Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

Contributor
d3kst3r

Same thing just happened on my phone yesterday evening. Very disappointed with my decision at this point, from rattling camera button, to poor battery life, instances where it wont turn on, no ease of access enable the reading of the caller ID on incoming calls, problems with contact entries not showing up on profile and the list goes on. This experience with Nokia is a lesson learned for me.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jokerrr

Don't know if it helps or not but my phone wouldn't turn on so i plugged it into the laptop and and then held the power button for 10 seconds, the laptop would beep to acknowledge the phone was connected when it turned on, it would then charge when plugged into the laptop and it turned back on again (: not sure if having it plugged into the laptop helped or not but it worked so yeah :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MarkyPygmy

Nokia, can we have a sw update please to stop the phone from allowing the battery to run down so low?

This is a problem for people I know on an almost daily basis and we have paid a lot of money for these phones. It is very scary when a user thinks they have completely hosed their new mobile!

Thanks,

Mark

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

FWIW, my replacement Lumia 800 powers on and charges just fine. At least so far. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yumcha

HOLY MOTHER OF....

Okay so I bought mine a few days ago...and it has done the same...i charged it...then the phone automatiucally turned on...so I turned it off, so I heard taht it is better to charge the phone while turned off...

I won't up this morning and it won't turn on...did what all of you discussed and nothing..BUT I did what someone here mentioned as a last resort..I tried heating it a little bit and waited a minute and I tried a different nokia charger I had...and WAH-BAM!!!!...IT TURNED ON...A LITTLE VIBRATION AND IT SHOWED NO BATTERY SIGNAL...AND THEN IT TURNED ON...

Now we will see what happesns in the next couple days...because I bought this in HK and I have now flown back to Vancouver...I will have to mail this back to Hong Kong if anything needs to be done which is a HUGE inconvenience....

Thanks for all the worries Nokia...as I have been a loyal user for many years...

Please use plain text.
lillypad00

i also have this same problem. it has happened at least 4 times in the last 3 months. so decided to never let power get low by charging every night, but it did it again today baterey not that low? has taken me 4 hours to get it to power up have no idea what finaly worked. love the phone but this problem is insane!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aKa_Probe

I had at least 35% battery left the temperature of the device wasnt cold and when i turned off 3G connection and wanted to switch to wifi it wouldnt select wifi and then turned off, its meant to be a smart phone not a phone that needs alphabetti spaghetti to learn! Lumia800 makes everyday great **bleep**! Nokia you made a phone with a **bleep** battery life and you need to fix it SIMPLE!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aKa_Probe

I had at least 35% battery left the temperature of the device wasnt cold and when i turned off 3G connection and wanted to switch to wifi it wouldnt select wifi and then turned off, its meant to be a smart phone not a phone that needs alphabetti spaghetti to learn! Lumia800 makes everyday great Yeah Right. Nokia you made a phone with a Useless battery life and you need to fix it SIMPLE!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mokepup

Sad to say... one more bites the dust.  T mobile customer service has varied in its responsiveness. One agent was great another was insisting I reuse my micro sim into my old phone and would not listen. I am still on the phone and it has been over an hour.  After reading all these issues I am reconsidering giving Nokia a second or should I say third chance.. my husband had an issue trying to upgrade to the Nokia astound.  This phone had such great reviews and I reallly wanted it but.....now.... getting cold feet and T mobile is not making it easy.  One agent said it would take 72 hours for my old sim to reactivate while I await the swap , this current agent says ...24 hours OR I can go to a shop and BUY a new sim for $20!!!!

At least the first agent gave me an account credit for having to mail back the phone.. why 

I was just disconnected while waiting for a supervisor... prior to that I was asked to be called back but that never happens so I told them I would hold and then conveniently an oops!!! AT least I am telling you all about it so it makes me feel better.

Please use plain text.
sbop

It's been 4 weeks now that I brought my suddenly-dead-for-no-apparent-reason Lumia 800 to a Nokia Care Center, and I am still waiting for the replacement unit. This is insane. Nokia does not seem to care. (direct in-store replacement wasn't possible)

Any ideas on what I could do? I called, emailed, complained.. nada. All I know is that it will be replaced; but when?

I bought the phone 2 months ago, could use it for 2 weeks..The other 6 weeks I basically lost money because of this, i.e. for my data plan that I cannot use without the phone; for a new sim-card because the micro-sim cannot be used in my old phone; driving to, calling, mailing the care center etc.

nokia really sucks (wp7 rocks though)!

One possibility I am thinking of is to sell the replacement unit on ebay and buy a HTC Radar or something...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kev1967

Same thing has happened to me!

At the end of a typical day I had 50% battery left,  so plugged in the usb charger got the ta da ding confirmation sound and the phone started charging. Whilst charging I decided to listen to some music, after 10 mins the phone just died.

This has happened before, but not whilst being charged.

I swapped to my iphone charger and still nothing, so decided to leave the phone on charge overnight, but phone still dead in the morning and cold. Normally the phone gets warm whilst charging.

I then thought I had a faulty phone, googled and came across this discussion.

Whilst on charge no amount of button pressing worked, BUT LOZ23's advice about plugging it in to a PC and doing the Devices and Printers troubleshooting did.

I've flattened the battery again and again, no amount of button pressing whilst on charge has ever worked, only by connecting to a PC and doing the Devices and Printers trick seems to work.

I suspect this might not just an issue with the Lumia, if you do some googling there are problems generally with WP7 rebooting after a dead battery.

Please use plain text.
Goonerchamp

I've tried everything previously stated - I can't see how the printers and devices troubleshooting trick works? - when I plug the phone into the pc running windows 7 the phone itself does not appear in the devices list so Im unsure which one you click to troubleshoot - Im a Mac man and using my parents PC so Im not familiar fully it - anyone have a dumbed down step by step guide? - Im loathe to send my phone off as the nearest shop is closed today and Im at the moment stuck using an old phone that has no contacts on it - back to the stone age for me at the moment I guess 

thanks in advance C.

Please use plain text.
davepermen

For me, putting it onto the radiator instantly worked. just put it on there and it booted. very sad.
Please use plain text.
N3croman

[ Edited ]

Same problem here - Black Lumia 800 from Austrian operator A1, WiFi was not working, can't get to WiFi settings, tried restart, phone wont start after turning off. And that all with the latest OS 7.10.8107!

So what now? Should I try the button/(dis)connecting magic? Should I wait, or go ahead into hard reset? What about the heating hint?

Edit: Solved using this guide I found somewhere:

You can reset Lumia even if it is dead and there are two ways.

SOFT RESET: hold together power button and volume down button, few second after the phone will vibrate and turn on. All of your data on the phone will still be there. (this is the same as if you would in other phones remove the battery). IT WORKED FOR ME.

HARD RESET: hold together power button, volume down button and camerra button, this will reset the phone and ERESE ALL DATA and put your Lumia in factory mode. I hope you will not be forced to do this.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
happytoon

[ Edited ]

Same here, my battery ran out last night and only managed to restart the phone this afternoon at 14:30 !!!

I left the phone connected to the USB power supply that came with the phone for the whole morning, nothing but the battery with the low battery picture... the phone will not start, and won't charge, whatever button combination etc...

BUT... when I connected it on my laptop via a USB cable, nothing, (not even the battery sign)... I change the USB port on the latpop by plugging the cable onto a different port and the miracle happened !!!:smileyhappy:

Phone vibrated, low battery sign AND about 5 minute later the phone vibrated again, a bit longer this time and, Hallelujah !!! , it came back to life on its own...
I now have a started phone with Battery status at 1%...

As soon as I unplug it, dead... tried the phone charger again... no start, no charge... tried the Laptop USB port (the same one) same, low battery followed by long vibration and restart !!!

In my case, no need to for device and printer trick, just unplug and replug USB cable to a different port... I guess not all ports on my laptop deliver the same power!!!... I've notice that before with other USB devices.

CHARGE ON PC/LAPTOP USB - not on the provided USB Power Charger !!!

I had the same issue with my old N97, won't charge on USB but will charge on power supply only, when totally dead)...

Good luck with resuscitating your Lumia !

Please use plain text.
Criss84

[ Edited ]

Your advices didn't work at all... Totally dead! Just bought it 3 days ago. Did not even had time to install all the necessary apps... Massive frustration!

Please use plain text.
Cray78

[ Edited ]

Same problem here. Phone died, all tips doesn't work :smileysad:

Befor the phone died, i have the wlan bug.

Please use plain text.
gholloway

This is poor, why should i need to make several attempts to power on the phone to get it going, holding down the power button whilst plugging in and out the charger several times is NOT a solution, how can this thread possibly be classed as SOLVED. Its an insult.

Please use plain text.
Cray78

[ Edited ]

Problem is not solved.

The Nokia-Shop (orig. Nokia-Shop/Supportcenter in Germany) checked the phone, nothing, dead. The phone gone to the Nokia-Support. Think i became a new Lumia 800.

Bad, all files and dates lost :smileysad:

Nokia, please make the Lumia 800 stable. Now it is Beta :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
petermunnings

Same problem. Tried to connect to a new wifi hotspot. Wouldn't open wifi under settings - just went back to the home page - wifi got turned off. Tried again, same problem.

Switched the phone off by holding down the power button and sliding the screen down. Got a pleasant "good bye" - and then NOTHING. No amount of button pushing would bring it back to life. Tried all combinations of buttons for many numbers of seconds (well more than 10)

Got home and found this thread. Held down the power button and plugged in the usb power. In - out - in - out - in ....vrrrr - got a vibration. Phew.

Clicked the power button another vibration and on came the phone. As happy as ever. Charge sitting at 54%.

Nothing worse than looking at a beautiful, silky smooth, dead phone.

My wife also has a nokia lumia 800 and no problems.

Its obviously a real problem, and seems to be limited to a few physical phones (i had the latest firmware installed). Perhaps Ben the PC guy should be handing out lumia 800s (or 910s even better) to unhappy nokia users rather than unhappy android users.

I must say - apart from this frustration, I love the phone - it is an amazing phone.
Please use plain text.