Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

tom_billows
Accepted Solution

Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

had my phone for 3 days now, i noticed that charging it was kinda annoying from a dead phone, last night it died and i was going to do a full charge cycle, i put it on change before i went to bed, it vibrated to say its connect and i left it, woke up this morning unplugged and it wouldnt turn on so i left it a couple of minutes and tryed again still nothing, i tryed plugging it to my computer and it came up saying i need some drivers and need to formatt the phone i ignored it, the battery symbol came up then the vodafone screen left it for a while then tryed turning it on again and nothing just black, not vibes or nothing, now i dont even get a vibe when i plug it into my my computer or power soruce....

anyone know ?

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then let go. Now try turning it on
Please use plain text.
tom_billows

no respose, hard reset dont work either

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danb

I had the same thing yesterday. It took about half an hour of panic before it came back to life again. What did it for me was taking the charger in and out a few times and holding the power switch in between. Most of the time it didn't work, but then eventually it did.

Not great though!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mangosteen

Yeah. This happened to me about 36 hours after I bought the unit.

At the moment I'm still waiting for the store I bought it from to tell me that they do have the unit in stock so I can exchange it.

What happened with mine was the following:

- I noticed that there was no data connection on my phone (wifi or over the phone network)

- Then I wanted to reset the wifi, but when I tapped on Wifi settings, nothing happened

- I turned of my phone

- The phone wouldn't switch back on and charging it did nothing

Over the past few days (still waiting for that exchange), I tried different things such as pressing the different combinations of the buttons. 

I haven't figured out what exactly worked (and I'm still sure my phone is defective because its wifi go berserk from time to time and whenever I turned it off it takes some divine intervention for it to switch back on).

But try the following (and combinations of):

- Unplug and replug the phone to the cord that's connected to the charger (this is a recommendation from Nokia itself regarding the problem of phone won't charge). When it does work, you'll notice about a second or two after you replug it the phone would vibrate. When it does, just leave for a few seconds and it should switch itself back on or at least show the level of charge of the battery.

- Pressing the power button for 8 seconds will restart the power cycle (according to Nokia). So that also could work.

- I read somewhere off the forums that pressing a combination of VolumeDown+Power+Camera will reset the phone... I'm not really sure that it does

- Press the camera button for a while... I have no scientific proof for this, but I found that sometimes it does restart the phone..

At the end of the day.. I think you should go for an exchange/refund. Nokia still hasn't make any statement about this nor about its WiFi issues... But judging from the forums.. I'm sure we're not the only ones. My the defect is still undetected so our exchanges units will have the same issue... but well here's to hoping it is just a problem with Quality Assurance... 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mangosteen

By the way.. all these made me very dissapointed.. almost sad. I almost felt like a parent who was so sure of their children's innocence only to find out that they are guilty and evil.

Hahaha.. It'll be interesting what they will say in the next few months.
Please use plain text.
VenStar

Is it possible to charge the phone whilst it is completely switched off? In my case everytime I plug in the charger (with the phone off) it would switch on, sometimes showing for a brief moment the empty battery icon.

This is the first time I see a phone that wouldn't stay off while charging, is this a specific Nokia/Microsoft feature or is my phone defective?

Anyone else has this behavior.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

It's not defective, that's the way it works.

Please use plain text.
Its_Me_

i had the same problem.
i tried to plug and unplug the phone again and again on the charger. after 2 h the phone turned on. the akku didn't load in this 2 h.

Tomorror i'll get a new one, 'cause i exchange the nokia.

what a pity!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mangosteen

Yeah.. as soon as the device has enough power to turn on.. It turns on. I couldn't really think why.. but I don't exactly have a complain either. It's good enough that it charges hahaha.

The people at the retail store where I exchanged my Lumia800 at told me to never leave the phone charged overnight. And to never let it completely drained out of battery.

All these precautions about battery almost sound like urban myth. It's like who's gonna keep watch of your phone while it's charging? Considering the battery goes dead in just about a day, am I expected to wake up early or go to bed late ?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pickled_pearce

FOUND A FIX

Because the battery drops bellow 0% its not enough to power itself to detect charge, connect the charger, then either hold it in your hands so it heats up or use something to give it a bit of heat, and you will feel it vibrate.

Because battery life increases with tempreture

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

just had the same problem.

If the rumour of if it dies completley it does not have enough battery to recognise the fact you have plugged it in surely there should be a fail safe! like it automaticly turns off at 2% even 1%!

no point having battery saving options.

please get this sorted it is hugely frustrating!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dazza007

Just had this happen to me.

After reading previous posts I took the charger out of top of phone whilst holding in the power button, after doing this twice (keeping the power button in all the while) the phone turned on.

Bloody annoying nokia - please sort thid out.

Big D

Krisilmor wrote:

If the rumour of if it dies completley it does not have enough battery to recognise the fact you have plugged it in surely there should be a fail safe! like it automaticly turns off at 2% even 1%!

Krisilmor wrote:

Please use plain text.
P_T_R

My Lumia froze while taking a picture. I turned it off and it won't power on anymore. I have tried "the solution" for too many times now – no help. 

I just got the device - I'm really disappointed.

Please use plain text.
AndreaG

I have the same issue. When my Lumia switches off because it runs totally out of battery power, there is no way to turn it on again.

With the phones I had so far, it was enouch to plug them into recharger, ad they were "ready to work", at least to receive calls.

With the Lumia, all I can do is plug it into the battery charger and wait...
It happened to me twice in two weeks, and I spent two full days w/o my business phone.
...and I had to wait for hours before it accepted to switch on again!

pickled_pearce writes in the "Combination of Lumia 800 issues - rather annoying" discussion, that if "the battery drops bellow 0% its not enough to power itself to detect charge". Then he recommends to "connect the charger, then either hold it in your hands so it heats up or use something to give it a bit of heat, and you will feel it vibrate".

I am puzzled. In both cases my Lumia resumed operating only after driving home from office. During the trip the Lumia was standing on its holder, right in front of the car air vent, with the heating on.

Is it possible that the Lumia really requires to be heated up, to resume operation after running out of battery power?

Ghost, what will I do in summer, when the car ventilation is set on cooling?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

AndreaG wrote:
Is it possible that the Lumia really requires to be heated up, to resume operation after running out of battery power?

If you warm up a fully depleted battery because it excites the molecules you will get a bit more power released just for a short period, which might perhaps be sufficient to kick start device; it is however not to be recommended as could so easily damage plastics within the device.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Yakkob

WOW... That is EXACTLY what happened to me just with the wifi!!
I turned it off and it wouldn't come back on. Plugged it into the wall charger for 2 minutes.. nothing.
Plugged it into my laptop and I got a vibration, then a pic of the battery with a low red line.
I left it and touched a screen a coup;le of times and the battery showed up again.
10 minutes abd it sprung back to life on it's own> When it came back up, my wifi was connected, and my battery was showing 34%. I know my battery wasn't depleted as I'd charged it up earlier.
I'm a bitg worried now as this is the 2nd phone in 3 days. I returned the first one as the battery lasted 2 hours. This has been performing great, but my confidence has gone again with it. I hope.. I REALLY hope that this is a software issue and it can be fixed with an update.. Pleas NOKIA if you're listening/reading please get back to us and let us know the score. This phone when it's working is the best phone I've used... period.
I'm praying for a software fix.
Please use plain text.
funguykk

I believe this is how Li-ion batteries work. They have some protection circuit that doesn't allow the battery to supply power below a certain threshold. I think the solution would be to plug in the charger and try to start the device after 5-10 minutes of charging.
Please use plain text.
KoopsF

Yeah!

I've got the L800 for almost a week now and had this stressful situation two. After a fully discharge followed by a fully charge the phone wouldn't Startup or anything. I'm not really sure how I solved it, but the importand this is that it is.

So.. yeah, still a strange problem though.

Please use plain text.
boris42

Exactly the same thing has just happened to me!  Aargh!

Had the phone for one week.

I got the 80072FA8 error synchronising email, and looked that up online.  It said network issues are to blame, and I noticed I had no WiFi connected (it normally connects automatically).  I clicked on the WiFi icon in Settings and nothing happened - the button just pressed and bounced back again.  Bluetooth worked fine.  As it was a new phone I'd been keeping the Battery Saver page from Settings open, and I know I had around 40% battery level left, according to that page.  I turned the phone off to try to fix the WiFi with a reboot, and now the phone won't turn on again!

8-(

Please use plain text.