Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Counsellor
buddler

Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Hello,

I am currently and repeatedly facing issues with my lumia 820 and sd cards. I bought a SanDisk microSDXC Ultra Class 10 64 GB, tried to put about 30 GB (5800 files) music on it (via mediaplayer 12 on win 8) and experience very often freezing of the phone (only soft resets help) while:

- synchronizing music to the phone (sd card)

- playing music (random), pause and resume

- sometimes taking pictures

Afterwards the card won't be recognized by the phone. When put in my pc, it will mention "has to be repaired", but repairing is possible and the card works again afterwards.

Settings Phone:

- new music, photos and videos stored on card.

I already tried full formatting of the card, less media on the card, but it won't get better. Apart from freezing, I have trouble with lots of lags, too (as far as apps use sd card data).

Anyone with similar experiences?

How to check whether it's a matter of my phone or storage media?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Have you tried it with another sd card? No harm trying to see if the problem is with the card or the phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

I tried an old 8 gb-card. worked fine so far (but haven't tried to sync new media). But this one is not exfat or ntfs.
Errors with the 64 gb only happen, when used by the phone. Heavy pc or camera usage won't be a problem.
My only possibilities: return my Card to Amazon and get a new one or it's a Nokia/MSFT problem.

So, most 64 gb will be this sandisk one: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A/dp/B009QZH6JS/ref=sr_1_1?i...
Anyone having the same?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
petercc

Exactly the same problem - Lumia 820 freexes when trying to sync with Windows Media player - 32GB Sandisk.

After lots of frustrating attempt - finally got the information that it is a 'known problem' to Nokia and they are 'working on it'.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

BTW: Do you have lots of music on your card? How long does it take to start a random playlist?
When I do that, music comes out, but I cannot do anything on the phone (no lockscreen, no volume, no pause or skip) except maybe a bit scrolling in the music hub or nokia music.
the reactions of tapping, closing, stopping, etc. come maybe 1 to 1 1/2 minutes later.
When the playlist finally runs, all is fine again.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

I now know that this is a 'known problem' by Nokia. Apparently they are currently rushing out a firmware update which will resolve this frustrating problem.

Please use plain text.
Slatts

Same issue for me. Has anyone got an eta on the firmware?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

Had a very frustrating few weeks.
I have a Lumia 820. Bought a 32GB Class 10 Sandisk SD card. Problems from the word go - freezing / locking when trying to access / sync with computer. No problem wit the card (checked on other systems). After such a long time talking with various Nokia personnel: THeLumia 820 can only support MU 22 to MU 44. In other word old slow class 4 maximum cards! What a joke. Another Nokia person told me they were rushing out a firmware update to reslove the issue. So, at the moment I have a 'phon in which I cannot load a 'modern' fast SD card.
Any suggestion would be better than those I have so far had from Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Narziss70

Same problem here. Phone seems to work well enough without SD card, but it's a total mess with the SD card. SD card is ULTRA MICROSDXC 64GB CLASS 10 (SDSDQU-064GU46A).

I didn't buy the 920 because it did not have the SD card! Btw, not putting it is a weird choice: in case people at Nokia aren't aware of it roaming charges make data plans basically useless abroad, so having 10 petabytes on Skydrive is not a solution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gabyzune

I have the same issue but I have Lumia 810 - Tmobile. Here is the detail.

32GB Sandisk - Lumia 810 and Windows Phone 8 causes issues such as:

(1) tap Settings - then blank screen - then go back to Home

(2) when shutting down WP8, it says "goodbye" forever and it does not go away. I have to detach the battery.

(3) Occasional freezes - need to do step (2) to force reboot

(4) Go to music > songs, causes OS to freeze

(5) Go to music > albums, select one and cannot play - OS freeze

Now I am using 8GB Sandisk and experiencing no issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

As written some posts above, my phone freezes, when accessing music (especially long playlists or just playing a song when the phone does not know the last song played before). Then I often hear the song playing, but volume control, screenlock and every other interaction with the phone will cause nothing for sometimes up to 2 minutes. Afterwards all user input will happen at once.

Quite embarrassing when your first song comes with full volume and is maybe not mainstream.

Some days ago, I wanted to listen to music at work and my boss came... I had to hold down my fingers on the loudspeaker to minimize embarrassment ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

You describe my symptoms exactly.

Am about to try a class 4 32GB card - have been told by Nokia that this will be ok.

Question: Do we think it is a Nokia problem or Microsoft Windows 8?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petercct

This relates to gabyzune post
Please use plain text.
jdefuria

Similar problem here. Class 10 64 GB sandisk card in my Lumia 822.  The device won't even recognize the card, and when the card is in the device, I cannot connect to the PC with the windows phone 8 app.  (I get a "your phone isn't playing nice with the pc" error message.  I'm trying a standard (not quick) format on the PC,  but I assume at this point it won't help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pete_In_Oz

Got the 820 yesterday on the Optus Network here in Australia.Wanted the 820 because it supported 64GB, i put a 32GB Sandisk in ...no good..**bleep**???  so what do i do ??...Not happy:cursing:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pete_In_Oz

I received this via twitter:

@NokiaHelps: @gawlerpete Hi this is no recommended list of card just micro sd.  If using 64GB card, this should be SDXC type. ^HM

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
irelanddav

same prob with sandisk class 10 32gb  tech guy tried it on his phone and confirmed problem

got cheap 32gb class 4 works fine maybe sorted on next update in jan 2013

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

Is there no possibility for nokia to maintain a "known-problem and status"-list?

@some posts before (twitter message from nokia): the sandisk 64 gb card is SDXC. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gabyzune

I have 3 micro SD cards:

- 8GB sandisk

- 16GB 16GB "amazon basics" brand

- 32GB sandisk

None of them are working in Lumia 810. Lumia can recognize the SD card, but no file in "Music" folder is recognized. I copy the music files (WMA, MP3) from Windows Explorer.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

When there is lots of music, it can take a while for the phone to index the whole content.

Have you tried to sync music with the windows media player? Then it should work.

How is the file structure of your music? Is everything properly id3-tagged?

Have you tried to take pictures and store them on the sd card?

Please use plain text.