Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

davepermen

For me, putting it onto the radiator instantly worked. just put it on there and it booted. very sad.
Please use plain text.
N3croman

[ Edited ]

Same problem here - Black Lumia 800 from Austrian operator A1, WiFi was not working, can't get to WiFi settings, tried restart, phone wont start after turning off. And that all with the latest OS 7.10.8107!

So what now? Should I try the button/(dis)connecting magic? Should I wait, or go ahead into hard reset? What about the heating hint?

Edit: Solved using this guide I found somewhere:

You can reset Lumia even if it is dead and there are two ways.

SOFT RESET: hold together power button and volume down button, few second after the phone will vibrate and turn on. All of your data on the phone will still be there. (this is the same as if you would in other phones remove the battery). IT WORKED FOR ME.

HARD RESET: hold together power button, volume down button and camerra button, this will reset the phone and ERESE ALL DATA and put your Lumia in factory mode. I hope you will not be forced to do this.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
happytoon

[ Edited ]

Same here, my battery ran out last night and only managed to restart the phone this afternoon at 14:30 !!!

I left the phone connected to the USB power supply that came with the phone for the whole morning, nothing but the battery with the low battery picture... the phone will not start, and won't charge, whatever button combination etc...

BUT... when I connected it on my laptop via a USB cable, nothing, (not even the battery sign)... I change the USB port on the latpop by plugging the cable onto a different port and the miracle happened !!!:smileyhappy:

Phone vibrated, low battery sign AND about 5 minute later the phone vibrated again, a bit longer this time and, Hallelujah !!! , it came back to life on its own...
I now have a started phone with Battery status at 1%...

As soon as I unplug it, dead... tried the phone charger again... no start, no charge... tried the Laptop USB port (the same one) same, low battery followed by long vibration and restart !!!

In my case, no need to for device and printer trick, just unplug and replug USB cable to a different port... I guess not all ports on my laptop deliver the same power!!!... I've notice that before with other USB devices.

CHARGE ON PC/LAPTOP USB - not on the provided USB Power Charger !!!

I had the same issue with my old N97, won't charge on USB but will charge on power supply only, when totally dead)...

Good luck with resuscitating your Lumia !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thesedays74

[ Edited ]

Hold camera and volume buttons down, and the press the power button. Hold for a few seconds and release. 

Do this a few times and it will boot back up and recover.

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
Criss84

[ Edited ]

Your advices didn't work at all... Totally dead! Just bought it 3 days ago. Did not even had time to install all the necessary apps... Massive frustration!

Please use plain text.
Cray78

[ Edited ]

Same problem here. Phone died, all tips doesn't work :smileysad:

Befor the phone died, i have the wlan bug.

Please use plain text.
gholloway

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but my Lumia 800 is also not powering on, the battery icon appears when you connect it to a power outlet and will just sit there, normally it will begin to boot once there is enough battery resource to do so but it sat on charge last night for 8 hours and has done nothing, I've tried a different charger but the same happens, have also pressed and held the lock button for 10 seconds which does re-boot the phone and it vibrates but does not come on, again, just returns to the picture of the battery.

I’m very annoyed as I didn't have any problems until I installed the battery fix update.

Nokia, be forthcoming in your customer service, free warranty repair with free data recovery seeming you were not logical enough to give removable storage.

Graham.

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
gholloway

This is poor, why should i need to make several attempts to power on the phone to get it going, holding down the power button whilst plugging in and out the charger several times is NOT a solution, how can this thread possibly be classed as SOLVED. Its an insult.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maijay

[ Edited ]

I've experienced the issue of the phone seemingly dead bar a battery icon on the screen on quite a number of times now. Nokia support say its because I let the battery drain flat and the solution is to kick start the battery by plugging in the charger for 4-5 seconds, disconnecting and reattaching the charger to continue the charge.

Please use plain text.
shazza01

[ Edited ]

i found that by pluggin it into my lap top it vibrated. i then put the phone inside my clothes next to my skin and this seemed to warm it and it started up after bout 5mins

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

[ Edited ]

shazza01 wrote:
i found that by pluggin it into my lap top it vibrated. i then put the phone inside my clothes next to my skin and this seemed to warm it and it started up after bout 5mins

Temperature and climate and play and important factor in this. If it's completely dead it takes a while for it to charge back up again. This is a completely new phone for everyone we're gonna have to get used it and the way it works.

Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
Cray78

[ Edited ]

Problem is not solved.

The Nokia-Shop (orig. Nokia-Shop/Supportcenter in Germany) checked the phone, nothing, dead. The phone gone to the Nokia-Support. Think i became a new Lumia 800.

Bad, all files and dates lost :smileysad:

Nokia, please make the Lumia 800 stable. Now it is Beta :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
petermunnings

[ Edited ]

same problem.  tried to connect to wifi.  Went to settings, wifi and suddenly the wifi was off.  Switched the phone off got a polite "goodbye" and then nothing.

Managed to get it back on by holding the power button in and plugging the usb power in and out.

Happened again and managed to get it on by holding down the power, volume down and camera buttons.

Bit of a shock when your brand new phone just dies like that.  

Apart from that irritation I love the phone.  Its just about everything I'd want in a phone.  It seems to be a problem with a number of phones, but not all of them.  My wifes lumia 800 works perfectly.

Nokia - any comments?  What should one do?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
petermunnings

Same problem. Tried to connect to a new wifi hotspot. Wouldn't open wifi under settings - just went back to the home page - wifi got turned off. Tried again, same problem.

Switched the phone off by holding down the power button and sliding the screen down. Got a pleasant "good bye" - and then NOTHING. No amount of button pushing would bring it back to life. Tried all combinations of buttons for many numbers of seconds (well more than 10)

Got home and found this thread. Held down the power button and plugged in the usb power. In - out - in - out - in ....vrrrr - got a vibration. Phew.

Clicked the power button another vibration and on came the phone. As happy as ever. Charge sitting at 54%.

Nothing worse than looking at a beautiful, silky smooth, dead phone.

My wife also has a nokia lumia 800 and no problems.

Its obviously a real problem, and seems to be limited to a few physical phones (i had the latest firmware installed). Perhaps Ben the PC guy should be handing out lumia 800s (or 910s even better) to unhappy nokia users rather than unhappy android users.

I must say - apart from this frustration, I love the phone - it is an amazing phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
whiskey51

[ Edited ]

Soft reset did the trick for my Lumia 800- thanks to info on this forum

Soft reset - press power on and volume down buttons at same time

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JKDK

Tried evrything, nothing helped until I tried heating it up!

After only a few seconds in our fireplace, the phone started up, though I can't find the power button anymore...  ;-)

But now it's in the right place, the garbage can!

Please use plain text.
danbic

I am frustraded with Nokia. I had Nokia devices for a long time before my iPhone 3GS and I decided to give Nokia a chance again. I bought my Lumia 800, I ran out of battery and now I can not turn it on. Tried everything in this post. Oh my God, I wish I could buy an iPhone 4S and forget about this nightmare!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

Take it to Nokia Care Point

Please use plain text.
stewie_dxb

[ Edited ]

NokiaCare Points

http://europe.nokia.com/support/contact-us

Please use plain text.
gruffymax

I've had the same wifi problem. Battery is about 50%. Data stops working with full 3G signal and wifi. Switch off and then it won't switch on. After a few minutes of pressing allsorts it decides to wake up as if nothing ever went wrong! I've had the phone 2 weeks and its done it twice. I'm really hoping this gets sorted as I love the phone.

Please use plain text.