Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

debk

[ Edited ]

@   jomarchan  (and other "usb broken" people)

There appear to be several problems in the same thread.  However, like you, I am dealing with a "broken" USB connector.

My 3 month old Lumia stopped charging, I took it to local Nokia store who said the "USB connector is damaged."  I've done nothing to damage the fone... thus my internet searhch to see who else is suffering the same problem.  Not surprisingly, Nokia seems to be claiming a lot of people are breaking their USB connectors.  (I think we have a factory defect.) 

The local Nokia Support Store's estimate to fix my broken connector:  €290 + 23% IVA.  Ha.

jomarchan, which Nokia service center agreed to replace your fone?  Could you pls provide their contact info?   Also, did you make progress with legal advice?

(I bought my phone in Germany but I live in Portugal.  Will contact anyone, anywhere to get Nokia to own this problem. :smileyhappy: )

Since this topic is marked "solved" due to a solution provided for a software failure, I've started a thread specific to this hardware issue: 

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-broken-usb-connector-phone-won-t-charge/td-p/1395735

If you have a broken /damaged USB, could you please register on that thread?  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

Hi

I took my Lumia to My Three shop in Worcester England and they sent it away to their Sevice centre where ever that is. It was Three that said it was a Damaged USB Connector and is not covered on the Warranty. After receiving no Joy from Three I contacted Nokia Direct at their Main English Office and they quickly arranged for the phone to be returned to them for a Second opinion. They came back with NFF. No Fault Found and there was certainly no damage. They sent a new Lumia out as a replacement and I have had no issues with it since, although I can't help wondering how long this will last. It is worth considering Legal advice as there are a number of people with the same issues. My Legal advice was positive but thankfully Nokia came good. My Lumia is now perfect.....at the moment......Good Luck.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

thanks panic over it worked
Please use plain text.
sunliren2005

This cannot be defected connector. The same connector is using on android everywhere. I treat my android phones so bad, but they never have such issue. After my phone dead for the whole night(with charger on), I tried warm it with charger on. Finally bring it back to life, and it is starting to charge. 

Warm it up works for me!!!

and this should be able to fixed by fireware update, however this shouls how bad nokia support is. I had several nokia phones before, this is the first one make me feel regret.

but i like wp7 :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
LumiaPOS

[ Edited ]

I'm on my 2nd Nokia Lumia 800 POS in 5 months. First one the connector failed - which they couldn't repair so I ended up with a bill and a recon phone. This connector is not fit for purpose. It is flimsy and badly made. I am an electrical engineer and this is the first connector that has ever failed on me in this way - and I have dealt with thousands over the years. None of my other phones ever failed in such a way. It is shockingly awful in construction and use!

Yesterday my phone battery died (this happens a lot). I did not charge it up immediately as I actually have a life that does not revolve around charging my phone. It was working fine up until the point it said "goodbye". Since then I have tried to charge it and turn it on with no luck. I have tried every combination of button presses and warming it up and reconnecting the charger multiple times. I have tried 3 USB chargers as well as plugging it in to my PC.

Nothing has worked. It is a brick.

When the power button is pressed for 8-10 seconds I get a buzz from the device followed a short while later by a much shorter one (sort of buzzzzzzzzzzzzz      buzz - if that makes sense?). I sometimes get these buzzes when connecting it to a charging device (via the not-fit-for-purpose connector).Anyone else get these two buzzes?

I am mighty disappointed in the device and will never buy Nokia again and I will be advising anyone who will listen not to buy one either. I should have gone with my first instinct of a Samsung Galaxy. The reason I went for the Nokia was that, in the past, they have been bulletproof in reliability and very robustly made. This Lumia is also well made (connector aside) - it is a well made useless brick. The most expensive paperweight I have purchased.

https://www.facebook.com/NokiaLumia800POS

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eakangk

Hi I've had this problem twice in the past 6 months.

I got it turned on after a lot of button press and holds both the times.

But yesterday was pretty weird.

The phone died in the evening and I put it for charge at  01:00. And I checked it at 05:30. And it was still charging but not yet turned on. That seemed a bit weird. I plugged it out of the charger. Plugged it to another plug point. I waited for half an hour and did some button press and holds, the center button (the unlock) and it got turned on. I don't know what secret combination I actually triggered. But I was relieved.

I wonder what would happen if I were to replace this lumia with another. I mean not buying, but if Nokia were to give me a replacement. Would that have all my apps? Would I lose all the money I spent on tracks and games and apps?

I am actually beginning to think that this phone might die soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Hairycaster

Hi bud - my Lumia died 2 weeks ago.  Took it to Vodafone who sent it off for repair (free) by Nokia.  Nokia couldn't repair it and sent me a replacement.  I was initially horrified as I thought I'd lost all my contacts and games.  Contacts re-appeared as soon as I inserted the SIM.  When I went to re-purchase my games, Microsoft advised me I'd already purchased them and would I like to re-install them?  Did that - sorted!  So don't worry, as long as you've bought the games etc via windows live, you should simply be able to re-install them.  Love the Lumia - this is now my 3rd one though - first one had no ringtone volume, second one just died whilst playing music and wouldn't charge up again.  Fingers crossed this one's going to be ok.  Apparently it's a Nokia refurbished one .... a bit disappointed about that, but hopefully it means they've resolved all the issues with it?  Good luck with yours anyway mate.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
msy96

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

This morning I woke up and for some odd reason my Lumia would not turn on after it's usual night charge cycle. The battery was warm so I was quite confused as to what was going on.

As you do, I went straight to Google and searched for issues regarding Lumia 800's not turning on. I found this discussion and did a few play arounds with the charger cable, different power sources and even the three hand salute - nothing worked.

I then grabbed my old Nokia 5320's USB cable and plugged that in to my computer. Ta dah! The Lumia turned straight on, and it was already 100% charged which was really weird. I checked out Diagnostics and it confirmed 100% battery life.

I then plugged the original charger cable back in to its DC wall socket and it continued charging as per usual. Really strange... Thought I'd lost my Lumia for a moment.

I guess my potential solution is try using a different microUSB cable. Not sure if it's just me, but I feel sending my Nokia's in for repair/replacement is a last option. Good luck for anyone with this problem!

Cheers

PS: Just wanted to add that the last thing I was doing on my phone was listening to music, and then some time during the night the charger must have gone funny 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bradztheman

same thing happened with me. Also had problems with internet, i was connected but it said try again later or try refreshing your browser! couldnt get up a web page for 2 days! had to factory reset the phone. nothing but problems since ive had it!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neil004neil

I've had the same problem and the fact that the phone generally has terrible battery life anyway but think i have found a SOLUTION. If you go to battery saver in settings and make sure both options are NOT TICKED, so battery saver is completely off. The battery life now last a day and a half and it no longer cuts out or shows any problems

Please use plain text.
cvik2

i had the same problem. Here's what i did and now (i do not know until when though) it works. I left it to warm a bit, then i tried the combo buttons. It is working fine. Though i am afraid it might happen again. When i had the iphone i wasnt worried about such things. I tried to differentiate myself and know i feel like a morron. Anyway good luck to you all.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dolphins

how can i update via zume when there is no power in the phone. it does not interact via pc cable, as phone dead it can not connect. so how can i get the update you mention???
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lindaree

Thank you so much for this info - its worked for my phone!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lindaree

sorry for everyone I should ahve included this link info which has fixed my dead phone: 

Hello. I dont know if you have already tried this or if it of any use to you but i thought it was my duty to come and tell you about it. 

I have had the same problem with mine. I was charging my Lumia 800 and just before i went to sleep turned the charger and the phone off and when i woke up in the morning it would not turn on.

I went on this website to find lots of people had this problem so I searched the internet and found 

http://www.ukmobilereview.com/manufacturers/m-nokia/reset-nokia-lumia-800/

This is a BRILLIANT website that will tell you how to restart your phone. I tried the soft restart and it did not work but then the HARD RESET did and didnt erase all of my phones memory.

This worked for me so check it out.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
katieb4

Have just bought a Nokia Lumia 800 four days ago, however, I wish I had done some more research. After only a short four days my phone will not turn on or charge. Luckily I am within a certain time when getting a replacement shouldn't be to much of a struggle. However I don't know what I will do if the same thing happens in a few months time then out of the warranty, I will then not a get a replacement and will be paying an obscene amount of money a month for a phone that does not work. I understand that there are things you can do, such as resetting the phone, to fix the problem, but this results in loosing all of the files on the phone. I am willing to do this once, but surely I can not be expected to reset my phone every few months, every time this problems occurs. This is ridiculas. Something needs to be done my nokia. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CornPopper

My Lumia 800 won't power on or charge. What is the solution?
This thread has marked as solved but the solution doesn't work for me. I'm sure that my battery was completely drained. I think that my phone properly works when it gets power, are there any tricks to force power to the battery?
Please use plain text.
md1234

I just had the same problem.  I took My Lumia into to T Mobile and they told me the usb connector was  broken.  They charged me $20 and told me Nokia would send me out a new cell phone and  I have to send the old phone back. Nokia will evaluate it to determine if it was a manufacturing defect or user defect.  If it was caused by the user then I would be responsible for the full charge.  It seems to me that this is happening too often and therefore is a manufacturing defect.  The store that I brought my phone to also told me that it was a common problem.  My wife has connected her I-Phone daily for years and has never had a problem.  I connected my previous Android phone daily for 1-2 years and also no problem.  This sounds like a class action law suit if Nokia doesn't resolve the problem.

I just posted the above at "Lumia broken usb connector, phone wont charge" on this forum. As I said it seems like this is a common problem.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TrueBlueAussie

Just had my Lumia shut itself down with a Critical battery warning and it will not charge or restart. It was charging fine from my PC for 5 mins. The problem occurred while moving the PC end of the USB cable to another port (not the phone connector end).

We have 2 Lumia 800's in the house so it is very easy to compare them. No visible problem at all. It will not charge off my wife's charger, so the problem is the phone. I have a sneakly feeling the USB port on these phones shorts out easily and they just claim the ports are broken by the user to avoid responsibility.

I brought this second phone off eBay, so no warrantee, but I would not have expected it to be so flaky or fragile.

Needless to say that if Nokia insist on blaming this on the customers and not faulty design, I will be avoiding Nokia products like the plague in future. If only they had the guts to admit a **bleep** design error like Apple did (with the iPhone 4 aerial issue). SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU NOKIA!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
1972eccles

I've just sent my lumia back for the second time this year.I need that phone working.I shouldn't have to make a spell and appease some Nokia gods just to have a phone that works.I really like the phone but my patience due to how much I pay per month is waring thin.I've now requested another type of phone and my network provider is thinking about it.2 weeks I have to wait!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

Hi,

Mine just died after a pleasant 6 months of use. The battery is was at about 30% but when I looked at it an hour later it has switched off (not that uncommon) but is refusing to switch on even with charge attached.  In addition my PC does not recognise a device attachement when connected via USB.

What is the conclusion of all of the above?  As I have tried many of the suggestions but none have worked so far.

Thanks.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.