Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Counsellor
IMNdi

What do you mean, installed WP7? If they were never WP7 devices, then they were never built for WP7(5) in which case nothing they experience is of any concern to anyone else.

Also, more than a few people own several Windows phones from various manufacturers and they have had no issues except with Lumia 800 (see above). It is not an OS issue, it is a driver issue. If the OS kept doing things via 3G for no good reason they all would have had diminshed life.

Not only that, but other Lumia devices, like the 710, have no such issue. They seemed plagued by the end call bug, which is recognized and fixed (or fixing, can't rmemeber). AFAICT, only one person reported an end call issue with L800, and that was solved via flashing IIRC.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

As above, If you're installing WP7 onto a phone that isnt designed with WP7 in mind, then your opinion is immediately invalidated. We all know the battery life problems are down to the handset and not the OS.
Please use plain text.
CharlieM

I've found the battery life actually fluctuates depending on what you leave in your 'multitasking' window. If it's the regular Windows phone apps it's mostly not a problem.

For instance Wordfeud ate through my battery. If you back out of applications like that (in stead of pressing home) it will save you quite a lot of batterycharge.

I know someone said this, or something like it, somewhere. Perhaps in this thread of on XDA. It sure makes a whole lot of difference.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

i always back out of apps properly, it has no effect on my battery life. It's poor regardless.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SH4RKY

[ Edited ]

Soooo......

Yesterday i switched off 3G and data to see if it would improve my battery. My battery was fine, it decharged at about 2% an hour, which is more than fine in my eyes.

didnt noitce any change, so switched them back on this morning. Checked my phone just and it was warm to the touch and the battery was at 13% (from about 50 a few hours ago). So i install the diagnostics and find the draw is about 250. I assume its been at this while in standby too for the phone to be warm and the battery to be so low....

Oh dear... I guess it was becuase i didnt reboot my phone after turning 3g back on. so i turn it off just before plugging it in to the USB charger. and now the bloody thing wont start. or charge.

I assume its becuase the battery is too low? and the USB doesnt give enough juice to get it going?

I hope if i can get it going, it goes back to its pretty great 2% per hour drain like its given me the last week. Hoping it was just a glitch...

EidT:  Oh result, its just kicked back into life.   Ill let it charge, then reboot etc and see if thebattery drain has dropped to normal levels.

I get the feeling, rebooting (restarting) it every so often probably helps.   I tend to restart it at the end of every charge, or when ever i make a lot of setting changes.  Just didnt bother today....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

Reporting back after some time. It seems that IMNdi's advice works for me. Rebooting the phone helps (good ol' Windows, huh). I'm getting 2D 7h (+/- 2h) with everything on, except 3G. The moment I turn it on, the battery lasts around half of that. I do not have diagnostic app installed, nor any app that was not developed by MS or Nokia (to be sure it's not 3rd-party-app-related).

It's still nowhere near 5 days, my friend is getting from the same model, though.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Vortx wrote:

Reporting back after some time. It seems that IMNdi's advice works for me. Rebooting the phone helps (good ol' Windows, huh).

This is not a Windows problem. Windows doesn't know nor care what happens behind the scenes, it's the 3G/modem driver's job. Also, no other phones seemed plagued by this issue. I know I've said it a lot of times before - but say it enough without being challenged and it starts to become "common knowledge" and that's just not fair. I love Windows phone, it is virtually bug free and, compared to all other phones I had it's pure bliss. Every time an app refuses to exit and I get annoyed I remember Symbian freezing completely for no apparent reason while attempting to ring. For every limitation I hit because it's not implemented yet or never there (like front camera) I remember phones that had the feature in specs only (Like N900 and MMS/video call). It's worse to have a front camera and not being able to use it than to not have one at all.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's the best there is and I want it to succeed. Too many attempts at a good thing died off. I want my next phone to be a good looking Nokia Windows and I'd appreciate it if it had no Nokia bugs.

Yes, I know. Still.

SH4RKY wrote:

(a) so i turn it off just before plugging it in to the USB charger. and now the bloody thing wont start. or charge.

(b) I assume its becuase the battery is too low? and the USB doesnt give enough juice to get it going?

I hope if i can get it going, it goes back to its pretty great 2% per hour drain like its given me the last week. Hoping it was just a glitch...

EidT:  Oh result, its just kicked back into life.   Ill let it charge, then reboot etc and see if thebattery drain has dropped to normal levels.

(c) I get the feeling, rebooting (restarting) it every so often probably helps.   I tend to restart it at the end of every charge, or when ever i make a lot of setting changes.  Just didnt bother today....

a) USB charging charges the battery only partially, is bad for the battery and, if you chase the long standby should go the way of the dodo.

b) Yes. When battery is too low, attempting to power up the OS creates a drain that would lower voltage of battery below cut-off, which would render the battery unchargeable by normal means. Aka, Nokia Care. As a result, it is first charged in "emergency mode", a a constant rate, about 500 mA or so for 10-30 minutes, then the OS boots in a minimal configuration to monitor the charge (red/white battery logo). Once that reaches a certain level, the OS can boot.

Do not dispair.

c) There is no need for periodic boots. If you followed the instructions above, you would notice that once the batery has been correctly calibrated, it tends to keep going straight. It is possible to throw it off by a deep discharge, but if you fully charge it (from wall wart, please, and leave it at least an hour or two in the charger after 100%) then reboot it that should set it straight again.

Note however, point a).

I am unsure, frankly, why that is - it should take longer, but maximum capacity should not be affected. Whether that is a limitation beyond my understanding (hmm) or a software limitation I cannot say - but it is possible that some overcharge protection makes charging difficult.

For example, when USB charging, phone needs to maintain the USB protocol to get 500 mA, which might mean phone never sleeps. If that is the case, then daemons that run could peak consumption over the maximum USB can give it and thus induce micro-cycles. This is especially bad near full capacity and the limitation could be there for protection - a simple ring or message could drain over what USB provides (buzzer, sound, CPU, GPU, modem, wifi all power on on ring) and kill the battery fast. In contrast, a wall wart could keep these on and maintain a charge.

Also, end-of-charge state is when big daemons run. Phone locked, battery full, on charger, is called EOC state and it's when MS lets loose the heavy tasks - tasks that are allowed to run for minutes at a time, with no memory or CPU limit - meaning drain is quite high. Another reason why USB charge would induce mini-cyles.

See HERE. Section "Constraints for Resource-intensive Agents".

Who knows for sure. Point is, it says so in the documentation and in Nokia's press release. If you want battery to work fine, use a GOOD charger. If you can't tell which is which, use the one provided.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SH4RKY

Thanks for the info!

Didnt realise USB charging was a bit dodgy. I knew it took longer, but its been fine so far. Ill endevor to use the plug from now on i think!

The phone booted after 5 mins after being plugged nto the PC (battery was at 15% when i turned it off) and charged to 100% and, again with everything on (inc 3g), battery drain seems to have returned to my normal 1-2% in standby per hour :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Barjob

Switching off 3G is definitely the key. It's now 21:35 and I've had yet another normal day of using my phone. I have 76% remaining. I can get 2 days easily out of it which is easily acceptable. If I enable 3G it would now be out of juice. Please fix this Nokia or Microsoft. Other than that you have a superb phone and OS combination. Love it.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Don't worry, the drain will return, usually 24-48 hours. 'Afraid there's no cure for 3G as of now.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SH4RKY

I didnt seem to notice much, if any, difference with 3g on or off. A part from the obvious nuking of my battery when i switched it back on and never restarting the phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darkpuh

Somehow it seems that the latest update cleared parts of the problem for me. Now I don't necessarily need to re-charge the battery after lunch. I commute about 2 hours every morning and evening and like to listen to Spotify (offline playlist) and in the beginning I had huge problems with battery dying already around lunch time.

Now atleast it lasts until evening. I wouldn't like to turn 3G off, but might need to as I really hate having to re-charge the battery during the day.

Apart from the poorish battery life and below standard audio quality, I like the phone quite much.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
FinSteve

I got my phone form operator with the latest OS/firmware.

When I started using it the phone I was getting about 2 days worth of standby on normal use (wifi on / 3G on). Now when I do a full charge, I get max 19 hours even if I turn WIFI off. I have disabled all background tasks etc. It seems that keeping wifi / 3g on or off doesn't have much impact and when phone gives me an estimate of the charge remaining time, it usually is quite spot on unfortunately. If I now charge the phone to 100%, it usually says something around 20h, before it used to say +2d.

So for no apparent reason the actual use time has halved, with similar usage patterns. Either some apps I've installed have background tasks that can't be disabled or the battery is getting worse.

Please use plain text.
ahha5800

Almost the same as what I experience.

Only thing is that I did have to perform the latest updates my self.

Nokia Care told me to perform the hard reset (which I hadn't done). The next day, after a full charge of the battery overnight, I got 1 day and 15 hours as prediction. Next day it already dropped to 10 hours.

Then Nokia Care told me to do some recharging cycles to calibrate the battery, but I never reach above 19 hours. Basically I have 3G and wifi turned on (which should be expected from a smartphone).

What is the average time the Lumia 800 lasts on a full battery charge?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

My *very* unscientific guess would be, depending on use, around 12-18 hours.

That's assuming that you are not a victim of the battery bug that plagues some phones.

I'm sure people will now say that they can manage 3 weeks with 24/7 streaming :smileyhappy:, but for me, 12-18 hours is about right.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pollis559

I have had the same issues after I got my Lumia back from Nokia. I got back a new phone with  the latest trial firmware installed.

The first few days it worked great giving about 26 hours life. Then it got worse. One night I took it off charge when I went to bed and in the morning it only had 7 hours left on it (about 15 hours total before it died).

It tends not to like being plugged in mid charge (good for the Li-ion battery though). The battery software gets messed up. Someone please sort it out. I no longer trust my phone to last me a day. With so many good updates to Drive etc on the horizon my battery load is only going to increase.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Aslan93

ok my posts keep getting deleted by the moderator as im leaking information i guess so i'll stop. my mistake.
however this is a forum where people help others and threfore i'll say this: for all of you who are having battery troubles just wait and trust nokia you dont have long left! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Aslan93 wrote:
ok my posts keep getting deleted by the moderator as im leaking information i guess so i'll stop. my mistake.
however this is a forum where people help others and threfore i'll say this: for all of you who are having battery troubles just wait and trust nokia you dont have long left! :smileyhappy:

It is a bit silly for the posts to be deleted considering it's all over twitter and a quick google search will reveal all

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

True, but I think the problem was some of these posts were mentioning (or linking to) a certain updating method that's not allowed here.

I'm looking forward to any future updates, not having any real issues with the lumia but will never say no to improvements and fixes.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Ah fair enough. The updating method that shall not be mentioned

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.