Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 vs an Android phone

Counsellor

Lumia 800 vs an Android phone

Hi I am an Android fan & user. i cuurently own an HTC Desire S. but i have questions about your new Nokia Lumia 800:

1. from power down how fast is the startup?
2. is there a Notifications Bar-type of interface wherein you can control Silence/Airplane Mode/Bluetooth/Wifi/GPS/Wifi hotspot/Mobile network/Settings all in one? (and be able to add + edit that notifications bar?)
3. in photos can you easily make an enitire photo (Jpeg or Gif) into a background wallpaper? (like Android)
4. how many "homescreens" does your Nokia Lumia 800 have? does it have homscreens?
5. can you also download apps from the Ovi store? if not then when will this be active?
6. can you pinch-to-zoom the photos with ease?
7. how fast is the camera? (in-between taking photos) and how sensitive is the camera if its on a super bright sunny day or an indoor/outdoor night shots? extra features?
8. does the music player have preset and customisable equalizer settings? (or surround sound option,etc.)
9. can you add + edit Playlist on the fly and add songs to that playlist on the fly and on the phone itself?
10. is the microsSD card slot hot-swapable:confused:can i insert my card easily and seamlessly without maybe opening the entire back cover?) * like my HTC phone.
11. can i send ANY files via bluetooth?
12. can it play Divx (.avi) files?
13. is there a loudspeaker?
14. is there multitouch capability when browsing web pages? accelerometer?
15. tab browsing available?
16. is there a quick way to dial the keypad?
17. apps seems to be not in abundance. i'm a movie fan and an audiophile. can't even find a Divx player or a music player with loads of settings/equalizers setup and one with Dolby-enabled on it.

18. can i download Google apps as well?

please convince me that a Windows phone is the one for me...or based on my queries would a Symbian phone best suits me....? or stick to Android?

please advice...

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

Re: Lumia 800 vs an Android phone

[ Edited ]

1. Resonably fast. 

2.  There is a notification bar where you can turn silence on and off, but that is about it

3.  Yes. Under pictures you can long press on an image and choose as wall paper

4. There is no Homescreens, there is a Tile view and a programlist view
5. No, never. But you can download from Windows Market.
6.  Yes
7. Very fast,

8. No equalizer for now.

10. Windows Phone does not support SD cards, so no.
11. No, Lumia 800 does not have FTP BIP OPP that is needed for that
13. Yes
14. Yes
15. Yes
16. Yes, but dependds on what you think is quick
17. That is not a question, it's a statment 

18. What are Google apps?

Best way for you is to actually test the device and hold it in your hands. Then what is best for you ...hard to say.  I personally like it alot, but you cant realyl compare Andriod and windows Phone  feature for feature because they are completly diffrent systems.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
prowede

Lumia 800 is very fast if compare with Desire S

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

[ Edited ]

There is equalizer settings along with SRS sound enhancement option not in music player but in settings....sound effects menu

and currently its video player only supports .mp4 format.....but if you transfer .avi file through Zune then it will automatically convert it in compatible .mp4 file....

check this official Nokia Lumia 800 specs page for more information on Lumia 800's multimedia features

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_800/

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

10:

Just a comment on this. You have 25GB free online for this.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nurium

Where is the sounds effects menu?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Sarveshwar

You're looking for a lot of customisations. Android has that. An iOS, Symbian or Windows Phone - none can be compared to Android on that front. I have used iOS on idevices, Symbian v5 ^3, WP and Android.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

My worries & concerns are these:

1. Notifications Bar. in Android you just pull it down. with the Lumia 800 its probablly at least 1-2 more clicks. 

Winner: Android

2. Music options. when i tried the Lumia 800 in the shop i can't seem to find wherein you said there is an equalizer and SRS option. is there a music player app over Windows Marketplace where i can easily add playlist/edit playlist, add songs to playlist, delete songs on the playlist, change equalizers, surround sound option etc. all on-the-fly?

awaiting your reply...

3. bluetooth sending of files.

Winner: Android

4. Playing Divx files. if there is an app over on WM that can play .avi file then i'll be happy.

5. no sign of a microSD card slot or compatibility.  i could be wrong

6. microSIM. i prefer the traditional and more common SIM card

Winner: Android.

7. Android has more apps than Windows Marketplace

please advice further.....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
isader

personally like it alot, but you cant realyl compare Andriod and windows Phone. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alqi

Lumia 800 is really a good phone. One one hand, it is easy to use than Android phone which need high IQ people to understand how to use in short time.

On another hand, Lunia 800 design is very amazing than any of the phone in markets. A huge number of peoples love this design.

Even for applications, Window phone market has more and more good applications with good quality than Android. Android applications quantity is huge, but the quality is bad.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cpim2004

Lumia 800 is to expensive for WP phone, Samsung already made USD49.99 phone with operator.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

cpim2004 wrote:
Lumia 800 is to expensive for WP phone, Samsung already made USD49.99 phone with operator.

Note that the price an operator sell the phone at does not reflect the actual device price. The operstor subsidies for the phone price you pay through the phone bill.

The operator's can do it with any phone, if they wish, including the Lumia 800.

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi Gino to compare with other non-microsoft OS equipped Nokias

Symbian S^3/Ana

1) press/click top right corner of your screen to go to your connections-settings and/or power-saving. For missed calls etc. simply use the Notifications-widget.

2) Music player has an equaliser option.

winner: Symbian

3) You can send and recieve everything. You can even use your PC's bluetooth file explorer to explore, copy and delete from phone. OVI-software can even sync over bleutooth. A C7-00  has NFC to initiate file-transfers between other NFC-enabled phones.

You can even use webDAV (AKA networkstations or webfolders) if you have e.g. win XP professional and install IIS. Or simple windows shares with 3rd party apps e.g. myExplorer.

4) Standard video-player can play divx WITH subtitles

5) certain Symbian devices have both big internal storage (N8/E7 - 16GB, C7-00 - 8GB) and microSD slot (N8/C7 but not E7) . Also at install you can choose where apps and games have to be installed + you can set (even in OVI-software) your prefered storage location.

Apps don't need to be specifically adapted like in android.

winner: symbian 

6) Symbian phones currently use standard SIM-cards.

7) Symbian has more apps then windows Phone. Downloadable to phone with or without PC sync-software (even over bleutooth or wifi) 

If you need more advise. Just ask. ;-) 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Manu_T,

Thank you for replying but me thinks in almost all fronts you are wrong.

1. Bluetooth issue. once i went to a UK high-street phone shop. nothing on the phone that can enable it to send ANY file (wallpaper, ringtone,etc.) via bluetooth.

2. Equalizer issue. i must admit i didn't see any EQ setting on the Lumia 800. but are there any music player app on the Windows Marketplace or even Ovi Store that can top an Android or iOS music player app that has SRS & Dolby-enabled/built-in into it? i don't think so! built-in phone EQ's tend to be so-so and the only "extra" features normally present is a stereo widening or "surround" sound option. and it ends there.

3. no proper Notifications bar unlike Symbian Belle, Android or iOS. to turn off something it has to be at least 1-2 clicks more. 

4. Divx issue. i think this has to be a tie. as most Android phones can now play Divx files anyway

5. SIM cards again you are wrong. the Lumis 800 uses a micro SIM. (maybe try one yourself or look at the Nokia website?)

6. Android has more great/free/paid apps than the Win Marketplace or even Ovi Store which is not even accessible on the Lumia.

oh and Android does tablets as well. sure we have heard of "fragmentation" issues but Google is aware and is doing something about it though.

aww.....too bad. such a high expectation. but such a disappointment.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

gino_76ph wrote:

Hi Manu_T,

Thank you for replying but me thinks in almost all fronts you are wrong.

Maybe if you read his reply more carefully you will notice that it is based on NON-WP Nokia handsets and NOT on what the Lumia can or cannot do.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Reading your posts, I am begining to doubt your true intentions. I dont think you ever had the slightest of the notions to purchase a Lumia and are just trolling
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I am not a troll. and this thread is ALL about the Lumia 800. and NOT non-WP ones.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
woodstock555

dude wp is no where near the features of android, it has a different ethos, it easy to use and all interconected. Thats why @Manu_T listed some of the fetures in symbian anna\bella, the other OS nokia uses
as this has all of the featcher set of andoid + some extra. Ice cream will bring it almost up the the same level it just need proxy puport. Your last two posts where rude, i trust u miss read!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
woodstock555

If these are importand to you than u should stick with android as it has much more developer suport and many more big web servies!
Please use plain text.