Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

Registered Member
petermunnings

Hi all

good news.  I updated the firmware to version 1600.2483.8107.11501 and I have a new phone. 

• Wifi problems - gone
  • Switching off and not switching back on - gone
  • Getting hot when charging - gone
  • Battery life went from about 6hrs from fully charged to phone suddenly dying - to well I'm not sure.  Charged it last night - been running for 11 hours with a lot of usage - and I have 54% remaining (18 hours according the battery saver screen)

For all of you who haven't done the update - you can do it through Zune (or the Mac Windows Phone 7 connector) or get it to a Nokia care centre.  I thought I had a dead phone - now I can't believe how well it works

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
beardyeye

been trying all of the things that have been said within this forum, and with my phone, the battery low status ocassionally appears, but with my issue, it has always kept vibrating, and nearly turning on, but it always stops turning on at the point  where NOKIA is displayed on the screen :smileysad: please help :smileysad: been trying for ages to try and get it on :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Have it repaired/replaced by a Nokia authorized repair/service center. Use the "Contact us" link at the top right on this page to locate one nearest you.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JCDammer

I updated too when it came out and ...

• Wifi problems - I never had any to start with
  • Switching off and not switching back on - Still there in fact occasionally worse
  • Getting hot when charging - still occasionally but whats worse it gets hot when on standby.
  • Battery life went from about 6hrs from fully charged to phone suddenly dying -Still there in fact happened yesterday almost exactly six hours and splat.

Was the update a fix ... nope I think not :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

[ Edited ]

So my Lumia 800 has just packed in whilst on charge (with the supplied A/C adaptor).

It suddenly stopped being able to open any apps, atempting that just left with a back screen with white 'loading' on.

Powered on an off, then the phone couldn't get any signal, and the app opening problem remained. Powered off, removed SIM and powered on. Phone shut itself down and has not powered on since.

Left it on charge for a could of hours, both USB and two mains adaptors, nothing. Tried button combinations, nothing.

It appears to be a brick.

Great.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
superadmin

Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

I bought my lumia 800 about 4 weeks ago. There was an incoming call. I wanted to call back, phone hang and i tried to turn off, ending call via touch pad was not possible. No phone does not turn on. accu was about 70% charged. This is my business phone and I can only say to nokia solve this problem as fast as possible. A smartphone is only as good as his basics. And a stable system with a good accu management is basic.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MarkRankin

Hello all - I have the same issue, however it appears to occur relatively infrequently - but whenit does it is incredibly frustrating.  I have expierenced the following since purchasing my Lumia 800 in November last year

• Turn wifi off, at some point later try to turn wifi back on but cannot open wifi settings.  Turn phone off but it won't restart untill some apparently random time later
  • Try to make outgoing call, phone "freezes" then force shutdown.  Once again phone will not restart untill some time later (approx 10-15 mins)
  • Phone crashes while connected to charger.  Once again will not restart for a while.

I have software release 7.10.8107.79.  Whilst this occurs infrequently when it does occur it is so incredibly frustrating - I would have expected some form of comment from Nokia by now on this matter as it would appear that it is not an uncommon issue.  Whilst I understand that problems like this can be at times hard to diagnose it has been a few months since launch and plenty of time to identify nd fix the issue - unless of course it is a fundamental design flaw.

Mark

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Today I had exactly the same issue: my phone died after running too low on battery. This happened during the afternoon and I could only plug it back on the power chord in the evening. After a while, I noticed that the phone was not charging (it was displaying the full screen battery symbol in red with no progress over 2 hours). I tried everything suggested here.

What worked for me is to unplug the phone, do a soft reset (holding on the power button for about 10s). Then while the phone was completely black, I plugged it in one of my computer USB ports. It was not detected by the PC, but I left it plugged anyway. After about 5min, when I thought nothing would happen, the phone suddenly vibrated and turned on. Now it's charging properly on the PC and I can even use it.

Still, such an issue is a shame!

Please use plain text.
mrankin

Hi - an update of sort.

I contacted Nokia support about two issues I am having.

1.  The seemingly random issue of not being able to turn the phone on sometimes and then it coming back to life at some time later

2.  A bug I can recreate 100% of the time where the phone crashes if I turn on power saving mode, then airplane mode, turn the phone off then back on again and try and disable airplane mode.

I first contacted them by email to which I got a "standard" reply telling me too reset to factory setting etc..No mention of any real recognition there was an issue.  NOT GOOD ENOUGH NOKIA - I would have expected at least some acknowledgment that my issues had been logged and will be addressed in future updates.

I then called Nokia support (it turns out this is outsourced) and told them about the two issues.  They at least took me a little more seriously and said they would report the issues to Nokia.  They also asked if I could send my phone in to be looked at - I replied only if Nokia send me a replacement phone first.  Needless to say the support chap was unable to do this.  I asked him for some formal response from Nokia about the "power on" issue and he told me he had no response.  I asked to speak to a supervisor or ideally someone at Nokia so I could be assured this issue was being dealt with as a matter of urgency - nothing.  I also pointed him to this thread to illustrate that quite a number of people are being affected.

NOKIA - I expect more from you if you are watching.  I expect a comment or an acknowledgment that there is an issue and a commitment to fix it ASAP - or dare I say it a product recall.  I like this phone when it works but it's not a lot of use if I can only randomly rely on it to turn on...

Mark

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arkiliknam

[ Edited ]

Gah!! I thought my short battery troubles were the worst of my Lumia 800 problems, but no... Now I have the "can't turn on my phone" problem.

NOKIA, I have the latest updates and my battery is still short lifed AND now I can't turn it on. What is going on? Fix your bugs or recall the model!

PS. The recently added feature of "Turn your phone into a heater when 3g is on" is not my favourite and kills my battery very quickly.

Please use plain text.
jonathan1984

[ Edited ]

I have an unlocked Lumia 800 with updated firmware - I accidentally discharged my phone, when I try to recharge it tries to power on, but fails. It freezes on the Nokia logo (just before the Windows Phone graphics). I've tried the "press power button" one multiple times. Right now it's displaying the low battery signal (this is the one with an outline of a battery, with a bit of red at the bottom). After a while of charging, it'll go to the above behavior. What's going on - should I just leave this overnight to recharge?

Please use plain text.
themill1972

It is a massive floor in the unit, I am on my 5th Lumia and NOKIA know this as the LUMIA 900 is due out anyday soon. . Many diffrent ways the phone die's on people, it then does a full battery drain and depending how much juice was in it depends how long its off for, as its all one unit you cant take the batt out for a second and place it back in like most phone's when they freeze.

Well Done Nokia !!!! :smileymad: 

Please use plain text.
hamphlet

I'm suffering with this problem (or something very similar) too. I put it on charge on Tuesday night, using Nokia's supplied charger. It had approx 30% charge left at that stage. On Wednesday morning it was dead. Over the last few days I've tried everything I can to get it working again. All of the suggestions in this thread & those I found on other forums have so far failed to be of any use. Currently after a small period of being hooked up to the charger it will spark into life, the Orange logo appears, then Nokia, then Windows Phone. At this point it then dies & starts all over again. This goes on ad infinitum in some sort of recurring loop. It's been very frustrating & my brief love affair with this most splendid of phones may be coming to an abrupt end. This morning I handed it into a Nokia Care Centre. They tried to spark it into life & failed. I'm glad they failed, I was worried they'd get it going & hand it straight back to me, only for the same thing to happen again next week. Now they're sending it back to Nokia. I'm hoping I get a new one which isn't susceptible to this kind of error.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ANTIABE

I have same problem after a few charghing. I was putting the charger in the phone for a few times and my phone has go to live again. I hope this is a minor problem there will be solved with a firmware update because lumia is a master piece phone and will be shame to change it

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slojes

Same problem here, Lumia 800 died during a call, apparently drained down to zero power. Then would not charge. Fortunately found this thread. After several tries with button pushing and plugging in and out of computer usb, I left it plugged in to computer and after about a minute got the vibration, then the battery symbol at red and it began charging. All seems fine now, it is charging up. Phone was a developer gift from Nokia. I really want to like this phone and Windows platform. This is a little bump in the road, I hope Nokia is on to a fix.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fuzzywuzzy

Hi, ive had my lumia for about 2 months now, went to chare it last night after fully depleted, got the vibration aknowlegement but when i got up this morning still woun=dnt turn on.its now been about 3 hours of trying all solutions metioned prior but to no avail.

Any more suggestions??

Please use plain text.
GreedyOak

@fuzzywuzzy

Hello I am in a similar situation; I've had the Lumia for about 3 months (on my 3rd lumia handset). Phone stopped working this morning, won't power up. I haven't had this issue since the last update in february and I'd assumed it was resolved until this morning. In the past; i would simply leave the phone on the charger for hours (sometimes over a day) until it decided to operate again. I've tried all the suggestions on the forum and those given by nokia support rep but nothing is working. This has been the worse experience with any phone i have ever owned. I am actually missing my iphone (atleast it powered on and off, irregardless of its faults). I like the windows phone experience, however, i am done with Nokia, ...... never again. When i get my phone fixed i will trade it in for a different windows phone.

Any suggestions for a better windows phone?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Same happened with me. The phone crashed, but then I restarted and switched off while charging over night. It didn't start in the morning. After a mad panic, I read this thread, and tried to recharge. I did this by unplugging the charger and putting it back in. The white battery symbol with red drain appeared. Left it for a while, still didn't start, but then connected to the MacBook and it sprung into life and showed the Orange welcome screen. Still hung at that. I re plugged in to the Mac, and then eventually it started normally with a low battery. Ironically,the software update appeared today and I'm now updating it. Panic over?
http://www.sassco.co.uk/ Soccer and basketball events in the UK and Europe.
http://www.sasscodesign.co.uk / Freelance website design service
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aquascene

Ever since the update last week, my Lumia 800 is stuck in a loop of constantly restarting. Nothing works, literally nothing. Tried every possible suggestion and can't get it repaired or replaced, as i got it free from Microsoft and it doesn't have a European warranty.

Thankfully i haven't sold my Samsung Omnia 7, so gone back to using that phone. At least it works.

At least the good news for me is i didn't buy the Lumia in the first place, definately won't be buying any Nokia phones ever again after this.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aquascene

Got some responce from the phone. It finally started while plugged into USB & went straight to a restore. Step 1 went fine, got to 100% and then onto Step 2: Restarting your phone.

This is where it failed miserably and returned to it's infinite restarting loop.

To get it to begin restoring i had to heat up the phone with a hairdryer to dangerous levels.
Please use plain text.