Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Advisor
corwin

JCinMijas, can you please check the 'Charged in percent' value in your diagnosis menu (activate by ##634# in the dialer) and post here?

They were as well on mine - at least the first one, not the second one (use push notifications).

And it ran happily for 20 hours the first days, until it ran empty for the first time. I also already have the 7740 update, solved nothing for me.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jragar

Has anyone tried a hard reset to sort the 65535% issue? I'm away from home with no broadband so can't risk not having drive etc,will test in a few days when im back ir no one else can
Please use plain text.
Advisor
corwin

[ Edited ]

Actually I am tempted to try. I HAVE asked Nokia in my support case about this, but...

Problem so far is, that I want to know, what value is shown with 'OK' handsets. If there was a sensible value, we would know if it is OK afterwards instantly.

So, anybody here who's phone is lasting a day? Can you please type ##634# in dialer, start the diagnostics app and check the 'xxx%charged'-value in 'Battery'?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JCinMijas

[ Edited ]

Mine is at 6555%, but havent charged since I deactivated those settings I spoke about - want to drain my battery before charging again and see if I replicate some of the issues I have been seeing here.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DarthNaga

both the settings were unticked for me, i did that on day one, also i checked my battery and mine also says 65535%,
full charge capacity 1513mAh and remaining charge capacity is 1285mAh and the battery is on 98% and i tookit off charge about 3o mins ago.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jragar

I'm unsure if I let mine discharge entirely, but it only charges up to around 1320mAh in the diagnostic tool before cutting off

Please use plain text.
Advisor

i see that on all our phones the voltage drops with the charge. when the battery is almost out, then the voltage shows 3,7. Maybe the 3,7V rating refers to the minimum voltage. also, since the voltage is slightly higher on a fully charged battery, the charge seems lower, however the battery power (V * I) is the same as spec (intensity is lower but voltage is higher so it evens out).

Actually i did some monitorin yesterday on the phone and here is what i found:

standby flight mode - charge drops with 2mAh per hour

standby GSM - charge drops with 7/8mAh per hour

standby GSM + WiFi active - charge drops with 60mAh per hour

browsing on WiFi - charge drops with 270mAh per hour

GSM calling - charge drops with 360mAh per hour (I had 4bars signal) --> NOKIA states "up to" 13h GSM calling, that should be like 110mAh charge reduction per hour....

maybe it's not the battery, maybe the phone simply needs too much power.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

at 1320mAh and 4,1V, the battery power would be 1320mAh * 4,1V = 5,41Wh
at 1450mAh and 3,7V, power would be 5,36Wh.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
segana

I too am experiencing extremely poor battery life and upon doing the battery test am finding similar results to everyone else.

I just fully charged my Lumia and in battery saver, the estimated time left was 11 hours?!?!? That just isn't right.

Unlike some in the thread, I have no interest in changing my Lumia for anything else as I've wanted a WP for ages and feel that other than the poor battery life, it's the best WP device around. I've had an iPhone and an Android Phone and I don't want to go back to them as it's not until you own a WP that you realise how poor Android is and how boring iOS is (in my opinion that is lol).

I've just submitted my issue to Nokia Support like others have said, would advise everyone coming here who's having this issue to do the same.

I'm not angry with Nokia and I'm not demanding anything, I'm just hoping that they put the consumer first and show good customer service and get a fix for this issue.

Proud Nokia Lumia 1020 (Yellow) Owner
Please use plain text.
Advisor
prowede

Can anyone share the battery life of other WP7 phone compare with Lumia? (similar usage )
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

We now have a statement from Nokia in response to some of the questions that we have been receiving, and some useful general advice:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Reponse-to-customers-questions-about...

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

30 mins charging from the box was interesting
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
m_prince_54

The iPhone 4S is having all sorts of battery issues, and I think Android users have just accepted poor battery life as 'normal'.

Give Nokia a chance, I don't think the grass is really greener. I am an iPhone 4 user and some days I get a full day, some I get home from work and its dead.

Keep in mind that your usage is probably higher because you just got the phone, and normal use may be a little different.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
m_prince_54

I don't know if you've missed the news , but the iPhone 4S seems to be having similar issues, even after updates from Apple. Give them a couple of weeks to provide an update. It should work out of the box, yes, but it seems that all the handset makers are trying to get the balance between battery life and services right, with Nokia being no exception.

Please use plain text.
Sage

You'd think yes about the usage being higher but mine can lose 65% overnight by just sitting there.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mnl87

Thats the advice already given on the website. And sorry the statement is not at all what Nokia should have done. Instead of acknowledging that there is a problem with the battery in general they pretty much ignore it and only use empty clichés. The statement does not even mention the alleged update.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
corwin

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the statement, unfortunately this is neither nice, nor helpful.

It is still neglecting that there is a problem or say that there is an update coming.

Even more, it is utterly useless.

Can you please stop telling people what to switch of and start seeing that there is a problem, when a Nokia WP7 device on Energy saving mode lasts only 10 hours in standby (no push-mail, no background processes)?

Can we PLEASE have you stop telling us that this is normal, or that it is worse somewhere else? We are paying customers and the product is faulty. No problem, but please acknowledge the problem and get it fixed, instead of giving utterly useless statements.

Thanks.

PS: This is like irony, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTr6Sk-3z6A&feature=player_embedded

I do NOTHING with the phone and it is draining more than 10 percent per hour.

Please use plain text.
Sage

If he's telling the truth then nokia need to accept that they messed up.
Please use plain text.
Sjaak327

Hmm, very very strange. 10 hours in standby mode before needing to recharge. That's almost unbelieveable. I got the Lumia 800 last friday, and have a fairly decent battery life on the device. At the moment I last charged it 20 hours ago, and it still shows 60% of battery left. I left it on standby for the night (about 6 hours) with a drain of 5% or so. Then took it out, in the car (bluetooth carkit), placed a few calls, surfed the internet briefly, checked my three email accounts (not push mind you), read a months worth of hotmail, my friend looked at some photo's and I also did some brief streaming media. 40% drain over 20 hours, that's not bad, and it looks like I might get by in two days with this usage.

Mind you, I have data connection switched off, as I only have 100 MB/month (and 250 mb at 5 euro), and both at home and at work I have a decent wifi connection (a factor 20-30 quicker than **bleep** internetspeed the provider offers me (2 mbps). I believe WP7 is using your data connection when in standby, instead of the wifi, another reason to switch off that data connection, I have no intention on making my provider happy.

In any case, after 5 days of usage, I am fairly certain that I get 48 hours of battery life with my usage, which suits me fine, and is about a day short of what the N82 could offer me.

It seems either that data connection is killing the battery or quite a few people have a dodgy battery. The weird 65.555% is also showing on my diagnostics by the way.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Wow that's what we all want and should have!

Mine loses the majority overnight. I always have data switched off now but it defeats the object of being able to jump into the people hub and on facebook when I'm out. I don't want to have to keep turning it on and off. But even when it is off, it's terrible.

I could ask my network for a replacement but I want to know that they have fixed whatever it is before I risk getting another dodgy one.
Please use plain text.