source of comfort if you could provide one of a device actually working like it should. As the device DIDN'T prior to the update/downgrade.

It would be really great if you did. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

I would love to do the test, but lack the equipment to do it. :smileysad:

To me the difference is clear. 

All those who have had problems with Lumia 800 sound quality try these out.

Remember to check that it only converts files not supported and mark the quality as high as possible

Settings-->Phone-->Conversion settings

It will then download all your music files again so it will take some time

After getting the new firmware update, revert back. Haven't yet tried to get the newest firmware back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AnoopParwani

[ Edited ]

Tonttula i didnt get this part of yours from one of your previous replies -- "and it the bottom end is there now" 

could you rephrase that please.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

[ Edited ]
"lower frequencies" The highs still feel to be a bit too sharp, mids a bit smudgy. It's by no means Nokia's best device when using 3.5mm jack but i'm fine with it.
Please use plain text.
jwshale

@ Tonttula - I think I have also had some improvement in sound after reverting my firmware and subsequently upgrading again. It's still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's better than before.

As said by ekw88, I'd have thought that audio problems that depend on the impedance of headphones attached are likely to be a hardware issue.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tonkerdog

SOLVED.

As per my previous thread i have now received a Bluetooth dongle for my headset. Today it has arrived and after 5 minutes of use i can confirm that the bass etc is as good as any player i have used. Before volume 30 was really pathetic, whereas now 19-21 is almost too loud. Hurray at last.

Bluetooth A2DP Audio Music Headset Earphone Wireless Receiver Adapter, from hidream2011 on Ebay. £15.00

ps not me if thats what your thinking:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

That's my belief too, I only use my Bluetooth headsets and speakers and the audio is excellent.
If this was helpful please click Star for Kudos

Phone history :-3210, 3100, 3200, 6230i, N73, N95-8GB, N97, N8, Lumia800, Lumia920, Lumia620, Lumia820, Lumia1020
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Overmann

This is great news. Is there any significant difference between different BlueTooth receivers? I see the price varies a LOT. And doesn't it drain the battery life of the phone very quickly when using bluetooth?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tonkerdog

[ Edited ]

I have been using my cheapy dongle from Ebay(£15) for 2 hours now and the battery life hasn't been affected significantly. I have heard better detail with this method than the I touch that i have been using for exactly the same music.

Just as an edit, the top trebles are very detailed but the mids could do with beefing up and about 20% more bass, but its still a damn site better than it was. Equaliser please.

It works and it works very well. Again volume 23 and its almost too loud. Hurray

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
matmos75

I too have been reading these forums for weeks and wondering the same.  I've always been fussy about sound quality and disappointed with the audio on my 1st gen ipod touch compares to a Sony player I have.  Just updated to the new firmware and it sounds fine, especially with my Sennheiser PX100 - I have no idea what the impedance of them is. I do get the static click between tracks which is disappointing, but can live with that.  This is my first smartphone (exc a work blackberry) and I love it.

Matt

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AnoopParwani

[ Edited ]

ISSUE SOLVED!!!!! It was the Phone that was the issue. Got it replaced for a brand new one. 

So this is what happened. I called up the store i bought the phone from. This was 4 days after me having the phone. I told them i have issues hearing people while i speak to them on the phone. That the volume is low compared to other phones even on 10.  A phone isnt a phone if im struggling every now and then to hear the person on the other end. 

I also told them about the issue we're all facing with the audio quality from the headphones, no bass response and no low frequencies. 

He said he'd take it in for repairs first. I said what am i gonna do without a phone. He said ok ill exchange it for me. For a brand new piece. 

So we set up the exchange for the next day. One of his guys came to take the phone to get it exchanged at the Nokia factory or something. They werent agreeing to exchange it as for them it can only be done within 2 days. Other wise the next option is repair. The store owner apparantly had a big fight with them on my behalf and told them i was out of town hence we couldnt return it earlier. Nokia finally bought in and replaced the phone for me for a brand new piece and guess what.. The disastrous audio quality while listening to music doesnt exist anymore!!

Im using the headphones that came in the box and the same tracks sound much better. Bass is back and so are the low frequencies. 

I tried syncing my music with both settings, when a song exceeds a certain quality then convert and the other one with convert only if not supported. Audio quality was the same. Good that is... 

Software version is not 8107. its the one before that. Ive not updated yet. Phone is syncing right now hence cant check.. Will update, check and post back if any issues. 

So replacing the phone worked for me. You guys should send it back for repairs or an exchange as well if u still can. 

Will update if i have any new findings. Do let me know if any of u need me to check something else.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ankitshere87

Hi Folks , 

I have been following the posts here and on other websites since last two weeks and i own this phone for about 4 weeks now.

I am in love with the device and have absolutely no compaints as everything works and is performaing like a breeze.

I hvae recommended this phone to several people already, they like the experience themselves..

I was earlier using an HTC Desire HD and an Iphone 3GS before that...

For all those people , who are fooling here in the pretext of this impedance nonsense, i have tried headsets with up to 32 ohms of impedance with 14- 20,000 Hz frequency response which sound dream like on other platforms....

i have heard the standard Nokia supplied ear plus on a Desire HD and it sounds like the best on it whereas it dies on this(no depth, weak Bass reproduction)

I also own a Nokia BH 503, and the sound on it is very good, very very decent.

Now my point is , im not saying that it should be the best in the industry(when other things about it simply are) but still it should atleast match its competitors on so so important features like audio qualtiy like these....  why is it SO AVERAGE !!!!!

PS: honestly, My mothers old Nokia has better Bass reproduction(not better output levels)

Please please Please fix this, Dont miss it afterreaching so close !

Peace

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dsimonas

Hi guys,

I found something that could help defining what is wrong. Those who have BH-111 or similar Bluetooth devices please check this also and share your findings. My firmware is 11501 but please try it on what you have.

So, with the bh-111 the sound is really better, but then I tried to put my headphones back to lumia with bh still on, and the sound was equal trough both devices. Then I connected back the headphones to bh  listened a bit music to remember how it sounded, paused(important!) the music and shut down bh device(leave Bluetooth on just shutdown device). Then connected headphones back to lumia and the sound was terrible.

So if someone tries this and they will get same results, we can assume that there are problems with software that handles outputs. And it may be not only software thing, but hey im not an engineer :]

Please share your findings and opinion, as I found a way to contact Nokia directly not trough Nokia care or call center, so I need to crush them with evidence :]

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stueyboy

I've got a BH-111 headset so will try that later. I did notice that after the firmware update, the sound was better.

I do think that the treble is actually too high on this device and the bass is OK for me
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrEdward

Hey guys, do you remember when I was thinking that the audio output was specificaly designed for the headset design by Monster ?

Well, I just received mine (in ear version NOKIA WH920 NO) and the sound is huge.
You have very very (veryyyyyy) deep bass and crisp high, but you still have muddy middle and the annoying noise beetween songs 

Once plugged to my Iphone 3gs, the headset produce too much bass, and maybe it's a sign that the audio profile of the lumia 800 is setup to match it.

Last thing, the nokia purity is obviously designed for "big beat" music (electro, dance, hiphop). Guitar based music is pushing the middle and the purity is not really good at this...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
treysparker

For the record:

The problem hasnt been solved at all.

When you say "SOLVED" by plugging in a bluetooth headset and having it work, that doesnt mean the problem is solved it means you've found a way to get around the problem.

The fact you cant plug in any model of earbuds into the jack and have it work means the problem still exists. Obviously.

Id love to hear if any professional audio engineers like myself are out there. Im sick of reading opinions of people who have no idea what they're talking about.

"The low end is kinda back but the sound could be better" What does that even mean!?

What bothers me is that what many of you dont realize is that the bass isnt actually back, you've simply plugged in a pair of buds that exagerate the low end which gives the appearance of low end, but its not. Its an illusion. That would explain the muddyness that still exists. Also, regarding Zune and low quality audio files - the bass should still be there. When a file is compressed or converted to lower quality its the high end that suffers the most, converting to a lower quality cuts off the high end (10,000hz +)

No one has solved the problem yet. Ive only seen one person who claims when he returned the device and had Nokia exchange the device say the sound improved - which tells me Nokia knows about the problem but is keeping hush about it and have fixed the problem on newly manufactured devices. 

So many have tried entirely different things and claimed 'better quality'. Im highly skeptical. The bass is either 100% back and the quality is fantastic or the problem still exists. Theres no in between.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dsimonas

treysparker dont be so mad :] everybody just wants to help solve the problem. Just skip the word "SOLVED" :] And please try to connect some BLUETOOTH device that can play music, and while it's connected try to listen to music trough 3.5mm jack. I found out that sound quality is changng in these conditions, so its probably something wrong with output control software. Please share your results so i could contact nokia with this.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Harish_C6

Yes, i had connected bluetooth headsets yesterday and today just plugged in the wired headsets via 3.5mm and found that the sound is good (i mean much better before it was paired with a BT headset).

No idea whats happening!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dsimonas

Harish_C6 glad to hear that this is not only in my device. so we can assume that it is common issue.

So someone with technical background should figure it out, why analog output is playing better when digital active?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ankitshere87

Ok I tried this little trick that you suggested . Didn't work for me . Used BH 501 .

Also would like to defend tress passers comment here,what is the point of misleading and saying somebody solved something .
I wasted my time looking for all my headphones to try one impedance nonsense mentioned somewhere.

Anyways, off purse as U said I hope this is a software thing and is solved using a software update ;-)

Who soul like to kill customer care flies after buying a cellphones this expensive .

Please use plain text.