Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

boobele

[ Edited ]

Aslan93 wrote:

anyway now its been a couple of weeks and my lumia shows 1100 mah as max capacity and only charges to about 1060..

+1 same here, after 3 weeks of use capacity shows only 1098 mAh, at the beginning it was on 1478 mAh(!)

I got my phone with the latest updates already installed at buying! Even with a little bit newer version:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

The diagnostic tool does not seem to be working on my handset.

Flight mode on or off. Battery Saver on or off, location on or off makes no difference, it still shows discharge rate of around 170mA.

Battery life yesterday was 7 hours! I hope that replacement comes soon.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

I've decided enough is enough. Contacted Nokia and i'm waiting for a phone call. Hopefully they'll swap it out at the door like 02 used to do with my iPhone. Still, even if its sent of it'll be something.

If its still not working correctly, i'll be moving on.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

Ok interesting finding.

Have had the phone 4 days.

Day 1 (started off fresh hardreset, installed whatsapp, added Facebook + 2 gmail + 1 exchange email account)

- 3G is ON: 

--- discharge is about 450-600mA when activating WHATSAPP (wifi ON)

--- discharge stabilises at 200-240mA when IDLE (ie. no apps open, just the diagnostic)

- 3G is OFF:

--- discharge is about 300-350 when activating WHATSAPP (wifi ON)

--- discharge stabilises at 200-240mA when IDLE (ie. no apps open, just the diagnostic)

End of Day 1: **bleep** off with batt life, decided to hard reset.

Day 2 (after hard reset, only installed OFFICE Exchange account. NO FACEBOOK NO GMAIL.)

- 3G is ON: 

---SAME AS DAY 1

- 3G is OFF:

---SAME AS DAY 1

- Tried DIFFERENT SIM CARD from DIFFERENT PROVIDER

- Similar battery drain.

End of Day 2: Still **bleep** off.

Day 3

-Had to travel for work. Decided to bring phone with me.

-Kept 3g OFF entire day, unless needed to access email (maybe 3-4 times the whole day).

-Flight mode 2x2hrs

-Didnt use the phone much, because 2g network too slow to do anything major.

-Battery life great. Took it off charger abt 6am, at 6am next day (day 4), till 25% left.

Day 4 (Today)

-Was in the 20s% in the morning (no charge since taking off plug at Day 3 6am)

-Switched 3g back on around 10am, battery was dead within 2 hours. Drain similar to Day 1.

-Still disillusioned with battery life.

- Once dead, plugged it into my Blackberry charger, charged up to 100% within 2 + hours.

- Once fully charged around 5-6pm), took it iff charger. 3g still on, no power saving, no wifi.

-Did the usual 3g ON / 3g off check:

- 3G is ON: 

--- discharge is about 300-400mA when activating WHATSAPP (with wifi ON)

--- discharge stabilises at 130-150mA when IDLE (ie. no apps open, just the diagnostic)

- 3G is OFF:

--- discharge is about 250-300 when activating WHATSAPP (with wifi ON)

--- discharge stabilises at 130-150mA when IDLE (ie. no apps open, just the diagnostic)

Now its been on for about 6 - 7 hours (since last charge), and still 84%, despite being on 3g, and occasional whatsapp, email checks, a couple of google searches..

I have NO idea what is causing this difference. Why is current drain suddenly much lower?

---Could it be purely signal dependent?

---Blackberry charger have an effect on battery?

---Some sort of  indexing running that takes a long time (after hard reset)?

---Battery needs to be fully drained once? (i dont see how this will affect current discharge when on 3g vs non 3g though)

---Purely psychological???

I'll report back after day 4 and 5  to see if battery life improves further.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hpgurufi

Hello! Resolved the problem. The phone does not charge to 100% even if so indicated. Charge it for at least an hour longer. I have now better battery life.
Nokia Lumia 800 with Unlimited 0.5M 3G connection. At home ZTE MF668 with Unlimited 15M 3G connection.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Aslan93

Yes of course :smileyhappy: however after it shows 100% percent it charges very slowly and doesn't charge much(about 20mah) however I always leave it to charge fully and I would recommend everyone do that although not sure how much longer the battery would last as a result.. Anyway thanks for mentioning it!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

---Could it be purely signal dependent?
It _is_ signal dependent as per specs. Consumption of the radio can increase tenfold (from memory, don't quote me) between full signal and barely-there. Purely? No. There's definitely a bug there. I had 5 phones on 3G in the same house and none had huge drains.

---Blackberry charger have an effect on battery?

Definitely no. Poor chargers charge poorly and if BB charger did worse, it would be OK. But Nokia's own is good. Tried my old charger (N900) which was for a phone that was VERY picky in both current and power quality. Exact same results, to the milliamp.

---Some sort of  indexing running that takes a long time (after hard reset)?

Definitely. After hard reset, you sync contacts, mail, all social stuff, etc. How long it takes is a good question, but since phone is not sluggish at all I'm going to guess it uses low CPU and storage resources, so, anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours depending on what you have there.

---Battery needs to be fully drained once? (i dont see how this will affect current discharge when on 3g vs non 3g though)

Batteries with smart chips (all known worth-their-salt Li-Ion/Poly) have software that runs inside, powered by battery, that manage undercharge (that's why it's so abrupt. Either phone shuts down or chip cuts the wire to prevent low voltage), overcharge, trickle charge (none!), temperature, max drain and max charge rate, and (for newer batteries) capacity. Some batteries have this inside, other devices manage this themselves (coulombmeter I believe in device). If capacity weren't tracked, you'd always want to charge a battery that's 1450 mA to 100%, but poor sob has 1300 left - that's overcharge of Lithium and a dead battery within the week. So they all track capacity somehow.

The capacity is relative, thus, prone to errors. It resets on full discharge (sets capacity to zero) and thus, on first full charge, sets it to 100%. By definition, the only time you know exactly what capacity you have left is after a full discharge and a full charge. Everything else is an additive estimate and the longer you go without full cycle the worse it gets.

Some are pretty good at this, some are poor. Throw in a bug and it's all done.

And no, there should be no reason for variances in 3G consumption in theory. BUT. Phone isn't really off when it's off - powering it after a hard power off is different in length and design from soft power off. Can't surely tell why, but I can tell the difference between hard boot (after flash, when battery is dead) versus power off/on by button.

As a result, it's possible running the battery FLAT could reset the board, 3G modem included. Though holding power 8 seconds should do the same, in theory. You could try that.

---Purely psychological???

'Tis also that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Interesting thoughts.

Power consumption on mine runs riot every now and then. Holding the power button for 8 second reboot always resolves the problem until the next time it occurs. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hpgurufi

[ Edited ]

And my tip worked for me.

One hour now after charging, I take 3 pictures, download one via internet to Hotmail, check some settings in this time and now my battery 100% -> 98 %. This is very good now. I use energy-saving mode. Still have estimated time: 13 hours.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Unlimited 0.5M 3G connection. At home ZTE MF668 with Unlimited 15M 3G connection.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

I'm getting a little annoyed at having a phone that only works for 9 hours. That's barely enough to cover the period I'm at work.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

Another interesting development. Last night i let my phone run all the way down to shut-off. Then i charged it constantly until it was full. After taking it off charge, i put it into flight mode and went to bed. 8 hours later i've woken up, checked the phone and its still on 100%.

Now i don't think its actually maintained 100% of its charged (must be a calc error), its certainly better than the 79% i usually get when i put it on flight and leave it for a few hours.

It seems to me that when you charge it from flat to 100%, you'll get significantly more battery life. What's that mean?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RajC

I'm with Orange (UK) and previously had a issues with battery longevity, but at least i was getting indicated battery life of at least 1 day + 2-3 hours....

I've recently upgraded to 1600.2483.8106.11500 (OS still at 7.10.7740.16) and now i've never seen battery life indicated at over 19 hours!!! Sometimes it shows just 16 hours at full charge.

The diagnostics now show that it charges to a higher capacity, but the high capacity value has dropped to about 1300mAh from the previous 1440mAh!!!

This is a backward step....

As i'm with Orange, i haven't yet had the OS update for this yet.....does anyone expect any improvement when this is done....i'm just thinking that the OS and firmware updates may have to be at the same level to see improvements.

Raj:smileysad:

Lumia 800
Orange UK
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

[ Edited ]

Small update to my previous post. It seems that without 3G with only WiFi on, my Lumia 800 can do 1 day and (+/-) 10 hrs.

There is definitely something wrong with the stats, cause every time after charging my total battery capacity drops and is increasing with time. Right after charging it was around 1230 mAh and the more power is used the higher it goes. Now I have 87% of battery left and the battery capacity changed to 1275 mAh and it will end up somewhere around 1375 mAh. It looks like the phone doesn't know how big the battery is... Sort of.

Anyway it's annoying that I cannot use the whole battery - assuming that one can trust what battery saver and diagnostics battery tool are showing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Henke46

I am beginning to dislike Nokia Lumia 800 and the poor battery, Works as a fixed phone when connected to powerchareg all the time. I am warning my friends on Facebook for bad Lumia 800
Please use plain text.
PhilippWiesler

I can confirm the problems with enabled data connection on 3G.

With it enabled i usually don't get through the day with my modest to heavy usage, but with it disabled and Wifi on, I get over 2 days of moderate usage (read: more than 48 hours).

And last weekend, with phone on Edge (2G) only, Data connection disabled, Wifi disabled I got 4days (from thursday morning through monday evening) with very little use (3 short calls and 5 sms, no email)

Problem with 3G data connection is, that the drainage is better after a hard reset (ca. 150mA with it enabled) but gets worse after 1-2 cycles (280mA, enabled, screen minimum nothing else).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

i finalyl caved in a bought a omnia W (aka focus flash). 

Thus far, battery life indeed seems superior and it battery drain is more consistent whether or not i use 3g or not etc.

Experience wise, ALMOST the same, but i find that Lumia 800 is a little bit more responsive (ie. the microsecond lag that your touch registers is shorter for Lumia 800 than omnia w).

Lumia 800 also wins hands down in terms of looks / feel.

I am about to do a proper comparison (both phones, same settings, 100% at 8am) on how much better / worse the Lumia 800 is compared to omnia w.

I hope I don't end up selling the lumia 800....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

@RajC I'm also on Orange (UK). I take my phone off charge at 8:00am and the phone turns off by 6:00pm the same day. This is unacceptable for a phone. I refuse to hobble the functionality of the phone to get an acceptable experiance when no other manufacturer is having this problem with the same software and comparable hardware. This is Nokia's problem and they must fix it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

Ok update on Omnia W vs Lumia 800.

Took both phones off charger at 8.30am (both at 100%). Didnt touch phones at all until 12.30pm.
Result:
Lumia 800: 79%
Omnia W: 96%.

Both have exact same software, 3 email accounts synced (2 gmail, 1 MS Exchange), battery saver off, wifi off, 3g ON, nothing running in background, no background tasks, same apps (only WhatsApp).

Thats not very good!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

Forgot to mention that Sync timings for email accounts are all the same as well (30 minutes check). All items to be synced are also the same between two phones (ie. email only for 2 accounts, and email + contacts for 1 account).

The ONLY difference is I am using SIM cards from different providers.

I will repeat this test tomorrow but SWOPPING the sim cards.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

Quick update to above:

Checked again at 6.30pm
Lumia 800: 44%
Omnia W: 90%.

Please use plain text.