Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

gggggggg

Re: Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality

+1 for no change after the update.

Do we have a date for the second update yet?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tannjew

[ Edited ]

+1 for no change after the update.

My second Lumia 800 still has the same sound issues which I have mentioned in different postings,  but not as loud as the first one.

Somewhere I read that the update is scheduled for January 2012.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
crystal405

Ive heard,.. i read, ... what about an offical statement? Come on, Nokia.

I doubt it can be fixed via firmware update. :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vangrieg

So I finally replaced my unit with another one and I'm happy to say that it sounds great, albeit I do like a little bass bump, so an EQ surely wouldn't hurt. 

Anyways, this phone CAN produce great sound, which is the great news.

The bad news of course is that if it doesn't sound well for you, it's most likely a component failure, and there's like zero probability that it can be fixed with software.

One peculiar thing is that both phones were manufactured on the same day, and IMEI numbers differ by only about 700.  So they were likely manufactured in the same production run. Everything else seems totally identical. This means that there is no way to distinguish a faulty handset from a proper one, apart from testing them with your own earphones. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vangrieg

Oh, and one more thing - there's no headphone/radio interference on this unit. There IS some brief white noise when I start playback, but it's like really no big deal at all, nothing even closely as annoying as what I had with the first Lumia.  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jragar

Add me to this list. if I pause music, or the music goes quiet i can hear something like what you got from a speaker in the mid 90s with mobile interference
Please use plain text.
seb1987

cant say there is a noticeable difference from any handset ive had in the last 6 months, list includes sensation xe,xl glxy s2, iphone 4s, nokia e7 calm down ppls proper trolling the lumia its a fantastic device!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
treysparker

Im sorry but after reading a few posts here i had to sign up to give my opinion. 

Ive been a music producer for the last 12 years, and thus know exactly what im talking about. 

The audio quality on the 800 is absolutely horrendous. I dont have a clue why Nokia hasnt responded to this issue. I was so sick of it I had to go back to using my older iphone 3G and now my lumia stays at home, not being used. 

To ignore the objective facts doesnt make any sense. GSM arena confirmed, there is absolutely no lower frequencies. They simply dont exist. There is no bass, bottom line. This needs to be fixed and or addressed immediately otherwise im going to be forced to purchase an iPhone 4S, and dont think I want to but as a music producer I dont have a choice. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Bh222

The Amazing Everyday doesmt include music playback obviously! I use beats headphones and I can tell the difference straight away.... Why do HTC windows phones have Music settings and the lumia doesn't? People are expecting more from phones these days and music is one of the main things... (apple marketed this with the first gen iPhone) and for Nokia to release a phone without something so BASIC! as music settings is a joke.. Even more of a joke is the fact that they don't seem to be acknowledging it
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tannjew

Add me to this list. if I pause music, or the music goes quiet i can hear something like what you got from a speaker in the mid 90s with mobile interference

+1  the same with me. In particular when the phone is sending/receiving data. And it's worse when I use the headphones.

Please use plain text.
Sage
rahulxsinha

I bought Lumia 800 two days ago with an absolute surety that the Sound Quality is bound to be fantastic, considering the flagship model with high hopes.

To my horror, I was completely shocked with the dismal sound quality through headphone jack.

I tried Shure, Bose, Creative and Future Sonics FS1. All of them sounded disastrous. Extremely low volume output even at max settings, Tiny Bass, No soundstage whatsoever. So there is definitely a BIG PROBLEM with the Sound Output via 3.5 mm Jack + Headphones.

ANOTHER ISSUE: I have a Nokia J Bluetooth Headset (BH-806), which does not have Volume control on the device. The Call volume was also horribly LOW when connected to Lumia 800. 

LUCKILY THOUGH, I also have a Nokia BH-111 bluetooth Stereo headset. I paired the BH-111 to Lumia 800 and connected by FutureSonics FS1 to Bluetooth Receiver & BINGO, the volume level INCREASED DRAMATICALLY. The missing Bass returned.

I request MODERATOR to pass this on to the Nokia Engineers and I hope to atleast get some response Soon.

Cheers !!! 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Typerage

Terrible Terrible sound quality in the Lumia 800!! Compared to my previous phone (HTC Legend) this sounds dead!! They deperately need to improve the EQ on this one if they want to continue calling it a premium phone...!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xumix

[ Edited ]

There IS quality loss. Compare this before and after:

Moreover, there is NO difference on other files, the bass is still disastrous.

Moderator's note: Link to web site that is not in English removed. Nokia Discussions uses English as a common language for all forum activities.

Please use plain text.
Sage
rahulxsinha

Hi Xumix,

Thank You for the correction. Maybe I should try with 90-95 range.

At least we know that it is a Software issue. I was totally worried about the possibility of Hardware  failure... BTW, some songs without the gain seems absolutely fine and unaffected by the Bass Issue.

Looks like there is something more under the hood that needs immediate attention. Although ReplayGain can increase the volume but its not the Complete Resolution per-se. Couple of my NuMetal Songs developed tearing and hissing after the gain.

I will keep researching, but I doubt that unless Nokia/Microsoft acknowledges the problem and fixes it in the Device OS CORE, there is nothing much for us to do.

Cheers !!! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
CohenMed

I'm a Nokia Lumia 800 owner from november. I think I will change my phone because the audio quality is very important to me, the Nokia Lumia audio quality is dire, dire and dire. I love Windows Phone, I love the Lumia design and the others benefits but the audio quality is very important.  The Nokia Lumia 800 is not a cheap device, Nokia couldn't afford. Bye Bye Nokia, Bye Bye Windows Phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tonttula

[ Edited ]
The sound quality is absolutely horrible. It's great on my N9, but on 800 it lacks bass, and i'm not talking about it lacking bass, it doesn't have any. I know Nokia can make great sounding devices like N9 and N8 so what gives? There's huge difference between the sound quality of my N9 to 800 and i'm myself crazy about high end in-ears and i was excited about mix radio plus 800. What worries me even more is that many are reporting that some devices do not have this problem. So are we talking about hw problem? Returning my Lumia 800. C'mon Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CohenMed

All Nokia Lumia have audio problems. No equalizers, no audio settings. Hopefully Nokia fix this fault with the second update in January.

Who says his smartphone does not have that problem because he is deaf.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
elmerendeiro

I just want to say that i had an HTC HD7 Windows Phone (now stolen) and audio quality with good earphones was great, and you also had equalizer, srs and dolby. So it's not an OS fault, trust me, pick an htc windows phone and you'll see
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
06citizen06

Good morning ppl,

I am also facing this weird annoying feature on my brand new Lumia.

However let me provide with an additional info.

I have got 2 pairs of headphone: 1 pair of earphones Sennheiser CX300 (entry level, 30 Euros) and 1 pair of headphones Koss UR-40 (midlevel I believe, around 80 Euros).

I can clearly see the difference between the 2: with the Sennheiser I hear this annoying noise at low volume, plus my music feels bass-less! With the Koss there is absolutely no noise whatsoever and the quality is much better! I would even say that it nears the audio quality of my iPod Touch (3rd generation).

Has anyone experienced such a thing?

So far I am really disappointed with the overall audio quality, this Lumia is my first smartphone and I cannot understand how come Nokia could release a device with such a poor audio output.

Additionally I am also experiencing the short battery life porblem! I am going to give it a try anyway for a couple ways, but if it does not get improved I guess my only solution will be return it and ask for a new one.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

06citizen06 wrote:

Additionally I am also experiencing the short battery life porblem! I am going to give it a try anyway for a couple ways, but if it does not get improved I guess my only solution will be return it and ask for a new one.

Don't know what time limit you have imposed but although you won't get 1500mAH until next firmware update it may take 10-20 cycles of full discharge/charge to reach it's full potential.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.