Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 poor battery life

Sage

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

No stand by is the phone on but not doing anything i.e it is in standby waiting for you to do something with it. Like how when you turn a tv off with the remote, it's on standby, it's still "on" but not doing anything.

And can people stop saying it's an app. There are no apps running on my phone and data and wifi are OFF. It is NOT an app
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

It's quite possible that there are different issues at hand here - some with a clear hardware defect and others with a battery settling in after a couple of charge cycles and tweaking of apps settings. It looks like you are in the first group, unfortunately.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

Mark, try put it in airplane mode, find me phone off, location off and background tasks off, see how much it depletes then. Mine took 14 hours to go down from 100% to 97%
Please use plain text.
Advisor
GlenThomas

No standby definately means powered off. TV is a fantastic example, thanks for bringing that up. Your TV is powered off in standby mode. It is not "on".
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lumpaywk

left mine alone for an hour and only dipped 2% so that would make a 50hour standby. I have noticed that as soon as the screen is clicked on not just unlocked it connect to the wifi. Could it be that the wifi on the lumia is a real battery drain i will leave wifi off tommorow and check.

Please use plain text.
Sage

No Glen. Stand by does not mean off. If it did...we would say off and not stand by.

Stand by means it's ready to do something. If you turn your TV off with the remote and put it in stand by, still plugged in and turned on at the wall, how will it know that you have pressed the button on the remote to bring it out of stand by unless it was on?
The sensor cannot detect that a signal has been sent from the remote to wake it up unless there is power going through it.

So yes, TV WAS a fantastic example to prove my point perfectly.

In stand by it is still on.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PieterB

Today after more than 10 hours, some light use, about 25 minutes of phone calls and some internet browsing, still over 60% left. Somehow, my problem seems to be solved after disabling location services.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdemedts

Hi arkiliknam. I only turned off all bakcground tasks in the settings, so in fact the commercial thing for other apps. And I also uninstalled facebook app, but I doubt its the facebook app. Location and 3g are on, wifi only on when I am at home.
I suppose the explanation is that the battery needs some charge cycles to get to its optimum and you can tweak a little by playing with the phone settings. Just like new shoes for womem, they live a week in pain before they can enjoy their new fashion item.
Please use plain text.
Sage

PieterB

Strange, from what I can gather, location services being on only means that it is available for apps to use, doesn't mean that it is on and being used all the time. How many of your apps actually use location services?
Please use plain text.
miele84

How can I turn the find my phone mode off?

Please use plain text.
Sage

@miele84

I don't think you can. Find my phone doesn't use up anything though. When you want to use it, as long as the top box int he settings is unticked, it send a text message to your phone to tell the phone to do something. E.g. ring, lock, erase, turn on gps and find. If you don't use it it won't affect your phone
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

I've noticed that when the phone is 'locked' the wifi is turned off, and it only turns back on again when unlocked.

Could WIFI be an issue of battery drainage? Doubt it, 3 hours with WIFI ON, it only dropped 1%. Logical to me, seeing that WIFI is actually only turned on, when phone is actively used.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

Now testing with:

Airplane Mode OFF
Background Tasks: OFF
WIFI OFF
Cellular ON
Data Connection OFF
Battery at 92%

WIll report back in a few hours
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
surreypete

My Lumia battery life is the worst I have ever experienced on any phone I have ever had, with very light use I am extremely lucky if I get 8 hours until it needs charging. Luckily I still have my blackberry which I am using for work but there is no way that the lumia is meant to be like this, I love everything else about it though, the trouble is it's no good if you're scared to use it too much in case it dies.

Please use plain text.
1uck3y

I sent customer services an e-mail and basically got fobbed off being told it is down to the software the phone uses and there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange told me it is a common problem ! but did not want to refund my money ! Last night was the final straw, got home at about 7.30 and battery life was showing as 61%, two hours later after phone being left on standby, i went to use it to send a text and it had switched itself off and was as flat as a witches.....! Worst part is that i put the phone on charge and it didn't come on as it usually does, after 20 minutes i gave up waiting for it to come. Checked the time and it was 21.40, phone finally came on and woke me up.......at 5.43am ! **bleep**. had to abandon using it today, so thought sod this. Took it back and after lots of arguing with customer services, who told me i was not entitled to my money back, i finally got a refund, but am now using my old phone. Got to be honest, the Lumis is a great phone, but just too unreliable. Two battery problems 4 days after buying it. I would consider buying another one, but only once i was sure the problem is sorted out. Sorry nokia, but you really need to go away and sort this problem out, other smart phones out there have a much better battery life. At the end of the day you would be much better off being honest with people and letting them know there is a problem instead of fobbing them off.  RANT over.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

I've got a theory that could or could not cause the battery drainage.

Auto-brightness. Is everyone here who is facing battery issues have auto-brightness on? I have, and I haven't noticed my Lumia ever dim the screen, which could mean that it's always at the very brightess, which would of course lead to battery draining.

Anyone fancy switching it to manual and mid-bnrightness see if that improves the situation? Currently doing some other tests on the battery and can't test it my self.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jragar

it could be in part due to the auto brightness, but I have noticed mine does change brightness from time to time.

I think the main issue is the wifi / 3g devices in teh phone are using too much power. For example, today with hardly any use of the phone, in battery save mode (couple of texts, small browsing, 15 mins nokia drive) got down to 50% after 22 hours.

However, if I take it out of battery save and use auto sync, it kills it alot faster. Location may have a big part to do with it.

Of course, we shouldnt have to use battery saving mode, and even that doesnt really give the desired results compared to otehr WP7 devices. With a bit of luck it is simply teething issues with the power consumption of the antennas.. hopefully.

Let me know how you get on testing the location services

Please use plain text.
tureluurtje

Disabling Location services saves battery life! But it must be better... cannot imagine that Nokia planned the comeback with such a battery performance....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kjmcintosh

I am on my second Nokia,

I have auto screen brightness off. and have disabled find my phone and background tasks

Took it off charge this morning at 7am surfed the web for 5 mins

listened for 20min with some music from the device on headphones

Get to work and the device is reporting 62% remaining

estimated time remaining 7hours

time since last charge 2hours

From the nokia Diagnostics

Voltage 3.814 V

Current (discharging ) 161mA

Full Charge Capacity 1511 mAh

remaining Charge Capacity 790 mAh

I really do hope they can sort this out. I thought my Iphone 4 had poor battery (especial after ios5) but this is a joke.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

Something I have noticed is that everyone has been commuting to work and noticed that the battery has dropped significantly.

Are you guys by any chance using the tube? (i.e no reception). It could be that the Lumia drains the battery much more than other phones trying to find a signal.

p.s I travel to uni every day using tube
Please use plain text.