Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

SwapnilSaket

I had this same problem. All of a sudden my phone went dead (battery was low). I tried resetting the power cycle by pressing the power button for more than 10 secs. Tried soft and hard reset. Kept it for charging for more than 12 hours.

Everything failed and then I took my phone to Nokia care. They asked me for whooping Rs. 10000 (~$190) as my phone was out of warranty. Even then there was no guarantee that it would work.

I decided to take things in my own hands and used a T5 screw driver to open up the phone and take out battery. I then used a multimeter to verify voltage in my battery. It was less than 1 volt and thus charger was not able to charge it.

Given the architecture of BV-5JW battery it was difficult to use an external charger to charge the battery, so I used a home made technique.

Got hold of an old working charger and exposed wires of the charger and then used the wires to manually connect the terminals of battery to give it a "jump start". After nearly 20-30 minutes of charging (voltage increased to more than 3 volts), I plugged the battery in and then kept it on charge for next 30 minutes. 

All of a sudden my phone vibrated and it started taking charge.

Happy Days. :smileyhappy:

If you try this, try at your own risk. (I lost all hopes of getting my phone back)

Please use plain text.
manifesto

OK PEOPLE LISTEN TO ME. Had the same problem yesterday afternoon.. i fell asleep, my lumia run out of battery (my fault), i tried to turn it on and....nothin. I plugged it in the charger for about 45' min but again nothin, no vibration after 10'' of holdin the power button, ain't display nothin, nothin at all. I got a panic attack. So i search about similar issues,, i came here, i read what Kriminal said he did: "

- hold volume down button + camera button

- hold power button directly after the above, whilst still pressing the other two

- release power button once it vibrates, but still hold down volume down + camera buttons " ,

and..IT WORKED OUT :thumbsup: (thanx man :whistling: ).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mathaliast

During a recent update, at the point of the first "restarting your device" my computer prompt up a format option, I thought it was a necessary procedure for the installment to complete, and foolishly I did format the perhaps boot drive of the phone.

What can I do to reverse the damage? Is there a start-up.exe that I can get and reinstall the contents?

My phone is completely irresponsive now.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
liono

Have just tried the update too. when phone resets the screen stays black but a window on my computer pops up saying "you need to format drive K"

I was about to do this when I read your post. In the end I kept re-trying the update and eventually it worked without asking me to reformat. I hate to say it but i think you may have killed your phone by reformatting it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hjkiddk

[ Edited ]

Mathaliast wrote:

During a recent update, at the point of the first "restarting your device" my computer prompt up a format option, I thought it was a necessary procedure for the installment to complete, and foolishly I did format the perhaps boot drive of the phone.

What can I do to reverse the damage? Is there a start-up.exe that I can get and reinstall the contents?

My phone is completely irresponsive now.

Exact same problem here.

My Lumia 800 is totally bricked  :angry:

Moderator note: This post has been edited to remove references to a product or service used in procedures which may invalidate the warranty of a Nokia device, and which may not therefore be discussed on this forum.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ThinTech

This is weird. I was listening to music on my Nokia Lumia 800. Without any notice of battery low or such, it suddenly shut off. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my charging wire with me, I thought it was a software collapse since I just updated my phone couple days ago. I held power button several times and no turn on signal. 

This is the first time ever this happening since I bought the phone more than 3 months ago, not sure if it's because of the software or the phone. I went home, plugged in to my laptop. Nothing showed up. As suggested in forum, I held power button for 10 seconds, didn't turn on. Try again, on the 2s of second try and it's on.

Battery seems low when it's on, but not critically low, so I don't think the reason it was shut off is because of the battery. And it's pretty cold in where I live too, have the phone outside sometimes a day. Weather? Software? Phone itself? But I still like this phone anyhow, don't shut off on me again :confused:

Please use plain text.
welshdevil

[ Edited ]

My phone suddenly went off and I cannot get it to turn on again, I have tried all of the above things but no result. It has been it has been on charge over night and still nothing. I had two updates yesterday, could this have something to do with it?

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ciaran_W

[ Edited ]

My nokia lumia wont turn on any more either, i topped up put the phone down lifted it when i got out was getin out of the car and it was off hasnt came on since. Is there anything nokia actually do about all these faults? 

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Katie888777

When is nokia going to read this forum and actually fix their problem!!!??

My phone has been dead around 3 weeks now, I have tried absolutely everything on this forum and still no luck. The first time it did it the soft reset brought it back to life instantly, this time nothing, hard reset, soft reset, warming, pc charging, normal charging, hard reset... no luck. Any more suggestions? Sent it to Nokia but just like the others, they wont fix it! And i'm on a 2 year contract!!!

Please use plain text.
gostallion

[ Edited ]

I plugged in my earphones this morning after a full night (6 hours) charge. Less than 2 minutes into my music. The phone crashed and went completely non-responsive.  No way I could restart it even if though I connected it to my charger and later laptop.

I did a hard reboot - hold volume down and start.  1st try no response. 2nd try the phone came back to life with battery level at 80%.

My guess this could have something to do with earphones and wifi connection.  This is the first time I experience this and one of the rare ocassions I use an earphone, in my mind I think the combination of earphones plugged in and likely a drop in wifi signal crashed the damned thing.

Not sure if I will lose all my contacts if the phone is really dead but it happened to me once with iphone and I've never bought another of their products.  I'm hoping this gets fixed asap if it continues to be an issue for users.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
xenapoland

i'm sayin' goodbye to Nokia

will never buy their phone again... i had nokias for the last 10years and had no problems, but Lumia800???? it's a piece of **bleep**. still 6months of my contract to go and i have to buy a new phone, coz this brick won't turn on, is not charging, just nothing i can do... during this 12 months with lumia i had 10000's of problems, i think i've tried at least 10chargers.

and i never wanted an iPhone but i guess i have no choice. thanks Nokia

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rafkol

Thanks, works for me :-)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
inskip

I bought my Lumua 800 on Thursday.

Thought it was great at first,.like a "windows iphone". Tried to sync my contacts ok, tried to sync my outlook notes from my previous HTC windows phones. No go. I spent 5 hours changing all my notes  pwi files to widows docx files. finally I could use my files for work.  1.30 a.m, I went to bed 

Got up in the morning my phone was dead wont boot up. Spent most of Sat reading all the support and forums.

No go it wont start up, tried every combination of button holding and swapping chargers, my pnone has gone back to Nokia this afternoon. this will be my last Nokia phone. my son purcashed a Samsung Galaxy 3. what a good choice he made.

Nokia you have failed misarably with this Windows phone the change from one windows phone to another should be seamless like it was with my HP -htc - htc - lumia 800 disaster. I will take longer to review and trial my next phone before purchasing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i did the same thing
now my 4ne is bricked
pls hlp
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumialow

Same problem has happened to me today that has happened to so many before me and nothing by way of a reply from NOKIA.

My 3 month old Lumia was on charge all night but the morning it was dead.

When plugged in to the charger or usb all the phone does is constantly restarts over and over with a vibration sound.

There is no display whatsover and I have tried all the resets on this thread.

Way to go Nokia, your business is failing and you don't even look after the new customers you have just secured like me and many more here. so do you honestly expect us to buy from you again when you just ignore our problems and comments?

I don't like paying around £200 for a useless brick!

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Can some-one clarify does every 800 have to go through the soft reset/ hard reset process if you don't get it on to a charger before it completely drains. I've caught mine twice just as the goodbye logo appeared and despite putting it on a wall charger at that point each time it took 2 days of charging/ cajoling/warming up / pressing buttons to make it come back to life.

Is this a bug on mine or do all 800s have problems recharging if you let them go past a certain point.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
joey_80171

i tried the soft reset and it worked!

phone wasnt working for 3 hours and i had almost got a panic attack

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EllenC

After much pressing of buttons I put my Lumia in the sun on the windowsill and then plugged it into the charger.

After a while the phone decided to work!

All I needed to do was put in my PIN and I'm away   :-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lumia0303

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately I am also experiencing the same problems with my lumia 800 and do not have access
to a Nokia support center. A response from Nokia support would really help. The phone is unresponsive to a hard or soft reset, does not recognize Zune and is a shell less than one year after purchase.

Please use plain text.
Pesky

[ Edited ]
I started having problems last week with battery. On Sunday I got it to charge to 40% then it died again . Then yesterday after charging for 24 hours it had 0% !!!!!!!! Kept getting the battery pic and tried laptop and 5 other chargers too. Now it is dead as a dodo!!!! Wish I had found this search before all the messing about perhaps I could have saved phone. It's on radiator so will let you know if that brings it back to life. Should add that I did update last week.

I did a reset on Sunday luckily saving my pictures. Not sure about contacts as they are on sim and the ones on phone are on my very old Nokia (which after all this time still works!!!)

Any ideas as its out of warranty and its not insured!!!!
Please use plain text.