Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Advisor
theoutermost

Ok so I also took my phone back to Nokia Care, and while I wasn't overly impressed by how they handled it or the lack of an interim device being offered while they worked on the repair they did eventually get back to me after the 10 working days had elapsed.  I took my phone in with battery issues relating specifically to 3G and some screen sensitivity issues. During the 10 days they determined my original phone had a problem that couldn't be fixed and I was sent a new device to pick up.

I've now had that device since Tuesday evening, fully charged and disconnected at about 8pm. It's mostly set up as before (1 email account less at the moment as it's not logging in for some reason. hngh) but the exception is that as well as wifi 3g is also on.

I've still not charged it after light usage ( downloading a few apps, twitter, browsing, a phone call or two and a bit of gaming) and it's reporting 36% remaining battery life, 15hrs left, 1 day 16 hrs since last charge. That's pretty darn good, and a lot better than my HD7 Windows Phone used to manage with 3G.

My previous Lumia 800 from the first day couldn't make 24 hrs with 3G on in this same location and would sometiems last little more than 5-6.

It's only the first few days obviously so I'll keep tabs on how it continues but it's a marked improvement already and I would suggest people having battery problems should definately have their phones looked at rather than waiting for software updates. Just be sure to have a backup device of your own sorted if you do take it in.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

To chime in, if you really want record, two day uptime, sure, turn everything off. But.

The phone can easily make the day with everything on except 3G on some phones. I have live tiles, mail, facebook, location, feedback, everything. I charge it from charger (remember, USB charging is insufficient for full charge) and take it with me to bed, to wake me in the morning.

I work in IT, so email, forum, net, VNC is commonplace. Some games, too if it's very slow.

It always made it home. Which is, IMO, sufficient and what can be expected from such devices. It is not necessary to shut everything off, otherwise it's no use having them.

One more thing. It takes 3 returns before they HAVE to change it with another phone. Typically, however, they flash and check first time around. They send it up one level for diagnostics the second and replace on the third. If that doesn't work, pick an equivalent model and they'll replace it.

There is nothing that is keeping them from replacing it the first time around should the capacity be low, from a bad battery.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theoutermost

Not sure if you're replying to me or not, but everything is on with this new phone except bluetooth.

I'll continue to monitor but this is showing signs that it can comfortably manage over a day with 3G on at the moment.

So is the 3G fault normal to all these phones or not? My new phone is currently suggesting it might not be.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Occams_Cat wrote:

And - Have you used Nokia 'care'? I have. I returned my handset and it came back many days later in exactly the same condition. All they did was install the diagnostic app. I was told that it would need to be returned & attempted to be repaired 3 times before they would consider replacing the unit.

It works for others:

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-poor-battery-life/m-p/1326251/highlight/true#M7751

It has worked for me - I had to complain higher up but eventually all was good. My point is that for Nokia to take notice it is more effective to keep returning problematic handsets via official channels than endlessly "vent frustration" here. Nokia will eventually respond basis forum posts, but it tends to take longer and complaints supported by numbers from the service points carry much more weight.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
julev

I had to charge the phone and try again.

I had 12 hours battery life earlier with 3G and wlan. If I use EDGE without data and no wlan the time increases to 16 hours and this is if I do not use the phone, only stand by.

The diagnostic software shows following drains (brightness set to low, rebooted after charging):

Flight mode143-147 mA

Flight mode + wlan 146-200 mA (generally around 146-151)

Edge and mobile data off149-201 mA (generally around 155-165 mA)

Edge + data on147-223 (generally around 155-165 mA)

3G + data on155-300+ ( again most of the time around 160 mA level)

3G + data + wlan155-441 ( and most of the time again around 160 mA)

It looks like the stand by drain is almost the same most of the time, but the peaks are high when data (especially 3G) and wlan are on. These peaks appear quite often and although the drain is most of the time not much different from flight mode, the peaks might rise the average power used significantly when data or wlan is on.

There is no way for me to see what is the battery drain when the screen is off. 140 mA would mean less that 10 hours stand by time. The time I get is a little more, therefore the average drain must be around 100 mA screen off. It looks like it is nearly the same in flight mode.  Too much, no other way to put it, but there is no glue what is running behind the black screen...

This is also shown by the power saver. It shows stand 16 hours stand by time with edge and without data and without use, but the time drops to 12 hours with 3G data or wlan  on and lower if they are actually used.

Sadly, I'd like to use my phone with 3G and data. Additionally: 16 hours without use is also not enough, I would like to have 24 hours with moderate use or 2-3 days with data off.

Please use plain text.
enriquemga

First of all sorry about my English. I am Spanish and I know that my English is bad.

I want to post, because I want to support all the people that is having battery problems (like me). I think that all the people with battery problems should post here, because we will have more impact to Nokia. I love the phone, but those problems are annoying me.

I think that there are 2 big issues: (I have no app running in second plane, email sync 1h, and no third live tile, only watchstrap. I have last update)

1) With E, or G , data connection, or wifi on, the phone can survive all the day ( maybe 12-14h, since 8am to 12pm), with normal use: some navigation, whatsapp, reading feeds, some apps.. Something normal (no downloading apps, or gps use) The battery discharge like 150 - 200 ma. But when I put 3G/H on, battery starts to discharging by 650 - 700 (or more) ma !!!!! (looked in diagnostics app). If I use 3g/h I can use the phone for 4 - 6 hour...! I really can't use 3g/H because the phone wont survive for half of the day.

2) The battery capacity varies each day, (looked when the phone is full charged) some days we have up to 1300 - 1400 mah , and other days I have 1100 - 1200 mah..  (looked in diagnostics app too). So I don't understand nothing.

I bought in December ,  with Vodafone ES. I hope I will help to all the people that is having same problems.

Nokia , we have trusted in you. I love the phone but with this problem the phone is very useless. I can't use 3G/H (so I can't use more of the apps) because I need the phone all the day (I am not saying for 2 or 3 days, I will be happy if I could use the phone with 3g/H only 12 - 14 h!!! )

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Frug0

Heh funny. Anyway I still think that Mobile Data causes battery drain and that's really the only thing that software developers at Nokia should look at. But it is just a phone after all and reading some of your posts people it's like reading a life story. If you're so disappointed with the phone just swap it for another or if you can't then well there are worse problems but we have to live with them .
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

@93tid Yes I saw that one...it was one example out of how many?  :smileyhappy:  I see that he had issues with the screen sensitivity as well as battery issues. Obviously the lucky man actually had a detectable hardware issue!  For those simply suffering from a useless battery, the road to a replacement is long winded and a pain.

May I ask as to who you complained to higher up?  I agree with you in the sentiment that the only way for Nokia to gain any useful feedback is through returns...especially as they ignore customers feedback.  What I find unforgivable is the insouciant attitude they have in regards to inconveniencing customers who have made a significant investment, who are then expected to surrender their phones for up to 10 working days at a time, with no replacement nor compensation offered.  

At a time when Nokia's business is weathering a storm, excellent customer service would have gone a long way to negating my experiences & concerns.  Sadly I have found that to be as shaky as their W7 phones.

I'm glad it's all working out for the majority of customers.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theoutermost

[ Edited ]

Oh silly me commenting too soon on the new phones battery life. It wouldn't be so simple would it?

After second charge shiny new phone has lost over 45% of the battery overnight. All settings are the same as when it was comfortably managing 1 day 20hrs with 3G on after the first charge. So it's all rather puzzling how it's changed so drastically with nothing altered about the phone. Is there something in the charging that causes the battery to go mental? It was done with the boxed in charger.

Colour me confused. Will continue to monitor but if it carries on being silly it will have to be returned.

Please use plain text.
LBB1

I have found the same power consumption figures as you listed, i.e. very high consumption even in flight mode. What helped me was to remove the diagnostics tool, not just close it, but remove it (by holding your finger on the icon in the applications list until the menu opens -> select uninstall). Just having the application in the list drained my battery, sounds strange but removing it helped. Now I have had the phone on for 41 hrs with 41 % battery time left! With the application in the app list the battery was drained tens of percent during a night (8hrs) in flight mode. I now have the code for the diagnostics app in the phone book, when I need it I call it, and remove it after use.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

It does not sound strange at all. While installed, Diagnostics gathers statistics on battery, min and max, capacity, background drain, etc. Uninstalling it removes the daemon, it is only natural it will lower drain.

It should not drain that much, though. If there is a bug, it could drain more but generally speaking it's quite small. The advantage of seeing drain and battery statistics outweighs the drain if not bugged.

I, for example, have it installed, and the latest version is quite useful listing peaks and standby current. No 3G for me, though.

Note that simply installing and running it does NOT provide you with real data. It has to be running to compute background drain, peaks and valleys, and capacity. Only instant data is valid in your scenario.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theoutermost

Interesting I haven't installed the Diagnostics app on this new replacement phone yet so it isn't the cause of the sudden drop in battery performance after second charge.

I suspect 3G is the main cause as previously but why after the first charge with 3G on did it perform so well?

Tis confusing.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Because if it were an immediate, consistent drain it would have never made it into the finished product.

Both bugs are illusive - otherwise they would have been long fixed. 3G bug can manifest itself in offline mode if 3G has been activated. Turning on flight doesn't always stop the drain, but setting mode to 2G does, at least as far as I can tell.

I strongly recomnend rebooting it after using 3G. I also have no more battery capacity issues after rebooting the phone in end of charge state, I have a post above somewhere about it.

In fact, it's been a few days now and save from being stuck in 2G mode the phone is bug free. Charges all the way, battery is sufficient, no dwindling capacity so far. Everything except BT is on, light is manual, low. I get 12-14 hours of use out if it, complete with games, internet, calls, everything I need. I am basically just ignoring battery. Charge at night, use until either evening and charged or battery saver is on, if I played like a lunatic.

I am yet to reboot the phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Amithsiji

From my understaanding 11501 is the update when you do it from Nokia Care or using Nokia Care Tool(Illegal) and 11500 is the one we get from Zune...

Update to my phone really did some fix like call end issue which is far better now and the battery ofcourse I am getting two day back up simply
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nbplopes

Hi,

I've been having poor battery.

Two things I noticed in the Diagnostic tool that seams different from anyone else ...

At 72% charge ...

Voltage: 3.952

StateOfHealth: 612

Usually I see people stating that on StateOfHealth they get 857.

What does this mean?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pemell

Same for me. My StateOfHealth is 611 and my battery drains faster then other people I've been talking to.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

my battery health is 613, and my battery barely lasts 12 hours.  Im going to test without the diagnostic utility installed, and see what difference it makes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pemell

In Detailed Battery Info, and under detailed, what is your "FullAvailableCapacity" and "FullChargeCapacity"?

Mine is 1477 and 1421. What is the difference between them, and why can't I charge up to the full available capacity?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

my full available is 1479 and full charged is 1454.  no idea why it wont charge to the full available though.

Another thing i've noticed too.. No idea if this is common knowledge or not, but the battery charges over twice as fast when plugged into the mains, vs plugged into a computer.

charges at 280mah average when connected to a computer, but charges at 580mah average on mains.  Glad I know that now after spending half a day charging it for the last week.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wouthorr

[ Edited ]

I think it's the phone case that's delivered with the Lumia.

I had great battery life 24+ hours. That changed 2 weeks ago when a friend put the casing on just for fun. I left it on and battery life dropped to 12/14 hours.. I tried every thing: removed the diagnostics app, disabled apps running in the background, disabled location services.

2 days ago I removed the casing and it has lasted 23 hours now with moderate use and 20% left. Can anyone confirm?

Not sure if it matters, I have the black Lumia 800 with the black rubber casing..

Please use plain text.