Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Advisor
AnoopParwani

3 weeks for repairs :smileysurprised:

Waaaaay too long imo.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dankspain

Got mine today, audio sucks on 16ohm earphones, meh for the 32ohm's and really good for my mdr-v6 (64ohms). So I hope they fix this amplifier issue on the next update...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jdeeewp

Having the same issue with the lumia 710. i am also getting a funny side affect as well.

when i plug in 3 pin headphones, it thinks i am activating voice search. and randomly drops the volume. i think these are all functions on the pure headsets (volume, voice search mic...)

i think they messed up the headphone jack and i would be surprised if its something that can be fixed in a software update.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
seventeenAPG

All of

jdeeewp wrote:
Having the same issue with the lumia 710. i am also getting a funny side affect as well.

when i plug in 3 pin headphones, it thinks i am activating voice search. and randomly drops the volume. i think these are all functions on the pure headsets (volume, voice search mic...)

i think they messed up the headphone jack and i would be surprised if its something that can be fixed in a software update.

us are now waiting patientlyfor Nokia to send us the firmware fix for the absolutely terrible audio quality from both the loudspeaker and the audio jack. How long can it take to fix this??? We are still waiting Nokia....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Rezun

I cannot use the phone this way... I'm getting inpatient. Please Nokia, do something about this issue.

Please use plain text.
GerritJan

I'm a lumia 800 owner. Bought by ThePhoneHouse (Holland).

I bought the phone on its release date. Having battery problems all along, also after the battery update. Currently my phone has all its updates installed - still the battery lasts less than one day .. THINK OF THAT.. really think about it; you cannot use a phone like this! 

Audio quality; I cannot imagine Nokia has not thoroughly thought through the importance of MEDIA on this phone. After all these months, all promises (batt. problem, Equalizer / audio quality problem) they have not addressed anything exhaustively.

I tried to RMA this phone for it's battery problems, ThePhoneHouse wouldn't do it. I contacted Nokia support SEVERAL times to RMA the phone - one reaction ONLY stating as much as : "Wait for the update" 

The GUI and screen quality are fantastic. ALL other expectation were extremely unsatisfactory. 

It's not my intention to bash Nokia, I wish them all the best in their competition in this heavily competing market.
Taking the feedback of their costumers seriously is a extremely important factor.

So far, their 'support' has started and funded a attrition warfare! Even in military, this is the last option! 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darkpuh

I'm also desperately waiting for news on getting this issues fixed. The audio quality is terrible after switching from iPhone! Battery life issues seem to have at least improved in my phone, but the audio quality issue is the one big reason, why I can't recommend this phone to my friends...

Please use plain text.
UK1119

Decided to upgrade from a Nokia 5800 Express Music (excellent audio quality, deep bass) to a Lumia 800 in January. The Lumia 800 is a sweet phone but I cannot forgive the terrible audio quality on normal earphones. Used Sennheiser earphones in the 3.5 jack with an impedance of 32 and there is simply no bass whatsoever. Ear canal headphones may improve things slightly but the audio issues are clearly down the build (hardware&software) of the phone. I was fortunate enough to have ordered my phone online from 02 (uk) and was able to change my mind but others may not be so fortunate as most other sellers don't offer a 'change your mind' period.

It's so disappointing as this is an awesome phone (if you're not into music that much). Windows Phone is a refreshing change and so easy to use. However, if audio quality (and deep bass) are of importance to you and you're using regular earphones (not ear canal), you will likely end up very disappointed. Nokia have not included an audio equalizer with this phone so the problem of a tinny hollow sound is only exacerbated. I know at least one other manufacturer has provided an equalizer - which I can confirm does provide a marked improvement over the Lumia 800. I now have a different Windows phone (which I can put up with) but it's definitely not as good as the old 5800 audio quality :smileysad:

In conclusion, Windows Phone audio seems to be inferior (even to Symbian - old Nokia OS). If audio quality & deep bass are important to you, and you plan on using regular earphones in the 3.5 jack, you will likely be sorely disappointed. If you're already stuck with this phone, I believe the only hope is for some sort of equalizer to be provided by Nokia - which is not looking positive at the current time.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
juanj

Quite useful feedback. Thanks UK1119...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Thepete1

I have a Lumia 710 with the same problem. My problem is not with the headset though. I try to connect to the Aux port of my car and there is absolutely no bass. Are there any higher resistance audio cable for that? I was thinking about getting the Nokia bluetooth receiver but $50 is pretty steep. ordered a $12 one from China and will see how that works. WOuld like to just use the headphone jack though considering the battery life on this thing sucks and bluetooth is just gonna make it worse.

Please use plain text.
Tahnee

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darkpuh

Excellent news! Can't wait!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

yes, the audio issue is fixed. The bass sounds very rich now! I love it!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
seventeenAPG

This is indeed great news that FW 12070 is being released. I jut hope that we get the upgrade rlled out a hell of a lot quicker than 11500/1. It has indeed been very slow and there are still Lumia owners out there who have not had it yet. Hey , who knows ..  we might even get tethering included in this update. How good would that be if Nokai included that? All of this will serve to make the Lumia 800 a class act to follow.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

theres no tethering in this update.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jerms

Audiophile phone now with 12070 update!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
WhiteAlien

Really? Not available in France. What region are you living?
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

I can confirm that the audio is now very good with the new update. very impressed.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Gotta say the difference is night and day.. **bleep** this phone now sings with music now. the best sounding phone I've owned. Very very good.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rahulxsinha

Really Fantastic Music Playback Response.... We all complained so harshly to Nokia.... Now I believe that since they sorted it out "BRILLIANTLY" >> NOKIA DESERVES A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE...

Well Done Nokia..... I must admit that its a Shining Example of what Customer Service should be... But please share some yes/no on these discussion forums if you plan to address something.... We are ready to walk with you and You have our Full Support.... :smileyhappy:

Cheers !!! 

Please use plain text.