Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Contributor
Mizmo

[ Edited ]

I have the update now for 10 days and diagnostics app always shows me 14xx mAh, so I think that should be okay. but i have problems with 3G mode too.

I have 5/5 edge and 3G/H coverage, but on edge i have 0.85%/h battery drain and with activated 3G it is 6-8% on standby which is way too much.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Mizmo,

There is a known problem with 3G, IMO it has to do with a bug that erroneously considers signal to be zero when full (or at random points). I also had huge drain on wifi, sometimes in the 500 mA range, making battery last 2-3 hours. Almost always when signal was full. There is no solution at the moment, save for setting it to 3G off (or maximum speed: E in newer firmwares).

Speed is bad, but you can switch to 3G when needed and then switch back. No word on a fix, yet, but thankfully aside from this there are no major drains, with most reporting that they get in the 20 hour plus range, meaning a full day. I didin't expect more, as my E7 gets about 2 days in a 680 MHz CPU. In fact, almost all specs are halved and barely makes the 2-day mark. L800 is twice as fast and 42 times more interesting to fiddle with.

So yes, there is an issue with 3G. Keep it off. Problem is worse if you are on the move and phone needs (or wants) to switch 3G-2G continuously, such as driving. Set it to off.

And remember, save from major drains first: Screen (keep as low as possible, dark theme), CPU load (play games that don't heat the phone), time not locked (lower lock timeout, lock phone when taking breaks), 3G (bot normally and bugged), high encryption WiFi (the CPU needed for encryption is more expensive than the actual radio in most phones). Also, on OLED screens white drains way, way more than black. As a result, one of the worst things to do to it is web browsing, with mapping and online video close behind.

And finally, don't believe the hype. Tests on batteries show that lower cycle depth is better in charge cycles. You get about 1000 full cyles, and about 2500-3000 cycles when charged at 50%. Less than 10% cycles almost don't count. And finally, more damage is done to the battery by age and heat than your average charging so don't skimp on charge if you have the opportunity. I think you'd rather have 2 years battery and charge as needed than 2.5 years and be left black mid-call.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

[ Edited ]

IMNdi wrote:

Mizmo,

There is a known(...)

All that is in some way helpful, but since the phone should be the one serving me, maybe we should focus on finding solution. Besides, I need 3G and I need WiFi turned on all the time (at work and home), so if the phone cannot provide at least 1 full day, I'm switching back to N8. I'm not going to change settings every time I want to take a dump. It seems IMNdi, that you like to be your phones' b*tch :smileywink:

Q:

1) Is it possible to roll back latest update - for me battery life was better before. Anyone has a clue?

2) Is anyone from Nokia reading this? Is this NEW battery problem acknowledged? What causes it? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

You really need to take it easy. I wasn't trying to insult you. Have you seen the wink at the end?

IMNdi said: "Us b*tches are busy".

With what? With changing settings on and on, so your battery doesn't go flat too fast?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

I've been silent for a long while now. If you've followed the history, bought my phone back when it was released. So early on I switched to 2G and the phone now was lasting a full day. The new update recently came out, so I eagerly ran the update, and everything seemed well for a couple of days.

So I tried turning 3G back on as my data speeds have been annoyingly slow on E. I just looked at my phone now and after only 5 Hours its already in battery saver mode with expected only 2 hours left...

How pathetic

So I'm back on E and slow data speeds that I had to put up with 5 years ago.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Arkiliknam wrote:
I just looked at my phone now and after only 5 Hours its already in battery saver mode with expected only 2 hours left...

How pathetic

So I'm back on E and slow data speeds that I had to put up with 5 years ago.

Hmm. Mine isn't that bad.

Charged it last night full, went to bed. Set phone by my side, in 3G, to see drain. Morning come, I had 8 hours since last charge, 71% left.

I admit it's bad, considering that on 2G it's in the 90s, but 8 hours < 30% means that with light use (meaning calls, SMS) it could get me a day. Which is more than my N900 used to give me.

I am a special case, though. I have wifi at home, wifi at work, and my 2G does nothing but keep me linked to chats and the like when I'm on the road. My phone is locked on the road, I drive. What little need I have of its mobility I can jump on 3G for 5 minutes, for some emergency GPS and the such. In fact, my monthly data is always under 50 Mb.

My total charge is 1447 mAh, and slowly losing ground. Used to be 1480+ after update, Jan 27. So, day 8, <50 mAh loss. Overnight charge, daily. So, in about a month I'm going to see dimished battery life compared to previous firmware. And I'm NOT doing a hard reset - I want my SMSs.

Lumia 800 Black, unlocked, but has a TIM logo when fired up. I think it was imported from Italy.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

I'm also suffering from battery related issues, however i think my problem is a little different. Basically, i'll throw the phone on charge and leave it overnight, only to pick the phone up in the morning to find it on 90%.

Kind of assumed it would have had the time to fully charge. Is the device not fully charging or it is charging fully and then draining whilst still on the mains?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Nokia states phone will not charge fully if adapter doesn't supply one amp current - your adapter may be inadequate or defective.

It is also possible you have a high drain. Majority of Nokia phones have a cutoff at 80 or 90 percent so battery doesn't trickle charge. Still, while connected it should not drop that much.

Can't tell what your issue is, but try a better charger, vast majority of chargers don't put out a sustained, clean amp. I've seen chargers limited to 450 mA, USB style.

A damaged cable also could do this. If pins 2 and 3 are not shorted, phone must assume USB charger and limit charge. N900, e.g., will refuse to charge if pins not shorted. I had to take a soldering iron to the car charger and portable backup.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

Thanks for the information. Glad to know its probably not my device thats messed up. Just a quick question though. I'm using the charger that i got with the Lumia 800. Do Nokia limit their own chargers or do you think it's just a case of Nokia's Anti-Trickle thing kicking into play?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

SInce the last update my battery life has also suffered. It has always been poor, but now I can barely manage 9 hours if I actually use the phone for anything.

I don't spend hours listening to music, browsing or whatever, just a few emails per hour and the occasional phone call.

My battery capacity, which used to be over 1500 mAh is now showing as 1346 mAh.

While I appreciate the advice people have been giving on this thread, I do not accept that in order to get a half-decent battery life I have to turn all the features off! What is the point of having a phone with those features if owning it is an exercise in conserving power.

This is my first Nokia smartphone, and also my first Windows phone. Which element is causing the problems is not my concern, but I will be thinking very hard about ever buying either again.

I hope that the battery issues are laid to rest, but I fear and suspect that the product is fatally flawed. Such a shame.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

danielpholt:

Nokia has no limitations on the charger they shipped with L800. Could still be cable or connector. Trickle charging protection shouldn't do that. Ahen you find it in the morning, does it still say 90% (charging)? Does it still have the plug icon over the battery? If so, then you should try a different charger at least once or twice and if that doesn't help, take it back. The diagnostic app should let you know if the phone is still pumping power in the battery but it refuses (bad battery/charge circuit) or if it simply got full but percentage is confused. If so, try a factory reset.

--

Apparenly good news, everyone. People have been weeping to Nokia about battery, but Nokia said the battery is fixed and matter is closed (no further updates will addres this). They go on to say that if you still get poor battery life, RMA/Service.

Also, they say that the latest update could get confused by what I assume is old data. They say hard reset (to factory). Aka, wipe. Gone. Fully. Apparenly, people have had a high rate of success with factory resets, that could be it. And if you still get very poor battery, RMA. Apparently every now and then China makes a poor batery.

Battery is supposed to lose charge capacity over time and it's not linear. Anything over 1000 is deemed normal by Nokia (apparently the diagnostic app was not for mortals and should be taken with grain of salt). Anything under, RMA.

I'm still good with 1300+, if it goes below I'll put it back in Nokia's lap, as asked. If not, I'll pay for a new battery - how much could that be? Apparently newer phones are better at this, even though Nokia has stated repeatedly this isn't a hardware issue.

So, get to resetting and if you can report back. Remember that some stuff is lost. What Zune doesn't take it's gone (minus contacts and calendar). So write down accounts, list of apps, etc.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
KiwiVda

No no no , there's something wrong in Nokia Lumia Phones, me too getting the battery max ch. cap. 1351.
A weeks ago after updating it was 1450 now in 100mAh less...

This phone is starting to became useless. Really the worse pick i coul'd do! And I say it withtears 'cause is really beautiful...but ...too many but...
Please use plain text.
yamacyan56

update information has not yet reached. my battery status after checking by dialing ##634#,

full charge capacity 1369 mAh, remaing Charge Capacity 1369 mAh even charged 100%.

As the results, battery can not support for full day.

I must keep the USB connection to my PC in the office.

It is truely pitty.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

[ Edited ]

in the first two days after i got my lumia, i had 1456mAh at 100%. Now my phone shows 1348mAh and it decreases every time i charge my phone .... please nokia fix that! i cant use my phone longer than 6 or 7 hour with moderate use. not even a single day -_-

btw. i have alreday the 11501 firmware. my lumia was shipped with the newest firmware ...

i can use my 2 other windows phones with exactly the same use 15-17 hours. lumia 7-13 hours max (lg optimus and omnia 7)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

Phone was 100% Charged when i left for work last night. I switched it onto airplane mode, for the night. I used it a little on my lunch break, but it was on Airplane mode for a good 8-9 hours before i got home. In the 9 hours i was out, it managed to go from 100% to a meagre 52%. Clearly something is wrong.

I'll try wiping the phone but if that doesn't work i don't know what i'll do.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

Thanks for the info IMNdi.

Im pretty sure its 3g related as well.

i know this has been discussed quite a lot but here are my findings:

1. Battery life on with everything on (3g included) is quite bad. Did about 10 email checks, 20 whatsapp messages, over 2-3 hrs, and battery drop from 98 to 64%!.

---3g ON:
When checking current discharge (via ##634# --> Battery Status), i noticed that with 3g ON, when i load my Whatsapp, current discharge can shoot up to 500-700ma (from baseline of abt 140-240ma).

---3g OFF (ie. E mode only)
When i test the same thing, I notice my current discharge at MAX shoot up to 270-350 (from baseline of 140-240ma).

Note: Basically what i do is keep the ##634# running as background app, then switch on whatsapp, and the moment i load a chat, i will toggle back (whatsapp keeps running as background app) to the ##634# screen to look at the current discharge rate.

In case you don't know how to get the current app to run as background app, just press the HOME key instead of the back key. Then to toggle between background apps that are running, press and HOLD the back key to see those that are in the background.

I am thinking that MAYBE this is sim card / telco related.... because some people have 3g on, and dont seem to face this high current discharge problem. I will try this same experiment with 2 other telco simcards and see if results are the same.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

jpow wrote:

Thanks for the info IMNdi.

[...]

I am thinking that MAYBE this is sim card / telco related.... because some people have 3g on, and dont seem to face this high current discharge problem. I will try this same experiment with 2 other telco simcards and see if results are the same.

I have a brand new SIM in it, since it required a mini. Also, lots of people with similar issues, and with various SIMs (me, Vodafone RO). Don't think it's a SIM issue. It is definitely a 3G issue, mine is randomly draining in the 500 mA with 3G on.

I wrote this before, but my point is my phone goes from full 5 bars on 3G to zero for no reason, standing still, next to other people that have 3G on with no issues. I think it's a problem with level detection, maybe a range check issue and phone is screaming out because it thinks it's at the edge of coverage.

I do say, however, that even though I have the decaying battery bug (well, symptom) and the 3G bug (definite bug), I am nowhere near the level of problems some people have. For example, I charge evenings, then take the phone near bed. 8 hours after (wifi, ring, vibrate, etc all on. BT off) it's at 95 or so. Then I leave for work, then it goes though use. SMS, calls, internet (approx 2-3 hours), VNC, games (I call that work some days). After another 8 hours, battery is low but it's still kicking. At night, it usually enters power save. Depending on how aggressive I was, it will either demand to be charged or just quietly run the clock to 24 hours.

Ever since I got this phone, which is 2 months or so, I have never ran out so phone shuts itself off. And while I did charge during the day, it's ONLY when I did intense gaming. By intense, I mean phone is hot intense. For example, I used the camera to film for an hour and a half and still made it through the day, calls and all, no charger.

Battery says 1441 mA and it is NOT going soft every cycle (can anyone confirm that it's dropping on charge, rather than over day?). Yesterday it had 1441. Note, however, that charge is supposed to go down. Assuming it's not linear, it could well be normal wear. Though I agree with Nokia, if it's severe enough to go below 80%, you should RMA it. (80% is 1160 mA, approx).

Most manufacturers regard 80% capacity as normal. User panic is exactly why nobody reports the decay. Older phones that were a lot easier on the battery (nothing to do, 2G only, 1 inch screen, no touch) and which had batteries way, way more resilient (being half the capacity) had a 2.5 year timeline for 60% capacity. Back then, bars on battery were voltage driven and lied through their teeth until 20% or so. It's possible that newer ones have as little as 1.5 or 2, and what with multiple charges during the day that could easily translate in 1350 mA (93%) in a couple of months if charged repeatedly. Also remember, heat kills it faster than bullets, so high use plus high charge rate is heat death.

As for poor battery performance in spite of good capacity, my best guess is ill-behaved apps. I know the manual says the apps are suspended, but I have read the docs and added my personal experience and found out that

a) apps can have scheduled events and agents in spite of not running (check the settings > applications > advanced)

b) some apps maintain a presence if they have live tiles to update.

A single silly, silly app with a bug that checks for updates way faster, or longer, of from a site that's dead or not set up could drain.

I noticed my list was getting longer and realised some shoddier apps out there had features like in-app live tile pinning, checking for updates periodically, etc. As a result, I got measurably better battery by uninstall. I kid you not, generic "one math operation" converter apps, body mass index, and the like had daemons (scheduled agents) and live tiles. Most likely by being modified demo apps.

Fire up Diagnostics and keep looking at it. Mine hovers at 140 mA, with light to low, wifi connected, 2G. That translates to 10 hours autonomy with screen running and wifi. Some folks up there get less than that in airplane mode. Something is definitely wrong. Hard reset the device to clear the bad apps and try the diagnostics. If you don't get high autonomy (low consumption), it's broken and RMA it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

After doing the Hard Reset yesterday, i can report that my phone survived the night in a much better state. I did the exact same as yesterday, only this time. Instead of it being on 52% when i got in, it was on 92%.

3G is clearly an issue at this point. I've been checking the discharging numbers and it sky rockets. The difference for me is almost 3x.

I'm assuming Nokia can fix that at their end?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
proc

[ Edited ]

maybe nokia has a problem with "fast dormancy":

the problem with enabled  "fast dormancy" on your phone is the following:

If your provider supports it you will get better battery-life with 3G.

If your provider does not support it your battery will go down very very fast...

look here:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/apple-nokia-use-fast-dormancy-to-boost

maybe that´s why some users get long battery life and others doesn´t...

Android (Samsung) has this problem - and i think Nokia will have it too!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1111581

"Recently I disabled fast dormancy using one of the dialer codes and my battery life increased greatly. I turned it back on an hour ago and battery life was poor comparitively."

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

If that were the case, shouldn't we see grouping? Say, a whole bunch of Vodafone RO customers? People with 3G issues are everywhere with no discernable pattern (that I see). There are -what- millions of L800s out there - one would think that if a carrier did this we'd see a wave.

Also, since other phones with WP don't have this issue (though I didn't check other forums, but some people here claim no such issue on 2 other phone) it's likely related to Lumia 800 and its drivers. Maybe Nokia fails to put the radio to sleep?

My main concern is that Nokia didn't seem to acknowledge this, and it's a widespread problem - most everyone here agrees turning on 3G nukes the battery - and all with good 3G signal.

Also, is there a data counter on this phone? I wonder if the 3G draining also does traffic (software issue) or if the radio just jams open (hardware/driver).

Please use plain text.