Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 820 messaging sound and live tile not workin...

Contributor
toastie
Accepted Solution

Lumia 820 messaging sound and live tile not working

Hi,

I've recently bought a nokia 820 and am having trouble with the messaging app.

In my settings-ringtones+sounds, i've got the ringer on, and the new text or IM set to a sound, the 'play a sound for' everything is checked. However when I receive an SMS neither the messaging live tile updates to reflect this, nor does any sound alert me.

The phone is set to ring+vibrate, is there somewhere else i'm not checking?

Thanks,

Clive

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Re: Lumia 820 messaging sound and live tile not working

have you tried performing a soft reset (pressnig the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates)? if that doesn't work, then you can try taking the battery out and replacing it after ten or so minutes. failing that, attempt a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone). please bear in mind the hard reset wipes all personal data on your phone, so make a backup to PC and/or online storage first.

failing that, you will need to take your phone to your local Nokia Care point for inspection: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toastie

Thanks adrian, the soft reset did the trick. I'll remember that for the future, now the phone updates the live tiles for the messaging, phone, and google mail. It also speaks three times saying I've received a message, no doubt i'll find out how to turn that off very shortly.

I've also noticed now that it wasn't updating the lock screen with the missed call/message either. But now it is.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mate,

glad to hear it's all worked out. To turn off the phone reading messages aloud, go to Settings > Speech and turn the Read incomng message prompt to Off.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.