Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

Advisor
jomarchan

Re: Lumia 800 wont power on or charge

Nokia's answer is to say that the USB Connector is broken which is why it does not charge correctly. If this is the case then it has happened to a lot of Lumias as we can all see. The phone then is not fit or purpose if it is that easy to damage it. Surely with this many complaints about the same issues, there should have been a recall. Mine had these charging issues the day I received it so it must have already broken somehow at their end, and still Nokia will not repair it or give me a replacement. Instead I am being charged £19 for them to look at it and tell me it is broken!!!!

I will now go with apple and I hope others will go elsewhere too. I have been Loyal to Nokia for 15 years. They do not deserve my Business. Looking forward to a new relationship with Apple.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FloBoTud

I have also tried with other chargers, and the results are the same. If the connector attached to the phone is broken, after only 3 months of usage, then it's not my fault. My phone has enough power to power on the display with the empty battery, but does not have enough power to initialize the charging process. This seems to be a bug, and if so, I think the time passed so far from the product launch has been more than enough to get it fixed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

[ Edited ]

I would be interested to see what they say about yours if you send it back for repairs. I felt like I was banging my head on a brick wall. Nobody was listening. I have not damaged my phone. The phone had these issues when I received it and after Twice taking a look at it Nokia say I have damaged the USB Connector. If this is the case then the phone is not fit for purpose. I have consulted Legal advice on this and as there are so many others with the same issues I hope to get some result.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FloBoTud

Well, this could be a little tricky, since I just do not understand how I lost my warranty. I have the receipt from where I bought the phone, but the IMEI code is just not written on it, therefore I cannot actually prove that this is my phone. I can prove that I bought a Lumia, but not this Lumia, which is dumb, if you ask me, but takes my retailer out of equation. 

Now, I assume that if I would take the phone directly to Nokia Care, this would be solved somehow, but, there is a big problem here: Nokia Lumia is not officialy supported in my country, which allows them to simply send me for a walk. I wrote to Nokia Germany 4 days ago, since that is where my phone is bought. They do not seem to bother. Meanwhile, my phone is stil dead, and nothing seems to work. 

And, sidestory: I think somehow my dog ate my warranty. He also ate my work contract. Yes, I know, hilarious, but I was shocked when I saw how easily he can open the drawers. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

My Lumia came back yesterday unrepaired from Three. They say that it is my fault that the USB Connector is broken. I connected to the Laptop and it took 4 hours before it started to charge. Another 6 hours later it was completely charged.
I have spoken with Nokia direct and they have asked or the phone to be returned to them for a second opinion. If this Connector is broken, then it is an issue that needs sorting by them as clearly it is not fit for purpose. I await with interest as to what they say.
FloBoTud, you need to get a new set of locking drawers.....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello. I dont know if you have already tried this or if it of any use to you but i thought it was my duty to come and tell you about it. 

I have had the same problem with mine. I was charging my Lumia 800 and just before i went to sleep turned the charger and the phone off and when i woke up in the morning it would not turn on.

I went on this website to find lots of people had this problem so I searched the internet and found 

http://www.ukmobilereview.com/manufacturers/m-nokia/reset-nokia-lumia-800/

This is a BRILLIANT website that will tell you how to restart your phone. I tried the soft restart and it did not work but then the HARD RESET did and didnt erase all of my phones memory.

This worked for me so check it out.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
OnYourMarks

just had the same problem with my lumia, left it on charge overnight, work up this morning and phone was dead:smileymad:

I connected it to laptop and zune launched - it was also able to sync, but it still would not power up.

I then tried the reset by holding the vol down and power button and it came back into life and currently charging via laptop

my phone is on the new software too, 8107.12070 so this problem was supposed to be fixed, also i found it strange i could still connect to zune.

Anyway, Nokia / MS - another update needed..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TTT1

I am having exactly the same problem!
But it was not about battery . I was in a plane. Put it in airport mode. Arrived to destination, changed the airport mode to online and the phone just had this infinite loop.
I tried really everything written and nothing succeeded.
Were you able to solve yours?
Did anyone here solve the infinite loop problem??
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TTT1

If this thread is classified as "SOLVED" can someone enlighten me with how this is solved???

I have been trying for hours rebooting my Lumia 800 unsuccesully!

I have tried everything. When I succeeded on the hard reset it can go up to the step requiring the phone to restart and then as another guy said the infinite loop begins again!

Is my phone good for garbage or can I solve the problem?

I would appreciate some answering me??

Anyone from Nokia support watching those threads??

Please use plain text.
Strite

[ Edited ]

I also cannot understand how this thread has been marked as solved :smileyfrustrated: Are Nokia even going to acknowledge the huge amount of problems this supposed 'flagship' handset has been plagued with since day one? 

This is my first post on these forums, I have just had to initiate a second repair request after experiencing the problems detailed in this thread (namely that the phone turned itself off over night despite apparently having 13 hours of battery life left and now will not power on despite being on charge for the past 24 hours) the first repair was due to the phone not being detected by my PC, meaning I was unable to update.

Since the device was returned the PC still won't detect the phone but at least the device actually worked. For the past 24 hours the damn thing wont even turn on! All technological devices encounter problems, I appreciate that, be them computers, phones, TV's etc. but honestly, the amount of issues this handset has been plagued with since day one is simply unacceptable and to reiterate what many have said in this thread, a full recall should have been issued weeks (if not months) ago IMO.

Nokia seems to just want to brush these problems under the rug. After many years of loyalty to Nokia as a brand I have found my faith shaken, the Lumia is a lovely phone when it works but I can't help but feel standards have slipped drastically with this generation of Nokia's 'flagship' handsets. You only need look at the vast amount of threads detailing issues not only with the Lumia 800, but the 900 and 710 also.

Honestly, it's unacceptable and completely unexpected from Nokia who have been building quality devices for decades, I can't help but feel Nokia have rushed their new line of WP devices to market and that's something I never thought Nokia would be guilty of.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goran69

Exactly the same happened to me...left it sit for 10 minutes.tried to start and i did.....boring....it is a software glitch obviously
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

I have just heard from Nokia. They are going to replace my Lumia so that is good news. I find it bizarre that Three told me there was damage to the usb connector so they would not repair it and yet Nokia tell me there was no damage!! Seems like somebody is pulling a fast one.
Thank you Nokia, you have restored my faith in you and I can't fault your Customer Service.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TTT1

This is 100% a software glitch and I just hope Nokia/MSFT guys are reading the forum to learn from all experiences of users and solve problems!

What I can say is that I noticed that this occurs under specific situations and not when the battery is empty fully in my case.

The cases are:

* When I put WIFI OFF

* When I disconnect from a WIFI network

* When I out it to airport mode and then back online

* When there is no GSM network found.

In my cases, the above cases seem to be the key times this looping is occuring.

And so far, no real solution, I am waiting for some times and then it works by itself alone.

NOKIA: PLEASE REOPEN THE THREAD UNDER the LOOPING issue and not BATTERY EMPTY issue!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pradeepsalve

A similar kind of problem for me. I was in a major city (India) till sunday and the phone was charging fine. I came down to a small  village on monday, the phone wont charge through the travel adapter. I went through atleast five different homes and three shops and tried. IT WONT. it is charging through USB (although pretty slowly) and am now sitting in a cyber cafe for it to charge a bit.

Today is 17th April and I bought this phone on the 8th of this month.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stigzy

[ Edited ]

Arrghh, I've just encountered this problem - glad it's not just me!

Just before it happened my Lumia wasn't synchronising e-mail accounts. It was only synchronising Facebook and Twitter feeds. I tried re-synchronising them, left it to do its thing, then went back to unlock it about 5 minutes later and it had completely froze. I tried powering it off and unlocking it but nothing worked. I went back to it about 5 minutes later and it had turned off and wouldn't switch back on :/!

Holding the power & the volume increase button down for about 10 seconds and then switching to power & volume decrease button seemed to do the trick. I never got this with my 3210!!!

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My nokia lumia which is about 3 months old has decided it doesnt want to turn on. For the last few days it has been charging but when i move it it stops. Last night my battery died so i decided to leave it over night to see if it would work, I woke up this morning and it still wont turn on. I've tried soft and hard reset and holding the on/off button for 10 & more seconds. I heated it with the radiator and with a hair dryer. None of these suggestions helped. I am currently plugging it into my laptop and waiting to see if it will turn on no hope yet. Any other suggestions to try are welcome other than take it back to the shop as I need the phone ASAP and I cannot get to the shop at the moment. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

Me too. Just got home and battery level was around 80% which is usual for this time of day. Switched on wifi and it died. Plugging it in and the pressing all the buttons trick brought it back to life after 10 minutes on charger. Battery now at 90%. This isn't really good enough. This happened at home does but does this mean I need to carry a spare phone around ? The plugging it and rebooting is not an option during the day.

Moderator's Note: We have moved your post and changed the title. This is to keep the forum organized and let other forum users easily see and respond to this post.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
asak92

[ Edited ]

hey people, i recently bought a lumia 800 and its been a great experience.

but, last night a weird thing happened... i was using my phone normally, with 3g turned on, and after a few minutes of browsing through the whats new place in the me hub, the phone just hung... i could not do anything with it. so, i tried turning it off, but din't work. i tried connecting it to the charger, din't work. Finally, i did a hard reset by pressing the lock button for 10 seconds. then after that when i connected the phone to the charger, it turned ON and the nokia logo came up on the screen... nothing happened affter that and it remained like tat for 1 hour. again i did a hard reset, same problem happened. so, i left it to charge all night and still the same thing in the morning... and also a battery symbol with a red line at the bottom is shown before the nokia logo appears.... now i cannot use the phone... what do i do now??

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi asak92,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

You can perform a soft reset on the Lumia by taking it off the charger and pressing the lower volume and power button together until the Lumia vibrates. Release the power button and after 10 seconds release the volume button. The Lumia should now vibrate again. After a few seconds press the power button as normal and the Lumia should power up.

Contact your nearest Nokia Care Point if further assistance is required.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
asak92

[ Edited ]

quick question... does this erase all the data onmy phone?

Please use plain text.