Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

manfersil

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

Hello...i just bought a lumia 800. My sales dealer advised me to fully charge my phone for 5 to 6 hours before using it. Right after pluging in the charger the phone turned itself on.

As I was advised to have the phone off until it was fully charged I switched it off. Afterwards the only thing that came to display was the word nokia and the three buttons were on. I do not know what to do now.

If someone knows or has encountered the same problem, please help!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sounds like the sales dealer knows very little about the product he/she is selling. The Lumia is designed toturn on when plugged to the charger. You shoulddisconnect it from the charger whenthe phone stops charging. Phone us designed to stop charging when battery is full. Leaving it connected after that is a waste of time. It should take no more than around 3 hours to charge, depending on state of charge when you got it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Max_b

LMC82 wrote:

I'm an electronic engineer working in design and production of electronics. My friend has a Nokia Lumia 800 with a broken USB connector, meaning it won't charge. I've disassembled the phone (following the official Nokia disassembly guide) and found that the USB connector has NOT been loaded on the board correctly (see image). It is at an angle to the mother board, and one side is raised as a result. This would have put a lot of pressure on the connector when mated, causing it to break.

In this instance the plastic that contains the mating contacts to the outside world has broken. Also, internally where these contacts turn into pins, the solder joints to the board have completely broken.

This is clearly a manufacturing fault and can in no way be blamed on the user.

Feel free to boycott Nokia in the future. 

@LMC82  - fab bit of detective work. :thumbup: Clearly Nokia have a problem in your case, and I guess many others as well... Got me wondering about my 920 problems now, are they all WP8 related...

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

My 800 now not charging. As it's a spare phone it's not used regularly and can now go quite a while without charging. Last night I looked at it as wanted to take it with me on a trip today as a spare. Got the battery is low message then goodbye. I put it straight on to charger and 12 hours later it's still a brick. No sign of life at all.

I know you're not meant to let phones discharge but it happens. I've never had a phone before where if it runs out it has to be nursed back to life the way the 800 has. My E72 and a cheap Acer phone had been sitting untouched for weeks and both sprung back to life within minutes of being plugged in.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lourdes

My phone died and didn't recharge overnight. In the morning it vibrated a few times when I tried to turn it on but nothing else eventuated. I tried this solution of holding the volume and on switch as suggested and eventually it work ! My husband had this issue and had to send it to back to Nokia to have the phone replaced, I hope this is a one-off issue.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Mine didn't accompany me on my trip but on my return I did eventually get it to work by putting in on the charger and placing it under the cat sitting on my lap and the combined body heat of me and the cat kick started it.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
swg_920fan

Just ran into this issue and STFW for bit and here is what I did to get mine to boot up.

-Grabbed the Nokia charger that came with the phone and charged for 1 hour (made sure nothing else was plugged into the same outlet)

-After an hour I held down the volume down button and the power button until it restarted (the phone was still plugged in)

-The phone stuck on the Nokia screen then loaded up the live tiles and is now charging.

Hope this helps :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Maufee

[ Edited ]

My wife's phone did exactly the same on Thursday night, battery drained.....left on charge overnight but no joy.  Contacted Nokia care centre, anwet here was no surprise on the part of the advisor thMitty wife had encountered this problem.  No joy after diagnostics so gave up until that is this morning....reconnected to mains and too my surprise within a minute the phone switched itself on.  Wife very pleased!......allowed to fully charge for several hours and phone working as if the the last 24 hrs didn't happen......that is until 1.30pm this afternoon when the phone suddenly died again......so far still no joy switching it back on.  Taking it back to phone4u tomorrow....see if hey will repair or replace as phone only 2 months old yesterday!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Hajlov

My Lumia 800 is just a month old and has been on and off by itself for quite a number of time....Now it is completely off and none of these tricks works for me....sick cos its exactly a week and my phone wont just reboot though when put on charge you feel some heat from the phone...yet no vibes, no rebooting...this sucks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lucy66

i've had my lumia for about 9 months. it's done this before but i've managed to make it work by some combinations of the tips mentioned. however this time, i noticed the battery was low so i turned it off, and when i went to charge an hour or so later it was completely dead. i left it charging on mains all day, trying various chargers, still nothing - and nothing from pressing / holding any combination of buttons. the next day i tried plugging it into a car. the empty battery sign showed up, and it vibrated, but then the screen went black. since then, nothing has happened except it vibrates at 30 second intervals when on charge. nothing at all when it isn't on charge.

this is the third day i have had without a phone, and it just isn't good enough for something i am paying for. i'm taking it back tomorrow, and hopefully will not have to get another nokia phone. I think it's disgraceful that these phones are still being advertised when there is such a widely-reported fault.

Please use plain text.
brosch

had same problem.

connected to computer (windows 7)

computer recognizes a nokia Dload device

reconnected again and it recognizes a windows phone

now i see a battery on the screen !

waiting for boot now, but the screen is lighting up, so i think it will be oke!

Please use plain text.
brosch

and yes! it boots and it's charging!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kriminal

I've just had the same 'dead' experience with the Lumia 820.

I had to use the following method to reboot :

- hold volume down button + camera button

- hold power button directly after the above, whilst still pressing the other two

- release power button once it vibrates, but still hold down volume down + camera buttons

The phone THEN kicked itself back into play, and lucky for me all my contacts, photos, music, games, were still saved.

However, the phone decided that the date in the UK is 1st September 2012, and the time was 00:12

I've had to manually re-adjust these, and then move the slider so that the automatic time and date change continue (hopefully).

What the heck made this happen?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
challe

Dear All, I had the same problem and I think it is a combination of a bug in the phone and the chargers capacity that is the problem. This is whats happening:

When the voltage of the battery gets to a safe lower limit WP7 should shut down but there is a bug that let's the battery completely discharge. The battery is of a high capacity that needs a 2.0A current to bring back to life.

The charger that comes with the phone only has a power capacity of 1.2A so it wont suffice. 

What you need to do is to go to your phone dealer and get a high capacity charger with at least 2.0A.

After charging for about 10 minutes, you should be able to press the power button for 10 seconds and it should power up. Kind regards, Challe of Finland.

Please use plain text.
pandabee11

My Nokia Lumia 800 phone is 6 weeks old. It has stopped working.

I have try everything I can find to restart it. I have plugged it into my laptop (5 hours) , I used a blackberry charger (6 hours), used a soft and hard reset and nothing. I have just contacted the shop I bought it from and they said it was my fault because I took the phone out into the cold, so condensation must have damaged the phone? They want me to sent it back to Nokia to confirm the damage I caused?!

I phoned my daughter from home, with the phone plugged in with a full battery. I then went out to pick her up and was out for 1/2 an hour, in the car, on a crisp, dry evening.
A phone should not be that temperamental, this is not my fault. 

What should I do?

Please use plain text.
gunny1970

My Lumia 800 ran out of battery. Would not start up again. Sent my phone off to Nokia - got it back today. A little note saying "Unable to repair - it has been exchanged". Now it is my old handset - I know it - had it for 14 months. They say the serial number has changed - what will they have "exchanged" to now make it work ?

Please use plain text.
Maufee

See my post from 22/12/12. My wife's phone since receiving it back from Nokia on 11/01/13, went dead again 2 days later on 13/01/13. UPS picked up on 15/01/13, returned back to me on 22/01/13 ( supposedly repaired)! Wife barely rue familiarised herself with the phone and at 5.30pm this evening (battery at approx. 75%), the phone suddenly went dead whilst Mrs was on a call. Absolutely ridiculous. Either this handset is a lemon or its the single worst decision/purchase I have made in about 20 years. Phone was purchased from Phones 4 u on 21/10/12, and Nokia have had it more than I have! Wife loves the OS, however this phone is no comparison to even the likes of budget htc. Unreliable, poor customer service, Nokia think its somewhat reasonable to get customers to repeatedly send the phone in for repairs. They forget about all the inconvenience associated with the problem. I have officially complained to Nokia and would everyone to do the same. I have rejected the handset as not ft for purpose (this would never happen with Apple or Samsung), and requested a brand new replacement or full refund.

Will post update on here.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ayojimbo

I tried holding down the 'reduce volume' button with the ''on/off'' button and it came back to life having seemed completely dead and unchargeable.  Date/Time was wrong and easily re-set but everything else OK. Now charging normally.

Please use plain text.
SwapnilSaket

I had this same problem. All of a sudden my phone went dead (battery was low). I tried resetting the power cycle by pressing the power button for more than 10 secs. Tried soft and hard reset. Kept it for charging for more than 12 hours.

Everything failed and then I took my phone to Nokia care. They asked me for whooping Rs. 10000 (~$190) as my phone was out of warranty. Even then there was no guarantee that it would work.

I decided to take things in my own hands and used a T5 screw driver to open up the phone and take out battery. I then used a multimeter to verify voltage in my battery. It was less than 1 volt and thus charger was not able to charge it.

Given the architecture of BV-5JW battery it was difficult to use an external charger to charge the battery, so I used a home made technique.

Got hold of an old working charger and exposed wires of the charger and then used the wires to manually connect the terminals of battery to give it a "jump start". After nearly 20-30 minutes of charging (voltage increased to more than 3 volts), I plugged the battery in and then kept it on charge for next 30 minutes. 

All of a sudden my phone vibrated and it started taking charge.

Happy Days. :smileyhappy:

If you try this, try at your own risk. (I lost all hopes of getting my phone back)

Please use plain text.
manifesto

OK PEOPLE LISTEN TO ME. Had the same problem yesterday afternoon.. i fell asleep, my lumia run out of battery (my fault), i tried to turn it on and....nothin. I plugged it in the charger for about 45' min but again nothin, no vibration after 10'' of holdin the power button, ain't display nothin, nothin at all. I got a panic attack. So i search about similar issues,, i came here, i read what Kriminal said he did: "

- hold volume down button + camera button

- hold power button directly after the above, whilst still pressing the other two

- release power button once it vibrates, but still hold down volume down + camera buttons " ,

and..IT WORKED OUT :thumbsup: (thanx man :whistling: ).

Please use plain text.