Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

Professor

[ Edited ]

Only suggestions I can offer....

Make sure you are using the supplied USB charger as older Nokia chargers don't always have enough power.

Try a battery reset (hold down power key and volume key and wait for 3 buzzes from the vibra)

Change the USB cable in case it is damaged and check that the USB connection on the phone side looks OK.

Failing that it is back to Nokia care.

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

[ Edited ]

Seems like a fairly common issue:

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979

Self-help most likely will not fix the underlying root cause/problem.

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply and the link to the other thread. Have tried all the combinations of charger, cable, laptop USB etc to no avail for over 3 hours.

Had the following Twitter discussion (@TimCreswick) with @NokiaHelps:

@NokiaHelps @nokia_uk My Lumia 800 died this morning. Details here /t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-Completely-Dead/td-p/1272955 I presume you want me to return it to @Phones4u?

@TimCreswick so before attempting to switch on the device. The device will vibrate when it has enough power. Let me know how that goes ^LA

@NokiaHelps Pls look at the link (/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-Completely-Dead/td-p/1272955) Already had it hooked up to power supply for >1hr. Batt was 50% just before it died.

@TimCreswick to solve this issuem after 10 mins hold down power button for 8 secs, do you have the cable at hand? ^LA

@NokiaHelps Yes has been plugged into my laptop using the original cable for 20 mins. Holding power button for 8-10 seconds does nothing...

@TimCreswick Hi, Keep trying periodically, it should vibrate and then come back on. ^HM

@NokiaHelps been trying exactly that every 20-30 mins for last 3 hours. In the mean time, I can't make/receive calls.

@TimCreswick Hey Tim, sorry about that, best thing would be return your device to place of purchase as soon as possible. ^LA

Maybe that helps someone. In the mean time I'm going to take it back and get an exchange.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
VoodooKing

[ Edited ]

At the moment, the battery readout is unreliable. Even though it shows you a 50% charge and that you can't start it up, the battery's really at 0%.

Do not connect it to the laptop USB. It takes a long while for the phone to start.

Connect it to the wall socket and it should start up in a few minutes.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
testNick

I also have the same issue... Heating it up sounded like a great idea, but it doesn't seem to work since I had been holding it for 20min before the battery died, so essentially it was heated at that time...

So much for high quality finnish engineering... As a finn I feel embarrased.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
d3kst3r

Same thing just happened on my phone yesterday evening. Very disappointed with my decision at this point, from rattling camera button, to poor battery life, instances where it wont turn on, no ease of access enable the reading of the caller ID on incoming calls, problems with contact entries not showing up on profile and the list goes on. This experience with Nokia is a lesson learned for me.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jokerrr

Don't know if it helps or not but my phone wouldn't turn on so i plugged it into the laptop and and then held the power button for 10 seconds, the laptop would beep to acknowledge the phone was connected when it turned on, it would then charge when plugged into the laptop and it turned back on again (: not sure if having it plugged into the laptop helped or not but it worked so yeah :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MarkyPygmy

Nokia, can we have a sw update please to stop the phone from allowing the battery to run down so low?

This is a problem for people I know on an almost daily basis and we have paid a lot of money for these phones. It is very scary when a user thinks they have completely hosed their new mobile!

Thanks,

Mark

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

FWIW, my replacement Lumia 800 powers on and charges just fine. At least so far. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yumcha

HOLY MOTHER OF....

Okay so I bought mine a few days ago...and it has done the same...i charged it...then the phone automatiucally turned on...so I turned it off, so I heard taht it is better to charge the phone while turned off...

I won't up this morning and it won't turn on...did what all of you discussed and nothing..BUT I did what someone here mentioned as a last resort..I tried heating it a little bit and waited a minute and I tried a different nokia charger I had...and WAH-BAM!!!!...IT TURNED ON...A LITTLE VIBRATION AND IT SHOWED NO BATTERY SIGNAL...AND THEN IT TURNED ON...

Now we will see what happesns in the next couple days...because I bought this in HK and I have now flown back to Vancouver...I will have to mail this back to Hong Kong if anything needs to be done which is a HUGE inconvenience....

Thanks for all the worries Nokia...as I have been a loyal user for many years...

Please use plain text.
lillypad00

i also have this same problem. it has happened at least 4 times in the last 3 months. so decided to never let power get low by charging every night, but it did it again today baterey not that low? has taken me 4 hours to get it to power up have no idea what finaly worked. love the phone but this problem is insane!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aKa_Probe

I had at least 35% battery left the temperature of the device wasnt cold and when i turned off 3G connection and wanted to switch to wifi it wouldnt select wifi and then turned off, its meant to be a smart phone not a phone that needs alphabetti spaghetti to learn! Lumia800 makes everyday great **bleep**! Nokia you made a phone with a **bleep** battery life and you need to fix it SIMPLE!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aKa_Probe

I had at least 35% battery left the temperature of the device wasnt cold and when i turned off 3G connection and wanted to switch to wifi it wouldnt select wifi and then turned off, its meant to be a smart phone not a phone that needs alphabetti spaghetti to learn! Lumia800 makes everyday great Yeah Right. Nokia you made a phone with a Useless battery life and you need to fix it SIMPLE!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mokepup

Sad to say... one more bites the dust.  T mobile customer service has varied in its responsiveness. One agent was great another was insisting I reuse my micro sim into my old phone and would not listen. I am still on the phone and it has been over an hour.  After reading all these issues I am reconsidering giving Nokia a second or should I say third chance.. my husband had an issue trying to upgrade to the Nokia astound.  This phone had such great reviews and I reallly wanted it but.....now.... getting cold feet and T mobile is not making it easy.  One agent said it would take 72 hours for my old sim to reactivate while I await the swap , this current agent says ...24 hours OR I can go to a shop and BUY a new sim for $20!!!!

At least the first agent gave me an account credit for having to mail back the phone.. why 

I was just disconnected while waiting for a supervisor... prior to that I was asked to be called back but that never happens so I told them I would hold and then conveniently an oops!!! AT least I am telling you all about it so it makes me feel better.

Please use plain text.
Kiwi_wi

[ Edited ]

Hi folks,

As mentioned in the title, my lumia 800 won't turn on anymore. I tried all key combination / duration, both connected and not connected to the computer or charger, and it's not giving sign of life.

The battery was FULL at the last moment I've seen it alive. And it's even not recognised by Zune.

Yesterday I had the same problem after I turned it off because the WiFi wasn't working anymore. But then after many attempts I was able to revive it. But today seems to be not so good.

I was just starting to be happy after the battery fix with the last update, but now I'm feeling more and more angry at nokia. The phone is only 3 weeks old... GRRRR

And I must mention that I'm not an isolated case. I've seen many users on forums with the same issue, or a related one. 

Do you think I have to go straight to a nokia Care point ? Or try something else. I would be angry to loose all my datas and apps... 

Cheers,

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TerdRatchett

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my 710 and it's my second one in a week.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
empathyvirus

[ Edited ]

Apparently this issue has been plaguing the new Lumia 800. I had someone bring in a brand new cyan one from Hong Kong just a few days ago. And it died on me 20 minutes ago when it showed the battery was still half full. I plugged it in for a long time to no avail. Panicked a little and thank god I googled it and found the info from all of you guys suffering from the same issue. The three key holding down reset worked on mine. It restarted. However, this is unacceptable. Nokia should come up with a software fix quick before we all switch to other phones for good. They really should take good care of the not so many hardcore fans they have left.   

Please use plain text.
sbop

It's been 4 weeks now that I brought my suddenly-dead-for-no-apparent-reason Lumia 800 to a Nokia Care Center, and I am still waiting for the replacement unit. This is insane. Nokia does not seem to care. (direct in-store replacement wasn't possible)

Any ideas on what I could do? I called, emailed, complained.. nada. All I know is that it will be replaced; but when?

I bought the phone 2 months ago, could use it for 2 weeks..The other 6 weeks I basically lost money because of this, i.e. for my data plan that I cannot use without the phone; for a new sim-card because the micro-sim cannot be used in my old phone; driving to, calling, mailing the care center etc.

nokia really sucks (wp7 rocks though)!

One possibility I am thinking of is to sell the replacement unit on ebay and buy a HTC Radar or something...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kev1967

Same thing has happened to me!

At the end of a typical day I had 50% battery left,  so plugged in the usb charger got the ta da ding confirmation sound and the phone started charging. Whilst charging I decided to listen to some music, after 10 mins the phone just died.

This has happened before, but not whilst being charged.

I swapped to my iphone charger and still nothing, so decided to leave the phone on charge overnight, but phone still dead in the morning and cold. Normally the phone gets warm whilst charging.

I then thought I had a faulty phone, googled and came across this discussion.

Whilst on charge no amount of button pressing worked, BUT LOZ23's advice about plugging it in to a PC and doing the Devices and Printers troubleshooting did.

I've flattened the battery again and again, no amount of button pressing whilst on charge has ever worked, only by connecting to a PC and doing the Devices and Printers trick seems to work.

I suspect this might not just an issue with the Lumia, if you do some googling there are problems generally with WP7 rebooting after a dead battery.

Please use plain text.
Goonerchamp

I've tried everything previously stated - I can't see how the printers and devices troubleshooting trick works? - when I plug the phone into the pc running windows 7 the phone itself does not appear in the devices list so Im unsure which one you click to troubleshoot - Im a Mac man and using my parents PC so Im not familiar fully it - anyone have a dumbed down step by step guide? - Im loathe to send my phone off as the nearest shop is closed today and Im at the moment stuck using an old phone that has no contacts on it - back to the stone age for me at the moment I guess 

thanks in advance C.

Please use plain text.