Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 820 connectivity issues with Zune & Wind...

Keppi
Accepted Solution

Lumia 820 connectivity issues with Zune & Windows Phone

Hey!

I tried doing a few forum searches and didn't find anything precisely related to my problem, so bear with me. If there has been a previous discussion about this, please refer it to me and I'll be happy. But without further adue, here's my problem:

I myself use an iPhone (please don't get stuck at that fact), but when my mother got herself a Lumia 820, I agreed to help her set it up. We got everything else working fine, transferred the contacts from her old phone, made her a windows live account to use with Zune and all that jazz.

But the problem is that when phone is connected to the computer, Zune just says "No device connected", even though the PC itself detects it and you can go and browse the photos on the phone etc. I also tried downloading the Windows Phone application, since she's using Windows 7 on her computer. No help there, since the application crashes whenever the phone is connected using the USB cord. I have downloaded all windows updates and the .NET framework and installed them, but nothing helps. Would anyone have any clue on what to try next?

Big thanks in advance. <3

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 820 connectivity issues with Zune & Windows Phone

Zune is not compatibla with WP8 devices, including the 820. You should use the Windowsphone app which you can download using the link below.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

Please use plain text.
Keppi

Thanks for your answer! But as you'll see from my start post, I already said that the Windows Phone program crashes every time I connect the phone. What could be wrong?

cjlim wrote:

Zune is not compatibla with WP8 devices, including the 820. You should use the Windowsphone app which you can download using the link below.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

That sounds like more of a issue with Windows 7 on your computer than the phone. Check that you have installed all updates for your computer and also try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. 

Please use plain text.
Keppi

Did you even read my post? I said that I have installed all possible windows updates. I didn't mention that I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WP software, but I did it too. It's weird that it crashes only after connecting the phone...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sorry, I read hubdreds of posts here everyday and don't always have the time to go back to the very first post, especially when using a mobile device with  small display.

The Windowsphone app is known to be buggy and the reinstall has been known to correct it. Personally, it works for me with Windows 8 but it is not the best app, plus I prefer to backup to the cloud , so don't use it much anyway.

As this is really a Microsoft issue, have you tried getting assistance from the Microsoft Windowsphone support site?

https://gethelp.live.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

Please use plain text.
Keppi

Thanks very much man! I'll go and take my irrational questions there. Thanks for your time :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jenlindow

Did you ever get an answer to the connectivity issues. I have EXACTLY the same problem. I can see the icon on the computer, but it won't let me do anything with it. Zune doesn't recognise the phone either. I've downloaded all the supporting software recommendations, reset the phone, uninstalled and reinstalled and have now tried the phon on a Windows 8 computer with still no interaction - you just see the icon, but can't move anything in or out of it!

Any suggestions??

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Wolfman1988

I dunno if it to late but your problem is your sd card unsupported bro take it out and it will work but not zune its still not supported..

Please use plain text.
dtyo

You're a genius!  This is exactly what was stopping the 820 from connecting!  I removed the micro SD card and the Windows phone app worked! 

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TimK57

[ Edited ]

I also have an 820 and can't connect to Zune. The Microsoft site says Zune is compatible with Windows Phone 8 and the local O2 shop told me to use Zune to update my phone, as it won't start the download over WiFi (other WiFi things are fine).

Also, I don't have an SD card in the phone at the moment.

I went back to the Microsoft site to check where it said Zune was compatible with Phone 8 but can't find it. I must have misread (probably where it mentioned Windows 8).

So, now I'm not sure how I'll get the phone update. It shows up on the phone but just sits at 0% downloaded (I waited about 30 minutes and it didn't move) .

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Oladimeji

Hello Budies, I just got a new lumia 820 but any time i plug it to my hp 630 computer running windows 7, i have the message - USB device not recognized. I removed my memory card and yet i still have the message popping out. Also, I have install both Zune Software and Windows phone app for desktop.

Kindly assist.

Please use plain text.