Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 820 - Complaints/feedback

DRebel

Lumia 820 - Complaints/feedback

Hi Guys,

This post is mixed with complaint and feedback of Nokia Lumia 820. I hope Nokia people read it here and start doing something about it.

Note:- I was an Android(Sony xperia) user before switching to Lumia.

• Navigation/Maps :- I have always appreciated Nokia's maps and their accuracy. And it was a delight for me when I found that on my Lumia 820, I can download a map, can use it offline, can get directions offline(Nokia drive beta)(with 2d 3d map), can search a place/destination offline , and with turn by turn navigation, with quick/real time re-calculation of your route(in case you missed or changed). These all things were amazing but now I have started facing problem which is a big one. Map doesn't show my exact location.

For example - if I am sitting in my office then on map it shows I'm in some other building(next 2 buidings), but it starts working perfectly once I start driving back to home(exact and accurate), but again once reaching home, it doesn't show my exact location, always in some other building, not in my building. Means -When I am still it doesn't work(neither Nokia Maps nor Nokia drive), but when I am driving it works. (While I am typing I did check again, and its same problem.) Please NOKIA do something about it.

•  Camera - Quality vise Its ok, just ok. Even in day-light, its just ok. Yeah good things are, its fast, clicks very fast, saves faster, starts working even with locked phone, have some good, unique & different lenses e.g.. - cinemagraph, smart shoot etc.(which are exclusively for NOKIA phones and thanks for that). But the problem is quality and availability of modes for photo shooting. All my pictures, which I clicked in different environments - in the car, in day light, in night etc., all of them has a reddish shade. Why:confused:Yeah, I had cleared my camera lenses before clicking pictures.) And Top of that, you have only 5 modes to change/select between. Why not add one more for daylight shooting? And let them all(modes) have a default setting, once selected. Its a very small thing, because once I have selected the mode, then I believe flash should work according to that mode, which I can change if I want to. But it doesn't work like that in real, I have to change it(flash) separately (And till I does it that moment which I wanted to save has gone.) Even the front camera had same reddish effect on my pics.

• Messaging - I used to think that this phone is not saving my words from my language(Hindi) in its dictionary and not using it in predictive texts/words, but no, it does. Yes, it does save my words and shows them exactly in prediction. Keyboard/pad is good. Atleast, its very good for me.

• Email - The best part I liked it is if I have read my mail in phone then it doesn't show - unread - in my mail account, opened in my PC.(It's not like other mobiles).

• Apps:- I know Nokia+Microsoft are still building up their clan of apps, but I guess they should get some feedback for that(what they have already).
  • App - Handy scan - It sucks. The picture/PDF quality is not good. Its not clear(even after clearing my cam lenses), blurs and it gets worse when zoom in. And we don't have any other app to try as there is not a single app available same like this(for free). (Sorry but I found this app nothing in front of an app available in android market - "camscanner").
  • App - Ringtone Maker from Nokia - Please let us make a ringtone longer than 20 seconds. At least 40 seconds. Rest is good.
  • App - Translator - This app deserves 5/5 stars. Amazing app. I wish you could add Arabic language also.
  • App - Facebook - its good, refreshes quickly, shows posts, notifications etc. quickly but unfortunately it doesn't notify me. What I mean, phone will not show any notification whether I received a message or a Friend request on FB.(May be because it doesn't work in background - running app.) But I believe it should. May be they disabled it in order to save battery. And yeah, this app missed "share" button, to share any post or pic.

Rest of the things are just awesome for me. Speed, no lagging yet, simple.

I may counter some changes/problems later. I'll keep posting here, if they(NOKIA) find it, read it. And work on it.

Thanks

DRebel 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

Hi! You can try scan-to-pdf. The scan quality is OK. For apps problem you will need to leave the feedback with the app developers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

For feedback regarding Wnidows Phone 8 features or Microsoft-developed apps, you can leave suggestions at the following link: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sjpena

We have 2 Lumia 820s in our household.  Cinemagraph works on one phone but not the other. We always get the same error message - something like "not holding steady enough, try again."  I have been successful in using it on the other phone so I believe I'm holding it steady enough that it should work.  We have deleted and reinstalled Cinemagraph a number of times but we always get the same error.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?  Is the phone/camera defective?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi Sjpena,

have you tried performing a soft reset(pressing the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates)?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sjpena

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that and it still doesn't work.  Same error message, etc.  Any other suggestions? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

may be something wrong with the sensors or the way the phone is recognising things. although drastic, and since you appear to have tried everything else possible, you may need to perform a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone). please make a backup of all personal data first to PC and/or online storage first, as a hard reset wipes all personal data.

failing that, you will need to take your phone back to your point of purchase, or if they are being less than helpful, to your local Nokia Care for inspection: http://nokia.com/support
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kriminal

[ Edited ]

- Camera : I'm of the same opinion as DRebel.  I've come from an iPhone 4, and to be honest, I feel the simple 5mp camera lens on that thing was A LOT better.  When I take a pic with the 820, initially (looking through the lens) it looks very clear, but as soon as I snap a picture it removes all the sharpness, and natural colour!!

- Phone Freezing : this has now happened twice.  Considering I've had the phone for only six weeks, and considering the manufacturer is NOKIA, I wouldn't expect this to happen - I expected quality

- SD card not being recognised?? - what the hell is this all about?  The phone has been recognising the damn card for the past six weeks, and then when I wake up this morning, swtich the phone on, I get a message saying that the phone may not recognise the SD card, and that I need to check it out via my PC?!

- Unable to confirm whether I show BUY an app or not, due to the fact that I don't have Wifi.  This should've came as a BIG BOLD sticker on the box - MUST HAVE WIFI.  I never had problems downloading ANYTHING to iPhone.....come on Nokia, get a grip!!!!

I'm seriously losing faith in what I thought was going to be a high quality, fault free product.  I don't make many purchase mistakes, but think this has been a REAL BIG one. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gazmartin

[ Edited ]

First one i owned cracked in my pocket due to a fualty screen. Second won't charge through UHB.

Sent countless emails, made endless phone calls, As of yet NOKIA haven't lifted a finger to help me. After 15 years loyalty to NOKIA, im now ready to cut all ties to the company.

Moderator's note: We have edited the post as it contains unauthorized words. Although your feedback is highly appreciated, we would also expect users to maintain respectful tone to Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Have you tried your local Nokia Care Point? You can locate your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Out of curiosity. What are you expecting from Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
boon3232

I encountered strange screen while using my 820.. attached image.. After reboot camera worked fine. Was it an hardware issue? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
paulig

DRebel wrote:

Hi Guys,

•  Camera - Quality vise Its ok, just ok. Even in day-light, its just ok. Yeah good things are, its fast, clicks very fast, saves faster, starts working even with locked phone, have some good, unique & different lenses e.g.. - cinemagraph, smart shoot etc.(which are exclusively for NOKIA phones and thanks for that). But the problem is quality and availability of modes for photo shooting. All my pictures, which I clicked in different environments - in the car, in day light, in night etc., all of them has a reddish shade. Why:confused:Yeah, I had cleared my camera lenses before clicking pictures.) And Top of that, you have only 5 modes to change/select between. Why not add one more for daylight shooting? And let them all(modes) have a default setting, once selected. Its a very small thing, because once I have selected the mode, then I believe flash should work according to that mode, which I can change if I want to. But it doesn't work like that in real, I have to change it(flash) separately (And till I does it that moment which I wanted to save has gone.) Even the front camera had same reddish effect on my pics.

Thanks

DRebel 

I don't have any reddish hue in my L820 pictures. Perhaps your lense is dirty? Try cleaning that with alcohol or something. I have 1232.5951.1249.10xx software.

Please use plain text.
joshua1593

Hi,

I don’t know if it’s really a lag, but there are times when I open the messaging, the animation of the tiles isn’t as smooth as when I open other app. It’s kind of annoying to me, since I always hear/read that Windows Phone is really smooth, fluid and lag free, yet there are times that when I open the messaging hub it isn’t really smooth. :smileyindifferent:

I’ve also experienced freeze on my phone, I was listening to the music player, then when I swiped it to change the song, the screen just froze (I can’t remember if the music continued playing) it won’t respond to anything I do, I pressed every physical buttons but the screen remained the same, so I had to remove the battery to restart the phone. After that everything went back to normal and another is also when I was using the music player. After the last music was done playing the next music won’t play anymore, same as the following songs, so as usual I restarted the phone. Then everything went back to normal. I wish that will be the first and last time that will happen.  

I haven’t received the .1308 update yet, maybe it’s because of my location.

But other than that, I’m REALLY HAPPY with my Nokia Lumia 820 (so far). 

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi Boon3232,

We cannot tell whether it's a hardware issue or not as we further need to isolate the issue. Did it happen again? We hope not. In case it did happen, you can reboot your phone. You can also try to press the down volume and power keys together until the phone vibrates and starts up.

Make sure that you have the latest update installed on your phone. If you have not received it yet, best action is to wait as the delivery of this update is gradual: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Update-released-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-820-and-620/m-p...

joshua1593 wrote:

Hi,

I don’t know if it’s really a lag, but there are times when I open the messaging, the animation of the tiles isn’t as smooth as when I open other app. It’s kind of annoying to me, since I always hear/read that Windows Phone is really smooth, fluid and lag free, yet there are times that when I open the messaging hub it isn’t really smooth. :smileyindifferent:

I’ve also experienced freeze on my phone, I was listening to the music player, then when I swiped it to change the song, the screen just froze (I can’t remember if the music continued playing) it won’t respond to anything I do, I pressed every physical buttons but the screen remained the same, so I had to remove the battery to restart the phone. After that everything went back to normal and another is also when I was using the music player. After the last music was done playing the next music won’t play anymore, same as the following songs, so as usual I restarted the phone. Then everything went back to normal. I wish that will be the first and last time that will happen.  

I haven’t received the .1308 update yet, maybe it’s because of my location.

But other than that, I’m REALLY HAPPY with my Nokia Lumia 820 (so far). 

We hope it's the first and last thing to happen too for your phone, Joshua. You can try to perform the above reset provided to boon3232 if in case it did happen (that we hope not!). And yes, it's best to wait for the update as this further improves the phone's performance. Cheers.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
VikashNL820

Hi Nokia Team,

I have been a nokia supporter for over 10 yrs now and everyone at my place including me , mom, dad, my wife and my sister have been using nokia phones. never during the course of this time have we faced any troubles with any of the handsets that we have used.

In March 2013 i decided to buy a new nokia phone for myself. lumia was the obvious choice. i bought a lumia 820 from a nokia store and was very excited about the phone. the handset also looked very great. Little that i realized that i was getting into a big mess.from the very start i felt some problems withthe speakers and the voice that comes out from the phone. i told this to the store owner then and there that i feel a problem here. he said no there is no issues and it might be coz we just cut your simcard. he advised me to have my sim card changed to the mini one. i told him i am now going for a leave for over a month as i have my 1st aniversary coming up and i wont be able to follow up. he said that is ok it wont be neccessary. now he do not even picks up my phone calls. From the second day itself i also started to feel another issue. the phone will automatically swithc off and you can keep pressing the power button it will not turn on. i got it started by removing the battery and when i checked on the internet many people complaint about this problem. here only i got a short cut to resovle the issue as to press and hold the power and volume key together for around 15 seconds. that atleast turns on the phone but there is no solution for it turning off automatically. i work as a manager in  a big MNC and  i started missing calls from my team members and clients and that started affecting my performace and i now also hear complaints that i am keeping my phone off. however it is automatically doing so without any reason.

i came back from holidays with the issues still there late in April and have alse got the sim card changed but the issues are not resovled.

Further i noticed that when i am working with the wifi connection it works fine and as soon as i am out of the wifi connections and tries to connect the phone with my 3G connection it will show connected but no browsing will happen. it will only start once i restart the phone. the voice and audio problem is getting worse everyday as anyone who calls me complaint that i can't hear you, whereas i can hear them loud and clear. many times i have to disconnect the call and call them back. it seems to work then. then another shock happened. never i have seen incidents like this with my nokia purchases. one day i was talking to my sister on the phone and it fell of from my hand. it fell what ifelt from around 2 feet and the screen cracked. Nokia was always knows to be reliable and durable. how did that happened. no idea. Anyways i got that repaired through the insurence that i had with the phone and the bill of Rs 11000 was taken care of from the insurence company. i only got to pay for Rs 700 for some charges. As of this monent i have a 3 months old phone that was with your service station for around a month and still facing a lot of issues with my phone and a few issues out of which is already on the internet as many consumres ahve complaint about the same. i do not know what to do more and for the first time i feel cheated after purchasing a nokia. the phone is still under warranty and as mentioned it is just 3 months old but there are lot of issues on it for a new phone.

in a nut shell the issues currently are

--> it shuts down automatically without any reason.

--> audio problem. when some on calls me i can hear them loud and clear but they cannot hear me.

--> switching from wifi to 3G do not happen without restarting.

In short i feel like i have been given a defective phone and wanted to raise my concerns about the same. A sper my work schedule i find it extremely difficult to keep running at the service stations and also for a brand new phone to be repaired does not make sense especially when i reported the issues at the very start. Also i cannot afford to be without a phone any longer as most of the work now a days are done on the phone itself.

i request Nokia to please look into the complaint and let me know the vaible solutions for these issue and make an old, very satisfied and a big Nokia Promoter to be happy again.

please feel free to call me anyday post 3:00 PM IST on my mobile if required. if you any any further informations about thephone please let me know.

Please use plain text.