Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 820 freeze

Contributor
farcas_claudiu

Lumia 820 freeze

I have bought a new Lumia 820 one week ago.

Since then there is no day when it doesn't freeze at least 4-6 times a day during a moderate use.

There is no specific patter for reproduction. You can do whatever you want.. it will freeze anyway sooner or later.

I have tried all normal recipes out there: soft reset, hard reset- factory default, none worked.

So there is no other option but just to return it back in the next week.

http://t.co/ZpZWfsSz

I have attached the phone firmware info so perhaps this will help in identify and avoid these models since no user will be happy going through the same horrible user experience I have.

Regards,

Claudiu Farcas

Please use plain text.
Contributor
farcas_claudiu

I will add as a complain that after each soft/hard reset, I have always to set manually the datetime on Lumia 820 since it is not capable on getting the datetime from my mobile operator (of course I have inserted a valid SIM card)

#fail

Regards,

Claudiu Farcas

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jayd95460

I think WP8 and the new Lumia's are having some deffinate issues at the minute, i have had my 920 freeze 2 times in 7 seven days so not as frequent as yours, you could just get a replacement and see if that solves it and then just hold out for some updates from nokia

Please use plain text.
Contributor
farcas_claudiu

Let's suppose my Lumia 820 is defective.

How in the world could a such deffective handset get out on sale!?

It is a waste of money, time for me.. as it will be a lose of marketing image for Nokia cause I wont spare a second to remind everyone about my case.

I would never ever leave a such a rubbish gone out in the market, but well that's only me.

Cheers,

Claudiu

Please use plain text.
mcadams

My 820 had this problem also, I found through trial and error it was tied to my bluetooth.  My bluetooth would pair but then you couldnt hear anything and the other person couldnt hear me.  Then my phone would lock up and I would have to remove the battery.  I found out today that if I go to settings: then speech: and turn off those settings my phone works fine, bluetooth works fine..etc.  Just an FYI, if it acts up again I will let you all know.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jayd95460

I get what you mean i will be on my 3rd Lumia 920 this week quality control has been horrendus on the first batch.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timriley

My new Lumia920 (Rogers Canada) is freezing about 1x/day too - relied on the alarm this morning and was late for work because the phone went unresponsive overnight and the alarm didn't go off!  Really really unhappy about this.  Any response from Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi guys,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your Windows Phone 8 handsets. If you have performed resets, and it still does not resolve your issues to your satisfaction, you will either need to take your phone back to your point of purchase, or you can visit your local Nokia Care for them to inspect.

to locate your nearest Nokia Care point: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
derek499

mcadams wrote:

My 820 had this problem also, I found through trial and error it was tied to my bluetooth.  My bluetooth would pair but then you couldnt hear anything and the other person couldnt hear me.  Then my phone would lock up and I would have to remove the battery.  I found out today that if I go to settings: then speech: and turn off those settings my phone works fine, bluetooth works fine..etc.  Just an FYI, if it acts up again I will let you all know.

Thanks so much. I'm having this exact problem with my 820, although my bluetooth works for a while before it has the same problem you describe.

What exactly did you turn off? I see the "Play audio confirmations" box was checked on mine so I unchecked it. Did you also disable reading aloud incoming texts? I kind of like that feature (it worked fine on my WP7 as well) but I guess I could do without it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arioja

Hi, I've had Lumia 820 for 2 weeks now, and it freezes randomly about once every day. Is it really so, that there's no other solution to this, than taking the device for local Nokia Care point? It's a really annoying to notice that the device is dead and only removing the battery gets it up and running again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arioja

Now there's been 3 days without any freezing. I disabled most of the background processes for applications. Some of them may be the cause of this issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

Do you all use a micro sd card?

Please use plain text.
HaraldC

I got my 820 last week. The very first day I had two freezes (screen not responding) and had to reset. And that was with NFC off, BT off the second time, with no apps installed. I also forced 2G and it happened both with and without wifi connected. The next day I had another freeze.

I then disabled Drive+ from being able to run in the background, I disabled auto check for system updates, I formatted my 32GB card in the phone, and I set the touch screen to normal sensitivity.

Since then I have had no freezes and good battery life (I havn't used the phone much today, an hour of music and some email reading, and Battery Sense reports 84% left with 15 hours since charging). To early to tell if any of this actually fixed the issue, but I would suggest at least trying sensitivity at Normal.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Olive_Oyl

I've just posted this on the Microsoft site - I'm glad I'm not on my own!!

I too have this issue with my 820, it happened again this morning, went to turn phone on and nothing, and I know the battery was not flat nor did I have it on charge all night!  I didn't know about the holding of the buttons (Power and Volume) and will try this if and when this happens again, previous times I've popped the battery out and that seems to work.  I didn't really do anything at all with the phone yesterday, in fact I think it was just on and that was it so not sure how using an app may have triggered this.  All I know is that its damm annoying on a phone that is only a few months old and I will be contacting Orange to voice my concerns.  :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Olive_Oyl

Thanks for this however surely Nokia/Microsoft have realised that there is a serious issue here and should be working to resolve rather than just palm us off with another handset?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aubeachbum

I am getting **bleep** off (& broken finger nails) accessing the battery to restart this phone when it freezes completely every day or so !!!

Can it be fixed ????? Maybe just a typical Windows "F" up !!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PToonen

I am too suffering from this, and I can't quite understand why it happens...or when. Last week the phone ran for a full week without any issues whatsoever, only to have it lock up twice on same evening after that. Today I decided to manually turn off the phone and restart it, only to have it frozen less than six hours later. It seems completely random, although I've neder had it freeze while I actually use the device, only when it is idling around on my desk. So, the screen has always been turned off the moment it freezes; however, sometimes the freeze occurs just bare minutes after I put it down, other times it freezes while I'm asleep (and so it fails to ring the alarm clock, lovely :smileysad: ). It happens with a full battery, it can happen with a near empty battery, with or without a MicroSD card in the slot. Flight Mode on/off has zero effect as well.

If it helps, you can at least stop peeling open the phone and potentially damaging your backcover or fingernails while resetting the thing. Holding the Power button + Volume Down for a good twenty seconds or so does the trick for me as well. This will not prevent any potential damage to your mood however, sorry :smileysad: The annyances that remain are the fact that you'll have to reset the time/ date after every reset, and booting takes actually quite some time, especially compared to WP7.

The moments the phone works are awesome, loving every minute of using it. But that doesn't make this malfunction any more acceptable, of course!

Please use plain text.
Tackalman

Well exact same thing happened to me, left the phone on for the nigth and in the morning the screen is black. I tried removing the battery and pressing the power and volume down and the phone vibrates but the screen is still black. My phone is few months old nad it is very dissapointing.

This may have to do with a recent WM8 update I am afraid.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gophersnake

This is interesting. I seem to have been having the same fault as all you guys. Sometimes whilst locked and not in use my phone will freeze and can't be unlocked without doing volume down and power or taking out the battery. I'm now on my second 820, my first was sent off to Nokia twice before being replaced but i'm now experiencing the same problem with the new phone. This ones being sent off to Nokia tomorrow.

All my past Nokias have been rock solid so I can only think that its thw Windows software and Microsoft doing their usually half job of testing before putting it on the market. This could be a disaster for Nokia, especially as it seemed to have been happening since the phones release and is still a problem.

Please use plain text.
tropical_yak

I am reading a lot of stories on this thread that sound very familiar.

I bought my Lumia 820 six weeks ago. The first week was bliss, it worked flawlessly and I proudly showed it off to all my iPhone-wielding friends and teased them about NFC, removeable storage, responsive apps and usable maps.

Then came the bad times. For the next 3 weeks it would freeze regularly, starting with a nightly freeze and progressing to freezing a couple of times per day with the occasional reboot thrown in for good measure. I tried uninstalling applications and turning off functionality (bluetooth, NFC, Wifi, etc) all with no joy. I even tried a couple of hard resets. After 3 weeks of this nonsense I returned it for warranty repair and 2 weeks later I still haven't received it back.

Fortunately I can depend on my old Samsung Galaxy S. 

Please use plain text.