Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Contributor
__C8

In my case I can certainly report that switching on 3G sucks the life from my battery and causes the handset to warm up noticeably. This does not happen with wifi on. You might need to restart for the non-3G config to work properly. Try it out and report back...

Please use plain text.
Professor

KiwiVda wrote:

Is nokia solving this:

http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/telefonia/3134/aut3g.png

English please? 

Try explaining what you want solving instead of linking t a picture with foreign writing on it?!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
asadkhan_duh

i guess i am lucky with the lumia 800 which i have

i get over one and ahalf day on full charge

given, i do not listen to music extensively or play games or anything like that.

i do browse the web when not able to use a tablet or cpu.

phone is excellent
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BertramCretier

You must be one out of a thousand...

I'm fed up with the poor battery life and slow response from Nokia. I'm going to sell my Lumia and return to my good old Samsung...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rhuijgen

I understand your frustation. But the battery is actually very very good on a Lumia 800 when you uninstall the diagnostics app (and reboot the phone).

Before, my battery would run down quite fast (10 to 12 hours max). Now I'm getting better battery results then my HTC Trophy. It lasts about 1,5 days with Wi-Fi on and 3 ActiveSync mailboxes on.

The diag app seems to run, even when it's not visible. I believe it's made from native code so it can do a lot more than regular WP apps. Which includes depleting the battery. I believe this app might be running all the time to collect diagnostic data.

After removing the app, my Lumia is amazing! (everyday, haha)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gomezleonardo

Well, it is the 3g. i have swtiched back to EDGE and the power consumption has dramatically improved.

Only 1% battery drain per hour, with some whatsapp and like reading 5 emails. Email syncro is set to every 30 mins. No wifi. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gomezleonardo

[ Edited ]

@rhuijgen

Does it? I will try it out. Since when did you uninstall the diagnostics app?

I mean, how much time have you been running without it? 

EDIT: I did not read it well at the beggining. The problem is not wifi, it's 3G. Wifi has good drain values.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gomezleonardo

I activated the 3G network connectivity and it shows H which means an active data connection has been stablished, and it should, as the manual says, show 3G, which means that it is connected to a 3G network but no data transmision is being made.

Maybe the bug is all this about, the network connection keeps open like if it was downloading/uploading.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

[ Edited ]

yeah, you're right! my omnia always shows 3G. when i download something it shows 3g+. The lumia shows always H. sometimes 3G. NOKIA fix that please! that can't be so hard to manage :/ but when my lumia show the 3G icon and i download something, then it does not switch to H. maybe it is simple a display error and has nothing to do with the problems...

Please use plain text.
Sadlumia

Have had my Lumia for 7 weeks now and the battery life has been very unpredictable... First few weeks before the 18th of jan update the battery life was rubbish. After the update it was alot better, would get more than a day out of the phone but then sometimes less, seemed to change every other day. Now the battery life has gone back to about 10 hours with light enough use.

I leave 3G on all the time and generally have WIFI turned on during a 9 hour work day. I mean what's the point of a Smart phone if you have to turn these options off. Id like to know are recent Lumia owners having the same problems. I think all the Nokia advertising is starting to bug me now, trust me its not 'the amazing everyday' owning this phone :I 

Also i have noticed if i switch the phone off and try restart it, i enter my lock screen pin number and the phone reboots. It happans at least three times until i get to the main metro screen.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

It's hard to say just using semi-anecdotal comments in this forum - especially when Nokia are appearing to be so counter productive and not helping with any significant feedback on all the issues relating to battery problems, phone crashing events and OS 'quirks'.

But - I think it's clear, that in spite of the latest battery firmware 'fix', that there are still some BIG unresolved issues with power management / 3G radios and OS bugs.  My own battery life fluctuates massively for reasons other than my input or use.

Maybe the only action that'll catch Nokia's attention is an even bigger return rate that this phone probably already has.  I am warning as many potential Nokia WP7 customers to stay well away from these products, at least until they get their act together and resolve these ongoing problems.

Very unimpressed with both Nokia and Microsoft's level of customer interaction.  At this rate, I don't intend on buying any of their future poducts.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mio_BB

Well. After finally having gotten the firmware update from January (8106.11500 / 8106.11501) the phone is holding up as could be expected. Everything on Except X-Box Live and 3G. After 16 hours of moderate use, still more than 50% of juice left in tank. This way it should be possible to skip a charge one night, and charge it the next.

I consider this to be massive improvement. The only Other Smartphone I have had being capable of this was the BB Bold 9700.

In short. Lumia 800 great battery life.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tabraoui

[ Edited ]

Mio_BB, how did you get the firmware updated to 11501?

It seems, poeple who sent their Lumia 800 back to Nokia for repair, receive it back with the 11501 firmware update... and it seems to have solved the battery problem.

But, I can't find this update online... and the phone (and zune) claim that the firmware (11500) is up to date. 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

my lumia also have the 11501 firmware. it was shipped with it. but i do have the battery problems! so the 11501 firmware will not help all of us ...but i'm glad that you have no problems with your lumia ...you are lucky
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

[ Edited ]

I have just received my replacement Lumia and it also has the 11501 firmware from Nokia pre-installed.

So far battery life is holding up (showing 1 day 11 hours after full charge), but it has only had 2 full charge cycles. I suspect the problem, if it returns at all, manifests itself after a number of charging cycles.

As an aside, I was at a customer the other day and one of the guys I was talking to was also waiting for his new replacement phone to arrive. Getting a second handset seems to be almost a rite of passage with the Lumia!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AdriansLumia800

Well after another couple of weeks of use of my black L800, after the update..I've noticed that the battery status indicator is always going haywire even with a consistent moderate usage..Anywhere from 42hrs to 62 hrs..When I use the phone a little heavy the life starts draining like mad and some times its minimal drain..

My usage is:

60-70 odd messages..

Email sync every 5-6 hours manually..

A little bit of Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader used..

Phone alarm being used once a day..

Total calls worth 30 odd minutes..

Facebook ocassionally..

EDGE left on..

Theme dark with Nokia Blue..

Automatic brightness..

Everything else off..

Network selection set to manual..

Ear piece volume level kept at 10..

My opinion as like stated in some of the earlier posts is the driver bug which are forcing some or most of the drivers to stay open or behave irraticly and makes the CPU increase its consumption to run when in reality the system is idling and there by draining the battery..The driver issue could also explain the call ending bug that I also face occasssionally..FYI it could be also because the phone goes into network scanning when it doesnt have too..Thats the other thing even with a manual network selection the phone starts scanning again for the network even when the signal bars are full..

NOKIA YOU NEED TO REDO THE DRIVERS AND RELEASE A BRAND NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR APPLYING THEM SOON!!

Until NOKIA rectifies this phone I will not recommend the use of any nokia product after this current experience..

My Current Phone: Lumia 800 Black (Windows Phone 7.5)
My Previous Phone: Nokia N8-00 Dark Grey (Symbian S^3 - Anna)
Phones Before: X6-00, 5800ME, N72ME, 3510, 3310 (Symbian S40-60)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've found that conditioning the battery (letting it run flat and giving it a full charge) is slowly but significantly improving battery life.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

[ Edited ]

I've handed mine in to a Nokia 'Care' centre for them to poke it with a stick for 10 days (and then hand it back, probably in the same state!).

Not impressed with the care shop - they just took the phone itself , no protective case or box, lobbed it on the side after writing some inaccurate notes on their system about the issues I was having, and said it'll be 10 days.

Classy service Nokia. Classy.

Edit: Just to add to this: We each spend £400 on a new Nokia product which then, for many users develops (several) big issues that impact its primary function - (Battery life & continuity and not being able to end calls)  rendering it not fit for purpose

So I then have to take my £400 investment to a care center and be without it for up to 10 days, all at my expense. And Nokia don't even have the common sense, politeness and good business sense to offer customers an apology and issue them with a temporary interim replacement handset?  Your product is faulty - you should make a mends for the inconvenience caused.

(I'm not talkinmg like-for-like obviously. Just lend customers basic call & text handsets)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
l3yl05

[ Edited ]

As Nokia obviously doesn't monitor its own site do you think it may be worth emailing them a link to this thread and ask them to read it?

I have a sneaking feeling that they know very well there is an issue and may add a fix to this under the cover of another 'update' without acknowledging or commenting that there was ever an issue. - OR is this wishful thinking:smileyindifferent:  ???

***Just emailed it to them with some comments - lets see what they say - I'll post their response when I get it***

Please use plain text.
jimmyLim

My phone full charge , the time remaining is just 16hrs ..

Is it normal?

How t ocheck battery mAh?

Please use plain text.