Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

sherrymotty

I have a Lumia 800 that was bought a month ago. I did all the updates and when the phone was fully charged it was showing more than a days(27hrs) time remaining on the battery saver setting. But after an application causing my phone to hang,  I had to reset software by pressing down the volume key and power key together. After the reset, even with full charge it is showing only 15-16 hrs time remaining in the battery saver setting. Any idea what could be the issue, I checked the software and it was up todate. Please let me know your thoughts?

Please use plain text.
sherrymotty

I have a Lumia 800 that was bought a month ago. I did all the updates and when the phone was fully charged it was showing more than a days(27hrs) time remaining on the battery saver setting. But after an application causing my phone to hang,  I had to reset software by pressing down the volume key and power key together. After the reset, even with full charge it is showing only 15-16 hrs time remaining in the battery saver setting. Any idea what could be the issue, I checked the software and it was up todate. Please let me know your thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mattresso

My thoughts are...it's awful - mine is flat in much less 12 hours with everything turned off and on standby!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ChRoM

@IMNdi: Thanks for your great explaination. Haven't been around some time and only saw it now though. Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Erazor84

[ Edited ]

yeah mine too. 10-17 hours on standby with every turned off. even on flight mode! sometimes the device lasts 24 hours. on some other days the device gets hot and it lasts only 6 hours till the device is turned off. when i charge the phone 100% and turn it off -> after 8 hours of slepp 7% drain. after boot up, the battery only has 93% left. the lumia series has BIG problems and nokia did not do anything about it ... my next windows phone will be a samsung again .....

with nokia, problems over problems ->

battery problems

screen is purple on the left side

speaker problems compared to the other windows phones in games

its my 3rd lumia 800, and ALL theese devices got the same errors .... i'm totally dissapointed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

It shouldn't.

Please go through this checklist:

* Fully charge the phone with its own wall wart for at least 4 hours.

* Check details with Nokia Diagnostics.

* * Capacity should be over 1100 mAh.

* * Instant drain should be ~70 mA

* * Charged percent should be over 95% (ideally 100)

* * Available power should be over 1100 mAh

If you pass the above checklist, then battery is OK, and it's draining intermittenetly. Check:

* Phone is switched to 2G (E) not 3G

* Phone actually sleeps (it makes a sound while locking when volume is at 100% like a drop of water)

It is worth noting that WP is very efficient, and Nokia is pretty good at providing support. Bluetooth is actually not draining much (unless you have a PC dongle or earpiece that keeps connecting), GPS is very narrowly used (and cached) and so on. There is no need to have "everything off". I have BT off (don't use it), and use 2G, but otherwise everything is ON.

If these pass, then it's a drain that is not constant. Most likely, some app you have in background is hanging/draining, in spite of safeguards by Microsoft. Go to Settings, slide to the right page (finger slides left) and you'll find yourself in a tab called "Applications". Choose "background tasks". Go though each of them and set to off (also disable "restart task when I next run this app" or whatever it's called). Yes, all of them. Off.

Check to see drain now. If it still drains, you may have installed stuff that use push notifications. These notifications maintain a constant connection to a push notification server, and that drains, especially on LOW speed connections and encrypted (secure) wifi. Having these apps INSTALLED may drain like crazy. Especially if you only drain AFTER power on or leaving phone out of flight mode.

WhatsApp, Google Chat, most chat apps, really, some games, some weather apps, use push. These don't appear in any list, but drain. Disable "Push" in settings (of the app, if they have it) and reboot the phone.

If it is still draining, then you have 2 actions left:

a) Format the phone. Also called Hard Reset, this will erase everything. As a result, all third party stuff will be lost, but you can restore contacts, calendar and some other stuff from the MS servers, you can use Reinstaller to mass install older apps, etc. Battery tests should be done BEFORE you install anything - with an empty phone. If you reset and reinstall Chat then it's for nothing. I recommend that drain tests should be don over at least 6-8 hours. If not, a battery percentage fluke (like dropping from 100 to 98%) may indicate 3-4% per hour (24 hours) rather that 1 (4 days). Even with 4 hours

b) If with a "clean" phone (you can use a test account with no data or use your account but restore absolutely minimum necessary) it still drains, then you can take it back to Nokia. As per their specs, and our experience, the phone should be able to do 2 days with minimal interaction, on 2G, with just a few calls and SMSs. Mine does, and it's not really minimal interaction. I'd go as far as to say that if I don't play demanding games for hours it is a reliable phone for 2 days. With net, alarms, pictures, movies, some 'net, minimal gaming and a few calls and SMSs.

-----------------------------

And finally, one last advice for everyone: IGNORE THE ESTIMATED BATTERY LEFT. If you think that estimated 16 hours means your phone will live 16 hours, then that number is NOT for you.

Estimates are based on average use, specs, percentages and other stuff that are meaningless for anyone not doing linear use. It is NORMAL for it to be off by as much as 50%, it is normal for it do go from one end of the universe to the next on reset, on charge, on heavy use. Depending on how it's calculated and how you use the device, it may never be of ANY use to you.

If you don't really use the phone, and you charge it at 8 AM, and at 6 PM (10 hours) it drained 50%, then estimate will likely show 10 hours left. Start navigation, you'll kill it in one. Set offline, it will last another 24. Its purpose is to give you an idea on whether you will make it home or you need to charge it in the next few hours. That's it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
C_Lem98

well i'm considering buying the phone but the phone is a one peice phone with so seam so no way of changing battery. does anyone know how long the battery actually lasts cos i will have the phone on a 24 month contract, i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me??

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

Let me put it this way. I wanted to sell mine, when I got it cause 18 hrs was not enough, but now (after several updates) it holds around 2 days 8 hrs no matter what :smileyhappy: I'm glad I kept it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

C_Lem98 wrote:

well i'm considering buying the phone but the phone is a one peice phone with so seam so no way of changing battery. does anyone know how long the battery actually lasts cos i will have the phone on a 24 month contract, i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me??

Can't you wait for another month or so for the WP8 phones to come out ? If you are going to tie yourself down for 2 years at least get a handset running OS which will be properly developed and supported during that time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

a) The phone doesn't have a USER replaceable battery. You shouldn't do it at home. Nokia will happily replace the battery for a modest sum. As will they replace anything else in your phone.

b) How long the battery lasts in years isn't the same as how long the charge lasts. The phone isn't old enough to die off so nobody knows how long it takes to die; this information should be obvious.

c) This thread is linked to L800's software issues, including the (now fixed) charge and capacity bug, but also to the (as of now still at large) 3G data link bug. Many of us are subscribed to it and we use the forum to keep up with new developments - via subscriptions. Every post gets emailed across the world. If you want information about battery longevity, I suggest you start a new thread. Which is likely to be empty, due to b)

Please use plain text.
JoeLopez

I bought My Lumia 800 about 2 months ago. I orginally programmed it on my laptop which has since been resigned to the history books due to a duff hard disk driver.

I updated from another computer but nothing about battery life has been improved infact since updating if anything it has become worse.

Where can I get a full update if the original computer is dead? Right now I have a battery life (at the worst of times) of about 6 hours. Considering the phone is practically brand new I am pretty shocked with this. As well as this the mid-charge bug is still going strong.

It has a Win 7 system and is just a standard lumia 800. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
behrouzj

[ Edited ]

Guys,

I have new lumia 800 , battery is horrible! What can I do? Battrey last for 17 hours when 98% is charged with 3g and wifi off! its like I charged it full and used a little bit and then I turned off everything to check the battrey and it was 17 hours for 98%! is this normal? if no , what can I do?

it should last at least a day with 3f and wifi off!

one more thing with 3g on how long does it suppose to last? normal use but auto sync for e-mail.

One more thins is that I have upgraded to the latest version 3 days ago.

Behrouz Jazayery
Please use plain text.
lydiaboah

[ Edited ]

All I want to know is if there is some way of increase the sustainability of the phones battery life

mkr10001 wrote:

Anyone here's battery run out very quickly. I had it charged last night and when I got up in the morning it was down to 35% from just sitting there. 

It might have been updating email but that shouldn't kill the battery like that. 

I don't use it that much during the day but it seems to go down really fast. I'm currently at 47% and it estimates 1 hour left....

Please use plain text.