Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

holyfetzer

New version:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

I've just updated as well. Plugged my phone into my computer and loaded Zune and was notified on an update straight away. My details are as follows:

OS version: 7.10.7740.16
Firmware revision number: 1600.2479.7740.11451
Hardware revision number: 112.1402.2.3
Radio software version: 1.6.00.24
Radio hardware version: 8255
Bootloader version: 7.35.0.0
Chip SOC version: 0.74.2.1
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lumpaywk

If you dont have the update straight away (I did so this is not tested) it could be worth trying to que jump the same way people did with the Mango update on older windows phone devices. The may have fixed this but worth a shot.

Plug the phone into your computer and start Zune

go to settings then update

wait about 2 seconds then dissconevt the internet

if it says there is and update plug the internet back in and update (happy days)

As i said this worked for other updates but i have not heard regards this one

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

Yep, update's out. I installed it this morning... guess I'll have to wait and see how my phone performs over the next couple of days. So far the estimated time left is still only 13 hours (1 hour after disconnecting it)... but I assume its a calculated estimated based on previous cycles. Will keep you all posted.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

lumpaywk wrote:

If you dont have the update straight away (I did so this is not tested) it could be worth trying to que jump the same way people did with the Mango update on older windows phone devices. The may have fixed this but worth a shot.

Plug the phone into your computer and start Zune

go to settings then update

wait about 2 seconds then dissconevt the internet

if it says there is and update plug the internet back in and update (happy days)

As i said this worked for other updates but i have not heard regards this one

Not working.. Tried to force update but not working :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmnl

Coming back to @jragar's question. Can it be related to the hardware version?

My Hardware Revision Number is: 112.1402.2.3

I've also seen mentions of revision 112.1402.2.4 (not in this thread AFAIK). 

Can anybody with good/bad experiences about their battery life let us know what their hardware revision is? You can find it in Settings => about => More info.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
snapworx

Well upgraded as soon as I got into work today, and now my phone is showing 67% after 5 hours from that point. Was not fully charged after completion of upgrade as I had driven into work first, this is something like one of the best points I got to before - so we shall see

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
snapworx

And to top it all only noticed at the end of the day that I had left Bluetooth on all afternoon, and Wifi on all day and phone still going strong at 47%.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

I'm not so lucky. Although, I've managed about 13 hours with about 6 of those listening to music, otherwise light use. I'm unsure whether that's good or not to be honest. My Zune lasted days without a charge. My Nexus One could stretch to two days at a push with no music playback. So I just don't know. But it's not the 55 hours of music playback that was advertised. And I'm still not very happy.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lumpaywk

Im in the same boat as brent, After the update and a ful charge i have been off power for 2 hours and i am at 77% though tbh i played geodeffence for about half an hour so not sure if its just that im expecting a lot as i assume games are battery hogs but lets say it should use 2% an hour on standby that means 30 mins of gameing took 19% of my battery :smileysad: I never had this on other wp7 devices so im going to assume mine is hardware. That and recently i have noticed the screen becomes unresposive. The phone keeps running but it wont register any touch untill i lock and unlock the screen. lets hope i get a replacment and that fixes the issue as i love htis phone so much.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

[ Edited ]

Day 1 of use after the update
Not noticing any change yet. Unplugged fully charged at 8am. Wifi on, 3g on, blutooth off, auto time off, account sync on, battery saver off with auto on when low. Only a few minutes of talk time. Maybe a dozen messages (sms and messenger), a couple of hours of music with headphones, a couple of minutes of web browsing and email checking.

Drainage was quite normal, and the battery diagnostics reported pretty much the same as it was before (250mA - 400mA), and it still didn't seem to fully charge (not that I think that last little bit is going to make a huge difference). By evening it was in battery saver. By midnight it was almost drained, so back on charge before going to bed or no phone today. That keeps it consistent with my previous battery life of about 16hrs or so.

Still no where near the 3 days a couple of users were preaching of... is it a myth? Can this phone really last for 3 days of active usage???

Please use plain text.
Advisor
neilpfister

I've also now completed a day of use after the upgrade, and I am currently charging my phone for the third time. 

I left the house at 6:30am this morning and plugged it in at work at 10am down to 67%. I did use it for an hour on the train reading Kindle e-books, and have sent a few texts, but that it is, and it shouldn't be affected this badly. Come on Nokia - you are really letting people down by promising updates that don't deliver.

Please use plain text.
Professor
megadodo

I'm not a heavy user of my Lumia but I certainly don't have issues with battery life. 3 days stand by is not hard to achieve. 2 hrs of sat naving without a charge lead and I still had 50% battery left form a full charge. Wi-fi browsing at home in for a couple hours ate half the battery. No worse than expected and on par with other smart phone I use. I have had the "long time to wake from falt battery" issue though. It took 40 minutes to start this morning from going flat in my cold car last night! It was updated this morning so I'll let you know if there is an increase in life or not!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stueyboy

I'm still getting anywhere between 3-5% per hour out of my phone depending on use and that is the same before and after the update. Can't say I'm that worried about the battery life as it lasts fine for a day. My previous smart phone was an HTC desire and I got so hung up about how long the battery was lasting. So much so that I installed all sorts of custom ROM's and ended up with a pretty basic one but the battery lasted 2 days easily with a lot of use. With the Lumia, I decided not to get stressed about it and use it as it was intended. There do seem to be some faulty phones about but I wouldn't say that they were in the majority given how many Nokia have supposedly sold since November. This is after all a pretty powerful computer which happens to make phone calls. If you use it as a phone the battery will last longer. If you start using it as a computer, don't expect it to last more than a day is the way I look at it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Albert43

I updated my phone last night and charged it during the night. By now I have 3G set on again after I found that I can use my phone for about 72 hours with 3G off.

I read many people use there Lumia different so compairing battery life is a bit difficult.

My Lumia is only used for smartphone related things so no gaming, music, ebooks and all that kind of stuff a phone is in my opinion not intensionaly designed for. What I use is email, calender, whatsapp, text messages and calling about 1 to 1.5 hour a day.

So my stats:

Before update 3G on Wifi on 15 hour before battery empty

Before update 3G off Wifi on 72 hour before battery empty

After update 3G on Wifi on 77% left after 5 hour

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

It's just that I am not really a heavy user. There is no way my phone would last 3 days if I left it on but didnt use it. It's just constantly discharging, even while not doing anything.

This is my biggest question for Nokia. Without actively using the phone, how long should I expect the battery to last? Let me have wifi on and emails syncing once an hour, this can't account for a constant drain (can it?).

Why am I still so concerned now that my battery lasts from 8am until 12am? Because
A) Sometimes I will be out late at night, and I don't want it to be fully depleted in my time of need
B) Others have reported that their phone battery lasts up to 3 days of active usage with all the features on that should be

Or could it be that the 'bad batch' was actually a rare 'exceptional batch', and my phone is just from the 'ordinary majority'?
Please use plain text.
Professor
megadodo

"How long should it last if I don't use it?", that is a hard question to answer with any accuracy. My "gut" feeling from all the posts is that there may be some rogue handsets about and yours may be one of them. 

Standby time (which is what you are referring to) is dependent on lots of settings that you are clearly aware of so lets ignore those. The major factor (for most users) for standby is distance from the base station and your signal strength indicator cannot be relied for an accurate measurement of this."Full service", i.e.. all the signal bars are active DOES NOT mean you have full service, just that you are above the minimum signal strength to give all the bars! It may be then that a handset showing full service may be "working" several times "harder" than another handset that is only a few hundred meters closer to the base station.

Its worth "kicking" your battery as well to ensure it has maximum capacity. Let it go completely flat and then recharge without turning it on for at least 12 hours. Then do that gain and you battery should be at max capacity. If that still doesn't improve your standby time then it may be faulty. The only way to check is comparison current consumption figures with a known good unit.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

I would suggest you download WP Benchmark and try out the battery benchmark and let us know how ours lasts for..

Mine lasted for 3hrs 15mins.. Am not sure if thats good or not, as no one that claims having a 'good battery life' has actually tried the benchamrk
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

Is that "WP Bench" app that you have to pay for or "WP CPU Benchmark". Those are the two marketplace apps I can find. I'll get the free one for now and give it a go when I have some downtime.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

WP Bench, yes.. You can use the trial it still works fine :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.