Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Advisor
SH4RKY

[ Edited ]

Kinaton: "and I have found putting the phone into sleep mode (press power button help save battery)"

Whats the difference between pressing the power button and letting the screen turn it self off??

I always press the power button when im finished. does that turn off features or....?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

[ Edited ]

My battery lasts anywhere between 9 to 12 hours with 3G turned on. This is unacceptable.

With 3G turned off, my battery will last anything upto 48 hours. There *IS* an issue with the phone's handling of 3G.

It could be anything like overcompensating for a weak signal. Nobody else in my work place is complaining about poor battery life on their phones (Androids and iPhones).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SH4RKY

[ Edited ]

IMNdi wrote:

Anyway, I have reports that rebooting the phone in the end of charge state (battery full, screen off, etc) before removing it keeps both battery capacity and the wild consumption in check.

I can understand rebooting making capacity better, don't know about drain. Though most people experience better battery after reset, this minute ritual could help with that.

Rebooting - do you mean just holding the powerbutton and turning it off?   

or forcing a reboot via several button presses whilst the phone is still charging??

Phone lasted 2 days with everything on and very light use.  Although, as mentioned 3g wasnt fully connected as the settings hadnt come through.  They have now so 3g is active and its back on charge after getting to about 15% (usb (dont have the plug with me atm)) .  it was still draining at about 1-2% an hour so it might have lasted another 7-10 hours perhaps.

Intersted in this 'reboot at end of charge method'.   I remember restarting mine several times near the end of the charge but thats becuase i was playing with settings and drain etc

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

SH4RKY wrote:

Rebooting - do you mean just holding the powerbutton and turning it off?   

or forcing a reboot via several button presses whilst the phone is still charging??

Phone lasted 2 days with everything on and very light use.  Although, as mentioned 3g wasnt fully connected as the settings hadnt come through.  They have now so 3g is active and its back on charge after getting to about 15% (usb (dont have the plug with me atm)) .  it was still draining at about 1-2% an hour so it might have lasted another 7-10 hours perhaps.

Intersted in this 'reboot at end of charge method'.   I remember restarting mine several times near the end of the charge but thats becuase i was playing with settings and drain etc

The person reporting this said reboot, not force reboot. So power off normally (slide down). Mine self-half-boots after it's been powered off on charger, likely to maintain charge system. After it has done that (buzzed and I waited 5 seconds) I powered it on, gave it a couple minutes (post-boot it does stuff, understandably, so I wanted to cheat and get that power from the charger) then unplugged it. It's been 2 days and phone is behaving admirably. (I did not charge it 2 days ago. I rebooted 2 days ago, I charge overnight).

It's 11 PM now and phone still has 55% left. I am not a heavy user most days, so this qualifies as light use. Still, 55% is great, knowing what a thirsty beast it is.

So my report on the method is as follows:

After doing the reboot on end of charge, phone has completely stabilized. Capacity is back up to 1350 (was a s low as 1220), battery life is great, no random and sudden changes if drain. All is well, average drain on Diagnostics is 136-137. 3G is obviously off, since as we all (should) know by now, it's bugged.

NOTE: 2 days ago I did the reboot on EOC and battery is stable. I did not repeat the procedure every day, mind you, just once. It's only been 2 days, true, but so far so good. I think I'll be doing it again at some point, but it's not a mandatory daily routine. Also, I haven't rebooted the phone since.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gomezleonardo

I have to report that I got my phone 2 weeks ago. At the beginning it had a bad battery life. Then I upgraded a unbranded .501 firmware version and the problem kept happening. Then 2 days after that my operator upgraded the version and I used store tools app to upgrade again.

After that I took it to a Nokia care centre and they flashed it again. Well, I have to say that it worked. For example, it is draining 3.4% of battery with whatsapp push notifications on and mail sync every 30 mins. Without the whatsapp notifications it drains 3.1% (per hour, of course).

Now its draining like 2.4 % the same settings as above except that I turned off things like sending usage reports to Nokia and Microsoft.

Hope it helps.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gomezleonardo

Sorry for my bad English but it is kinda hard to post from a phone :smileyhappy:, I'm still not used to it.
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I've reached the end of my patience with this phone. I did get battery life up to 36 hours recently with minimal usage but for last week with no useage except for standby I 've been lucky to get around 15 hours
Today I got 14 hours with no useage at all literally no useage at all. Phone died at 17.00 and i had to use e72 paygo phone to say I would be home late. That's it as far as I' m concerned. I' m ditching this phone. Nokia I was very loyal but the Lumia is rubbish
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

Have to echo this: I have finally given up hope for the Nokia / Windows partnership. The battery life is just awful and all over the shop. Nokia 'care' was a very poor experience, they just jump through hoops like monkeys in call centres, and no ability to solve any of the ongoing problems with this LEMON of a handset.

It's up for sale. I feel like invoicing Nokia the £150 short fall in the eventual sale price over the purchase price. Never again.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I've had itwith this phone. the battery life is completely random veering from 36 hours w8th low useage to under 14hours. I  have no confidence in this phone. I cannot go anywhere for more than 12 hours from home unless I have my old e72 with a payg sim card as back up. How rubbish is that. I got 14 hours today with no useage at all and had to use e72at 17.00 to say I would b home late.  Nokia I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years but that' s  . End of  the line.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

[ Edited ]

So, excuse the question, but, how is complaining on this forum advantageous over -say- getting a replacement? Hard reset? Reflash? Reboot? Turn off 3G? Scanning this thread for options and solutions?

I can see from your typing style that you are pretty upset, still, wouldn't better results be available if you channeled your energy into fixing the problem? Did Nokia refuse the replacement? If the phone is nowhere near the published standby figures, then they have to take it back. Why won't you give it back to them?

2 centimeters above your post is a guy who had his phone fixed by Nokia. Did you read that? He has 2.4% drain an hour (40 hours) and he still has something bad in there, a rogue weather app or something, mine drains about 1% per hour when locked, that's about 13 mA. And a little above him is me, sharing on my stabilized capacity approach.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

All logical points, I grant you. I can understand the frustration here especially since this is a Nokia handset which, until now, had a stunning reputation for reliability and excellent battery life.  When you pay £400 for a Nokia you have come to expect a handset with far fewer basic faults and short comings.  You certainly don't epect to have to kid-glove a Nokia to get it to last for a single day's productive use.

The problem could be hardware related or software, it could take nokia days or months to fix.  If it's hardware then you're stuffed.  The Nokia 'Care' people told me today that Nokia are still distributing their '1st batch' of 800's and that maybe the next production cycle will bring in very minor internal tweaks'.  Very confidence inspiring! 

They also told me that they would not be able to replace my handset (according to Nokia's guidance) until they had attempted to fix my faulty handset 3 times, at up to 10 days each time.  Nokia is not even aware that these problems exist - they have their fingers in their ears and are humming.  In short, I think the amount of returns they are getting must be well within any 'acceptable' limit for them not to prioritse these issues.  

It's annoying since the OS is better than expected in this early stage.  It's just not playing nice with the harware right now.  When will phone manufacturers realise that customers would prefer to have an extra 1.5mm on their phone width if that results in healthy battery life in real time use?  Smart phones ain't so smart when you can't use them for fear of them becoming paper weights later in the day.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

I have a Lumia 800 also that I have been trying out for 10 days now.

Some people should look in the manual (Help-How-To) inside the phone, there is a chapter inside the phone. Experience saying me that some just cope with reading the basic before jumping mad...

After a lot of changes charging from 95% to 100% took about 45 mintues, very strange and that was not by using usb charging.

I just started (02:00) a battery check/endurance test after a numerous changes, for example;

Turned off xbox updates

Turned off my locations/my places under various places

Turned off automatic update of contacts.

Turned off automatic update of calender.

Turned off background tasks under settings

No bluetooth to start with

Checking under every app, maps etc for things that can cause battery problems

Data roaming on and of course data connection on otherwise no surf speed or speed downloading emails...

location turned off

Also you can for instance turn off showing the artist when playing music, interesting...

Flight mode and wifi off

Only play sound for reminders not the other ones.

No feedback

Cant turn off find the phone though....

No use of info sending when using search

Further more I did download an update from the carrier/operator under network setup

All these things isnt necessary to run every time you ticking on a tile...well, we sill see what the outcome will be..but I am pretty sure I will have mine 30-36 hours in a row. Depending on how much surfing I will do in this test.

Manual check of emails is of course better for the above 3 accounts and just having one automatic own domain email account. Nokia an MS should do something about between which hours syncing of emails should be...i just took the above settings to check wheather there is a battery problem..

Running in this test 3 email accounts fetching everythour (Yahoo, Live & Gmail) and 1 own domain IMAP account fetching mail every 15 minutes.

I will be back with the results from Stockholm, sweden :smileyhappy:

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kinaton

"Some people should look in the manual (Help-How-To) inside the phone, there is a chapter inside the phone. "  

People shouldn't need too.. the phones should operate to the specifcations they are told when they purchase this item.

For those who are selling them. DON'T... speak to trading standards as you have been sold an item that is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!

As an update. I have been speaking to Nokia CEOs office and they are being really helpful, actually I am serious.  I have also spoken to Microsoft W7 help via twitter.. They said and I tend to agree if there was an os issue then they would have issued an update.. they did say that its possible that their firmware on these phones are coded wrongly.

It very possible that there is a faulty batch of batteries, 3g receving modules, etc..  I say this because I had a friend bring his Lumia to my house, and yes you guessed it.. Full Signal, no crashes and he battery time said 3 days uptime and 56% spare, 2 days!.  He only just got his from the shop, so hasn;'t been reflashed etc.

As soon as I get any help or feedback from Nokia or Windows I will post into here.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aunt_agatha

hmph...I have turned the wifi ,bluetooth, updates etc off as well as my data connection and put it on battery save mode for > 12 hours and I still need to charge it everyday! I just purchased my phone less than a week ago and am regretting not getting the N9 instead!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tabraoui

Again, in my opinion, even if the firmware 11501 is not fixing the drain problem; it is, I think (from what is written in these threads), giving a better battery life after a full recharge.

When I made a complete phone reset, I got around 40 Hrs (when unplugged)... then it decreased with time... now I barely get 12 Hrs (average use)

If the 11501 can give me a stable 40 Hrs for each recharge... It wouldn't be that bad.

I know the 11501 is not available online yet... but does anyone know if and when it's coming?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

the 11500 and 11501 are exactly the same firmware's. the only difference is, that the 11501 is only preinstalled. 11500 indicates that you update your phone via zune
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

I agree with you tabraoui.

My replacement phone had 11501 already installed and the battery life, while still very poor for a 'premium' phone, is much better than it was on my manually updated previous handset. Now, whether that is because of different components, update order, whatever, is open to debate, but the one thing it isn't is my usage patterns which are exactly the same.

My current battery life is around 14 hours. with very light use. If I follow some of the advice in this thread and turn everything off, it would probably last longer, but then I might as well leave it in its box :smileyhappy:

As much as the battery life has improved, there is clearly something wrong with this phone. I am very happy for those people who have a battery life of days rather than hours, but it also indicates what battery performance I should have... and I don't.

Sadly, I too will be joining those who will be moving on to something more durable and fit for purpose. While I love the phone and the OS, I really need something that will still be alive when I retire for the evening.

Should Nokia ever get to the bottom of this, I will *perhaps* fish my handset out from the back of my drawer, but for now, I walk away.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Occams_Cat wrote:
In short, I think the amount of returns they are getting must be well within any 'acceptable' limit for them not to prioritise these issues. 

That's exactly why I kept repeating until blue in the face during various Nokia debacles (N97 issues, purple screen tint on S^3 phones, etc.) that people need to take the handsets back to Nokia in order to get the problem noticed. Whining and ranting about it in this or any other forum will not help much. Recorded returns/replacements of handsets via official channels cannot be ignored indefinitely while endless posting without action can be treated as an insignificant number of complaints within acceptable production tolerances.Growing returns of handsets to networks will also make them raise the issue with Nokia and you can be sure Nokia cannot afford to ignore the operators.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

@93tid "Whining and ranting about it in this or any other forum will not help much".

I don't see people 'whining or ranting', I see people venting their frustration whilst attempting to assist other users with their similar problems, whilst doing Nokia's leg work in narrowing down potential culprits.

And - Have you used Nokia 'care'? I have. I returned my handset and it came back many days later in exactly the same condition. All they did was install the diagnostic app. I was told that it would need to be returned & attempted to be repaired 3 times before they would consider replacing the unit.

I don't want to or expect to, wait for a month for Nokia to fix / replace a faulty unit. In an ideal world they would acknowledge the faults in some handsets and offer a full refund or credit.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SH4RKY

Update:

Took it off USB charge at midnight last night. Did the turn off thing while it was still plugged in etc.

at 11:20 the next morning (now) its at 85%. So thats a 2.3% drop per hour. the 1st 2 hours it was showing 100%...

I have everything on. even 3g. 2 emails etc. the only thing turned off is data atm as i dont want to use up data when i leave the wifi zone. although, i have turned that back on as of now.

its probably important to note that im not 'using' it in the sense of actively playing with it. just the odd 5 mins playing per hour, checking email, responding to the odd text etc.

I just took a couple of photos, and attached them to an email response with a decent sized message and the battery dropped a couple of %... which is expected i would guess... ?

will be interesting to see how long it lasts on friday when i should get more chance to 'play' throughout the day with it.
Please use plain text.