Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Contributor
TanelLass

[ Edited ]

Did a hard reset a few days ago to address battery problem. This is how it went with only 2g internet on at all times:

Day 0: Terrible battery life. 8 Hours or so. Drain in mid 300 mA
Day 1: Did hard reset and at 100% estimated battery life was at 1 day and 18 hours. Drain is at 160 mA while idling

Day 2: Charged second time and 100% estimated battery life at 1 day and 8 hours. Drain at 200 mA while idling
Day 3: By the end of the second charging cycle, drain while idling had reached about 220 mA. Did a soft reset by holding the power button and drain was reduced to about 180 mA while idling.

Day 4: In the morning, the phone stated 18 hours as its working time. Drain was still 180 mA, but when I switched on 3G it went DOWN to 140 mA. I double checked this and it seems to drain far less with 3G than 2G in my area.  it's been more than 2 hours since I took it off the charger and its states 88% remaining right now, with 16 hours to go. During the past two hours, I used wifi for half an hour, did web browsing and have been whatsapping quite a bit. Had 3G on except when using wifi. Overall, I think it is pretty respectable again so far.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pollis559

UPDATE.

The Battery Saver 'life remaining' is still all over the place and getting worse.

I thought I could live with it as battery life was well over a day. However, today the phone died in 12 hours. I had installed no additional software or change any settings. The only difference was today I synced the phone via my PC USB at 75% charge. As Li-ion batteries like to be constantly charging this should not have caused an issue. I am thinking this messed with the battery management software even more. So RTM time to see a they can fix it.

From the posts above. Despite what Nokia say I think we still have a Battery Saver page / battery management software bug.

As an aside I am finding it very hard to get a second CA-185CD cable to charge the phone here in the UK.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

After taking my phone off charge at 08:00, it's now 19:10 and my phone is at 68% with light use and 3G off. Usually my phone would have shut itself off. Again, this is unacceptable.
Please use plain text.
Professor

cbhattarai wrote:

You must check out the all the apps that you have opened. If your app is opened it is obvious that your phone will run out of batttery..

No...there is nothing obvious there at all....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Aslan93

@ jpow

nice test! could you also do one where you have both phones WITHOUT SIM cards and in flight mode? Just to see if the cause of battery drain for lumia is some process stuck in a loop (which was the case with my other phones in the past) also if you got time do a test after rebooting both (which should solve the process issue) or resetting.

This is all because i think the cause for lumia's battery drain is some process that is always up eating up CPU and therefore draining the battery. This was a huge problem when i got my iPhone 4s and quite a problem with my N9. Both phones work great now in terms of battery after i figured out how to end the misbehaving processes.

It could be anything: on the 4S it was calendar and contacts sync and on the N9 it was the the actual theme of the launcher. It was also resolved differently, 4S-reflashed the phone SEVERAL times, N9-simply added a shortcut from browser to the home screen and deleted it right away!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

so i recently tested flight mode .... i have a 2% battery drain in 1 hour! my omnia 7 uses 1% in 6 hours with flight mode ... the lumia 800 is totaly screwed up. Because there are more people who have this issue, i don't wanna send my phone to nokia care. i wait for a firmware fix ... but it's annoying
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spac3Rat

Just adding my experience about this issue. Seems to be very similar to most of the folks here, though.

Day 1: I bought the phone and let it discharge completelly after doing updates, etc.. Not sure about how long it was before it turned off. It's not important, though, since it wasn't a full-battery run.

Day 2: Charged to 1270mAh during the night. Had 1day 3 hours left. Turned 3G on and it went up to 1 day 7 hours left (I'm not the first person who had noticed this). I struggled a lot during the day, turning things on and off. I decided to let both 3G and Wireless off. No email sync (I'm always online on my computer). Nothing else working on the background. At 9PM I had about 8 hours of battery left and decided to trash it so that I could put it to charge during the night. Took me less than 30 minutes to do so by simply browsing a bit and installing/uninstalling 3 or 4 apps. During the day I had talked on the phone for 30 minutes max. Nothing else. Checkd the consuption during the day. Was about 150ish mAh.

Day 3: Charge to 1290mAh during the night. 1 day, 16 hours left (which is odd with only 20mAh more than the day before). At 10PM I had 5 hours left of battery. Trashed it in 40 minutes (weird timing compared to the previous day). Consuption kept close to the 150ish as before.

Day 4 (today): Charged to 1299mAh. 1 day 16 hours left. I haven't used the phone whatsoever except to check for the battery status. 3 hours since I took the phone off the charger and I'm down to 67% of battery and 1 day 2 hours left. Consumption is between 380 and 540mAh.

Just rebooted the phone and waited a couple of minutes. Power concuption dropped to 150ish mAh. Seems like Windows will always be Windows...

I don't have any email syncs on, nothing running on the background. Nothing except 3G is turned on (I have also turned the date/time automatic setting off).

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

" While it's been confirmed by Nokia already, the team over at WeLoveWP.hk have run some tests on charging the Lumia Windows Phone with a number of options. Turns out when put up against generic USB chargers (eg. Apple), USB ports and another Nokia charging unit, the Nokia Lumia adapters provided more charge for a faster rate of recharge.
Check out the summarised results below:
- Computer USB 2.0 port: 3.85V - ~110mA - Nokia DC-11K Mobile Charging Unit: 3.9V - 330mA - Apple Charger: 3.88V - 300mA - Lumia 800 AC-16 Charger: 3.95V - 600mA
Should you have a Nokia Lumia charger in your procession, using it over your PC (or other USB based chargers) will pump the juice into your Lumia handsets at a faster rate."
http://www.wpcentral...s-phones-faster
"Also always use the original Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16 or the Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-185CD that came with your Lumia 800, as they are specifically designed to charge the Lumia 800 as efficiently as possible. Only a charger with an output of 1000mA will fully charge your Lumia 800 battery. If you have several Nokia chargers at home, just check the respective labels or plastic parts as the product name is mentioned there."
http://forums.wpcent...-800/186576.htm

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

@Ztuka, our problem isn't with the rate of charge or with the charger that was packaged with our phones.

Can we please just confirm the results that are coming in that 3G is the problem here.

My results are as follows:

3G on = < 9hours
3G off = > 24 hours

This is with light use for an hour or two, mostly in standby. Can Nokia just confirm that there is a problem and fix it. At this point, I'm considering returning my phone and never buying a Nokia product ever again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TheJones

Really interesting comparison to Samsung Omnia W.  I have the HTC Titan as well as my second Lumia Cyan.

The TITAN gives me a consistent 30-36 hours of my normal work day usage (2-3 hours of music, games and browsing, about 100 emails synced across 2 accounts, 30 minutes talk time, a few texts).  The Nokia gives me 6-10 hours.

The Nokia obviously has a major design flaw.  And I believe it might be related to the 3G radios as drain with it switched off is much lower.  

Come on Nokia, lets get a conversation going here instead of just having a lot of angry customers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TanelLass

Guys, the battery life of my phone is not affected with 3g on or off. In fact, the battery estimator suggests that it will last longer with the 3g on. I've done quite a lot of gaming today as I had time to kill and had 3G on the whole day and it has been 12 hours since I charged my phone. There's still 18% left as of now (3 hours).

I had the same problem as you guys but a hard reset fixed it. Check your drain in the diagnostic tool. Mine used to be in mid 350 mA when idle and only 2G on, but after a hard reset and a soft reset, it's been at about 150 mA steadily with 3G on. I think there seems to be a problem with either some apps not closing even though they appear closed or perhaps some kind of faulty app (I had a game app on my girlfriend's phone that would simply kill the phone in a couple of hours for the simple fact that it was on the phone - it wasn't even actively used or visibly in the background). 

So in conclusion, try doing a hard reset and see what happens. 

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielpholt

3G is a problem for some people, but i think my main issue is this.

After i let the battery die, and recharge too full, i get great (or to be expected battery life), it can last me 26-7 hours before it hits the wall, however if i charge it with any juice at all left in the battery, it just doesn't hold it.

Example, i charged it too 100% last night, got back in from work and it was on 52%. Thats whilst on flight mode. Did the same the night before after letting the battery die/recharge fully and when i got home it was on 96%. Still believe this thing is sorted Nokia?
Please use plain text.
fletcher1989

I am now on my second Lumia 800. First one lastest a week before i wanted to throw it off a wall.
Got my second one yesterday and done a standby test during the night.
I tested the lumia and iphone 4s standby.

Nokia Lumia decreased 20% in 6 hours (Doing Nothing)
iPhone 4s Decreased 2% in 6 hours (Doing Nothing)

Before anyone says have you used battery saver....i do not see that point in paying for a £400+ phone and then having to use a feature to tun other features off. I want my mail to come through every 15mins, i want 3g as im in a great 3g area. These are all features that i bought the phone for. Anyway this wasnt to rant about features its basically just to show my standby times on my second Lumia.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jamesg23

I have done the same test and had the same results, it is ridiculous how power power drain the phone suffers when compared with my iPhone. I have all the same features switched on/off on both phones yet one loses hardly any power doing nothing yet the other one loses 20%+  over the same period. Nokia have offered to repair the phone but seen as it isn't damaged I can't see what they would fix? I would presume that the only thing that would make things better are a replaced handset?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Oh dear, pages and pages of useless info on how my "other" phone drains THIS much, while this drains THIS much.

WE KNOW. Does no one read a few posts back?

Let me recap:

* The radio or the driver has a bug, mostly related to signal, that sets off to high drain when 3G is on. It happens all over the world, regarless of carrier, country, or model. Vast majority of reports come from excellent 3G coverage areas. Drain isn't immediate, and shuts up with a hard reset for a while, pointing to a software bug.

* We also know that the counter for battery capacity does bonkers (when charged irregularly apparently) - a reset of a full dicharge cycle fixes it until mayham resumes.

Boy it's hard maintaining a subscription to this thread.

Now on to actual info.

I ran my phone into the ground with the battery today - played a demanding game and the power save was already on, so the critical notification came soon after. Point was, I was treated to "goodbye" in a sudden manner and while the phone was in very high drain - as a result i very deeply discharged it. Not my much mind you, I plugged it in immediately. 10 seconds.

I plugged it in, got the white on black battery, and it stayed like that for about 30 minutes (I was kind of wondering if it will ever boot). At some point it did fire up the OS and the first thing I did was to start Diagnostics.

Imagine my surprise: Charging, 600 mA, Available: 12 mA. 20. 22. 24. What, 12 mA? At 600+ mAh, that's 10 mA/minute, so it seems to have started counting about a minute before. Counting startup and my less-than-cat reflexes (I wasn't trying to catch it), I'm going to guess software started counting when it booted up.

Wait a minute, what happened to all that power that it sucked up while in black mode?

Waited for it to charge fully, and it's now showing 1320 mAh charged, 1320 mAh capacity, charging - 0mA (aka not charging).

So _that's_ where it went. At rougly 500 mA (I'm assuming it's not charging full blast while in panic mode), I'm missing 1450-1320=130 mA, that's 500/130 rougly 38 minutes (30min at 600 mA). And here it is, the 'bout-half-an-hour it took to go up (wich I timed it).

So.

* Draining it empty resets the counter (so does resetting it via button hold)

* Charging it sets 100% value, but not 0%

* Capacity is set as beginning of OS to full charge.

If you charge the phone in black mode, capacity will go bonkers.

I am willing to bet that if you're NOT draining it like a lunatic, but in fact let it slide into unconciousness, it will boot soon after being plugged in and as such reset 0% much lower at OS boot. You will likely have a bigger displayed capacity.

I'm guessing running out at 3 PM means deep drain, which means black battery charge, which means low capacity, which means running out 3 PM. Thus is the cycle of poor software. I wonder how everyone else does it. It must be possible.

Arguably, my phone is fully charged. In theory, it should be all up to the task, regardless of what the capacity displays. Whether it is or not I don't know. We'll see.

At least I caught in the act of chopping reported battery capacity and we know why draining it will fix the capacity - but apparently not high drain. When it gets really low, leave the screen on or something - or let it die in standby. If you are draining it fast enough to heat the phone abnormally, it will go into panic mode and chop it up. (when mine shut off it was hot. Not warm.)

Will report back with actual life of battery. If it's going to shut off prematurely, it will be because it thinks that the start-of-OS charge (~200 mA) is actually zero. If it does, resetting it (hold power button) should knock some sense into it. Should be easy to figure out. Standby drains steadily on my device. If by tomorrow (8 hours standby) it drains more, I'll know the preceived capacity is lower and thus percentages are larger.

For now, I'll hold it in the charger for another hour or so, as per reports that longer charge actually tops it off. I am yet to see any evidence of it. Nor do I understand how that's possible unless the charge mechanish reports battery as full when it is in fact 90% charged to give faster charge times.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
l3yl05

So let me get this right to see I am fully understanding you - You have allowed your battery to totally run out before you went to recharge and you believe that this will cause it to now last less time?

I have had a different experience.

Firstly my phone prior to update would last about 40 hours between charges with light use - 3G has always been on and is never an issue - TBH what's the point of switching off 3G it not the 90's!. I manually sync email once a day, wi fi off unless at home for only a certain period, location on only when I want it to be.

I thought therefore that my handset must have been one of those that was unaffected by the issues the fix was for as I've not had a smartphone before.

I updated around 20/01 and all seemed to be fine. First charge 40 hrs, next charge a bit less but within the two work days timescale so no bother BUT the next two down to 15 hours with barely any use.

Contacted Nokia and in meantime did a reset via the About menu option.

1st charge = 60 hours, next 40 hours then after that back to the cruddy 15 hours.

Nokia responded in an email and advised do switch on switch off again, then try reset via about and finally the three button reset. As I'd already done two of these I did the three button reset.

My phone keeps wanting me to update now as on previous version of firmware but I'm gonna hold off till next update comes out as the current one is a mess.

On old firmware post update first charge = 70 hours, deep discharge sometime during work day currently on second charge, which was from about 16.45 - 07.00 and at 79 hours with 43% of battery left. Use and settings are the same.

Don't know whether to give new upgrade a go again now and let it deep discharge after the first recharge and might get same output - but is it worth the hassle?? Should we just all go back to the dealer and get new handsets Nokia may sit up and listen then as they don't appear the least bothered by these forums? Should we email them the link to this??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

[ Edited ]

l3yl05 wrote:

So let me get this right to see I am fully understanding you - You have allowed your battery to totally run out before you went to recharge and you believe that this will cause it to now last less time?

I have had a different experience.

You misunderstand.

What I said was (I thought I was fairly clear, but serves me right posting late at night) that if you drain it FAST enough to go in the red zone (black and white logo battery charging mode) then that part of the charge that is in emergency mode isn't added to the calculated capacity in Diagnostics.

In fact, I made no claim that battery life was worse or better, but that displayed capacity was worse, which is a bug we have around here - batteries displaying 1300 mA. I promised I'd check life of battery overnight and I did:
6 hours, 6% drain. 2G, BT off, wifi and all other things on. Battery save mode off (so mail was retrieved, etc). That seems to indicate 100 hours standby, which is far from Nokia's claims, but really, "up to" 256 hours means everything is off. Everything. This is not the case for me, I have live mail, live calendar, live everything. Plus GMail (with sync). Plus Facebook. And linked accounts. And wifi, and installed background programs (2 weather apps at least).
So yes, it appears that while displayed capacity was wrong (1310 or so), I didn't notice faster drain. Normally I have 8-9% over 8 hours. If the battery really did drop from 1450 to 1300 (11% reduction), then I should have seen an increase of 10% in drain. Six hours 10 minutes should have definitely stepped on 7% - in fact it was quite fixed on 6%.
As we speak, I have 83% left (17% drain) in 10 hours, and I made 3 calls, received one, a total of maybe 15-20 minutes conversation, plus a bit of browsing. And 3-4 photos. I call it very light usage, but that rounds up to 30% a day. And 3 days ain't bad, even with very light usage.
Apparently wrong displayed capacity isn't necessarily linked to poor battery performance.
Oh, and, estimated remaining is 12 hours. Huh. Told you to not take that one seriously. Turns out, Nokia was right about one thing. Ignore the Diagnostics app - it was meant as a diagnostic tool, not an accurate battery measurement.
Now, if they'd just fix that 3G drain thing we'd be golden. And the camera. Though I could live with the camera, even if there is something obviously wrong with it (is it just me, or is the live preview clearer, sharper than the photo it takes?)
ETA:
"Should we just all go back to the dealer and get new handsets Nokia may sit up and listen then as they don't appear the least bothered by these forums? Should we email them the link to this??"
I don't think that would help, as the guys who patrol these forums are not the same that fix batteries in L800. Though I'm guessing they likely know about it and there isn't anough of us. Or, they fixed it and it will be pushed with the next update.
But I would go with it back to Nokia if I were you. What's there to lose? At the very worst, they'll decline the replacement. Don't think they will. They'll give you another one, and, if they do, report back. I'm guessing it will have the same problems. If it does, you tried. If it doesn't, we'll all get a replacement. We don't know how many of us there are, heck, maybe we're 30 people with a bad batch and Nokia will be happy to fix the problem.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
__C8

Justed wanted to add my voice as well (for what it might be worth).  I suffer from the same problem with appalling battery life, with minimal services turned on and running latest software. I really expected more from Nokia & MS. Even in flight mode battery drain ~150mAh, normal with 3G data ~260-300mAh with wild spikes to 475+mAh for no apparent reason.  All background tasks turned off, etc.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

same problems as for me ... my phone also have spikes to 470mA also in FLIGHT mode!
Please use plain text.
EnricoDutch

Wow, your all record holders! 10hrs max, no special software running, no WiFi. Just a few calls and off she goes. Either Nokia fixes it, very very soon or I'll throw a Lumia 800 at their face!

Please use plain text.