Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Contributor
_jovi

Funny thing. I too have a lumia 820 from T-mobile DE, and after portico I have the FW number:

And I have a sandisk 16G class 10, with which I encounted some freeze before protico. During the update I did not remove the card and the phone could not even restart: it showed the word "NOKIA" on a black screen like forever. So I manually turned off the phone by removing the battery as well as the sd card, only then it completed the upgrade process. This afternoon, the phone froze itself again while playing music, so I removed the sd card (again) and never put it back.

I will either wait for an firmware upgrade, if there would be any, or buy a class 4 card, and prey that would work.

Please use plain text.
L820user

I have the L820 of F/W: 1232.5951.1249.1015 w/ a 32G Sandisk Class 4 microSD card. So far, I haven't encountered any problems. Crossing my fingers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Narziss70

After updating to firmware version 1232.5951.1249.1002 AND doing a factory reset music on SD seems to be working fine, both when put directly on the SD card by the PC, or when synced with Windows Phone Desktop (preview 3) app. At first I had only updated the firmware without doing a factory reset and duplicate files problems persisted.

Please use plain text.
Ardeshir

My phone is up-to-date with the firmware version 1232.5951.1249.1007

I just removed the SD card (Sandisk 32GB Class 10), formatted it (proper formatting not the quick one), reset my phone to the factory setting and then insert the SD card again, but the problem was still there, it was few hours waste of time. It's hopeless because Nokia is not gonna release a firmware update any soon.

Please use plain text.
sandes

I have the same problem with the following card I bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A/dp/B009QZH6JS/ref=sr_1_1?i...

The phone frequently freezes and then upon restart switches to the phone memory from the SD card memory. Only a deep format / fix using the desktop can make the phone recognize the card again. Any ETA for the firmware update?

Please use plain text.
aleisha11

sandes wrote:

I have the same problem with the following card I bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A/dp/B009QZH6JS/ref=sr_1_1?i...

The phone frequently freezes and then upon restart switches to the phone memory from the SD card memory. Only a deep format / fix using the desktop can make the phone recognize the card again. Any ETA for the firmware update?

Have you tried other memory card to isolate the issue? The software update is expected to be complete by the end of February. 

Check it here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Information-for-customers-with-Nokia-Lumia-820-and-...

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
lutra

Class 4 card will work. I have an ICIDU 32gb card inserted without any problems

Please use plain text.
PiQie

Last week I bought a 64 GB Sandisk Ultra card as well. First everything went well untill I copied around 20 GB of music onto the card using the cable and Windows Explorer. Somehow the copying stopped and the SD card remained in a "write" state, making it impossible to use it, copy more data or even format it on the computer.

Finally I managed to get the card working again by putting it in the phone and doing a factory reset.

After this it happened twice more that the card was not recognized by the phone anymore; once when downloading music from XBox music store and once when copying music from my computer.  Both times the sd card could be fixed by placing the card in the computer and using Windows disk repair utility.

I'm guessing this is the same problem you all are experiencing. But is there anyone who can tell me if this problem is fixed or when it is going to be fixed? 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HappyChappy

I'm still getting this problem with a 32G SD card. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be fixed yet? Any word on when an update will be available?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Enzo_

Petercct,

have you already tested the 32Gb Class 4?

If yes, which brand is it?   Have you synced at least 10gb on it? (freezing issues seems to appear when more than this amount of memory is reached)

Just as a reference, when I used to have a Samsung Focus phone running Windows Phone 7.5 I tried class 4 (sandisk 16gb) and class 10 (patriot 32gb) and I only had success on class 4, even loading it to its full capacity. Moreover at that time all the forums discussing the same issue concluded that the only class reliable was mostly Class 4. Check here a list of confirmed working microsd cards for WP 7.5: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=834144

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cyberbob1

Hi everyboy,

I have the Nokia 820 4G Black & one day my memory card stopped being detected by the phone, it wouldn't even allow me to save photos on to the phones memory until I removed the card.

I plugged the card into my laptop & it worked ok but said there may be a problem, so I copied everything off, reformated it & then pasted everything back on.

Once I put it back in the phone I was initially disappointed as it didn't show anything thats on the card but having gone back 10 minutes later it showed the whole lot.

I am using a Sandisk class 10 64gb. It seems that if she pop your memory card in & it doesn't come up straight away your best bet is to leave it for 10-15 mins whilst it loads everything.

I hope that helps some frustrated people out there !!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Enzo_

Hello Cyberbob1,

Thanks for the info.

You should try Class 4 microsd.   Class 10 definitely is not working.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
OldManJenkins

I had the same corruption issues happening over and over with my Nokia Lumia 810 and a SanDisk 32GB class 6 card until I reformatted it from FAT32 to exFAT.  Haven't had any issues since then (3 weeks ago).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Piratelooksat40

I chatted with Support today.  They said they have never heard of this problem and suggested I send my phone to them to look at it.  When I sent them the link to this thread, they said, it is a known problem, but they don't know when a fix will be available.

Time to hit socal media about it.

Please use plain text.
tammyin

hi , i m using 32G kingston sdhc class 4. initially the phone didnt detect the sd card, i had to remove battery n sd card, re-insert. it works fine after that.

now my problem is, whenever i tried to download apps, it will say phone storage full, please clear some space.... i wonder if apps can be stored in the sd card rather than the oh-so-limited 8G ph storage? thx!
Please use plain text.
PiQie

Hey tammyin, you can download apps from the marketplace on your computer. On the left side of the marketplace page at the bottom there is a download link for each application. When downloaded, copy the XAP file to the root of your SD card and open the store on your phone. After a few minutes an "SD card" option appears next to the Apps and games. Have fun!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GazzaSydney

got a 64gb micro sd card class 10 and all going well

just inserted, stored files and music and its going great

so it does workat 64gb, maybe just be nice to it lol

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
luckyluck6

Hi there,

As we can read above the firmware update 1232.5951.1249.1004 did not bring any improovment regarding compatibility with memory cards.

What about the latest update: 1232.5957.1308.00xx? Any experiences? (In my case: xx=02)

Please use plain text.
asdh612ods9

Lumia 820 SD-card and some music

Hi

I just got an sw update (8.0.10211.204, 1232.5957.1308.0007). Still no improvements concerning music on sd-card. The following has been a problem since the 820 was released in Sweden:

1. After a while all playlist disappear (a little bit annoying)

2. After a while I have up to 10 copies of each song (even more annoying)

3. When trying to play random list of songs the phone starts playing a song at the current volume, then the phone freezes for approximately 2-3 minutes. The only way of stopping the song is to remove back cover and battery (now I am close to throwing it out of the window)

4. Then this update today, nothing and I mean nothing has been improved. When looking at the data for the SD-card I now see that I have 56.33GB of music on a 32GB card. What is even more interesting is that "others" seem to use -54 655 350 125 byte of data ('minus?' - now this **bleep** is really funny, I'm gonna keep this phone to show my friend som piece of quality)

And yes, I have tried different cards, different types, different formating (in phone, on pc), different synch apps, restore to factory setting etc.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dw00dy

Hey Nokia what is going on, I just bought 2 SanDisk SDSDQU-016G-U46A Ultra 16GB Class 10 microSDXC cards one for my wifes `berry torch 9800 and one for my shiny new 820.Very dissapointing, card works fine in the OLD `berry but not in shiny new 820. Swapped the cards over no change, still not working, unable to save photos and phone locksup.
I then find all these post .
SO, NOKIA HOW MUCH LONGER ARE YOU GOING TO LET THIS ISSUE CARRY ON. Beginning to think i have made the wrong puchase with my 820..........
Please use plain text.