Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 poor battery life

Counsellor
jragar

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Nokia spoke to me and suggested I replace my phone at Vodafone, and if problems persist contact them to get a replacement directly from the source.

I've got mine today and will see if I still have the same problems in a couple of days. My 2 weeks off work stop on Thursday, so the phone will see some real use.. lets see what happens.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jragar

Heres a thought chaps, post your hardware revision, if someone has good battery life there may be a particular hardware revision that is better etc.

I've just received my replacement phone, so will post once I know what hte battery is like
Please use plain text.
Advisor
N8FanBoy

[ Edited ]
Hi Guys,

Are these issues in minority or majority of the handsets are impacted by these issues?????

I've been reading the posts here for a while now. And frankly i'm really disheartened. I decided against buying an Iphone 4 last year because of the antennagate and bought an N8 instead. I loved the N8 hardware and though the software was far inferior to the Iphone 4 it didnt matter to me because I believe that a phone must be a good phone first and then an entertainment source.

Ever since Nokia announced the tieup with Microsoft I had been holding out for their windows phone resisting the temptation to jump to a better OS, but after reading all this feels like I have a been really let down. I pre-ordered my Lumia 800 last week in Hong Kong and i'm not sure I would like to go through with the order anymore. Infact the Iphone 4 still seems like a better option now. How can a phone manufacturer of the stature of Nokia ignore a basic phone aspect like battery baffles me. What is going on Nokia???? Do you care about your fans anymore??

Please use plain text.
Advisor
biggzyn80

I reset mine today, and after a reset I set it back up like I had it set up, but battery now says it will last 1 day 11 hours, before I did a reset it never went that high, thanks to the poster who said he did a reset, battery now seems better already, so to all with a Lumia, do a reset before you use the device, it may well help.

Adam.
Please use plain text.
miele84

Mine is getting better after 1,5 week but still not really top. Lasts for about 16 hours. How do I reset? Or do you boys mean set back to fabric settings?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
thePan

After beiing disconnected from charging, my lumia showed 1 day 11 hours yesterday (full energy safe mode) and 1 day 13 hours today (3g off).

Sadly, on both days all juice was gone after more or less 9 hours 30 minutes - and I hardly used my lumia at all.

Oh, and I got the WiFi-Bug too.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
biggzyn80

Reset settings in settings/about, its at the bottom.
Please use plain text.
ipbright

Just to add my two pence worth...

I have obviously been experiencing the same problems as everyone else here. I am an Orange customer and bought the handset in store in Islington a week ago last Saturday. I replaced the first handset with a second one last Thursday. No improvement in performance.

I went back to my parents yesterday to test my Dad's handset against mine (same device but ordered from Vodafone and delivered last week). With identical settings and same usage the batteries drained at pretty much exactly the same rate.

Given that people here are experiencing the same problem from across practically every network in the UK I'd say if its a faulty batch its a rather large faulty batch!

My view is that the handset was rushed out before all the final tweeks in performance were made (deadlines were likely looming to get it signed off, manufactured and ready for shipping in time for Xmas). This would explain why the two battery related updates are stated as being 'pre-planned'. So I am fairly optimistic that they may work and that this isn't a 'new' problem that Nokia aren't already aware of. They shipped the handsets when they weren't fully ready. Seems to happen alot with technology these days. Well that's my opinion anyway.

Re: the battery life indicator improving after reset. That indicator seems to learn the expected battery life as time goes by, based on your usage. I have a feeling all you've done by reseting your phone is make it 'forget' previous usage and so the estimate is going to be way over. Let me know if that's not the case though as if this does solve the problem I'll be resetting like a maniac.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
N8FanBoy

Well Amen to that ipbright!!! I hope so too that these are just initial glitches and Nokia rectifies these at the earliest. Though it'll be an anxious wait as Lumia arrives in Hong Kong pretty soon on 12th December.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
loopz

I have to say, I wouldn't swap out this phone even with these issues.  For anyone wondering about the Lumia I have to say for me the rest of this phone is just awesome, its a fantastic job by Nokia and Microsoft.

Since all the smartphones have limited battery capacities (in search of thin bodies), perhaps Nokia should roll out a 2000mah+ N-series beast to differentiate itself?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

Yes, apart from the battery issue, the phone has a very nice design.

However, not all phones have a 9 hour battery life with doing almost nothing. Nokia should fix the issue with this phone first and *then* release a new phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

@cjlim You say you're happy with the battery life with the current settings, could you please post your settings for WiFi, Auto-set time, Data, 3G, etc.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

My settings are as follows:

1. Wifi is on but wifi scanning is disabled
  2. Phone set to 2G only  and data connection is off because I have wifi most of the time anyway.
  3. Screen brightness set to low and auto is off.
  4. Bluetooth is off
  5. All accounts set to sync manually
  6. Press and hold the left arrow at the bottom of the screen and stop any apps that shouldn't be running.
  7. I always use the power button to turn off te display after using.

With the above setting, I actually got 5.5 days over a quiet weekend when usage was very low. Normally I get between 2-3 days with regular use.

I thought the key setting in my case was the wifi scanning. I hope to get round to checking that again I get my mms settings sorted.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
south01

did nokia fix all the battery problems yet?

im in Australia and Windows phones arent here yet they released the N9 only, i cant wait to get the new nokia but seems some are having problems...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

cjlim wrote:

I have checked the settings on mine. It does says it is connected on the Settings page even thought both boxes are unticked. However, Windowsphone.com says "No phone found" so it obviously isn't connected.  Perhaps the location on Windowsphone.com is the last known location before you unticked the boxes. I never ticked mine hence not found.

Both boxes unticked, but windowsphone can still locate my device when I click on the "update" link. 

Just now I tried to call it with the online feature and yes, it did call my phone. I find this weired. 

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GJS1

[ Edited ]

The two tick boxes have nothing to do with disabling Find my phone, so obviously it will still work.

They are to do with connecting to the feature more quickly by using push notifications instead of text messages, and the second option just caches your location regularly so that the site doesn't have to ask for a live location from the phone and will have a last known location before your battery dies.

Once the windows phone site recognises your phone it is always active.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Superb if that's true and it might be, but I still think the menu is confusing regards to this feature:smileyhappy:
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Maybe the difference is because I never activated this feature. Still not locating my phone even though it says connected.

Another interesting observation. I noticed the battery depleting a little quicker than normal this morning. I reset my phone last night and forgot to set up my office wifi so the phone was not connected all morning. Too soon to draw any conclusions.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

[ Edited ]

south01, Windows Phone 7s were released in Australia late last year. Or are you just refering to the Lumia 800?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rallicat

I've heard from a source that the first update could be coming as soon as tomorrow.

Additionally, my sources tell me 'Everything Everywhere' (Orange and T-Mobile) are currently holding off on shipping any further Lumia 800's to their stores, and are automatically returning any returned Lumia 800's that have had battery / charger issues directly to Nokia.

This generally should tell us that there is clearly a fairly large number of people that must be complaining to Orange / T-Mobile about battery related issues, and that it /is/ a real problem.

So Nokia will no doubt be getting pressure not just from us users, but from a major network operator too.

Lets see what comes with tomorrows (hopefully) update.

Please use plain text.