Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: owRe: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Registered Member
TheQualicSelf

Re: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Class 2 and Class 4 will work better on smartphones as most read/writes are small, e.g. loading up a photo or MP3 file. Class 10 works best for high end video cameras/SLRs where most read/writes are only large video files in one go. 2 and 4 will work better for lots of small read/writes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

Exactly the same issue as gaby.......... Have spent hours on the 'phone to Nokia. The company seems singularly unhelpful. The phone is great but I can only get it to work with a 1GB old SD card. Just not good enough.

Please use plain text.
gabyzune

The Windows Phone app that I install on Windows 8 OS allows tranferring music but it copies the file to the internal storage of Lumia 810 which I do not want. I have tons of WMA and MP3 that I want to copy to the SD card. So I have to use Windows Explorer.

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem:

1) connect phone and laptop via USB 

2) Open Windows explorer. Go to Computer > Lumia 810 > SD card > Music.

3) Copy music files from laptop to "Music" folder in SD card.

4) During the transfer process, I get "device has either stopped responding..." (see screenshot). The folders are successfully copied but not the WMA or MP3 files.

Any ideas?

Another way is to connect SD card to laptop (without the phone) then copy the files. If I do this, then insert the SD card back to the phone, my phone will have the following strange behaviors:

1) Go to settings > system > phone storage > tap SD card. Music + videos shows 0 bytes. Other shows 6GB.

2) Go to music + video > music, shows nothing (message: it's lonely here). For some reason, doing this will crash a service or something in the OS level. If I make a phone call, the speaker did not work (I could not hear the ther party). Or when I make a phone call, and tapping "speaker" did not work. The only remedy is to reboot the phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

Just the same gabyzune. What we need is a Nokia 'fix' but I have been completely unsuccessful in getting recognition / resolution to this ovious problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

I had the same issues with copying files to the sd card when the phone is connected to the computer (usb 2.0 or 3.0 doesn't matter). After a while I also get a "device stopped working" with either media player sync or direct windows explorer interaction. When the sd card is directly connected to the computer and copying works fine (media player and windows explorer). After filling tons of music (as written in the first post --> 30 gb+), my phone also said 0 gb of music and 30 gb of "other". It needed at least 10 minutes until this changed (had to scan files, I think).

To the discussion "class 10 cards are for large files" --> I am able to reproduce sd card crashing by shooting videos. after 1 second, the card is gone.

After reparing it gain on the computer, I will find a one second video, which can't be opened.

Nokia should eventually deliver a firmware update to fix this... htc is currently more up to date.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

Thought some of you guys might be interested in my solution. 1. Backed up data to Skydrive. 2. Inserted a 32GB card (which did not work before). 3. Performed a factory reset.         Everything now seems ok - got lots of music on it  and it stores photos. 

So, no help from Nokia but it might help you. Good luck

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

owRe: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

[ Edited ]

How fast is your music access now? Is your card exfat, ntfs or fat32?

I just tried playing some recorded videos yet and the phone isn't even capable of playing them without heavy lagging...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

Re: owRe: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

The hard reset was a mistake in my eyes (not to mention the phone backup won't store custom apn, angry bird status will be lost, some apps won't automatically reinstall (error #08ff.. whatever)), because nothing changed with the behaviour of my 64 gb sandisk sdxc card. The same creepy slow performance, freezes and so on.

Can anybody report smooth music access with more than 1000 mp3 or wma files on any type of sd card in this phone?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
IWSNX

Same here,

tried to record some videos but if I play the videos there are huge laggs.

Use a "SanDisk 64GB CLASS 10", does anyone know when the update is coming and we can use these expensive SD Cards?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cocinar

Has anyone had their issues resolved by the firmware update earlier this month?  I see that it apparently addressed some microSD issues, but there is no documentation that I can find regarding WHICH issues were fixed, and what cards now work.  I want to try a Class 10 64GB card, but am wondering if it is even worth the trouble.

Please use plain text.
gns100

I just realized after having my phone for a month that my class 4, 4GB sd card is what's causing me to have **bleep** videos (lags, speed up and slow down, missing frames) and causing long delays (3-4 sec) before the phone is ready to take another picture. I changed my settings for storing pictures to the phone, and videos much better and little delays in taking next picture. I was thinking about updating to a class 10, but sounds like it won't solve this issue. Now, trying to get back to subject, but I don't know if this is any way related. My 5530 (?) music express phone running symbian os had similar issue (long delay up to 1-2 min) with starting the music player when I had a large number of music files (maybe 2 GB of 4GB) on the SD card. So maybe there is a software issue (bad port) also. So is lag only with nokia music player, or also with MS music player?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lamborah

So i want to get a SD card, what is safe to buy?
I use my Nokia as a riot Shield.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bigbosseby

I am using scandisc ultra microSDHC1 and is working great for music, photos and videos as well.its a class 10 and 8 GB. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bigbosseby

please try Scandisk SDHC1 class 10 which I am using here in NZ. No issues at all.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Piratelooksat40

I am using a Scandisk Ultra 32 GB class 10.  I continue to have problems   Any thoughts as to what we monitor to find out about a fix?

Please use plain text.
dimsdalle

Hi, im from Indonesia. I have a problem with NL820 Micro SD too. 

I''ve tried Transcend 8 Gb class 10, and Vgen 8gb class 10. same result, make my Lumia 820 freezing. 

Desperate, I tried Transcend 2GB class 4 from my blackberry 9700.

Surprisingly, my freezing problem disappear. I do not find a problem when recording and playing music too. Although, process of recording isnt smooth and the video result often lag in the beginning.

My conclusion, it seems Lumia 820 is not appropriate with class 10. Buying a Micro SD class 4 is probably more safe. what do you think?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I think that any decent micro-SD card up to class 6 should not have any problems. Class 10 is absolutely unnecessary anyway, just a waste of money.

Please use plain text.
ghpup

I have had an issue with wireless charging and recieved a replacement unit yesterday.  Initially the new device did not recognize my 32GB SD card and would recognize my old 4GB card which I've had for more than 5 years.  Upon processing the firmware upgrad for the device I no longer have an issue with the SD card recognition.  Make certain the firmware is the most recent, if it isn't I would be somewhat confident that the upgrade will address most of these issues.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

Hey guys with firmware updates: can you please write down your current version?

My lumia 820:

Firmware: 1232.2109.1242.1001

Hardwarerevision: 1.0.0.0

Funksoftware: 1.0.2202041.3

Sill no working sd cards from sandisk (64 gb, as written before)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Piratelooksat40

My 32g SD card does not work.  Here is my phone info:

OS Version: 8.0.10211.204

Firmware: 1232.5951.1249.0001

Hardware: 1.0.0.0

Please use plain text.