Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Registered Member
ramz_007

Hi there, a few days ago I got a cyan lumia and was well chuffed with it. Great looking etc. The battery as everyone knows is a bit naff. I've looked and mine only charges to 968mah. I have the 112.1402.2.4 hardware. Any news on when in January the update will come? And will it improve the battery on my cyan or should I take it bk and get a black one? Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Albert43

Oke, I will include two colums.

From now on include the values 'Full Charge' and Color to your test results. For users with results already in the list please PM me your additional information and the row number your results are on then I will add them.

To PM click on my name and use the 'Send this user a private message' link on the screen.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
N8FanBoy

Hey ramz_007....I have a cyan Lumia too and it charges to 970mAH. We're trying to figure out if that number actually means something in terms of actual battery life or is just a gimmick. As already posted earlier I've found black ones with similar readings at display in Nokia stores. So I guess hang on for a few days.
Also, how much battery life do you get with average usage? I can squeeze out 24 hours(with Wifi off, bluetooth off, 3G off, Location ON). I turn on 3G 3 to 4 times in the day whenever I have to browse.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
N8FanBoy

Thanks Albert43...cheers!!
Please use plain text.
jatinderseehra

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Just to add my lumia with heavy usage but with wifi off and 3G on plus email sync every hour I get a day plus a couple of hours before it dies, I actually had two days and four hours with one charge with very light usage, but I do tend to switch the phone off when I got to work on the underground as it constantly searches for signal which I find drains the battery.

Please use plain text.
voodoo_ray

I would not hold out for any vast improvements. I am an Orange customer, upgraded on the 16th November and returned the phone for a replacement on the 30th.

The second phone is no better and after the 7740 software update on the 9th December, the battery icon displays '?' and it continues to struggles to last a day.
Please use plain text.
stanC

Hi everyone,

I purchased my Lumia 800 on Dec 12th launch day for HK. Like many I also have battery issues with my phone and the firmware update did little to nothing to improve it. I synced my hotmail, gmail, exchange, and weather app. With this setup, I only get ~6 hours with 30-45 minutes of talking and 1 hour of web browsing.

ColourBlack

My firmware1600.2479.7740.11451

HW Revision #112.1402.2.4

Full Charge Capacity970mAH

I went to 4 different stores. Each Lumia 800 I tested was in black with both the old and new firmwares. However, the HW revision #s all ended with a 4.Unsurprisingly, they all had a capacity of 970-980mAH.

However, at the flagship Nokia store in Causeway Bay, there was a Nokia Black Lumia 800 on display with a revision that ended in 3, and it had a full charge capacity of 5100 mAH.

Based on my findings it seems like its true that HW revision # ending in 4 has battery life issues or either that the entire batch of Lumia 800s in Hong Kong is bad.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Albert43

[ Edited ]

Table updated with requested colums.

Please add the extra info when posting your results.

NameTest NOHoursMinutesTest NOHoursMinutesColorFull Charge CapacityRemaining Charge Capacity
teh0wner13152-----
Albert431262--Black15071490
Dragonheart76NL13412341Black1518-1291
jragar12442-----
lindemannm715311352-----
jannne13292-----
paul73uk13292-----
neilpfister12552-----
megadodo12362-----
VoodooKing12492-----
jragar1244233---
bugrahan13192-----
matthewleech13302-----
jannne13432-----
-1--2-----
-1--2-----
-1--2-----
-1--2-----
-1--2-----

.Test NOHoursMinutesTest NOHoursMinutes
average1362--

"Remaining Charge Capacity" is the value when charger is connected and "Current" showing 0 (zerro)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

Hey guys, finally got a chance to run the WP Bench test. Here are my results.

Test NO: 1
Hours: 2
Minutes: 43
Colour: Black
Full Charge Capacity: 1519 mAh
Remaining Charge Capacity: I'll get back to you on this :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
N8FanBoy

Hey stanC...I bought my cyan Lumia 800 on the 12th in HK as well. Well u proved my point that the Black ones are affected with the 970mAH capacity too.
However, i'm not sure if the ones with 1400mAH actually give a better battery life or not. Probably Albert43's table will help us figure that out.

In the meantime you can try the following setting that I use:
Wifi: Off
3G: Off
Data Connection: On
Bluetooth: Off
So, even with 3G off your emails wud sync over edge. You can turn on 3G whenever you wanna browse and switch it off when ur done.
I know its painful but does the trick for me. Gives me 24 hours battery with average number of calls, browsing, pics, music.
Please use plain text.
padma8376

I bought the phone in India on December 16, 11 and I am struggling with the terrible battery life. I hope there is a fix and a quick one.
Regards,
Padma
Please use plain text.
stanC

Hi N8FanBoy,

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it out. BTW there is an app called toggle and it allows you to turn many items within the settings page to tiles. The data connection is one of them.

Cheers,

StanC
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

Updated:

Remaining Charge Capacity: 1314

test 2 coming soon
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

[ Edited ]

Now 2 tests done...

Remaining Charge Capacity: 1314

Test NO: 2

Minutes: 44

Colour: Black Full

Charge Capacity: 1522 mAh

Remaining Charge Capacity: ??? needs another full charge

Please use plain text.
Advisor
N8FanBoy

Hey stanC...thx for the tip. I'm already using "WP Shortcut Tiles" app from the marketplace for this.
Yes you're right it comes very handy for switching 3G and other stuff ON/Off quickly.

Thanks again!!
Please use plain text.
alphonsohall

[ Edited ]

This from 18 minutes ago...........

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-acknowledges-Lumia-800-power-consumption-issues-in-statement_id...

Nokia has released a statement acknowledging that they are aware of the power consumption issues plaguing early Lumia 800 handsets and are working towards fixing the problem in the near future.

According to Nokia, customers have reported that the devices pre-loaded diagnostics tool on some Lumia 800 handsets shows a lower battery capacity than expected. Upon those reports, Nokia began investigating the issues immediately and determined that the battery itself is fine. They came to the conclusion that it is in fact a software problem that can be solved easily and that their other Windows Phone handset, the Lumia 710, isn’t
experiencing any of the same issues.

A software fix is expected to arrive in early 2012. However, for those who don’t want to wait for a fix to come via a software update, Nokia can arrange to give you a replacement phone. If you currently own a Lumia 800 then there is a way to determine if your device is suffering from this issue. To check and see if your handset is one of the affected ones, first dial ##634# then accept the disclaimer. After that, select battery status from the list of options. That will then show you the batteries capacity. If the full charge capacity is anything less than 1000mAh, then it is affected by this problem.

New production models of the Lumia 800 are shipping problem-free according to Nokia. However, in the event that any of these issues arise on one of the newer production models then they recommend you contact their customer care for additional support.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

Awesome that they have announced that... but unfortuantly for me many other users here that means nothing as we have a fuller charge and our battery lives are all quite short when compared with similar devices on the market... and it sounds like Nokia doesn't consider our issue an issue... :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mayer37

[ Edited ]

Exactly. Despite the fact that my full charge capacity is around 1500 mAH, the charged amount never exceeds 65553%, and this is the same for many others. Does anyone knows if this is a known issue and that Nokia is aware of that???

Please use plain text.
holyfetzer

[ Edited ]

I have a Lumia as my brother has one too.

But we have quite different battery life results.

So I have Lumia with Simyo (EPLUS carrier)

He has Lumia with TMob Germany

When I activate 3G the network indicator shows "H" (HSDPA according to Windows Phone manual)

I get a consumption of about 170 mA according to Diagnostics Tools!

When he activateds 3G the network indicator shows "3G" (no "H")

He has a consumption of about 300 -500 mA according to Diagnostics Tools!

When we deactivate 3G we both get around 150 mA

When I exchange the sim card with my brother I get high drainage (with "3G") and he goes down below 200 mA (with "H").

So I think this is definitely 3G AND provider related.

So where is the reason? One could be that TMob uses an more expensive HSDPA mode up to 14, 4 Mbit/s  (profile 10) while EPLUS only supports up to 3,6 Mbit/s.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iceytoa1

Hi, just thought i'd post an update.

I received my replacement phone, from a different batch as I requested specifically, yesterday.
Off of it's 50% charge it lasted 6 hours of heavy use, setting up, emails, 3G, downloading several applications, playing Fruit Ninja, texting, calling, FaceBook, Twitter, internet browsing and Wi-Fi.

6 hours is what original Lumia 800 managed with average use.

Today I charged it from dead too 100% and started using it it moderately to heavily, it lasted 15 hours.

My original Lumia 800 managed 16 in flight mode.

So yes, i'd say it's a batch issue.

Go to your provider or original place of purchase and request a replacement Lumia 800 from a different batch on the grounds that it is not suitable for purchase.

Please use plain text.