Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

I'm now testing with AudioTechnica ATH-M40 and the bass is very loud, almost too much for my Therion Chains of Minerva. The cymbals are very crisp and the vocals are clear (as mouch as can be expected out of mp3!). 

I only get "clicks" when skipping tracks. I inserted the jack BEFORE opening Zune and pressing 'play'.

I'm very happy with the sound quality (I know these headphones are overthetop regarding bass, which is why they are my secondary set).

It sounds so good I'm getting goosebumps :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Musabetes

Hi!

I've got Lumia 800 from my employer a week ago with latest release 1600.2487.8107.12070 preinstalled. The headset which came with the phone (WH-902 or -901 series?) works fine. I can even say that sound is one of the the bests I ever had in mobile phones. I 'm very surprised especially after all those infinite discussions about bad quality of music player in Lumia. I presume this headset is optimized for Lumia problems. But unfortunately it has so big speakers (why so basic and obsolete design anyway???) that I cannot use it, it simply don't fit my ears. I also need the microphone. So I ended up buying Purify Monster Nokia headset claimed to been designed especially for the Lumia and presenting the best quality. But it was a disaster! No low frequencies at all and powerless volume control. Also the stop-button didn't work. I returned this and got another one for trying - there was the same issue again with bass and volume. After that have also tryed WH-701 (claimed to be compatible with Lumia 800) - this didn't work at all! Buttons didn't respond and sound... well it was next to nothing. Next was basic headset from Samsung (as a curiosity) - and it performed even better that this Purify Monster! I have emailed to Nokia and they suggested bluetooth BH-214 and BH-505. Does anyone here have some experience of using those devices? Needless to say after all of this I have no enthusiasm to by some expencive hi-fi headsets without microphone and especially without any certainty about how they works with Lumia.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

Hmmm, I bought the Nokia Purity and it is amazing. Just find the right pad size for you , it affects the bass a lot, ranging from too much to too little. Remember to plug in the headset BEFORE starting Zune. They sound better than my Sennheiser CX90.

The volume controls work, but the start/stop key is laggy when the phone is locked.

Please use plain text.
chimplad

Hi,
I'm running my new lumia on .72 software and the sound is way too quiet with in-earphones.
/still get the 'poping' noise when locking/unlocking the phone and in between track skipping too.

it is being replaced on thursday for a screen assembly issue so will hopefully be the handset and not outright issue...however if this is what i have to expect for 2 years, the new one will be swapped for a complete different manufacturer as i've found too many issues with this compared to my old 5800.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
edwgil

Nokia lumia 800 UK specifications are misleading/ false. I purchased a nokia lumia 800 with nokia monster headphones because I had been promised "Both products provide a fresh listening experience and are the first output of the exclusive long-term partnership between Nokia and Monster, intended to introduce a range of premium audio accessories to reflect the outstanding quality and bold style of the Lumia range," stated the Finnish phone giant.". Specifications clearly state that wma lossless audio is supported, but when transferring to phone using the zune software it is downsampled to 320kbs. Promoting expensive headphones to be used on a phone which can only support 320kbs audio is pointless. It would sound just as good or bad on a budget set. In fact in most instances the audio is worse through the expensive headphones as they serve to highlight the failings and compression of the low bit rate audio. I emailed customer support and was told that the phone's hardware does not in fact support the playback of wma lossless. As I have been sold something which is not as described will Nokia undertake to refund all outgoings on said phone. As I understand it, though I may be wrong, to use false/misleading advertising to sell or promote a product may in fact be illegal in UK

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

edwgil, if music playback quality is important to you, I really won't recommend the Lumia 800. The phone has its strengths but audio playback is not one of them. I would recommend the Nokia N9 which also support FLAC and WMA and I can personally attest to its high playback quality.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
edwgil

[ Edited ]

KennyKB, I have to admit I feel as though I have been conned by Nokia. I do have a portable flac player for my music, but was looking for a windows phone which would allow lossless audio playback, just to be able to listen to the occasional album when I did not have my flac player with me.. The promise of wma lossless on the lumia 800 along with nokia monster headset designed specifically to allow the best audio quality from the lumia phone seemed too good to pass. It was only after purchase and after converting music to wma lossless that I realized that the specifications for the phone seemed to be false, i.e lossless transfer to phone was not possible so not playable..  My phone supplier will not refund even though I have informed them that It is my belief that it is not as described. They say the phone is functioning as intended and is not faulty. My gripe is that I don't think the phone is functioning as intended, as it was intended to play wma lossless audio which it does not. I have contacted nokia again and the issue has been passed to the technical teams and the R&D teams and I am awaiting a further response. My concern at the moment is who is going to refund me for a phone that I feel is not fit for purpose.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
markbt

I wish I'd known about this before I bought the phone. It's running with 12070 and has background noise and clicks/pops when changing tracks. Worse than the cheapest mp3 player I've ever had. I thought this was a high end phone and Nokia were into high quality audio as it's advertised with expensive Monster headphones.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Alumina 800 disastrous audio quality

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. As far as the mentioning of WMA 9 lossless support for Windows Phones this is being looked into and will be corrected on the website. The correct specifications can be found on the developer site.

Please refer to the terms for the website:

This site and the contents herein are provided as a convenience to you. The contents of Nokia World Wide Web pages are provided on "as is" and "as available" basis. Nokia does not warrant that its Web pages will be uninterrupted or error-free.

Thanks for understanding,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edwgil

[ Edited ]

Kosh, I think you seem to be missing the point. Before purchasing the lumia 800 here in the UK I checked it's specifications on Nokia UK website. I go through the same process for any item I purchase whether it is a car, washing machine, t.v etc.I check the specifications on the manufacturers website. I then decide which item I should purchase based on those specifications and whether they would suit my needs. As the nokia lumia promised support for wma lossless audio, I decided it would fit my purpose.  I have now discovered after purchase it does not fit my purpose because It is not as described. It does not support the transfer and playback of wma lossless. If I purchased a tv which was described as full 1080p HD support and after switching on discovered it only supported  720p I would have the same issue. What I am getting at here, as I have tried to make clear on previous post is that Nokia are selling a product which does not meet it's advertised specifications. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi edwigil,

Thanks for your post.

The website information, as the terms state, is provided as-is and are not guaranteed to be error free. However while the specs on the developer website do not mention support for WMA 9 lossless specifically. 

According to this page WMA 9 lossless is indeed not supported in Windows phone. I have forwarded this so the information on the website can be corrected.

As a side note I have edited your posts where they contain language or statements which under the forum guidelines are not allowed.

Hope this helps and thanks for understanding,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gomezleonardo

Actually I have the same complain. I can not believe that a high end device as it is the Lumia 800 has those annoying bacground noise when I'm changing tracks or when I'm listening to low volume and instrumental music. I sounds like a cheap old radio.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SILVAF0XX

I have this issue with my Lumia 800 and I am very dissapointed! I previously had an HTC 7 Trophy which was one of the first Windows phones and it had none of these issues.

I use my phone in the car to listen to my music on the daily commute and have done for the last year or so. It has actually become quite a chore now.

There is white noise when the aux cable is connected and at random times in the menus and also as others are reporting, there is a popping noise between tracks.

I don't profess to understand what is happening, but I am seriously worried that is is a hardware issue! I just would like Nokia to at least tell us if it can be resolved by a software update... or are they scared to tell us otherwise!

Another annoyance is the fact that you cannot set the screen timeout to "never" unlike my previous windows phone! Surely this is built into the OS and should be present?

I use the phone as a music player with my Zune subscription asn as the phone is charging, I am not concerned about battery consumption but just want to be able to easily change tracks! It is very annoying to have to unlock the phone after 5 mins!!

I wish I had not used the buy back option with my Trophy now as it could have been used for a music player!!

My phone even makes those stuttering speaker noises occasionally when I'm playing games or watching videos... weird!!

Come on Nokia!!
Please use plain text.
Lasseh

I just bought my Lumia after checking numerous revues. Unfortunally no revues I read mentioned the missing bass/low tones on the unit - the sound with my Sennheiser CX300II is completely without bass!!!

I was so pleased with my new phone - finally an alternative to my iPhone. And then this...

Please someone tell me, that this problem can be fixed, and it is not a hardware issue!

The lack of replies from Nokia on this long and ongooing thread gives me little hope, though...

Come on, Nokia - answer this thread. Tell us, if you can fix this. Otherwise I have to go back to iPhone (and I don't want that).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Piers0930

mate i total agree with you, using beats is just **bleep**, there too quite. :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chipset987

[ Edited ]

Studying  the LUMIA 800 schematics, i noticed that headphone design is "cap less", This configuration minimizes low impedance headphones interaction with frecuency response of headphone amplifier. I think that "bass less" sound could be fixed with software upgrade.

Moderator's note; removed attached part of schematic. This is copyrighted material which can't be distributed in any form without prior permission.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chipset987

Sorry for my english!!
Please use plain text.
Chilly_pz

I use sony mdr-ex310LP buds and music sounds fantastic on them either on my computere or on my old Nokia C7, but on my new Lumia 800 music sounds just...flat....I will probably change Lumia...I'm not neither an Apple nor Android fan...but Lumia sounds just bad....I tried my buds on Iphone and Galaxy Tab (android) and they sounded just as good as on  the other devices (without Lumia 800, of course ) :smileysad:
does Nokia plan some sort of EQ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Inquizative

With the Lumia Phones in particular the 710 Lumia, you need headphones like "iLuv" headphones.  The high end phones can disaapoint you.  I had the best Bose ear buds had to offer and they sound absolutely terrible on the Lumia!

I do not understand why Lumia engineers don't update the sound quality or at least include a app the gives a equalizer or something.  The sound is horrendous!!

Get "iLuv earbuds" they are cheap and they improve the bass dramatically.  They will never be anything close to the iPhones sound quality but it will suffice somewhat.

Nothing beats the dazziling Windows 7.5 Mango for the visuals.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rob_syd

Just adding to the chorus of complaints about. volume on the 800, I got a replacement handset from Vodafone Australia but no improvement. No bass and volume too low even when cranked up to 30, tried different headphones. Unbelievable in 2012 that I can't trust audio quality. Had to revert back to xperia active purely and soley because of the low volume , sad and disappointing
Please use plain text.