Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 820 - Microphone sensitivity

boilingpoint

Yep, same thing here with my 820. Friends tell my speech attenuates into unrecognisable mumbling periodically whilst on call. No sign of SW update here in Finland, though.
Please use plain text.
DominicT

Had the same issue here with a Nokia 820 device which I got from Nokia Store Malaysia. The speech volume goes up and down at the beginning of the conversation ( < 10 secs) . It makes me really frustrated when I need to repeat my first sentence for at least 3 times per call. 

Come on Nokia, we have been supporting you for so many years.... dont let us down at this point.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
budney

I had or have the same issue on my AT&T 820. It was so bad I stopped using it. I still need to put it up on eBay, but then another part wants to see if I can be fixed. I am missing WP now that I am using a iPhone. I would be tempted to switch it out for a 720 too, as I am not sure any software would fix it. It seems like it's more of a design flaw with the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sunilauh

I also had the same problem and resolved by upgrading the software and firmware to the latest.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Blindguy

Where did you find that update?  I'm on AT&T and the latest update I have is 1232.5951.1249.0001.

I'm having the same voice quality issues.

Please use plain text.
JohnnyFarrside

Thanks guys for the tip on update, I checked my 820 today and there was indeed an update available, which I took and seems to have resolved the voice quality issues.  After downloading the update (Wi-Fi connection recommended btw) apart from the MS updates there was one Nokia ‘Quality Improvement’ update :whistling:

Firmware revision: 1232.5951.1249.1021

Please use plain text.
Contributor
budney

I ended up sending my phone in to Nokia to have is looked at/repaired. Hope to get it back soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
qwerty12

I had all callers comment on how they could not hear me with new Nokia 820 - was surprised that when I googled  there were so many people having same problem!!! Tried soft reset which seems to have worked but am dissapointed that I had this problem in the first place.  Thanks to those on this forum for offering advice and sharing their support.  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lamborah

[ Edited ]

I may of found the problem for us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxHEIXv7UQ @6:35 Theres the second microphone! So if you're like me and have a gel/silicone case over it. maybe cut out a hole in the gel case where the microphone is?

Now with that picture, the little yellow boxes is where i cut abit of the gel casing off for the microphones. however i can't test it as my phone is currently in for repair... When i get the phone back i'll report how it goes!

I use my Nokia as a riot Shield.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
budney

Thank you for the info Lamborah. I remember taking my case off before I sent my 820 in for repair, and it made no difference. Also I am still having this issue after having it repaired. But looking at back cover of the phone, I am not seeing suffiecent space to allow the mic to function properly. I hope to use the phone without the back cover (tricky I know) to see if it could be the back cover of the phone it's self.

Please use plain text.
tonstaone

Hi all yes another unsatisfied Nokia 820 user soft reset has not fixed the problem, the latest firmware is loaded my next option now is a hard reset.I should have stuck to Samsung better the devil you know....lesson learnt
Please use plain text.
Martyn62

I returned my Nokia Lumia 820 on 19 March a few days after receiving it. I too had the issue with the microphone where the person on the other end of the line couldn’t hear me speak. My phone didn’t have a screen protector or cover and resets had no effect. And I could not send or receive MMS messages either. Nokia apparently had an app to fix this second issue but it had been withdrawn when I tried to download it. I checked for updates before sending my 820 back for repair and my local VF store checked the MMS settings. Now to make matters worse the screen on my phone was broken sometime between me handing it back at the store and it arriving at the repair centre. I am being asked to pay £150 to have it repaired even though there was no mention of a broken screen on the Repair Booking Sheet. Bit of a nightmare all round really

Please use plain text.
Contributor
budney

If any of you want to try this to verify, please do! Thanks Lamborah for the info. :smileyhappy:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-820/206533-nokia-lumia-820-voice-quality-issues.html#post193...

Please use plain text.
migueli2

Strange when you say: "updated firmware to...." and mine is also newer and still have that problem.

My version is 1232.5957.1308.0001
Please use plain text.
periwinkle28

820 goes off itself

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ironman2418

Can't see that any case would have an effect on the Microphone? If you remove the Back Cover Battery Case the Microphone is still embeded in the housing of the phone just under the screen glass! For me this is an Hardware issue with so many people reporting this problem? Seems NOKIA just want's peoples money aren't interested in a fix? If more people spread the word about this problem and people stop buying the phone, then may be NOKIA might decide to admit there's a problem and find a fix. Personally I'm getting rid as soon as and going back to Samsung! Biggest mistake I've made buying this piece of **bleep**!!!!

:cursing:

Please use plain text.
periwinkle28

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, 

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your device specifically with the microphone. I know some of you might read this on the previous threads or conversations but then again, if the phone is not working fine, be it a software or a hardware issue, it'll will still be best to try troubleshooting the phone. Here are some steps to try to fully isolate the issue:

As per If you are able to confirm that it is not a network issue by using another phone to call same person and if they can still hear you clearly, then may be issue with the phone itself. 

If you are using a headset while in a call, you can check the following:

• Check that you are using a compatible headset, e.g. the headset included in the product package.
  • Check that the headset is properly plugged in your phone. Be sure to press the headset to the bottom of the connector.
  • Check that you are speaking to the microphone. If your headset does not include a microphone, you need to use the phone microphone. Keep the phone microphone close to you when speaking if there is no microphone in your headset.
  • Check that you have not muted your outgoing audio. E.g. on the touch screen devices, check that the Mute / Unmute toggle switch on the screen is in proper state (showing Mute command when outgoing audio is enabled). If you have by mistake muted the outgoing audio, tap the Unmute toggle switch to enable your voice to be transmitted.

If there's no headset connected, you have to make sure that there's nothing blocking the device's microphone.

Once identified that the issue is still there, you can proceed with these workarounds.

Press and hold both the Volume down and the Power keys for 15 seconds. This should get your phone to restart properly again. If doing this still doesn't resolve the issue, you have to make sure that the phone runs its latest software. To check for available software update, go to SettingsPhone UpdatesCheck for updates.

If none of the above troubleshooting steps work, you have to consider doing a reset.

Warning: Resetting your phone will return it to the same state it was in the first time you turned it on. All your personal content in the phone, including text messages and apps that you been purchased and downloaded (may be re-downloaded again) will be erased, and the phone will be restore to the factory settings.

Here are two options to follow, depending on whether you can access your phone's Settings screen or not.

Option 1: About menu

• Use this option if you can access your phone's settings.
  • This option warns about data loss.

On the Start screen, swipe left, select Settings > About > Reset your phone.

Option 2: Hardware key combination

Step 1

Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

Step 2

Then input Keys in the following order:

1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Step 3

The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

Now, if issue still persists even after doing all the possible solutions or once the issue has been identified to be a hardware problem then, it'll be best to send the phone in to your local Nokia Care Point for further assessment.

Refer to this link to find the nearest Nokia Care Point: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/locations/

Hope these information help. :smileywink:

Regards,

periwinkle28

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ironman2418

Having read the last post, I switched my phone off! Then held the volume down key and power key for 15 seconds. Phone restared as normal. Checked to see if any updates were available and one was. Downloaded the update and my Firmware has now jumped from 1232.5957.1308.0002 to 1232.5957.1308.0023 Quite a big jump? Still have to test phone to see if there is any difference. I'll post back if there is, or if any other user does this and finds that it does make a difference then please post it on the site. Here's hoping. :angry:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
budney

Hi ,

I have done this already many times, and even had it shipped to Nokia to get it worked on. And even after all this it still happens. It is very inconsistant, but seem to happen more when calling into call centers. Hopefully their is something else I can do, or give further info to get this issue resolved. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lainc

I bought this protection case cover for my 820 from ebay and after that I started to have problems too that others couldn't hear me. So the problem is, that the microfon is not right where you see it visually. When you open your phone, you can see that there's a small corridor before your voice get's into the actual microfon. Anyway, the issue is, that since the protection cover is made of cilicon/plastic kind of material, it just eats up all of the voice/sound and it just doesn't lead up to the real microphone. That's a pretty bad flaw in my oppinion, I can't have a protection back cover to my yellow beauty and it's very sad :smileysad:

Please use plain text.