Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

awp4u

Yes I had a similar problem getting the phone to charge, actually left the phone charging overnight with about 10% charge and this morning had a flat battery. After 20 minutes of fussing and plugging it in leaving etc. it finally worked when plugging it into a non Nokia charger which is rated at 1 amp. This is a series issue given the number of views this thread has generated and the number of responeses. It is marked as solved but it isn't and I am amazed at the lack of an official response to this thread by Nokia, absolutely shame on you Nokia. So Nokia, assuming customers are important to you. Are you looking into this? Are our phones faulty? Is this really fixable and if so when can we expect a fix?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aquascene

awp4u, i definately agree. Nokia are doing nothing to take care of these very serious issues. They need to do a recall if they are to keep lifelong customers who are now leaving them.

I've gone back to using my old Samsung Omnia 7, it works a treat and does not have any such issues.
Please use plain text.
awp4u

aquascene: thanks for feedback. -------------------- I have been thinking more about this today. ------------------------ The issue maybe in the way the phone turns on when being charged and vibrates when doing so. I believe (the vibration uses quite a bit of battery power, maybe wrong?) and if so when you use low level chargers the thing does not have enough kick, in a way the phone is trying to f@rt (blow wind) and sneeze at the same time, and we know that is not possible! I have been trying to turn off the vibration feature that occurs when you touch one of the 3 softkeys, back, main menu and search, for this reason, excuss me (ANOTHER ISSUE IF YOU ARE READING THIS NOKIA!!!), and that would certainly save a few electrons. ----------------- The phone should not switch on when charging, sometimes you want a fast charge and turning it off is optimum. Seems fundamental.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nabros

An interim solution to fix this issue or get around it - For a completely dead nokia lumia 800- If you plug in the phone into your computer with the USB cable and give it 5 to 10 minutes it will get charged. Yes - a completely dead nokia lumia 800 will charge and turn on. Then you may plug into your electrical/wall charger to continue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aquascene

That won't work for mine, it's stuck in an infinite restarting loop. Tries to start up, fails, and tries to start up again. Over & over but never boots up.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NilayaUK

one thing mentioned earier in this thread, and one thing only, helped starting it up - plug it into PC, wait till PC sees it, troubleshoot through Devices and Printers...

I am fully devoted to Nokia, but I swear it makes me jump out of my skin sometimes. Why can't you Nokia guys fix those things before you put it out to market??

Please use plain text.
JamesParker

I would like to add my name to the list of customers with this problem. Microsoft are notorious for poor quality assurance seems this has rubbed off on to Nokia. If I created a phone I would check it could charge after the battery has run out. How did this never happen during the development life cycle?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hemingwaydesign

the nokia 800 is an unmitigated disaster ,,those are the words of a vodafone sales person I would add to that Nokia are a disaster full stop at moment .. my Lumia 800 wont start !!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Facepalm

Don't blame Nokia. Their unique fault was partnership with Microsoft.

P.S.: totally satisfied with phone. It took almost 5 days to discharge since last upgrade + no problems with software update/installations.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sghazzi

I purchased my Nokia Lumia 800 about 10 days ago while I was in Paris.

I love the unit and the battery life an all.

However, overnight it decided to land in a vegetative state.

No response, no power one, not combination of keys is inducing a reset.

Very odd coming from Nokia, I had decided to kill my HTC HD7 Pro because of the instability of the device.

Suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

@sghazzi

Hi,

Thank you for your first post and welcome to the Nokia discussion forums.

Try using the supplied USB charger and plug it into your P.C.

Leave it for about 20 minutes or so and then holding down the power button for about 10 seconds. You should feel it vibrate.

This should revive your device!

Let me know if this helps

Regards

Raol_Duke
If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
d2dahoopa

@Raoul_Duke This does not work for my device. I have been having this problem since purchasing my handset in December, I love the Nokia handset but I am slowly losing patience with it. Having handset on charge for 39 hours and to find it still doesn't turn on is absolutely unbelievable.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
philmcc

I have also tried this and it is not working. When I plug it into my PC, the PC asks me if I want to format the drive. I choose "cancel". I let the device sit for a long time. I then press and hold power for >10 seconds and get nothing. When I release the power button, the phone vibrates and then ~1 second later gives another very short pulse vibration.

What should I do?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sghazzi

Issue Solved
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
philmcc

It certainly isn't solved for me.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

My Lumia has gone back Twice both for the same charging issues as reported here. The First time it had soldering done which apparently is a level 1. when the phone came back it still wouldn't charge properly. The second time, those kind people at Nokia then said the reason for the charging problem is that the usb connector is damaged or crushed and is beyond economic repair!! This phone has always been this way so if it is damaged, it was damaged before I received it!! There is something not right about all of this......Thanks Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Jabber

Uh Oh! I plugged my 800 in to top up the charge yesterday evening - it was on about 50%. A few hours later when I went to get it someone had turned the wall socket off. Not a problem I thought, must be over 50% anyway... but it was dead! Turned the charger back on and it began charging. Left it overnight... and this morning it was dead again!! Trying again this morning. Phone is 2 weeks old and has been fine up until now. Very worrying to read all of these posts. I have had Nokia phones for 15 years and always been happy. However it looks like they've dropped a big one this time? Don't they test these things??
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

Exactly what happened to mine. The reason according to Nokia is that the USB Connector is damaged or crushed. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
aekman

Hi. My 800 is stuck in an infinite restarting loop. Tries to start up, fails, and tries to start up again over & over but never boots up.

Tried already USB connection to PC or laptop

Tried another power supply from different NOKIA phone (N97 mini, 1200mhA)

Tried to warm ti up and then connect it.

Tried doing soft reset.

Tried doing hard reset.

Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
FloBoTud

I have the same situation here. My phone is dead for 4 days already, and I am really loosing my patience. I am going to plug out it's battery and charge it directly, if I will not receive official support soon. There are hundreds of people complaining about this on the Internet, and I think there are several others out there that prefer to remain silent. 

Nokia, do something, asap, or soon you will have nothing left to do. 

Please use plain text.