Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Contributor
loopz

To try and deduce if my Lumia has a good or bad battery I've downloaded WP Bench. Engadget and IT Pro reported 2hr40 and 3hr10 for the battery test. Other smartphones clocking in around the 3 hour mark. If my Lumia survives the three I know my handset has a good battery. My old HTC Legend and 5800 would last about the same amount of time, always had them sat on a charger at work!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

mkr10001 wrote:
Obviously my new one has not arrived yet.

You have a very bad/unhelpful attitude

Not at all. I sympathise with your problems. I've bricked a number of handsets from lack of knowledge with symbian handsets. I thought you were commenting on  my ability to give advice. I realise the thread is about battery issues. I just wanted to explainthat I've been lucky with this handset. I followed advice from the moderators about how to save battery life and also some of the more established members and it seems to have worked. Good luck with your handset and I hope the new one is okay.

Future updates should help anyway.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Yeah fair enough but we shouldn't be trying to save battery life when there is clearly a fault
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I agree. I really think it's a software issue and that nokia will address this soon. Htc have given a lot of updates for the radar and the battery on that is incredible.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
loopz

Lasted 2 hr 55.  The battery saver kicked in towards then end and switched off the screen, so maybe I was closer to engadgets result.  Had Gmail sync every thirty mins.  Connected to 3G.  Had volume on 10. WiFi off. Bluetooth off.  Web data on.  All background tasks off.  Backed out of apps. Screen brightness auto.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

[ Edited ]

Alright guys, my second handset has improved drastically over the last couple of days. I still haven't been using it heavily, or even moderately, but its lasting the full day now.

For example, on Saturday, unplugged it at 9:30am or so, used bing maps on and off throughout the day as I toured around London. Took a dozen or so photos, no actual phone calls... sent a dozen sms text messages... and surprisingly at 3am when I was searching for a taxi it was still alive (though only barely with the battery saver trying to save that last bit of juice). That's a good 13 hours with a bit of charge left over, much better than it dying before getting home from work.

FYI. I was running with 3d data connected, wifi on, location services, no blutooth and backing out of apps as it has become habit.

But 13 hours is still bad. Its definitely not 3 days. And I'm sure if I didn't charge it when I got home it would be dead when I woke up. But at least a marked improvement after about a week of daily charges (complete from empty to full).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kjmcintosh

After my test yesterday my phone got through the whole day. One thing I did notice was the Estimated time Remaining is a waste of time. It told me as soon as I took it off charge that I would get 13 hours!! That was with, 3g off, wifi off, all background apps off, med screen brightness, and auto clock update off. I did make it through the day with no problem.

I do suspect that the auto time switched off is key to saving the battery.

This morning with everything back on except the time. Things are looking better. I did my usual 25 mins of music and when I got to work the battery was reporting 99% at 9:10 after removing it from charge at 8am (when doing this before it would be around 70%) will see how it goes the rest of the day.

One thing I have to say is the nokia support is appalling. I have reported my problems, I am on my second phone and my last ticket they suggest the usual switch off everything BUT not the auto time update!!!!

Thank you to whoever on this forum suggested the time thing. Without that I would be carrying round a brick all day. Now don't get me wrong I still think the phone needs some work but I'm hopping that I can at least get through the day without reaching for a charger

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

iceytoa1 wrote:

@Teh0wner

Do you still have your box?
Can you tell me what information it has on it?
Did it come inside another box?

Mine is a Blue box a sticker, on the left of the sticker: Nokia 800, Barcode, IMEI Number, WLAN(?), Barcode, Material(?), Nokia 800, Barcode, IMEI, Barcode, Cust.Ref

Then on the right: H3G UK, MATT BLACK, Information on Radios inside, FCC ID, Barcode

Then inside the blue box is the actual Lumia 800 box, with the same information on a duplicate sticker.

What does yours have? If yours is similar maybe we can try and cross reference the information and maybe find out if they are from the same batch?

Note: This is a Lumia 800 on Contract with 3 (Not 3 branded though which intrigues me, though I am happy about it)

That;s exactly how my Lumia came. Phones4U Simfree however

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rallicat

[ Edited ]

My Lumia 800 seems to have moved up from unreliable battery to unpredictable battery.

Having changed my usage habits with it a little (backing out of apps rather than using the home button, and removing certain live tiles) my battery life over the weekend seemed much improved.

This morning however having barely even used the thing it's plunged from 100 at 7AM to 64% at 10:40.  I also noticed that the handset felt warm despite having been off the charger, and not used.

When accessing the battery status part of the Nokia diagnostics, the battery is always reported as 'Charged 65535%', and even when I do plug it in and Windows reports 100% charge, the diagnostics say it's charged to something like 1344mAh, despite the battery capacity being reported as 1516mAh.

Answers are needed!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lu1gj3s

Is it worth seeing which operator this happens with?

Mine's on 3 UK.

I'm assuming it's a bad batch here...

Anyone with battery problems please let us know your operator.

My replacement is coming tomorrow, but if it's a bad batch it'll just be the same thing...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

My battery life has improved from less than a day to over 2 days over the weekend. I did make a few minor changes but the one I think made all the difference is the wifi scanning. For those who have yet to try this setting, you can leave wifi on and just untick "Notify me when new networks are found". Wifi still works on all your known access wlans.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else can corroborate  my suspicion. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I see that the FIND MY PHONE feature is mentioned here as a possible battery drainer. And in fact it does say in the menu help text that it can affect the battery life.

Now, to my understanding it should be possible to turn off this feature by unchecking the boxes.

I can do that, but going out from the menu and look at the little text under the settings name - it still say connected. I can go inside the menu again and the boxes are still unchecked.

I thought this my be a language glitch and changed it, but still no joy. Boxes are unchecked but it still says connected. Rebooting does of course nothing to it.

I went to the windows page and sure it's on. I can locate my device with no problems.

Most of the days the battery life has been okey on mine Lumia, but two days ago it drained all the battery in 7-8 hours without doing nothing. NExt day it was just fine again living out the day for me.

Any one else who can uncheck the Find my phone boxes but really cannot turn it off?

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I have checked the settings on mine. It does says it is connected on the Settings page even thought both boxes are unticked. However, Windowsphone.com says "No phone found" so it obviously isn't connected.  Perhaps the location on Windowsphone.com is the last known location before you unticked the boxes. I never ticked mine hence not found.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

It might be cjlim! I will have to check that out:smileyhappy:

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

Thanks for bringing that up Fender. I also noticed that, assumed  connected bit just meant the phone was not in airplane mode. I think cjlim has a point.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
loopz

For people who commute via train - I am regularly seeing a 10% drop in battery, I use the web constantly for the 15 or so mins I'm on the train.  Does this sound normal?

Please use plain text.

I was also having battery issue, where I barely used the phone and it lasted from 7am and needed a charge at 6pm as it was down to about 3% left. And This is with having no background apps on and not running anything other than emails synced every hour and a few texts here and there.

On Thursday evening I changed the brightness from med to low. On Friday leaving all the other settings as before, no background apps etc, This improved my battery greatly. It didn't even go on to battery saver at 11pm.

Over the weekend I have played games with it, been surfing the net on wifi and searching the marketplace and it has lasted me the whole day without going to battery saver.

I don't know if This helps anybody with there's for a while until nokia can get a firmware update out. This is still unacceptable, for a smartphone that has to have everything switched off just to last a day is not right. I've been with Nokia since my first phone of a nokia 5800. I have had lots of nokia smart phones before and This is the worst battery life of any of them.

***Note to nokia please get This fixed ASAP***

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rallicat

Loopz:

"For people who commute via train - I am regularly seeing a 10% drop in battery, I use the web constantly for the 15 or so mins I'm on the train.  Does this sound normal?"

I too am also looking into whether travelling with my Lumia is contributing to poor battery life.  It's not consistent however - yesterday I made a two hour train journey, during which my mobile was used to a moderate level (listened to music, used it for Twitter and web browsing).

My mobile signal varied greatly during the journey, and yet it didn't take a battery 'plunge'.  If this is part of the problem then it could be that the phone needs a firmware update to address the way it holds onto certain mobile signals.  However I'm not convinced at this stage that the problem has one specific cause, rather a combination of factors that are contributing to high battery drain.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

I got mine from Phones4U.. even had a replacement, same issue..

On a sidenote, I've used 20 min Nokia Music going to uni, and 20 min back, drained about 25% of my battery. I've also noticed that if you got no signal and using Nokia Music, it keeps skipping tracks (even if you press pause) which could cause battery draining..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Interesting to note that the battery level has only dropped from 1308 to 1247mah in the last 8 hours. I have made a few short calls. Wifi is on but scanning is off. All sync on manual and I have only synced twice. Other than that brightness on low and network set to 2G only.  

Please use plain text.